The world of Harry Potter has captured the hearts and minds of readers across the globe for the past two decades.
If you consider yourself one of the millions of “Potterheads” across the world, then consider a Potter-inspired name for your pooch! Besides the beloved title character, the series has provided the world with some distinct—and uniquely named—individuals that are sure to match your dog’s magic side.
For your wizard on four legs, the Harry Potter series undoubtedly offers excellent options for the perfect name!
Harry Potter Characters
- “Albus” / “Dumbledore“. Albus Dumbledore, Hogwarts’ revered Headmaster, and one of the series’ most iconic characters. He is additionally one of Voldemort’s biggest opponents.
- Aberforth – Albus Dumbledore’s brother and one of the original members of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Alasto – Professor Moody aka Mad Eye Moody, who taught Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts.
- Alecto – Professor of Muggle Studies and a Death Eater.
- “Amos” / “Diggory” – Amos Diggory, a stout and snappy dresser, is the father of the late Cedric Diggory, whose death deeply affected him forever.
- “Andromeda” / “Tonks” – Tonks was a Hufflepuff witch and member of the Order of the Phoenix.
- “Arabella” / “Figg” – A quintessential cat lady, Dumbledore gives her the important duty of keeping an eye on Harry Potter throughout his youth.
- Bagshot – Bathilda Bagshot was a magical historian who wrote A History of Magic
- “Bellatrix” / “Lestrange” – Bellatrix Lestrange was a death eater loyal to Lord Voldemort, and sister to Draco’s mother.
- Diggory – Cedric Diggory was a Hufflepuff student killed by Voldemort.
- Cho Chang – A member of Ravenclaw house at Hogwarts who later becomes a member of Dumbledore’s Army.
- Dedalus Diggle – An eccentric wizard and fan of Harry Potter.
- Dobby – A short and large-eared house-elf, later turned close friend of Harry Potter.
- Umbridge – Dolores Umbridge was a high-ranking Hogwarts official, eventually imprisoned in Azkaban for her reckless and brutal abuse of power.
- “Draco” / “Malfoy” – Draco Malfoy is Harry’s rival and enemy.
- Dursley – Dudley Dursley was the pampered muggle cousin of Harry Potter.
- Filch – Caretaker of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and fond of his pet cat, Mrs. Norris.
- Fleur – Fleur Delacour was oftentimes perceived as arrogant, but marries Bill Weasley.
- Filius Flitwick – The part-goblin Charms Master at Hogwarts.
- Gideon – A member of the original Order of the Phoenix.
- Gilderoy – Villain character in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
- Ginny – Ron’s sister and Harry’s love interest.
- Godric – Founder of Hogwarts.
- Ollivander –Garrick Ollivander is an elderly wandmaker who has supplied some of the most talented wizards with their equipment.
- Hedwig – A snowy owl and close companion to Harry Potter.
- Hermoine Granger – One of the central characters throughout the series, having been a friend of Ron and Harry since the first book.
- Lucius – Lucius Malfoy is father of Draco Malfoy, and a known Death Eater
- Luna Lovegood – A slightly zany witch who is often the brunt of teasing by her fellow classmates at Hogwarts.
- “Minerva” / “McGonagall” – McGonagall is another high-ranking Hogwarts official, both revered and strict.
- Mundungus Fletcher – Known for his backdoor deals and unlawful actions, he is nonetheless a faithful fighter against Voldemort.
- “Newt” / “Scamander” – Newt Scamander is a lover of magical animals, a famous Magizoologist, and author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- Pomfrey – The Hogwarts school nurse, known for her slightly obsessive-compulsive tendencies but simultaneous her excellent bedside manner.
- “Remus” / “Lupin” – Remus Lupin – a Hogwarts professor who attended school with Harry Potter’s father.
- “Rubeus” / “Hagrid” – Hagrid – Large in both stature and heart, he serves the important role of introducing Harry to the world of wizarding.
- Severus Snape – A slightly cold and reclusive member of the Hogwarts staff, he was nonetheless devoted to Dumbledore as well as Harry.
- Sirius – Sirius Black, Harry Potter’s godfather, also a wizard who attended Hogwarts.
- Salazar – Founder of the Slytherin House of Hogwarts
- Scorpius – Draco Malfoy’s son and the main character in Harry Potter and The Cursed Child.
- Seamus – One of Harry’s Gryffindor colleagues. Probably Harry’s most Irish friend.
- Septima Vector – A notoriously tough teacher at Hogwarts, known for the difficulty of her courses and teaching styles.
- Weasley – Surname of Harry’s favorite wizard family
- Yaxley – A Death Eater
Other Potter-Themed Dog Names
- Animagus – The term for a witch or wizard who can transform into an animal.
- Azkaban – The Prison of Azkaban is in the middle of a sea and guarded by dementors.
- Auror – An specialized group of witches and wizards who work for the Ministry of Magic to fight against the Dark Arts.
- Boggart – A shape-shifting creature who takes on your worst fear.
- Diagon – For Diagon Alley, a street full of magical shops and businesses.
- Grimmauld – For Grimmauld Place, the childhood home of Sirius Black.
- Gringotts – Wizarding bank.
- “Golden Snitch” / “Snitch” – The highly sought after gold flying game piece from the popular game of Quidditch.
- “Gryffindor” / “Gryff” – A house of Hogwarts that selects the most courageous residents, including Dumbledore and Harry Potter himself.
- Hogwarts – The famed school for Witchcraft and Wizardry—it is similar to a boarding school, except it is exclusive to kids who have magical powers.
- Hogsmeade – A magical town outside of Hogwarts that the students often visit on break.
- Horcrux – Object containing a piece of the maker’s soul, used famously by Voldemort.
- Hufflepuff – The house of Hogwarts that is best known for promoting character traits such as integrity and work ethic.
- “JK Rowling” / “Rowling” – The author of the Harry Potter series, making her one of the most influential and wealthy individuals of the past few decades.
- Muggle – The term used to describe normal people without wizarding abilities in the world of Harry Potter.
- Mungo – A wizarding hospital.
- Nimbus – Manufacturer of Harry’s broomstick, the Nimbus 2000.
- Quibbler – Magical magazine printed by Luna’s Father, Xenophilius Lovegood.
- Quidditch – The favorite sport of wizards in the world of Harry Potter—it involves riding broomsticks and scoring points against two opposing teams.
- Ravenclaw – The house that prefers cleverness to courage and honesty.
- Slytherin – The notorious Hogwarts house that was populated by evildoers such as Dolores Umbridge and Draco Malfoy.
- Squib – The name for an individual born into a wizarding family, but lacking any magic.
Harry Potter Dog and Animal Characters
- Aragog : Hagrid’s friend, a flesh-eating spider.
- Fluffy : Hagrid’s pet three-headed dog who guards the Chamber of Secrets
- Padfoot : Sirius’ wolf Animagus name
- Crookshanks : Hermione Granger’s pet cat.
- Norbert : Hagrid’s pet dragon
- Fang : Hagrid’s pet bloodhound dog
- Fawkes : Dumbledore’s Phoenix
- Buckbeak : The name the hippogriff that becomes Sirius’ companion
- Mrs. Norris : Filch’s pet cat.
- Prongs : The name of James Potter’s (Harry Potter’s dad) stag Animagus.
Did we miss any of your favorite Harry Potter themed dog names? Share your picks in the comments!
Featured Image Source: https://www.vintagepetrescue.org/
Looking for even more awesome dog naming ideas? Check out our articles on:
August 27, 2020
My Harry Potter inspired dog names for my two labs are Luna and Bane.