There’s no better example of man’s best friend than a good old hunting dog.
From Labradors to Foxhounds, dogs are born hunters—so a name that reflects this natural trait is the perfect way to bring out your dog’s roots.
From famous hunters to guns and more, the hobby and lifestyle of hunting provide you with many ideas to call your pooch!
Top Hunting Dog Names
Here are some of our favorite ideas for Hunting dog names!
- Tally Ho
Dog Names Based Off Of Guns & Ammunition
Here are some of our favorite ideas for Guns & Ammunition names!
- Brown Bess
Famous Hunters – Fictional and Otherwise
- Annie Oakley : A famous sharpshooter from Buffalo Bill’s show, immortalized in the musical Annie Get Your Gun.
- Artemis : The Greek goddess of hunting.
- Buffalo Bill : Famed for his world-renowned Wild West show in the early 20th century.
- Diana : The Roman version of Artemis. Make sure to see more Roman dog names for additional inspiration!
- Elmer Fudd : A Looney Tunes character who obsessively hunts Bugs Bunny.
- Frank Butler : Husband of Annie Oakley and a famed shooter in Buffalo Bill’s shows.
- Orion : A constellation named after a mythological hunter.
- Teddy Roosevelt : The 26th U.S. President who loved the outdoors and hunting.
- Kit Carson : A prominent figure in westward expansion, known for his vast knowledge of the west as well as trapping.
Want more hunting dog info? Check out our articles on:
February 16, 2019
Under guns and ammunition names. We had a black lab named Kimber
June 2, 2018
I think you should add ‘Colt’ as a great gun-based name for a dog. Great site BTW!