Do you love Mexican culture?
If you can’t get over there for your next vacation, why not consider naming your pooch after something Mexican-inspired? Check out this list of Mexican places, foods, landmarks and more!
Mexican Locations For Dog Names
- Carmen: Named for “Playa del Carmen”, which is a popular and beautiful beach in Yucatán Peninsula
- Copper / Copper Canyon: A canyon series in Mexico that is deeper than the Grand Canyon!
- Oaxaca: A very traditional Mexican city, it has escaped a lot of modernization.
- Tulum: Tulum features some of the most beautiful beaches and most awe-inspiring ruins.
- Isla Cozumel: One of the best places to scuba dive!
- Izamal: Every building in this city is yellow!
- Mérida: A sweet city that is chock-full of art galleries, restaurants, museums, and theaters.
- Mazatlán: A beautiful beach and town full of vivid, historic Mexican culture
- Guadalajara: The second largest city in Mexico, and home of many diverse museums and other cultural sights.
- Akumal: The direct translation means “Place of the Turtles”, and is a nesting ground where sea turtles lay their eggs.
Mexican Landmarks For Dog Name Ideas
- (San) Lorenzo: Largest city in Mesoamerica between 1200-900 BC
- Balankanche: A series of ancient Mayan caves
- Azulejo: Comes from “Casa de los Azulejos”, and is an urban palace from 1793.
- Ángel: Comes from “Ángel de la independencia”, which is a large statue of an angel that was erected in 1910
- Zólaco: Named for a vibrant city square in México
Dog Names Inspired by Important Mexican People
- Frida / Kahlo: Frida Kahlo was an artist who suffered from a lot of injuries. Her art is displayed all over the world, although there is the “museo Frida Kahlo”, which is museum dedicated to her work, in Mexico.
- Hernan: Man who conquered the Aztec Empire
- Cortes: Last name of the man who conquered the Aztec Empire
- Hidalgo: Miguel Hidalgo was a Mexican priest who led others to take up arms against the Spanish
- Benito Juarez: Juarez ruled and helped to modernize Mexican culture
- Pancho: Pancho Villa is a bandit who joined the revolution
- Diego Rivera: Husband to Frida Kahlo, artist, and socialist
- Rodolfo Neri Vela: The first Mexican who traveled to space!
Mexican Food Dog Names
- Taco (Everyone knows what a Taco is, but did you know that the word “taco” means “cleats”? Yes, as in soccer cleats!)
- Pan de Muerto: Pan de Muerto translates to “Bread of the dead”, and it is a staple around Día de Los Muertos, or, the day of the dead!
- Tequila: Tequila was traditionally made in the Mexican city of Guadalajara.
Other Mexican Dog Name Ideas
- Amigo/a: Friend
- Lobo: Wolf
- Perro: Dog
- Zorro: Fox
- Alma: Soul
- Che: Buddy
- Bonita: Pretty
- Sierra: Montana
- Sol: Sun
- Toro: Bull
- Solana: Sunny spot
- Tigre: Tiger
- Paloma: Dove
Popular Male Mexican Names
Popular Female Mexican Names
Did we miss any Mexican pup names that you like? Like us know in the comments!
Want more name ideas? Check out our articles on: