You can’t judge a book by its cover, just like you can’t judge a dog by his appearance.
The notion of a “tough dog” might conjure up images of pit bulls and Rottweilers, but sometimes the toughest dogs on the block can be a sassy little Chihuahua or a sweet-seeming dachshund.
Regardless of the breed, a tough dog needs an appropriately tough name. From outlaws to law enforcers, film stars to legendary figures, give your hardy hound a name he or she deserves!
Tough Dog Names
These generic tough-pup names will highlight the hard-as-nails quality of your gruff mutt:
Tough Animals (That Could Be Dog Names)
Here’s a list of fierce animals that also make great names for your tough pooch:
- Bear (check out our collection of dog names that mean “bear” too)
- Honey Badger
Dogs Names Inspired By Tough People
From the Wild West to the Russian Empire, tough guys and gals have left their mark on the world. Maybe one of these stalwart stars is the perfect inspiration for your pup!
- Al Capone – The infamous gangster who lived many years in Alcatraz.
- Annie Oakley – History’s most renowned sharpshooter, who rose to prominence in Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show.
- Bonnie Parker – The female half of the famed fugitive Bonnie and Clyde duo.
- Clint Eastwood – One of Hollywood’s toughest personalities, he is known for his tough guy roles in films like Dirty Harry and Million Dollar Baby.
- Clyde Barrow – Bonnie Parker’s male companion, known for their bank robbing antics.
- John Wayne – One of old Hollywood’s most famed personalities, he is the star of a host of classic films such as True Grit and The Searchers
- Mike Tyson – A highly successful and prolific American boxer.
- Rasputin – The mysterious Russian figure who is the subject of many a myth and legend (qualifying this as a great mythological dog name too). He reportedly survived a number of near-death experiences throughout his lifetime.
- Simon Cowell – Reality television’s beloved British personality, known for his harsh critique of contestants on American Idol.
- Spartacus – A famed and fierce Roman gladiator (see more Roman dog names).
- Theodore Roosevelt – The 26th President of the United States, he is well known for his love of the outdoors.
- Tonya Harding – A figure skater from the early 1990s who, despite her athletic prowess, is best known for her role in the attack of her rival Nancy Kerrigan.
- Vin Diesel – The quintessential and lovable tough guy, he is the star of films in the Fast and Furious series.
- Wyatt Earp – One of the Wild West’s most famed heroes, he played a role in taming the west at the O.K. Corral.
Tough Characters as Dog Names
Moviegoers, readers, and gamers love a tough hero – perhaps one of these beloved tough characters is a match for your tough mutt!
- Katniss Everdeen – The central figure and winner of the contest in the Hunger Games series.
- Rocky Balboa – The titular character in the Rocky film series, played by Sylvester Stallone.
- Thor – Historically the Norse God known for his iconic hammer, his popularity has enjoyed a resurgence in recent years thanks to the latest Marvel films. We think this would be a great pit bull dog name!
- Tony Soprano – The central character in the television show The Sopranos.
- James Bond – Better known as 007, the iconic British spy played notoriously over the years by actors such as Sean Connery and Daniel Craig.
- Princess Leia – The late and great Carrie Fisher’s character in the Star Wars films, she is known for her hand to hand combat.
- Lara Croft – The star of the Tomb Raider video game, over the years she has become an action icon.
- Mulan – Based on a Chinese legend, the title character of the Disney animated film poses as a man to save her father from the draft.
- Robin Hood – The iconic hero depicted in many a film, known for his heroic acts for the poor.
- Indiana Jones – Portrayed in the film series by Harrison Ford, he is known for his clever and action-packed excursions.
Did we find the toughest names out there for your gritty doggy? Let us know your favorite name for hard-hearted pups in the comments below!
Want more name ideas? Check out our guides on: