The Viking Age—a captivating period of history involving the mystical nature of the North and the fascinating people that sailed throughout its seas.
The Vikings hailed from the Scandinavian region, and their influence spread across the North Atlantic and beyond. Stories mixed with history and mythology make up what we know about these spellbinding people today. One thing is for sure—the bold characters that pepper Viking history undoubtedly would make excellent and unique names for dogs!
From famed Vikings to the Norse gods that inspired them, this era certainly provides a bounty of brilliant ideas to name your pooch.
Famous Vikings As Dog Names
- Berserker – The name given to the fierce fighting Viking warriors.
- “Ironside” / “Bjorn Ironside” – A Viking of the 9th century who was known for ruling Sweden.
- “Bloodaxe” / “Eric Bloodaxe” – A notoriously named Viking who helped to bring Norway together as a nation.
- Erik the Red – Perhaps history’s best remembered Viking, he is best known for developing the first settlements on Greenland.
- Harald Hardrada – One of Norway’s most famed kings, he was one of the Viking’s last best known figures.
- Ivar the Boneless – A Viking leader who clashed with the Anglo-Saxons in pursuit of new lands.
- Leif Eriksson – Son of Erik the Red, he is best remembered for being the first European to land in North America.
- Olaf Tryggvason – One of Norway’s early kings, he is credited with bringing Christianity to the nation and its people.
- “Ragnar” / “Ragnar Lothbrok” – Despite this Viking’s name recognition, largely due to popular culture, his existence is under question by many historians.
- Rollo – Large in stature and importance, this influential Viking lived during the 9th and 10th centuries. He is famed for being the original Duke of Normandy.
- “Forkbeard” / “Sweyn Forkbeard” – A Danish King aptly named for his twofold beard.
- Ubba – One of the leaders of The Great Army, which was instrumental in the fight against the Anglo-Saxons.
Dog Names That Are Norse Mythological Figures
- Aegir – Norse word for an elderly magician.
- Freyja – The Norse goddess of love, known for her beauty and her sensuality.
- Loki – The cunning and sly Norse God with an evil streak—in fact, he’s the father of Hel, the goddess of the Underworld.
- Odin – An elderly and wise deity respected throughout Norse mythology—his name is the inspiration behind “Wednesday”.
- Saga – The Norse goddess of—you guessed it—stories.
- Skadi – The Norse goddess of winter and the associated activities, such as skiing.
- Thor – Perhaps the best-known figure of Norse mythology, rarely seen without his hammer.
- Tyr – The Norse God of war.
- Valhalla – The Norse idea of the afterlife—a heavenly place lead by Odin
Other Norse Dog Name Ideas
- Bjorn (bear)
- Rune (secret)
- Ulf (wolf)
- Birger (rescue)
- Astrid (beautiful)
- Bodil (battle)
- Frida (peace)
- Revna (raven)
- Hilda (battle)
- Tove (beautiful)
- Sigrid (victory)
- Magnus (great)
Did we forget any awesome Viking or Norse dog names? Share your picks in the comments!
Be sure to check out some of our similar dog-name articles before you settle on a title for your terrier!