If you have a furry floofer that constantly sheds, you’re no stranger to constantly lint-rolling the couch and all of your clothes. One of the reasons Fido is shedding so much could be due to his bathing routine.
There are a number of anti-shedding dog shampoos that can help strengthen your pup’s coat and leave him looking his best.
We share some of our favorite dog shampoos for shedding below and outline some of the things that may be causing your dog to lose so much fur. But, if you’re in a hurry, just check out our quick picks and start enjoying a more hair-free home.
Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding: Quick Picks!
- #1 FURminator deShedding Shampoo [Best Overall Anti-Shedding Shampoo]: Made with natural plant extracts and enriched with skin-supporting fatty acids, this is the best choice for most heavy-shedding pooches.
- #2 Earthbath Ultra-Mild Puppy Shampoo [Best for Heavy Shedding Puppies]: This US-made, tear-free shampoo is specifically designed to reduce shedding in puppies and features a delightful wild-cherry scent.
- #3 Burt’s Bees Natural Shed Control Shampoo [Gentlest Option for Dogs with Sensitive Skin]: Made with all-natural ingredients that won’t dry out your pup’s skin, this vet-recommended shampoo is completely free of harsh chemicals.
Do Dog Shedding Shampoos Really Work?
If you’re used to finding fur all over your carpets, rugs, and couch, you’re probably skeptical as to how effective dog shedding shampoos actually are.
While these shampoos will certainly keep your pooch looking and feeling great, the anti-shedding efficacy will vary from dog to dog. However, anti-shedding shampoos do work very well for some dogs.
This makes them a high-upside, low-downside proposition:
- If they work, great! It’ll mean less cleaning for you, a more comfortable canine, and maybe even the chance to save money at the groomer.
- Even if they don’t work, they don’t present much risk. Worst case scenario, your pup gets a dog-safe bath and smells better for a while.
Note that dogs should only use products and grooming tools specifically designed for pet use. Human shampoo is usually far too acidic for dogs and can harm your dog’s skin and coat.
You may notice more fur coming off of your pet’s coat during bath time while using any dog shampoo, but don’t let that bother you: Those are simply hairs you won’t have to vacuum up later. It can also reduce your dog’s discomfort and help him feel his best.
What Ingredients Are in Dog Shedding Shampoos? How Do They Work?
Dog shedding shampoos work by restoring the natural condition of your dog’s coat. They usually do so by featuring milder ingredients that won’t irritate your dog’s skin. Many also include coat- and skin-soothing nutrients, making them a great option for dogs with sensitive skin.
Many shedding shampoos also have a number of restorative ingredients to help keep your pup’s coat properly moisturized and in tip-top shape. Some of those ingredients include:
- Fatty Acids — Omega-3 acids are key to giving your pooch a super shiny coat. In fact, some humans take omega-3 supplements (or use shampoos fortified with them) to support proper hair and nail growth.
- Vitamin E — Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant that helps protect’s your dog’s skin cells making their coats stronger, and less likely to shed.
- Oats or Oat Protein — Oats are known to help reduce excess oils and help exfoliate skin, and therefore reduce shedding or dandruff issues.
- Plant Extracts — Plant extracts like Aloe vera contain special enzymes that help repair dead skin and hair that may contribute to excess shedding. Just note that some can cause gastrointestinal upset, so be sure your pooch doesn’t lick the shampoo off his coat.
Pet Pro Tip: Make sure you deal with any tangles or mats before giving your dog a bath.
The Five Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding
Below, we’ll dive into some great dog shampoos for reducing shedding. Just be sure to pick the best one for your pupper’s specific needs.
1. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo
About: FURminator offers effective de-shedding shampoo at an affordable price for at-home grooming.
FURminator deShedding Shampoo
- Comes in 16-ounce and 1-gallon sizes
- Enriched with Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids to protect your dog’s delicate coat
- Features Calendula, Vitamin E, and Papaya Leaf extract to support coat growth
- Must be left on your pooch for about 5-10 minutes before rinsing
- Contains no parabens or chemical dyes
Most customers had great success with this shampoo and noticed considerably less shedding — especially when combined with a regular brushing routine. The shampoo helped to remove excess fur during bath time so that owners had less mess to clean up around the house later.
Though critical reviews were few and far between, this heavily-scented shampoo is not the mildest option available for heavy shedders. Therefore, it may not be the best pick for dogs with sensitive skin.
2. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
About: This mild de-shedding shampoo by Earthbath effectively cleans your pooch without the use of harsh chemicals.
Earthbath Puppy Shampoo
- Coconut-based cleanser for natural moisturization
- Made in the USA ensuring a top-quality product
- Can be diluted for more sensitive skin types
- pH balanced and tear-free formula
- Should be left on for 90-seconds before rinsing out thoroughly
Owners loved the ultra-gentle nature of this puppy shampoo and felt comfortable using it on adults and young dogs. The light cherry scent was pleasant without being overbearing, leaving pups smelling great after bath time.
For some owners, this shampoo was particularly difficult to rinse out with its abundance of natural moisturizers, so it may not be the best pick for dogs with oily skin.
3. Top Performance Shed Patrol De-Shedding Dog Shampoo
About: Top Performance offers an excellent de-shedding shampoo that can be used on both dogs and cats.
Top Performance De-Shedding Shampoo
- Safe for both dogs and cats
- Made with Aloe vera to help soothe the skin and wheat germ oil for promoting a healthy coat
- Light orange scent
- Safe for puppies and kittens over 6 weeks old
- Can be rinsed out right after proper application
Most owners loved the formula of this shampoo and were impressed by its ability to remove unnecessary hairs during bath time. Plus, the shampoo was gentle enough to be used on cats and dogs, making it great for households with multiple pets.
While there were very few critical reviews, some owners found the orange scent very strong. The shampoo worked well for most pets, but it wasn’t especially effective for all dogs.
4. Espree Simple Shed Treatment
About: Espree offers this shed treatment in a bulk 1-gallon size making it a great choice for owners with larger dogs or multiple pets.
Espree Simple Shed Treatment
- Embedded Vitamins A, D, E, and Aloe vera to promote healthy coat growth
- Helps release lose and undercoat hairs during bath time
- The biodegradable formula can be used during outdoor baths
- Comes in a large 1-gallon size that doesn’t need to be diluted
- Must sit for 10 minutes before being thoroughly rinsed out
Owners loved the gentle formula of this shampoo and appreciated the bulk size for use with large breeds. The shampoo seemed to reduce shedding and helped owners remove unnecessary hairs during bath time.
While this anti-shedding shampoo had very few negative reviews, a couple of customers found that the shampoo can cause itching if not thoroughly washed out, so make sure you’re properly rinsing out the product. Also, it may be tricky to keep your canine calm for 10 minutes while waiting to rinse it off.
5. Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo
About: This natural shed control shampoo by Burt’s Bees is safe for both adult dogs and puppies.
Burt’s Bees Shed Control Shampoo
- Contains no sulfates, parabens, or petroleum which can dry out your dog’s skin
- Suitable for all dogs and puppies
- Fortified with Vitamin E and Omega-3s to strengthen hair
- Can be rinsed immediately after massaging through your dog’s coat
- Safe to use with topical flea and tick treatment
Owners loved how this gentle shampoo had little to no scent. The shampoo seemed to reduce shedding for most users. Plus, the shampoo left pup coats feeling soft and supple. We also love that you don’t have to wait several minutes before rinsing it out.
There weren’t many critical reviews on this anti-shedding shampoo, and while most owners saw some improvement in shedding, some customers hoped for a more substantial result.
Other Factors That May Cause Shedding
While anti-shedding shampoos can certainly help your pup shed less, there are a number of factors that may play into your dog’s excessive shedding.
- Brushing — Most dogs should be brushed a couple of times a week to keep Fido’s coat healthy and reduce shedding. Make sure you’re using the proper tools as brushes vary from dog to dog depending on coat type. Short-haired dogs require different brushes than long-haired dogs! While short-haired dogs can get away with short-nubbed brushes and grooming gloves, long-haired doggos will likely require owners to use dematting combs or even matt cutters in extreme cases.
- Seasonal Changes — If you live in an area with seasons, your dog’s coat is likely to change based on the weather that may equate to more shedding. Also, many breeds experience a twice-a-year heavy shedding event. These are most common in the spring and fall.
- Medical Condition — It’s possible that an infection or underlying disease could be causing noticeable hair loss. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian if you suspect your dog’s excessive shedding could be symptomatic of something larger.
- Proper Diet — A proper diet is essential for promoting proper coat growth. Make sure your dog’s food is full of omega-3s and other fatty acids to support flawless fur. Check out some of the best dog foods for shedding to get some ideas.
Need some more help conquering your canine fur problem? Check out our favorite tips and tricks for reducing shedding!
Bath time can be a great time to bond with your doggo in a unique way while keeping him looking his best. Anti-shedding shampoo can make help soothe Fido’s skin and help you reduce carpet cleanup later on.
Have you tried any of these anti-shedding shampoos with success? What’s your dog’s preferred grooming routine? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!