As a pooch parent, you’ve probably seen your dog slide across hardwood floors at some point in his life. While this can be amusing to watch for a few minutes, you don’t want to allow this problem to persist.
Sliding around isn’t fun for your pooch, and a dog’s nails can also damage your hardwoods, which is certainly not ideal.
Fortunately, there are a ton of dog socks on the market that can help your pet get a grip and protect your floors at the same time.
We’ll share some of our favorite Fido foot coverings — and explain the things you’ll want to look for when making your choice — below.
Quick Picks: Best Dog Socks for Hardwood Floors
- #1 RC Pet Products Pawks Dog Socks [Best Overall] — Looking for socks that’ll simply give your dog better traction and protect your floors? These are an easy choice. These socks check off all the major criteria owners would want (except straps), and they’re available in six sizes and 19 color patterns.
- #2 EXPAWLORER Double Side Anti-Slip Dog Socks [Best Overall Runner Up] — These socks are only available in three sizes and a single color pattern, but they’re otherwise awesome and feature both straps and textured rubber bottoms.
- #3 Weixinbuy Anti-Slip Knit Socks [Most Affordable] — If you just need some functional, yet affordable socks so your dog can get better traction on your floors, these are a great — and amazingly budget-friendly — pick.
What Are the Benefits of Socks for Dogs?
While not every pooch needs dog socks, these handy tools can make your dog’s life a little bit easier and provide a variety of benefits. Some of the most noteworthy benefits include:
- Provide Better Traction — If you have hardwood, linoleum, or tile flooring, your dog may struggle to get a grip. But most dog socks have textured bottoms, which can help your pooch stay stable and enjoy better traction on slippery floor surfaces.
- Great For Dogs With Mobility Issues — Dogs of advanced age and those suffering from joint problems often struggle to gain traction on slick floors, which can not only lead to falls, but it can also make your dog feel uneasy while simply walking around. But the additional traction socks provide will give your golden oldie more confidence and allow him to prance around your pooch palace.
- Protects Flooring — In addition to giving your dog traction, dog socks will help dog-proof your flooring, protecting hardwood floors from the scrapes and scratches your dog’s claws may cause. They’ll also quiet the clickety-clackety sounds of his nails on the floor.
- Keep Your Dog’s Paws Warm — If you live in a colder area or have a pint-sized pooch, it might be difficult for your dog to stay warm during the colder months. While dog sweaters are one solid option, dog socks can also help your four-footer stay nice and cozy throughout any season.
- They’re Adorable — While aesthetics may not be the most substantial dog sock benefit, you can’t deny that a dog in socks is downright adorable. There are plenty of dog sock styles so that you can find a pair that suits your four-footer best.
Picking Out Socks for Your Pooch: Things to Think About
There is no shortage of dog socks on the market — in fact, there are likely hundreds of different options available at any point in time. But that doesn’t mean they’re all high-quality products, as some will be much better than others.
Here are a couple of key factors to take into consideration to ensure Spot’s new socks are a great fit:
- Sizing — Take the time to measure your dog’s paw according to the manufacturer’s instructions before purchasing your dog socks. If the socks are too big, your dog will likely lose a couple while walking around the house (or he may simply kick them off from the get go). If the socks are too small, your dog will have a tough time wearing them to begin with.
- Straps Are Helpful — Straps can help keep dog socks firmly in place. This is especially helpful for doggos who don’t like wearing them and immediately start trying to take them off.
- Textured Bottom — You’ll want to make sure that your dog socks of choice have a textured bottom for gripping purposes. Without this feature, the socks won’t serve much of a purpose other than keeping your pooch’s paws warm (and being cute).
- Washable Design — Your dog’s socks are bound to get dirty so you’ll want to make sure they’re easy to wash. It might make sense to order two pairs so that Fido will still have foot coverings while the other set is being cleaned.
- Color — You might want to opt for a darker color of dog socks as light colors are more likely to get dirty faster and hold stains over time.
The Five Best Dog Socks for Hardwood Floors
Without further ado, here are some of our favorite Fido foot coverings. Just be sure to keep the criteria discussed above in mind when making your selection.
1. RC Pet Products Pawks Dog Socks
RC Pet Products Pawks Dog Socks
Simple socks that’ll keep your pup’s paws warm and provide basic traction
About: These dog socks from RC Pet Products are downright adorable and will help improve your dog’s traction with the rubberized grips on the underside of the socks.
With 14 different designs to choose from, you can find a set of dog socks to match Spot’s personal sense of style.
- Machine-washable design makes these dog socks super easy to clean
- Anti-slip bottom provides traction for dogs
- 5 flexible sizing options to fit paws of most dogs
- Adorable dog sock designs featuring sock monkeys, ballet slippers, argyle patterns, and more
- Adorable dog sock design options
- Anti-slip bottom
- Some found that this brand of socks didn’t fit as snugly as they’d hoped
2. EXPAWLORER Double Side Anti-Slip Dog Socks
About: These dog socks from EXPAWLORER have cute little anti-slip rubber dog paws and built-in velcro straps for a snug fit. The soft cotton socks are bound to keep Fido’s feet cozy throughout any season.
- Dog socks feature anti-slip grips on both sides for added traction and flexibility
- Cotton socks protect hardwood floors from unnecessary scratching from claws
- Embedded Velcro loop fastener helps keep dog socks in place while your pooch roams around the house
- Dog socks come in a pack of 6 incase Fido accidentally misplaces some of his reusable footwear
- Velcro fastener loop makes it easier to keep socks secure
- Double-sided grips provide plenty of traction
- Limited sizing options may make it difficult to find a suitable fit
3. Weixinbuy Anti-Slip Knit Socks
About: These anti-slip knit socks from Weixinbuy are perfect for any pooch who seems to constantly misplace his dog socks. The cotton socks are cozy and feature small rubber beads on the bottom to assist with grip.
- Bright pink socks are easy to find when you need them and affordable enough to replace if needed
- Textured bottom makes it easier for your dog to grip on smooth surfaces
- Cotton design keeps pooch paws cozy
- Machine washable design for an easy clean
- Affordable price
- Bright colors mean these socks are easy to find if they fall off
- Very limited sizing options, not a great option for medium to larger-sized dogs
- No straps for securing the fit
4. PUPTECK Double Side Anti-Slip Dog Socks
About: These dog socks from PUPTECK have unattached Velcro straps, giving you extra flexibility when trying to keep them on your canine’s feet. The soft dog socks have textured bottoms giving your dog valuable grip support.
- Dog socks have a hook and loop strap system (Velcro) to keep Fido’s footwear firmly in place
- Anti-slip bottoms makes it easier for you pooch to get a grip on slick floors
- Washable design makes these dog socks easy to clean
- Long socks come further up a dog’s legs to provide extra warmth throughout any season
- Most dogs didn’t seem to mind wearing these socks
- Unattached Velcro straps allow you to position the straps in the perfect place for your pup
- Limited sizing options may make it difficult to find the perfect fit
- Fastening system won’t stand up to dogs who like to chew
5. CONXKI Traction Control Cotton Socks
About: If you’re seeking out a stylish option for Spot, these traction control socks by CONXKI are a great choice. The anti-slip paw socks come in a variety of designs and feature grips on the base of the dog socks to help your pooch stay stable.
- Breathable cotton socks are machine-washable for an easy clean
- Included Velcro strips to keep socks secure while in use
- Dog socks have anti-slip grips on the bottom to keep your pooch stable
- Warm dog socks will keep Fido cozy while expressing his unique personality
- Included Velcro for a more secure fit
- Dark-colored designs help these dog socks stay clean and free of stains
- Untrimmed nails can occasionally poke through the fabric
- Some users found that these dog socks ran a bit small
Figuring Out the Right Dog Sock Size
One of the most important aspects of selecting the right dog socks for your pooch is determining the right sock size.
Here are a couple of pointers to keep in mind to ensure that you select the perfect size without issue.
- Make An Outline of Your Dog’s Paw — Rather than constantly measuring your dog’s fidgeting paw, outline your dog’s paw on a piece of paper and use that as your measurement reference. It may take a couple of tries to get the perfect paw print, but with treats and patience, you’re sure to get a usable outline in time.
- Consult Manufacturer’s Guidelines — Sizing guidelines vary from one sock to another, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s sizing recommendations before purchasing a set of dog socks.
- Larger Might Be Better — If your dog is in between two sizes, it usually makes sense to go for the larger option. Keep in mind that if the socks are made out of cotton, they might shrink slightly in the dryer anyhow.
Another Traction-Improving Option: Paw Stickers
Instead of dog socks, you may want to consider another option: Paw stickers. These little adhesive gizmos attach directly to your dog’s paws, where they provide better traction on slick floors.
Just note that these traction-improving paw stickers tend to be hit or miss — they work well for some dogs, while others seem to hate them.
However, they might be a great option for your mutt if he isn’t crazy about socks but still needs extra traction while roaming around the house.
VALFRID Dog Paw Protectors
About: These paw stickers from VALFRID are designed to provide protection and traction to your dog’s paws with a customized fit. The paw stickers last a couple of days at a time and use a hypoallergenic adhesive to stick to your dog’s paws.
- Best for dogs between 4 and 80 pounds
- Paw stickers provide traction against hardwood and tile flooring
- Can also be used outdoors to protect against hot or cold pavement
- Comes in packs of 6 or 10 sets for quick replacement
- Temporary paw stickers are perfect for occasional traction assistance
- Can be cut down for a custom fit for your pooch
- Great for providing stability when walking on hardwood floors
- Need to be replaced every couple of days
- Won’t protect your floors from scratches from claws
- Can only be used for dogs up to 80 pounds
Another Floor-Protecting Option: Nail Covers
Nail covers won’t provide traction or stability, but they’ll help prevent floor damage and quiet some of the noise your dog’s claws cause.
You’ll simply slide these over your dog’s claws and use a drop of dog-safe adhesive to keep them in place.
Dog Toe Treads
About: These Dog Toe Treads slip-on the end of your dog’s nails and will effectively protect your floors from claw scrapes and scratches. The set comes 5 sets of clear nail coverings that last for about 3 to 4 weeks.
- Nail tips are rounded to prevent scratching on hardwood floors
- Clear design for seamless application and removal
- Suitable for dogs ranging anywhere from 8 to 140 pounds
- Open back design provides suitable air flow while in use
- Easy to apply and replace
- Dogs didn’t seem to the feel of toe treads once they were secured
- Ideal for protecting hardwood floors
- While some traction may be provided, these are best suited for exclusively protecting the floor
Do Dogs Like Wearing Dog Socks?
Unfortunately, some dogs don’t seem to appreciate wearing socks.
But rest assured, most dogs will eventually learn to wear them without issue. Just try to introduce them to your dog slowly and let him sniff them a bit before putting them on his paws.
If your doggo seems to object to wearing the socks (like the cutie in the GIF above), you can take them off after a few minutes. Then, the next time, you should keep them on for a little bit longer.
Continue to progress in this fashion — and provide plenty of treats while doing so to establish a positive association — and your pooch will likely learn to take them in stride.
Dog Socks FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions and answers regarding dog socks so that you can find the perfect foot coverings for Fido.
Do dog socks work?
While dog socks might not be the optimal solution for every dog, they can provide needed traction, stability, and warmth for many four-footers. Dog socks can also protect your flooring from scratches caused by your dog’s claws.
Do dogs like wearing socks?
Every dog is different, and not all four-footers will enjoy wearing socks at first. However, your dog might learn to enjoy wearing socks if he discovers that wearing them brings stability and warmth.
Like any new item in your dog’s life, it’s important to use plenty of positive reinforcement when introducing your dog to socks, and start by only making him wear them for short periods of time.
Can you use dog socks outdoors?
This is ultimately up to you, but it may make the most sense to reserve socks for indoor use.
Dog socks used outdoors are more likely to tear with rough terrain, plus they can easily stain with dirt and other debris. If you’re looking for an outdoor solution, treat your pooch to a pair of booties.
Will dog socks give my dog better grip?
As long as your dog socks of choice have some sort of texture or gripping mechanism on the bottom of the sock, they should make it easier for your dog to maintain a grip.
Dog socks without an underlying texture may help keep your dog’s paw warm, but they won’t do much for stability and mobility.
How do I know what size socks my dog needs?
Typically, dog sock manufacturers will provide a sizing guide allowing you to measure your pup’s paw for a perfect fit.
Take the time to measure your dog’s paw properly and also check out the product reviews to get a sense of whether or not your dog socks of choice run a little bit on the larger or smaller side.
Why is my dog kicking when I put socks on him?
Putting on dog socks isn’t something that comes naturally to dogs. Your dog might be somewhat fidgety the first couple of times you attempt to put on dog socks since he hasn’t had time to fully familiarize himself with the footwear.
With practice, praise, treats, and a bit of time, your dog can learn to tolerate the process of putting on his paw protectors.
Dog socks can be a great option for pups who could use some assistance getting a grip while roaming around the house. These foot coverings for four-footers aren’t just adorable, they’re also functional.
Have you tried any of these dog sock options? How often does your pooch wear his dog socks? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!