From Great Danes to St. Bernards, big dogs each have a big personality that requires the perfect name to match.
Your pooch’s imposing size no doubt turns heads wherever he goes, so why not give him a name that highlights his stature?
From mythological giants to “big” in other languages, there are endless ways to express your dog’s height—pick the one that best suits your colossal canine!
“Big” in Other Languages
Depending on your interest in linguistics, you may consider naming your XL pooch a word that means “big” in a different language! Here are a few of our favorites.
- Didelis (Lithuanian)
- Duży (Polish)
- Grande (Spanish)
- Groot (Dutch)
- Iso (Finnish)
- Liels (Latvian)
- Mawr (Welsh)
- Mór (Irish)
- Obor (giant, Slovak)
- Riese (giant, German)
- Velika (Slovenian)
Big People and Characters
- Andre the Giant: Named for his imposing stature, he was a famous wrestler known for his rivalry with Hulk Hogan.
- Cyclops: The famed one-eyed giant from Greek mythology.
- George Washington: America’s first president, who lead the nation to independence during the American Revolution—he stood more than six feet tall.
- Goliath: From the Biblical story of David and Goliath, the latter was a giant defeated and outwitted by the smaller but cunning David.
- Hercules: The son of Zeus, he was a mythological hero who was famed for his strength.
- Abraham Lincoln: America’s tallest president and perhaps most beloved, known for helping the Union survive the Civil War.
- Orion: One of the night sky’s biggest constellations—it is named for a giant mythological character.
- Paul Bunyan: A legendary American lumberjack, known for being a giant in size and for owning Babe the Blue Ox.
- Thor: A famous character from Norse mythology, known for his size and the strength of his hammer.
- Zeus: The most powerful God in Greek mythology.
Any other great dog names for large and extra-large pooches we missed? Share your favorite large dog name ideas in the comments!
Be sure to also check out our guide on: