Hello, Pom lovers! Just as our fluff balls require an extra bit of grooming to keep their majestic coats in tip-top shape, they also need a top-notch diet to match. But which chow should you choose?
Let’s embark on this doggie-dish dilemma together!
Best Dog Food for Your Pomeranian: Quick Picks
Pom Peculiarities: Understanding Your Pomeranian’s Nutritional Needs
Each breed comes with its own unique nutritional needs and Pomeranians are no exception. Their adorable pint-sized bodies are packed with personality and, interestingly, some specific dietary requirements.
Some of the things you’ll want to look for when picking the right dog food for your Pomeranian include:
- Small Kibblets: Being small and cute comes with some challenges. Among other things, Pomeranians require small-sized kibble that’s easier to chew and digest. Fortunately, most dog foods designed for small breed dogs offer exactly that.
- Plenty of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Those enviable fluffy coats aren’t self-maintaining. To keep your Pom’s coat lush and healthy, look for food rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients support skin health and add that shine we all love in our Pomeranian’s coat!
- Complex Carbohydrates: Pomeranians, especially puppies, are prone to hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar. Choosing foods with complex carbohydrates can help maintain stable blood sugar levels. Ingredients like sweet potatoes and brown rice are a great source of these slow-releasing carbs.
- Reasonable Caloric Content: It’s a sad truth that our beloved Poms can easily tip the scales towards being overweight. Given their small frames, extra weight can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and joint issues. Foods with balanced protein and fiber, but low in fats and sugars, can help keep your Pomeranian’s waistline in check.
- Mucho Moisture: Pomeranians often suffer from bladder stones. While you can’t completely eliminate this problem via diet, ensuring that your Pom stays well hydrated — by relying on fresh or canned foods — may help. You can still opt for a kibble if you like, but just make sure you encourage your pup to drink plenty of water.
Being aware of these specific needs can help you pick the perfect chow for your Pom. Always remember, every Pomeranian is unique, so what works for one might not work for another.
The Best Foods for Your Pomeranian: Premium Pupper Picks!
Now that we’ve hashed out what our fluffy friends need in his diet, let’s get into the meat of the matter — literally. Here are our top picks for the best food to keep your Pom prancing:
1. Nom Nom: Best Overall Dog Food for Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pomeranian parents looking for the absolute best food available for their little wagger.
About: Nom Nom stands out in the pet food arena, proudly offering fresh dog food recipes made with ingredients exclusively sourced and prepared in the USA — a claim not many competitors can make. Each serving is customized to cater to the distinct needs of your canine, considering factors like breed, age, and activity levels to ensure a tailor-fit nutritional experience.
And in a nod to environmental responsibility, Nom Nom ensures that all their offerings are sustainably sourced and arrive at your doorstep in eco-friendly, fully recyclable packaging — allowing your dog to indulge while you maintain a green footprint!
First Five Ingredients: Turkey, Brown Rice, Eggs, Carrots, & Spinach
- Expert-Backed Nutrition: Nom Nom recipes are thoughtfully crafted by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist with your dog’s health and well-being as top priorities.
- Quality You Can Trust: Rest easy knowing that Nom Nom uses only ingredients sourced from the United States, prioritizing quality and safety in every bite.
- Preserving Flavor: Through gentle cooking methods, Nom Nom retains the essential flavor your canine friend deserves.
- Protein-Rich Foundation: Each recipe begins with a whole protein source, providing your dog with the vital energy and nutrients he needs to thrive.
- Options Galore: You can pick from several different primary proteins, including turkey, pork, beef, and chicken.
- Personalized for Your Pup: Nom Nom offers custom-crafted meals that cater to your dog’s allergies and specific health considerations, ensuring he receives a diet tailored to his unique needs.
- High protein content to sustain energy levels
- Includes omega-3 fatty acids for a shiny coat
- Nom Nom foods are customized for your specific pet
- More expensive than traditional kibble
- Requires refrigeration
2. Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed: Best Dry Dog Food for Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pom parents who want tip-top nutrition without breaking the bank.
About: Crafted in the USA and brimming with protein, Nutro Small Breed emerges as a preferred choice for small and toy breed dogs. Every bite of this recipe offers whole grains and a bounty of antioxidants from fresh produce, laying the foundation for your pup’s enduring health. Designed with tiny kibblets, it caters to the petite mouths of small breeds, offering ease of consumption compared to regular-sized kibble.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, & Brewers Rice
- Protein Rich: The recipe is led by chicken and chicken meal, ensuring a protein-rich diet.
- Gentle Digestion: The incorporation of fiber-filled grains and vegetables facilitates smooth digestion, making it suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Skin & Coat Care: The addition of healthy fats from flaxseed and chia seeds ensures a radiant, well-nourished coat and skin.
- Clean Recipe: The absence of corn, wheat, and soy caters to dogs prone to sensitivities from these ingredients.
- Quality Assurance: Nutro’s commitment to quality is evident, with each batch made in the USA from globally sourced ingredients.
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, Brewers Rice...,
Whole Grain Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Rice Bran, Whole Grain Oatmeal, Whole Flaxseed, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, DL-Methionine, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids for skin and coat health
- Includes antioxidants to support immune function
- Small-sized kibble is great for tiny Pom mouths
- Some dogs may prefer the taste of fresh food
- Nutro isn’t the most affordable brand
3. Purina ONE Classic Beef & Brown Rice: Best Wet/Canned Dog Food for Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Poms with picky palates or dental issues. It’s also great for doggos who don’t drink enough water.
About: Some might be taken aback by a Purina product appearing on our top list, but honestly, we believe the reputation Purina has acquired over time isn’t entirely fair. Not every Purina variant hits the mark, but this one certainly does.
Purina ONE Classic Ground Beef and Brown Rice’s ingredient list boasts a high protein content, featuring beef, chicken, liver, and pork lungs right at the top. And while many high-end wet foods steer toward grain-free recipes, we’re in favor of grain-inclusive dog foods — like this one — unless a grain-free food is crucial for your pet’s health.
First Five Ingredients: Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Liver, & Pork Lungs
- Prime Beef Takes the Lead: The delectable entrée prominently puts forward beef as the main ingredient.
- Wholesome Grain Accompaniment: Brown rice is a wholesome carbohydrate source for long-lasting energy.
- Optimal Hydration: This food’s water content keeps your furry friend well hydrated, fostering kidney health and effortless digestion.
- All-Natural Ingredients: Maintaining authenticity, the recipe resists the use of any artificial colors, flavorings, or preservatives. Plus, it doesn’t include any poultry by-products.
Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs...,
- Multiple protein sources offer the kind of taste and nutrition your Pom deserves
- Wet format helps with hydration
- A rare grain-inclusive wet dog food
- It’s not easy to store canned food leftovers
- More expensive than kibble
- Multi-protein recipes can cause problems for Poms with food allergies
4. American Journey Lamb, Brown Rice & Vegetables: Best Budget-Friendly Dog Food for Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pom parents on tight budgets who still want the best for their barker.
About: American Journey dog foods are popular for giving great bang-for-your-buck options without sacrificing quality. And this one — their Lamb, Brown Rice & Vegetables recipe — is no exception. Particularly effective for our Pomeranian pals, this unique recipe puts lamb front and center, augmented by wholesome brown rice and a medley of nutritious veggies like sweet potato and carrots.
This nourishing blend serves up plenty of protein, omega-3 fatty acids aplenty, and a welcomed break from artificial additives.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, & Rice Bran
- Lamb Plus More: Lamb, lamb meal, and turkey meal provide a ton of protein — about 23% in total.
- Awesome Grains: This recipe includes brown rice, which not only provides dietary fiber and long-lasting energy but supports gut health too.
- Vegetable Variety: The recipe incorporates a varied selection of vegetables, each chock full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to ensure your Pomeranian’s overall health.
- Omega Overload: With flaxseed and fish oils added to the mix, this blend is brimming with omega-3 fatty acids, keeping your Pom’s coat luscious and their skin in tip-top condition.
- All-Natural Awesomeness: This formula sidesteps artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives to help limit the chances of triggering intolerances or allergies.
Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Rice Bran...,
- It has great protein content to fuel your Pom’s little body
- Contains antioxidant-rich produce
- Brown rice is a great grain for most Poms and provides extra fiber content
- Multi-protein recipes can be a bummer for dogs with food allergies
- We wish it included probiotics
- Some of the best produce included (blueberries and cranberries) are pretty far down the ingredient list
5. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Puppy: Best Dog Food for Pomeranian Puppies
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This is the perfect food for most Pom puppies!
About: Tending to your petite pup’s nutritional needs? Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Puppy might just make your day. This recipe is packed with protein powerhouses and grains to keep that tail wagging energetically. With natural DHA sources to support brain and eye maturation, and spinach and berries for immune-boosting antioxidants, it beautifully balances health and taste. The kibble is also perfectly petite to fit your Pom puppy’s jaws easily.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, & Ground Brown Rice
- Meat Takes the Lead: Deboned turkey leads the pack, and it’s followed by chicken meal and salmon meal.
- Taurine Triumph: Wellness has supplemented this recipe with taurine, a crucial addition to support your little Pomeranian’s heart health.
- Digestion Defense: Probiotics are included in the mix to foster smooth digestive processes, ensuring that adorable tummy is happy and healthy.
- Homegrown Hero: Wellness prepares its dog food right here in the USA, sourcing their ingredients from highly reliable international providers.
- Grain-Inclusive FTW!: This food contains a number of nutritious grains, including oatmeal, ground brown rice, barley, and oats to provide long-lasting energy.
Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice...,
Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oats, Tomato Pomace, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract
- Tailored to meet the needs of small puppies with bite-sized kibble
- Natural DHA in the recipe supports brain and eye development
- The taste seems to get a paws-up from most canine connoisseurs
- May have to dig a bit deeper in your pocket for this quality recipe
- More protein options would make it better for pet parents of pups with dietary restrictions
6. Merrick Healthy Grains Senior: Best Dog Food for Senior Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This food is great for older Poms (7+ years of age) without specific health issues to consider.
About: Help your canine companion hit rewind and stay in tip-top shape during their twilight years with Merrick Healthy Grains Senior. This protein-rich, buoyant blend is designed to keep your Pomeranian sturdy and spry, boasting ample amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin for joint agility.
It’s also well-stocked with omega-3 fatty acids, adding a touch of gloss to your Pom’s coat, fighting inflammation, and potentially supporting ongoing brain function.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Top-Tier Meat: The leading character in this kibble episode is deboned chicken, backed by a chicken meal for an extra protein punch.
- Grain Combo: A surprise team-up of common grains like oatmeal and brown rice with quinoa, often considered an ancient seed-turned-grain.
- Free from Potatoes and Legumes: You can sigh a relief — there are no potatoes, peas, or lentils hiding in this senior grub.
- Omega Wonderland: Flaxseed and salmon oil make an appearance here, offering a slew of omega-3 fatty acids that are crucial for skin moisture and fur shine.
- Joint Cheers: It’s a thumbs up to glucosamine and chondroitin, joint health heroes for your senior fur-baby.
- Friendly to Digestion: A harmonized blend of probiotics helps make tummy times easier.
- Stars-n-Stripes Seal: Proudly concocted in the good ol’ USA using globally sourced ingredients.
Deboned chicken, Chicken meal, Brown rice, Oatmeal, Barley...,
- Delivers a higher-than-average protein content
- Coat health improvements were spotted by a few pet parents
- A diverse grain medley helps keep the digestive tract on task
- A slightly higher fat percentage may not work well for some older doggos
- We’ld love a few more veggies in the mix
7. Natural Balance Small Breed Limited Ingredient Diet: Best Dog Food for Pomeranians with Food Allergies
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This is a great option for Pomeranians with sensitive stomachs or food allergies.
About: Feed your furry friend without triggering any food sensitivities by opting for the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Small Breed formula. This mouthwatering canine chow has a short ingredient list focusing on high-grade ingredients like wholesome grains and real meat. The pint-sized kibbles are perfect for little Pomeranians, and a dose of omega-3 fatty acids will make your pup’s coat shine from the inside out.
First Five Ingredients: Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, & Rice Bran
- Single Protein: Each Natural Balance Limited Ingredient recipe features a single source of protein, making it a favorable choice for pups, particularly Pomeranians, suffering from allergies and food intolerances.
- Gut-Friendly: The dietary fiber in this recipe works wonders for your dog’s digestive system, aiding in producing firmer poops and reducing hunger between meals.
- Devoid of Extras: Rest easy knowing this kibble is free from soy, gluten, artificial colors, and artificial flavors.
- Options Galore: Choose from plenty of protein options such as Beef & Brown Rice, Lamb & Brown Rice, and Chicken & Brown Rice. Also comes in grain-free formulas for those who prefer it.
- American-Made: Natural Balance crafts their meals in the USA using top-grade ingredients sourced globally.
- The limited-ingredient recipe caters to delicate Pomeranian stomachs
- Variety of single-protein options to keep your pup’s meals fun without any surprise ingredients
- The cost is reasonable compared to other limited-ingredient foods.
- Limited ingredient diets can sometimes lack in flavor
- We wish it had probiotics
8. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Healthy Weight: Best Dog Food for Overweight Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Portly Poms who need to shed a few pounds!
About: Wellness Small Breed Healthy Weight is specially formulated to help petite dogs maintain or regain their trim physique, all without compromising on flavor. Loaded with real deboned turkey, salmon meal, and chicken meal, this protein-rich kibble will have your Pomeranian scampering over for seconds. Plus, it’s stacked with a variety of slow-burning, complex carbs that will keep your little fluff-ball satiated, even with the reduced caloric content.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, & Rice
- Top-Notch Protein: Real meat (in this case, turkey) is featured as the main ingredient in this calorie-restricted recipe.
- Quality Carbs: This grain-inclusive mixture introduces an array of carbohydrates, such as brown rice, oatmeal, and barley.
- Digestive Aid: With added probiotics, this dog food enhances digestive function and helps keep tummy upsets at bay.
- Packed with Omega-3s: Brimming with omega-3 fatty acids, this meal combats inflammation and boosts skin and coat health for your Pomeranian.
- Immunity Warriors: “Superfoods” such as sweet potatoes and blueberries are included in this mix to help bolster your pup’s immune health.
Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Rice...,
- Even with lower calorie content, this food is a protein powerhouse
- we love the inclusion of probiotics
- This recipe stands out as one of the few weight-management foods that dogs really seem to enjoy eating
- Mixed-protein recipes might cause problems for dogs with food allergies
- Some pet parents noted that the kibble was overly crunchy
9. A Pup Above: Best-Tasting Dog Food for Picky Pomeranians
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pomeranians with picky palates who demand gourmet meals!
About: A Pup Above is a trailblazing brand that puts transparency at the forefront, adopting a from-kitchen-to-pet-bowl approach. This American-made dog food uses US-sourced ingredients that can be tracked back using a special lot-tracing number on every package. The fresh food bags showcase a hearty meat-centric combo of protein, authentic veggies, and an option of carbohydrate sources (you can choose from both grain-inclusive and grain-free varieties). Elevating their uniqueness, this brand employs the sous-vide cooking method to slow-cook its top-tier ingredients and coax out maximum dog-delighting flavors.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Bone Broth, & Rice
- Vet-Approved: A Pup Above prides itself on recipes designed by veterinarians, ensuring a perfectly balanced diet for your Pomeranian.
- Pure and Wholesome: A Pup Above’s use of human-grade ingredients, including USDA-certified meat, sets them a nose-length ahead in quality.
- Beneficial Bone Broth: Their collagen-filled bone broth adds taste and hydration, while offering potential perks for your dog’s bones and digestion.
- Protein Pleasure: This brand offers a smorgasbord of protein options — chicken, beef, pork, and turkey, with a variety pack to let your pooch taste them all.
- Green Initiatives: Committed to planet-positive practices, A Pup Above donates 1% of its revenue to regenerative agriculture, opts for fully recyclable packaging, and uses “ugly” produce to minimize waste.
Chicken, chicken liver, sweet potatoes, chicken bone broth, rice...,
apples, spinach, kale, turmeric, thyme, parsley, minerals [dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide. zine amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, potassium iodide,sodium selenite], vitamins [vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement]
- Most dogs love the sous-vide-style cooking techniques used to make these foods
- Comes with ingredient tracking on each bag for clarity and peace of mind
- You have the freedom to purchase without being tied to a subscription
- Tantalizing, nutrient-dense organ meats are included in the mix for your Pomeranian’s delight
- The packaging isn’t the most user-friendly
- It might lack the level of customization some other freshly-made dog foods can offer
Picking the Best Pomeranian Dog Food: Primary Considerations
Even though many modern dog foods will satiate your pooch and furnish her with comprehensive nutrition, it’s crucial to be mindful of the following key factors when selecting the ideal feast for your furry four-legger:
- Select a dog food specifically crafted to meet the nutritional guidelines set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) for your pet’s life stage. These guidelines have been thoughtfully designed to ensure the chow contains all the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals essential to your dog’s demographic. This serves to maintain your dog’s health and wellness throughout the various life stages.
- Before settling on a specific dog food, seek advice from your vet. Your veterinarian can offer expert recommendations tailored to your pup’s breed-specific nutritional needs, health history, and any dietary restrictions. Your vet can guide you through the labyrinth of dog food labels, steering you to the most beneficial choice.
- If your dog has unique health conditions, be sure you select a food tailored to address these needs. Dog food companies often concoct special recipes targeted at a range of health concerns, from joint troubles to sensitive tummies. Sourcing a food engineered for your dog’s condition can greatly alleviate symptoms and contribute towards your pet’s overall health.
Secondary Factors to Consider When Choosing Dog Food
While the elements mentioned above are pivotal – forming the “non-negotiables” when shopping for reliable dog food – there are other supplemental aspects that, although secondary, can elevate a good dog food to a fantastic one.
- Does the brand employ a qualified canine nutritionist? Such professionals understand the unique dietary needs of dogs and can create balanced, nutritious meals.
- How often are safety checks performed by the brand? Regular safety evaluations are essential for guaranteeing quality and sanitations standards.
- Is the protein in the food cooked or pasteurized to kill pathogens? Heat treatment of proteins is crucial to exterminate any potential pathogens.
- Is the food manufactured in a Western country? Such countries usually adhere to stringent pet food production regulations and quality control standards.
- Is only protein sourced from Western countries used in the food? Ingredient provenance can heavily impact the quality of the dog food.
- Does the brand own the facilities where the food is prepared? If so, they’re likely to exert better control over their product’s quality and safety.
Take a look at our guide to selecting the ideal dog food to delve deeper into the issue. It will furnish you with further insights and tips on ensuring your Pomeranian is getting the best nutrition possible.
Other Chow Considerations for Dogs
Picking the perfect diet for your Pomeranian goes beyond the food bowl. Here are some more things to ponder when choosing a dog food:
- Transitioning foods gradually. Always remember, swapping food isn’t an overnight process. Start by adding a bit of the new food to the old and gradually increase the proportion over a week or two to avoid upsetting your Pom’s tummy.
- Monitor your dog’s daily water intake. A well-hydrated Pom is a happy Pom! Adding wet food or broths to a dry kibble diet can help. And always make sure your pooch has access to fresh water.
- Experiment if needed to find a food your Pom finds palatable. Your pooch deserves to have a food she loves! Your Pom might need a little taste testing to find a food they really relish, but your efforts will pay off in the long run.
Here’s hoping this guide makes mealtime a bit less ruff for both you and your precious Pom! Now, over to you – what kibble makes your Pomeranian pirouette? Share your experiences in the comments below.