Are you a fan of flavorful, salty and scrumptious jerky? Chances are your pup will be too!
Share your love of jerky with your best furry friend — it’s a perfect treat for the quintessential “good boy”.
Jerky is a great alternative to traditional dog treats, and many provide added health benefits as well. In this article, we’ll cover five of our favorite jerky treats and help you pick the best one for your dog.
Find the perfect jerky for your best friend, and learn some tips for jerky feeding too!
In a hurry? Check out our quick picks below!
Best Jerky for Dogs: Quick Picks!
- Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog Treats — These treats are made in the USA, available in several different flavors, and they feature a soft texture that most dogs will enjoy. What’s not to love?
- “I and love and you” Nice Jerky Bites — These grain-free, US-made treats are made without artificial preservatives, and they come in several pup-pleasing flavors.
- Newman’s Own Beef Jerky Treats — Most dogs love these treats, but owners love the fact that 100% of the profits are donated to charity. This gives you the chance to help other humans while spoiling your pooch!
Do Dogs Like Jerky?
Certainly! In fact, they may even like it more than you do!
Dogs are natural meat-eaters, as evidenced by their sharp and aptly named canine teeth. Meat is integral to the daily doggo diet, and should typically be the primary ingredient in their foods, snacks, and treats.
Jerky is a great way to spice things up in your pup’s diet — it serves as a solid snack, and even a tool for training. These meaty morsels can be broken up easily into smaller pieces and make your dog eager to please!
Best Jerky Treats for Dogs
When shopping for a jerky for your dog, you’ll want to pay close attention to ingredients — find one that agrees with your dog’s taste buds but also has a little something to benefit your dog’s health.
Here are our five picks for the best jerky treats on the market:
1. Petcurean Spike Treats For Dogs
About: Are you a fan of superfoods? Then Petcurean Spike Treats are the perfect choice for your pooch! North American-made with quality ingredients, this is a delicious and healthy option for your jerky-loving pup.
- Contains 1- 4Oz Pack
- Catfish Is Great Protein Source
- Great Source Of Vitamins, Minerals, And Antioxidants
- High quality
Features: Petcurean Spike Treats for Dogs come in a variety of flavors, including catfish, duck, and turkey.
In each of the flavors, the meat is a primary ingredient and an excellent source of protein for your pup.
Petcurean fills their jerkies with all-natural ingredients and no additives for color or flavor. In fact, if you’re a health nut, these ingredients might sound familiar to your own diet — chia seeds, kale, and pomegranate, to name a few.
Each flavor is also grain- and gluten-free, for additional health benefits.
Most dogs simply love them — every flavor was well received by pups everywhere! Reviews of the taste are pretty much unanimous — Petcurean hits a home run with the pooches! Additionally, satisfied humans praise the healthy and high-quality ingredients.
Some customers mention that the price is a bit high for the amount of the product they received. A couple of customers noted inconsistencies in the treats — some bags are soft and chewy while others were far too tough, and sometimes the pieces come fractured a bit too much.
2. Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog Treats
About: Made in the USA and sold in a variety of flavors, Rocco and Roxie’s Jerky Sticks will make your dog think he’s getting the same jerky that you love — he’ll never guess it’s not a human snack!
- HEALTHY & NATURAL - You want only the best for your best friend. So the premium treats we make at...
- SECRET FAMILY RECIPE DOGS LOVE - What’s the secret to these tasty treats? We start with...
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We have been told that even the most finicky dogs love our Jerky...
- PERFECT TRAINING TREAT - Your dog accomplishes a task; he gets a treat. He gets a treat he really...
Features: These Jerky Sticks come in beef, chicken, or turkey flavors. They are made from all-natural ingredients utilizing a self-proclaimed “secret family recipe”, which involves slow-smoking.
Unlike human jerky, these sticks boast a soft texture that dogs love.
Besides the rave reviews on the flavor, customers note that it is a great aide in training, as the sticks can easily be broken into smaller pieces. Additionally, pet owners are big fans of Rocco & Roxie’s lighting fast customer service — any issues or complaints with orders are quickly resolved.
A couple of dogs have had tummy aches after eating these treats — it seems that these just don’t always sit well with every dog’s digestive system. The good news is that Rocco & Roxie has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if the treats don’t sit well with your pup, you’ll receive a full refund.
3. Dogswell Meat Jerky Treats
About: Packed with vitamins and minerals to promote good health, Dogswell Jerky is made in the USA with special benefits for senior pets — as well as tantalizing flavors to entice the younger pups!
- REAL CHICKEN JERKY DOG TREATS – Treat your dog to real chicken flavor in these crave worthy treats...
- FLAVOR DOGS WANT – These dog jerky treats boast high protein and no added sugar for bold, meaty...
- DOG IMMUNE SUPPORT – With immunity and defense support, you can be sure your pup is getting the...
- IMMUNE SYSTEM AID – Count on fatty acids from flaxseed oil and vitamins A and E to support immune...
Features: Dogswell makes treats with a variety of vitamins to support several key aspects of canine health — these include specially made treats for hip and joint health as well as immunity and defense.
Different flavors, including chicken, turkey, and beef, are available to please any pup’s palate. Treats are sold in packages from 4-ounce up to 24-ounce.
Made with high-quality ingredients and without fillers, Dogswell treats are a delicious option for jerky-loving pups.
Customers love the health benefits of these treats — it’s a great way to deliver the much needed nutrients for your doggo to promote things like joint health and a robust immune system. Many customers reported a visible and positive difference in the health of their dogs!
While the product is generally well received, some customers noted inconsistency in the quality of the product (this seems to happen now and then with Amazon). Additionally, some customers were unhappy with recent pricing increases.
4. Newman’s Own Beef Jerky Treats
About: The smiling face on the label of your favorite pasta sauce is now on the packaging of your pup’s beloved jerky! Newman’s Own Beef Jerky Treats are flavorful goodies that many dogs will love!
- Soft chewable 4” sticks
- Break off small pieces for rewards or training!
- U.S. Farm raised chicken is the #1 ingredient
- No corn, wheat or soy
Features: Newman’s Own makes jerky in two different flavors: Original Beef and Beef & Sweet Potato.
Made with grass-fed beef without artificial additives, this protein-packed snack is a tasty option for your jerky-loving pup.
Like all Newman’s Own products, 100% of the profits go to charity.
These treats have a taste pups go crazy for! Many dogs loved the soft texture and smoky flavor of these treats, and some reviewers even enjoyed the taste and smell themselves. We’d never suggest that you eat your pooch’s treats, but we’ll leave that up to your best judgment!
The price is on the high side, considering the quantity of treats sold. Additionally, unlike other jerky treats on the list, this one isn’t geared specifically towards improving pet health — with this one, it’s all about the taste (which is: yum).
5. “I and love and you” Nice Jerky Bites
About: “I and love and you” Nice Jerky Bites are made by a Boulder, CO based company, and they boast a variety of tasty flavors and a host of health benefits for your pup.
- ALWAYS GRAIN FREE: No, no, no grains, you’re not invited to this dinner party.We’re serving up...
- HOLISTIC DOG TREATS: Our Nice Jerky! Bites are soft and can be torn into smaller pieces making them...
- NO FILLERS, ALL LOVE: No by-product meals, wheat, corn, soy, rice, artificial preservatives,...
- REAL MEAT IS THE FIRST INGREDIENT:Meaty flavors that play by all the drools. Available in Beef +...
Features: Nice Jerky Bites have a wide variety of flavors, and no doubt at least one is certain to suit your pooch! You can order beef & lamb, chicken & duck, salmon & chicken, venison & lamb, or a variety pack.
Treats are sold in a wide range of sizes, beginning at 4-ounce bags and up to 1-pound bags.
These treats are great for dogs with allergies or other health issues — the ingredients are selected with canine health and wellness in mind, and they’re the perfect match for doggos with dietary restrictions.
Truthfully, owners reported that some dogs just aren’t a fan of the taste, despite the healthy benefits of these jerky treats — even we humans have a tough time with the taste of health food, right? Fortunately, there are a variety of flavors to try that your pup may prefer!
Enjoying Jerky for Dogs Safely
While jerky is a surefire hit with most pups, there are a couple of tips you’ll want to follow to ensure that he’s enjoying them safely:
- Supervise. As with any new treat or dietary changes, you’ll want to supervise your pup while he’s enjoying it for the first few times. Make sure that the pieces aren’t too big to chew, and read the ingredients to make sure there’s nothing that your pup is allergic to before you feed it to him. If you notice any adverse effects, obviously you’ll want to stop the snacking and pick a new flavor or brand.
- Stick to American-made jerky, when possible. With ingredients sourced from the United States, you’re more likely to be feeding a fresh, healthy product. Additionally, it’s a good idea to check the listed ingredients and avoid products with fillers — meat should be listed as one of the first ingredients. Jerky made in Canada, Australia, New Zealand or western Europe should also be of fairly high quality and safe for your pup.
- Pick a suitable size. Make sure the treats you select are not too big for your dog to chew. In all likelihood, the jerky treats you select are meant to be broken up to ensure safety. Breaking them up into bite size pieces is also a great tool for training — these meaty treats are a healthy means of keeping your pup’s interest.
Can Dogs Have Human Jerky?
It’s going to be a “no” from us — stay on the safe side and stick to jerky made specifically for dogs.
While the meat flavors are generally the same, it’s the added flavors and preservatives that can cause problems –– sometimes, serious problems.
For starters, human jerky tends to be super salty, which isn’t great for people, but it is especially bad for pups — the resulting dehydration can cause a host of issues, and salt poisoning can even be deadly.
Additionally, some of the common spices that we humans love can be bad for our furry friends. Garlic and onions, for example, can have dangerous side effects for doggos.
While minuscule amounts are generally acceptable — and are even found in some jerky treats — the amounts your pup would consume in human foods are just too risky.
Clearly, jerky is a snack of choice for our canines for quite a few reasons — it’s a tasty and healthy option for our furry friends!
Do you offer your pooch jerky on a regular basis? What jerky brands does your pup love? Are there any he doesn’t seem fond of? Let us know in the comments below!