Is your dog a huge mess maker in the kitchen? Stick of stepping in wet puddles your dog’s drinking leaves behind? If so, you may be in need of spill-proof dog bowls and mats.
Today we’re covering the best dog water bowls for sloppy drinkers.
Quick Picks: Best Water Bowls For Sloppy Drinkers
- #1 Pick: Heyrex Torus Dog Water Bowl. This gravity-fed 64 oz capacity bowl with built-in filter prevents splashes and stops tipping. Super portable too!
- #2 Pick: Road Refresher. This 54 oz capacity water bowl’s unique design prevent spills and messes. Great for on-the-road or at home. Design also prevents beards and long ears from getting wet.
- #3 Pick: Neater Feeder Mess-Free Bowls This feeder set won’t stop your pup from being sloppy, but it at least contains the mess with a dual-layered design and raised front.
- Alternative: Loving Pets Bella Spill Proof Dog Mat. This mat won’t prevent splashes, but it will keep your floor clean and can easily be rinsed off and dried after dinner time!
Continue reading for more in-depth reviews
Not sure your dog needs a special bowl or slobber rehab? Your dog might benefit from a spill proof water bowl if they:
- Frequently dig at their water dish, creating a huge wet mess on the floor.
- Gulp the water down so fast that they drop mouthfuls of water directly onto the floor.
- Push the bowl with their nose while they eat, causing it to slide and spill as they drink.
Thinking about the reasons why your dog is doing what they are doing can help you engineer solutions that go beyond a new bowl – a combination of methods might be the best and most effective way to give your dog a healthier and less messy home life.
1. Heyrex Torus Dog Water Bowl
Heyrex Torus Dog Water Bowl
Holds up to 2 liters of water
Gravity-fed water bowl that doesn’t require batteries or electricity
About: The Heyrex Torus Dog Water Bowl is a sleek, gravity-fed water bowl, reducing water splash and messes from your sloppy drinker.
- Filtered Water. Built in filter keeps water fresh and cool for your pooch.
- Holds 2 Liters of Water. Holds up to 2 liters of water (aka half-gallon or 67 ounces).
- Reduces Splash and Mess. Maintains a low water level that reduces splash back.
- Gravity Fed Water. Requires no batteries or electricity – water is gravity fed.
- Stable and Solid. Solid build resists tipping.
- Super Portable. This dog water bowl is very convenient to take on the go!
Owners report that this bowl is practically immovable when it’s set down, as it collects the unused water around the bowl to evenly distribute some weight.
Several owners have raised concerns about the plastic used in the production of the Heyrex bowl, as it requires frequent specialty cleaning to prevent mold. Owners have also noted it’s size as being a potential issue – it’s a big one!
2. Road Refresher
Best for car travel
Features a no-spill, no-slobber design with a secure lid that prevents any additional water from spilling.
About: The Road Refresher is another great dog water bowl for sloppy drinkers, keeping dogs dry and preventing water from splashing all over the floor.
- Stop Spills. Designed to eliminate spills and pet slobber.
- Great for Long-Eared Dogs. Keeps long ears and fur out of the drinking water, preventing them from getting wet.
- Easy to Clean. This bowl can be taken apart for easy cleaning.
- Travel-Friendly. Perfect for travel and home use.
- Slip-Free. Comes with a velcro bottom base that can be attached to carpet to stop slipping.
- Holds 54 Ounces. This model holds 54 ounces, but they have other sizes as well.
The Slopper Stopper has gotten quite a reputation as a reliable and affordable no spill water bowl, and seems very effective in getting sloppy drinkers to slow down. It also ensures that dogs get a regular scheduled amount of water daily, which helps reinforce routines.
This bowl requires frequent refills and can be difficult to refill, as it must be turned upside down, and that can actually cause some spill in itself!
3. Neater Feeder Mess-Free Bowls
Neater Feeder Mess-Free Bowls
Provided raised edge to keep messes contained
This feeing station’s protective walls contain splashes and spills to keep floors dry
About: The Neater Feeder Mess-Free Bowls is a tool that doesn’t really prevent your pooch from being a messy drinker, but it at least limits the damage zone by providing a wall to stop any drips and spills from leaking onto your floor.
- Double trays. Two layers of trays allow for dripping water to stay off your floor.
- Easy cleaning. Removable pieces allow for quick and easy clean-up.
- Raised Dishes. Raised dishes can be helpful for dogs with arthritis or other joint issues.
- Six colors. Comes in six different colors and styles to match your kitchen or your dog’s eating area. It also comes in three different sizes to match your dog’s eating and drinking capacity.
Owners adore this feeder, reporting that it does a great job keeping water and food spills off of the floor and your dog’s feeding area only! Owners also like the look and design of the holder.
While owners report that the plastic frame of this unit is high-quality, at least one owner notes that the stainless steel bowls rusted after just a month of use – owners may have to be ready to purchase substitute bowl inserts.
4. Ray Allen Buddy Bowl
About: The Ray Allen Buddy Bowl is a water bowl for messy drinkers with a snap-on lid design that forces dogs to push their whole snout down into the funnel in order to lap up water. This prevents mess and slows dogs down from drinking too fast.
- Keeps Fur Dry. The snap-on lid design keeps fur dry, but since it’s removable, also makes for easy cleaning.
- Great for Travel. This dripless water bowl is great to travel with.
- No More Mess. This dog water bowl for sloppy drinkers reduces messy water trails and spills.
- Prevents Choking. Bowl design slows down enthusiastic drinkers to prevent choking
- Hold 64 Oz. This bowl can hold 64 oz of water.
Owners note that this bowl slowed down drinkers and put a stop to wet, messy floors!
If your dog is a chewer, the plastic design of this bowl may be too enticing to deny.
5. Loving Pets Bella Spill Proof Mat For Dogs
About: The Loving Pets Bella Spill Proof Dog Mat is a piece of plastic that sits under your dog’s bowls, taking the brunt of the mess when your dog get’s carried away eating or drinking.
- Multiple Colors and Sizes. Comes in several sizes and colors for your choosing.
- Safe. Non-toxic and BPA free.
- Prevents Splashes. This food and water mat has a raised lip, which prevents splashing and retains spills from overflowing.
- Slip-Proof. The skid feed prevent your dog from slipping and sliding the bowls around the kitchen.
This isn’t just a great bowl for sloppy drinkers, but sloppy eaters, too! Owners report that messy puppies are well-contained by this thick and easy to clean mat.
his bowl doesn’t solve the problem of messy drinking, but it’s a way to contain it. It’s good if you don’t have the money to invest in a specialized bowl for your sloppy drinker, but owners report it is less effective than the bowls listed below.
So, Why Does My Dog Dig At The Dish?
If your dog is digging at the water dish, this can be reflective of your dog’s needs – they might be bored, overheated, or looking for cool running water.
Sometimes, stirring the bowl helps it to taste cooler; other times, your dog is just playing with his or her reflection. This is important to consider because if he’s looking for cool water, he may be overheating without you realizing it. If the digging is a symptom of your dog’s boredom, he may find another destructive outlet.
Just purchasing a spill proof bowl may not be enough of a solution if your pup has external needs that need to be taken care of.
If you suspect your pup is overheating, grab a puppy friendly pool and keep it halfway full in your yard, giving your dog the option to cool himself off when he needs to. Sometimes, keeping your dog cool can stop the sloppy drinking and digging at the bowl altogether.
If your dog is running hot, other strategies to cool him down include:
- Grabbing a cooling dog bed. Some dog beds are designed with cooling gels that activate when your dog lies down in the material – they’re great for hot pooches! Elevated mesh beds can also cool your dog off, especially if he hangs around outside a lot. Raised mesh beds provide better air circulation to keep temps low for your pup.
- Try a cooling dog vest. Cooling dog vests feature a similar design to cooling beds, but you strap the cooling gel material to your dog, rather than having a cooling mat your pup needs to lie on.
Another option is to consider a running pet fountain – it keeps the water cool and fresh, which is way more appetizing to anyone – dogs not excluded!
If your pet spends a lot of time indoors or alone without active stimulation, the digging could be a way of entertaining himself. If your dog seems to be bored, more mental and physical stimulation can be introduced in the form of extra walks, more play time, or treat-dispensing dog toys to keep your pup entertained.
Why Does My Dog Gulp The Water Quickly & Push The Bowl Around?
If your dog is gulping the water and pushing the bowl around, he’s just plain excited! He may also simply be trying to escape the heat, as mentioned above.
Some dogs have different drinking styles that make them much messier than others. In this video, one owner records different dogs drinking in slow motion to determine why her own dog is messy… with a fun unexpected (or maybe very expected, for the owner) ending!
Regardless of why your pup makes a mess, a spill proof bowl can provide a helpful solution by itself or in conjunction with other techniques. In addition to stopping sloppy drinkers, these bowls will slow down dogs who gulp down water. Gulping water quickly can cause dogs to hiccup (that’s right, dogs can hiccup too) or even vomit up water!
We’re going to take a look at some of the best selling dog water bowls for sloppy drinkers on the market, and see how they deal with messy drinking dogs with genius engineering and design.
Best Dog Water Bowl For Sloppy Drinkers: Final Recap
These dog bowls (and mat) all do a great job at stopping your sloppy drinking dog from making huge mess, but which one is right for your dog?
If your dog is just a bit messy around his bowl, the Loving Pets Spill-Proof Mat might be all that you need.
While the Road Refresher performs well, some owners find themselves needing to refill water often (with both those designers requiring tipping the bowl over). If you’re home and can refill the bowl easily, no problem! These bowls are also very easy to take apart and clean, plus they’re quite travel-friendly.
The Heyrex Water Bowl holds the most water, with a whopping 67 ounces, so if you know your dog drinks a ton of water, this one may be the choice for you! However, this bowl does need to be cleaned manually, and is fairly large, which might make it more difficult to take on the road.
Tell us about your messy drinker – how do you contain your dog’s mess? Share your thoughts in the comments!
Also, owners with slobbery drinkers might also find themselves with pooches who gobble down their food too. Food gobbling can be quite dangerous and can potentially lead to deadly bloat. However, there are certain bowls that can help – see our list of the best slow feeder dog bowls if you’ve got a kibble gulper on your hands!