Best Vacuums for Dog Hair: Quick Picks
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean [Most Powerful] This high-end pet-specific vacuum is uniquely designed for sucking up fur. Scientifically-proven to suck up even tiny particles like allergens and bacteria.
- Bissell CleanView [Most Affordable] This ultra-affordable upright vacuum boasts plenty of power for short-haired pets and pet hair attachments while weighing less than 18lbs!
- Shark Rotator Professional [Best 2-in-1]. A dual-use vacuum that functions as an upright as well as a powerful canister vacuum. Features anti-allergen technology and HEPA filter.
- eufy Boost IQ RoboVac [Best Robotic Vacuum]. This slim-designed robotic vacuum allows you to remove pet hair, dust and other dirt without lifting a finger.
- Black + Decker Powerseries Extreme [Best Cordless Stick Vacuum] This lightweight cordless stick vacuum is a cinch to use while still offering plenty of suction power and solid battery life.
Cleaning up after your four-legged friend is part of the gig for dog owners.
You must dry spilled water from the kitchen floor, scoop up the crumbs surrounding her food dish and collect the toys she scatters around the house.
And yet we do this without complaining too much, because it is a small price to pay for the unconditional love our pups provide.
But there is one cleaning chore that even the most dedicated dog owner among us despise: Vacuuming up the pet hair your dog leaves in her wake. If her hair isn’t tumbleweeding across your living room, it’s sticking to your couch like it was glued in place.
It’s a problem as frustrating as it is familiar, and you’ve probably spent more than one weekend trying to bushwhack your way through a mountain of dog hair only to give up when your vacuum isn’t up to the task.
That’s a problem, and we’re here to help you solve it.
Check out the table below for some quick recommendations. Or, you can read on to learn about the kinds of things you’ll want to look for in a vacuum for pet hair and to read our in-depth analysis of the very best vacuums for pet hair that will make those piles of floor fur vanish.
Features to Look for in a Vacuum for Pet Hair
Most economy vacuums are rarely capable of dealing with large quantities of pet hair – instead, owners of furry, four-legged friends need high-quality vacuums that can help deal with your puppy hair problem. Some vacuum models are designed specifically to pick up canine hair!
There’s nothing fundamentally different about a vacuum that works well for picking up dog hair – it really comes down to the quality of the vacuum cleaner and the features it offers.
In fact, most vacuum cleaners that excel at dealing with the archeological layer of dog hair covering your kitchen floor will also be pretty good at handling your day-to-day cleaning needs.
Some of the features that you want in a dog-hair destroying vacuum cleaner include:
- Horsepower. Simply put, vacuum cleaners that provide superior suction power will work better for removing dog hair out of the fibers of your carpet and the nooks and crannies in your couch. In fact, after using a high-powered vacuum for pet hair for the very first time, many dog owners are shocked at how much hair and fur their old vacuum cleaner was leaving behind.
- Allergen Filtration. Shed pet hair isn’t the only thing your dog is leaving around your home – he’s also leaving tiny flakes of dead skin and pet dander everywhere (you are too, but your own skin cells probably won’t tickle your nose). It is actually these particles, and not your dog’s hair, that are typically responsible for allergies. Because these particles are very small, you need a quality allergen filter to ensure the vacuum cleaner doesn’t shoot them back out into the room.
- A Variety of Attachments. While you can remove most of the pet hair in your home with the base vacuum unit, you’ll need plenty of attachments to tend to those hard-to-clean places, like stairs. Brush-tipped attachments are typically the most helpful for removing pet hair from carpet or upholstery, but narrow crevice tool attachments will help you get into the tightest cracks and corners. Also consider if you plan on using your vacuum in conjunction with a device like the Flowbee to suck up your dog’s fur during grooming sessions!
It’s true that finding a vacuum that meets all of these qualifications can get pricey, but it’ll be well worth it when you won’t have to spend hours picking dog hair off of your clothes when doing laundry!
12 Best Vacuums For Dog Hair: Packed With Power
Below, we’ve compiled different vacuum cleaners that are specifically made for pet owners.
They are all high-powered vacuums that feature some type of allergen filtration and a variety of different attachments. All have received rave reviews, even if a few of them have minor problems.
Consider your home and your needs (including the relative amount of pet hair your dog sheds – some dogs are worse shedders than others are) and select the model that best suits your life!
1. Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum
About: The Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum is a light-weight, high-powered upright vacuum for pet hair that is available at an affordable price point that any owner can afford.
Yet despite this consumer-friendly price tag, the Bissell CleanView upright vacuum is packed with powerful features, like a triple-action brush roll for capturing even deeply-embedded fur, a washable filter, a detachable stick wand, and edge-to-edge cleaning so you don’t miss a hair.
- Swivel steering makes it easy to navigate around furniture and capture fur from any surface you’ll encounter
- Bagless collection system for convenient disposal
- Includes unique attachments specifically designed for dealing with pet hair
- Features edge-to-edge cleaning so that even pet hair stuck in the corners can get sucked up.
Great pick for short-haired dogs, with owners making great use of the pet-specific attachments.
This vacuum’s low price point means it has to sacrifice some nice extra features, like a cord rewind.
2. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean
About: The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a high-end upright vacuum cleaner from the Dyson line, uniquely engineered for homes with pets.
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 boasts the highest suction power of any other vacuum for pet hair, and has been scientifically-proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria (a big plus for owners with allergies).
It features a host of extra attachments and add-ons for sucking up pet hair between crevices and corners. The self-adjusted head seals suction on any surface, allowing the vacuum cleaner to suck up fur and get deep into even high pile carpet fibers.
- Self-adjusting cleaner head ensures good suction
- 35-foot-long cord that allows you to cover large areas quickly
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly
- Extra attachments like the crevice tool for getting into nooks and crannies
- Backed by the manufacturer’s 5-year warranty
Designed with pets in mind, this upright vacuum cleaner is especially effective at removing pet hair. It offers unparalleled suction, and the included attachments also elicited plenty of praise.
A few owners complained that the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is surprisingly heavy, which makes it challenging to move around. But powerful vacuums generally tend to be heavier than average.
3. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo
About: The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo is a slightly more expensive alternative to the Bissell CleanView, with some extra features that owners may consider well worth the price bump.
This upright vacuum for pet hair features a tangle-free brush roll as well as a hands-free emptying system so that your hands no longer have to get covered in dirt and fur.
Like the Bissell CleanView, this vacuum cleaner featured edge-to-edge cleaning, but this vacuum cleaner also boasts an LED Crevice Tool so you can see into the dark corners you’re sucking, a Pet Turbo Eraser Tool, as well as a 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush.
Best of all, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo includes a Smart Seal Allergen System, designed to trap dust and allergens to keep your dog’s dander from affecting your allergies. It even has the option to add Febreeze filters to help combat pet odor.
- Swivel steering with LED headlights lets you navigate around furniture while illuminating the floor.
- Bagless collection system that also includes a hands-free emptying system to keep your hands clean.
- Includes unique attachments designed for dealing with pet hair, like the Pet Turbo Eraser and the 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush.
- Features edge-to-edge cleaning as well as a tangle-free brush roll.
- Offers a Smart Seal Allergen System to combat dust and allergens, along with the option for Febreeze filters.
Owners love that the brush roll can be turned on or off, and many confirm that it can suck up longer pet hair without getting tangled.
With all these extra features, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo is a bit heavier, but not so much that many owners found it a huge issue.
4. Shark Rotator Professional
About: The Shark Rotator Professional is a combination upright/canister vacuum unit that makes it easy to vacuum large areas as well as small, hard-to-reach places that are likely to get matted with pet hair.
This vacuum cleaner comes with a dedicated pet multi-tool and a variety of other attachments to suit different types of surfaces.
- Anti-allergen technology and HEPA filter trap 99.9% of dust and allergens
- Canister lifts away with the single push of a button
- Features separate hard floor and carpet modes
- Fingertip controls make it easy to make adjustments on the fly
Appears to be very effective at cleaning pet hair, as well as typical household dirt. The removable canister section was very popular among those who tried the vacuum, and it made vacuuming stairs and hard-to-reach areas easy.
A few pet owners reported that this wasn’t the easiest vacuum to push across high pile carpet, but most didn’t seem to find this an issue.
5. Shark Rocket DuoClean
About: The Shark Rocket DuoClean is a light-weight wand-style vacuum that is convenient to use and still packs enough power to make pet-hair removal easy.
Best suited for homes of modest size, this is a great option for owners who need a high-quality vacuum, but don’t want to break the bank.
The built-in hand held option allows this vacuum cleaner to do double-duty as a quick pick-up tool in addition to full home clean-ups.
- Use completely assembled to vacuum large areas or detach and use the hand-vac for hard-to-reach places
- Comes with a pet multi-tool to make pet hair removal a snap
- LED lights on the floor nozzle and hand vac to make it easy to see dark nooks and crannies
- Comes with wall-mount hook to make storage easy
The Shark Rocket seems to work well for most pet owners living in relatively small homes. Several reported that it was very effective at removing pet hair, and most owners who tried it praised its light weight (the unit weighs only 4.6 pounds).
A few owners found that the machine became clogged relatively easily, but this may be a result of using it for larger areas than it is intended for.
6. Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum With Pet Attachments
About: The Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments is a great choice for pet owners who prefer canister-style vacuums rather than uprights. Like most small vacuums, this 9-pound-vacuum cleaner is best-suited for apartment dwellers, and its superior allergen filtration makes it an especially good choice for dog owners.
- The vacuum’s telescoping wand makes it easy to reach under or behind furniture to reach hiding pet hair clumps
- The Eureka Mighty Mite comes with a 1-year, limited warranty
- Uses odor-fighting dust bags to help keep your home smelling fresh
- Features a HEPA filter that will capture more than 99 percent of pet dander
The HEPA filter and odor-fighting dust bags make the Mighty Mite a great choice for dog owners. Most users report that the combination of the unit’s dog-hair-removal attachments and high-powered suction work well for removing dog hair.
Like most other canister vacuums, the Mighty Mite is best suited for smaller homes, without large quantities of carpet.
7. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
About: The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum is a great choice for those with only minor hair-removal needs.
While it is obviously not suitable for vacuuming entire rooms, the Bissell dog vacuum for pet hair is a wonderful handheld vacuum tool for vacuuming the pet hair off furniture, drapes, blankets, rugs and other small areas.
- Cordless design makes this handheld vacuum great not just for indoors but for car cleaning too telescoping extension and crevice tool
- The Bissell Pet Hair Vacuum comes with a limited, 1-year warranty
- Bagless design with easy-to-empty dirt bin makes emptying the unit quick and easy
The small, lightweight design makes this handheld vacuum ideal for small tasks; instead of dragging out your upright or canister vacuum, you can just grab this hand-held unit and start collecting the pet hair.
A few users had charging issues with defective handhelds, but Bissell has proven to make good on their warranty policy.
8. Shark Navigator Professional
About: The Shark Navigator Professional is a lift-away vacuum that provides excellent performance at a very reasonable price point. You can use it as a conventional upright vacuum cleaner, or remove the cannister and hose sections to reach out-of-the-way places.
- Comes with Shark’s anti-allergen complete seal technology that traps 99.9% of dust and allergens
- Lightweight and easy to use, this upright vacuum cleaner weighs only 13.7 pounds
- Pre-motor foam and HEPA filter included
- Brush roller can be shut off when vacuuming hardwood floors
Most people who tried the Shark Navigator Professional were happy with the way it performed, including several pet owners, who explained that it was very effective for cleaning dog hair. The removable cannister section also drew lots of praise, as it makes vacuuming under or behind furniture a snap.
A few owners noted that this vacuum cleaner tends to blow out hot air, which is not ideal. It also appears to be best-suited for light-use or small apartments, as heavy use may lead to broken components.
9. Black + Decker Powerseries Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner for Pets
About: The Black+Decker Cordless Stick Vacuum for Pets is an ideal choice for those looking for a cordless stick vacuum that’s lightweight but still powerful enough to suck up all that pet hair and dust floating around your home.
Designed specifically as a vacuum for pet hair, it’s sure to keep your pup’s fur off your flooring.
- V-shaped bristles designed to pick up all manner of debris
- Anti-tangle pet hair brush bar reduces time spent picking strands of hair out of your vacuum
- Can convert into a hand vacuum with an extra-long crevice tool for navigating those tough-to-suck spots
- Removable battery is easy to charge while still boasting a 55 minute battery life
- This cordless stick vacuum is an ultra lightweight vacuum, weighing only 10 lbs
- Bagless design makes clean up quick and easy
While lightweight and easy to maneuver, this cordless stick vacuum generates great suction for its size. Most users report that it vacuums dog hair, cat litter and most other debris without trouble.
Some note that the dustbin on this vacuum can easily be knocked off accidentally (although only a few folks complain of this – most users don’t seem to have an issue)
While you’re at it, we also recommend selecting a short-fibered rug that’s suitable for pet ownership. Long-haired rugs will simply make your job that much harder! For pet-filled household, definitely opt for short fiber.
10. eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
This slim-design robot vacuum cleaner removes pet hair and dirt without you lifting a finger.
About: The eufy Boost IQ RoboVac is an automated vacuum cleaner that will help collect pet hair (as well as dirt, dust and debris) without you having to lift a finger!
And unlike some other robotic vacuum cleaners, which lack the sucking power to deal with pet hair, the eufy RoboVac comes with BoostIQ, which automatically increases sucking power when necessary.
- Slim design (2.85” tall) helps this robot vacuum cleaner reach places others can’t
- Infra-red sensor to help the robot vacuum avoid obstacles
- Voted “Best Robot Vacuum of 2018″ by Digital Trends
- Backed by a 12-month warranty
Several dog and cat owners who tried this robot vacuum cleaner were pleased with the unit’s ability to pick up dog and cat hair with ease. Additionally, because the robot vacuum cleans on a regular, recurring basis, it helps prevent pet hair from building up in your carpet fibers. Plus – you don’t have to vacuum anymore!
While most owners reported that it handled pet hair well, a few people reported that the unit had difficulty navigating their home. However, this is a common issue among most robot vacuum cleaners. These vacuum cleaners work best with open layouts.
11. Miele Complete C3
About: The Miele Complete C3 is a cannister-style vacuum cleaner that is provides plenty of suction power and makes it easy to eliminate the dog hair coating your carpets and upholstery.
- Features the Miele SEB-228 Powerhead, which provides unparalleled power and suction
- The included Miele SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush makes it easy to reach under furniture
- Comes with Active Air Clean Filter to help reduce pet odors while cleaning the air
- Optional Performance Pack comes with 16 filter bags, 1 HEPA filter and 4 pre-motor filters
The Miele Complete C3 is clearly one of the best vacuums available for pet owners. Most people who tried it found that it worked exceptionally well and made quick work of cat and dog hair. A few owners also reported that their Miele Complete C3 has worked perfectly for years.
The biggest downside to the Meile Complete C3 is undoubtedly its high price point, but most owners found that it was worth the money they spent, given the way it handled dog hair.
12. Dyson DC41 Animal Vacuum
About: The Dyson DC41 Animal Vacuum is one of the best-rated vacuums for cleaning up dog hair. It performs incredibly, but like most other Dyson vacuums, the DC41 is a premium product with a premium price tag.
- The Dyson vacuum for pet hair uses a ball-pivot design, which provides maneuverability, even in very tight spaces
- If you purchase your Dyson from an authorized dealer, you’ll obtain a 5-year warranty on parts and labor
- Incredibly powerful cleaner head works well for removing stubborn patches of pet hair
- Touch-free bin emptying design
Dyson vacuum cleaners are famous for their unique design and powerful suction, which works very well for removing pet hair. Additionally, this vacuum collects microscopic particles (as small as 0.5 microns in size), which will help reduce the amount of pet dander floating around your home.
With an extremely high price tag, the Dyson DC41 Animal Upright is one of the most expensive vacuum cleaners on the market. This makes it an unrealistic option for budget-minded puppy parents.
Dog Vacuum Cleaner FAQs
Are pet vacuums worth the price?
Generally, yes. Pet owners need high powered vacuums and additional filters to suck up large volumes of pet hair and pet dander, and this kind of sucking power will always come with a higher price tag.
What special features to pet vacuums offer?
Pet vacuums often include allergen filters to suck up your dog’s dander as well as his pet hair, and also usually offer a variety of attachments that allow you to grab pet hair from hard-to-reach spots like between couch cushions and on top of stairs.
More Tips for Dealing with Pet Hair!
Now that you’ve picked out a great vacuum for dealing with your pet’s hair, be sure to check out this video to learn a few more tips for keeping your home free of fur!
Besides what’s mentioned here, consider opting for dog-friendly furniture that’s easy to clean and maintain, and make sure to groom your dog regularly to keep all that fur outside rather than inside.
Have you tried any of the models discussed above? We’d love to hear about your experiences. Or perhaps you know of an effective, yet under-the-radar vacuum for dog hair that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!