Best Vacuums for Dog Hair: Quick Picks
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean [Most Powerful] This high-end pet-specific vacuum is uniquely designed for sucking up fur. Scientifically-proven to suck up even tiny particles like allergens and bacteria.
- Bissell CleanView [Most Affordable] This ultra-affordable upright vacuum boasts plenty of power for short-haired pets and pet hair attachments while weighing less than 18lbs!
- Shark Rotator Professional [Best 2-in-1]. A dual-use vacuum that functions as an upright as well as a powerful canister vacuum. Features anti-allergen technology and HEPA filter.
- eufy Boost IQ RoboVac [Best Robotic Vacuum]. This slim-designed robotic vacuum allows you to remove pet hair, dust and other dirt without lifting a finger.
- Shark Rocket DuoClean [Best Stick Vacuum] Weighing in at less than 5 lbs, this ultra-lightweight stick vacuum is great for small and medium-sized homes.
Cleaning up after your four-legged friend is part of the gig for dog owners.
You must dry spilled water from the kitchen floor, scoop up the crumbs surrounding her food dish and collect the toys she scatters around the house.
And yet we do this without complaining too much, because it is a small price to pay for the unconditional love our pups provide.
But there is one cleaning chore that even the most dedicated dog owner among us despise: Vacuuming up the hair your dog leaves in her wake. If her hair isn’t tumbleweeding across your living room, it’s sticking to your couch like it was glued in place.
It’s a problem as frustrating as it is familiar, and you’ve probably spent more than one weekend trying to bushwhack your way through a mountain of dog hair only to give up when your vacuum isn’t up to the task.
That’s a problem, and we’re here to help you solve it.
Check out the table below for some quick recommendations. Or, you can read on to learn about the kinds of things you’ll want to look for in a vacuum and to read our in-depth analysis of the 11 best vacuums for pet hair.
Features to Look for in a Dog Hair Vacuum
Most economy vacuums are rarely capable of dealing with large quantities of hair – instead, owners of furry, four-legged friends need high-quality vacuums that can help deal with your puppy hair problem. Some vacuum models are designed specifically to pick up canine hair!
There’s nothing fundamentally different about a vacuum that works well for picking up dog hair – it really comes down to the quality of the unit and the features it offers.
In fact, most vacuums that excel at dealing with the archeological layer of dog hair covering your kitchen floor will also be pretty good at handling your day-to-day cleaning needs.
Some of the features that you want in a dog-hair destroying vacuum include:
- Horsepower. Simply put, vacuums that provide superior suction will work better for removing dog hair out of the fibers of your carpet and the nooks and crannies in your couch. In fact, after using a high-powered vacuum for the first time, many dog owners are shocked at how much hair their old vacuum was leaving behind.
- Allergen Filtration. Shed hair isn’t the only thing your dog is leaving around your home – he’s also leaving tiny flakes of dead skin everywhere (you are too, but your own skin cells probably won’t tickle your nose). It is actually these particles, and not your dog’s hair, that are typically responsible for allergies. Because these particles are very small, you need a quality allergen filter to ensure the vacuum doesn’t shoot them back out into the room.
- A Variety of Attachments. While you can remove most of the dog hair in your home with the base vacuum unit, you’ll need plenty of attachments to tend to those hard-to-clean places, like stairs. Brush-tipped attachments are typically the most helpful for removing hair from carpet or upholstery, but narrow attachments will help you get into the tightest cracks and crevices. Also consider if you plan on using your vacuum in conjunection with a device like the Flowbee to suck up your dog’s fur during grooming sessions!
It’s true that finding a vacuum that meets all of these qualifications can get pricey, but it’ll be well worth it when you won’t have to spend hours picking dog hair off of your clothes when doing laundry!
12 Best Vacuums For Dog Hair: Packed With Power
Below, we’ve compiled 5 different vacuum cleaners that are specifically made for pet owners.
They are all high-powered vacuums that feature some type of allergen filtration and a variety of different attachments. All five have received rave reviews, even if a few of them have minor problems.
Consider your home and your needs (including the relative amount of hair your dog sheds – some dogs are worse shedders than others are) and select the model that best suits your life!
1. Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum
About: The Bissell CleanView Dog Vacuum is a light-weight, high-powered vacuum cleaner that is available at an affordable price point that any owner can afford.
Yet despite this consumer-friendly price tag, the Bissell CleanView is packed with powerful features, like a triple-action brush roll for capturing even deeply-embedded fur, a washable filter, a detachable stick wand, and edge-to-edge cleaning so you don’t miss a hair.
- Swivel steering makes it easy to navigate around furniture and capture fur from any surface you’ll encounter
- Bagless collection system for convenient disposal
- Includes unique attachments specifically designed for dealing with pet hair
- Features edge-to-edge cleaning so that even hair stuck in the corners can get sucked up.
Great pick for short-haired dogs, with owners making great use of the pet-specific attachments.
This vacuum’s low price point means it has to sacrifice some nice extra features, like a cord rewind.
2. Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean
About: The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a high-end vacuum from the Dyson line, uniquely engineered for homes with pets.
The Animal 2 boasts the highest suction power of any other vacuum, and has been scientifically-proven to capture particles as small as allergens and bacteria (a big plus for owners with allergies).
It features a host of extra attachments and add-ons for sucking up hair between crevices and corners. The self-adjusted head seals suction on any surface, allowing the vacuum to suck up fur and first deep in carpet fibers.
- Self-adjusting cleaner head ensures good suction
- 35-foot-long cord that allows you to cover large areas quickly
- Certified asthma and allergy friendly
- Backed by the manufacturer’s 5-year warranty
Designed with pets in mind, this vacuum is especially effective at removing pet hair. It offers unparalleled suction, and the included attachments also elicited plenty of praise.
A few owners complained that the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is surprisingly heavy, which makes it challenging to move around. But powerful vacuums generally tend to be heavier than average.
3. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo
About: The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo is a slightly more expensive alternative to the Bissell CleanView, with some extra features that owners may consider well worth the price bump.
This vacuum features a tangle-free brush roll as well as a hands-free emptying system so that your hands no longer have to get covered in dirt and fur.
Like the Bissell CleanView, this vacuum featured edge-to-edge cleaning, but this vacuum also boasts an LED Crevice Tool so you can see into the dark corners you’re sucking, a Pet Turbo Eraser Tool, as well as a 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush.
Best of all, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo includes a Smart Seal Allergen System, designed to trap dust and allergens to keep your dog’s dander from affecting your allergies. It even has the option to add Febreeze filters to help combat pet odor.
- Swivel steering with LED headlights lets you navigate around furniture while illuminating the floor.
- Bagless collection system that also includes a hands-free emptying system to keep your hands clean.
- Includes unique attachments designed for dealing with pet hair, like the Pet Turbo Eraser and the 2-in-1 Pet Dusting Brush.
- Features edge-to-edge cleaning as well as a tangle-free brush roll.
- Offers a Smart Seal Allergen System to combat dust and allergens, along with the option for Febreeze filters.
Owners love that the brush roll can be turned on or off, and many confirm that it can suck up longer hair without getting tangled.
With all these extra features, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Turbo is a bit heavier, but not so much that many owners found it a huge issue.
4. Shark Rotator Professional
About: The Shark Rotator Professional is a combination upright/canister vacuum unit that makes it easy to vacuum large areas as well as small, hard-to-reach places.
This vacuum comes with a dedicated pet multi-tool and a variety of other attachments to suit different types of surfaces.
- Anti-allergen technology and HEPA filter trap 99.9% of dust and allergens
- Canister lifts away with the single push of a button
- Features separate hard floor and carpet modes
- Fingertip controls make it easy to make adjustments on the fly
Appears to be very effective at cleaning pet hair, as well as typical household dirt. The removable canister section was very popular among those who tried the vacuum, and it made vacuuming stairs and hard-to-reach areas easy.
A few pet owners reported that this wasn’t the easiest vacuum to push across carpet, but most didn’t seem to find this an issue.
5. Shark Rocket DuoClean
About: The Shark Rocket DuoClean is a light-weight wand-style vacuum that is convenient to use and still packs enough power to make pet-hair removal easy.
Best suited for homes of modest size, this is a great option for owners who need a high-quality vacuum, but don’t want to break the bank.
The built-in hand held option allows this vacuum to do double-duty as a quick pick-up tool in addition to full home clean-ups.
- Use completely assembled to vacuum large areas or detach and use the hand-vac for hard-to-reach places
- Comes with a pet multi-tool to make hair removal a snap
- LED lights on the floor nozzle and hand vac to make it easy to see dark nooks and crannies
- Comes with wall-mount hook to make storage easy
The Shark Rocket seems to work well for most pet owners living in relatively small homes. Several reported that it was very effective at removing pet hair, and most owners who tried it praised its light weight (the unit weighs only 4.6 pounds).
A few owners found that the machine became clogged relatively easily, but this may be a result of using it for larger areas than it is intended for.
6. Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum With Pet Attachments
About: The Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments is a great choice for pet owners who prefer canister-style vacuums rather than uprights. Like most small vacuums, this 9-pound-vacuum is best-suited for apartment dwellers, and its superior allergen filtration makes it an especially good choice for dog owners.
- The vacuum’s telescoping wand makes it easy to reach under or behind furniture
- The Eureka Mighty Mite comes with a 1-year, limited warranty
- Uses odor-fighting dust bags to help keep your home smelling fresh
- Features a HEPA filter that will capture more than 99 percent of pet dander
The HEPA filter and odor-fighting dust bags make the Mighty Mite a great choice for dog owners. Most users report that the combination of the unit’s dog-hair-removal attachments and high-powered suction work well for removing dog hair.
Like most other canister vacuums, the Mighty Mite is best suited for smaller homes, without large quantities of carpet.
7. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
About: The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum is a great choice for those with only minor hair-removal needs.
While it is obviously not suitable for vacuuming entire rooms, the Bissell dog vacuum is a wonderful tool for vacuuming the hair off furniture, drapes, blankets, rugs and other small areas.
- Cordless design makes this unit great not just for indoors but for car cleaning too telescoping extension and crevice tool
- The Bissell Pet Hair Vacuum comes with a limited, 1-year warranty
- Bagless design with easy-to-empty dirt bin makes emptying the unit quick and easy
The small, lightweight design makes this unit ideal for small tasks; instead of dragging out your upright or canister vacuum, you can just grab this hand-held unit and start collecting the hair.
A few users had charging issues with defective handhelds, but Bissell has proven to make good on their warranty policy.
8. Shark Navigator Professional
About: The Shark Navigator Professional is a lift-away vacuum that provides excellent performance at a very reasonable price point. You can use it as a conventional upright vacuum, or remove the cannister and hose sections to reach out-of-the-way places.
- Comes with Shark’s anti-allergen complete seal technology that traps 99.9% of dust and allergens
- Lightweight and easy to use, this vacuum weighs only 13.7 pounds
- Pre-motor foam and HEPA filter included
- Brush roller can be shut off when vacuuming hardwood floors
Most people who tried the Shark Navigator Professional were happy with the way it performed, including several pet owners, who explained that it was very effective for cleaning dog hair. The removable cannister section also drew lots of praise, as it makes vacuuming under or behind furniture a snap.
A few owners noted that this vacuum tends to blow out hot air, which is not ideal. It also appears to be best-suited for light-use or small apartments, as heavy use may lead to broken components.
9. Bissell PowerEdge Corded Pet Vacuum
About: The Bissell PowerEdge Corded Pet Vacuum is an ideal choice for those living in carpet-free homes.
While it isn’t designed to clean your carpet, the PowerEdge Pet is the perfect tool for picking up the hair on your hardwood, tile or linoleum floor.
- V-shaped design helps funnel debris toward the center of the unit, where the suction is strongest
- The Bissell PowerEdge dog vacuum is a lightweight vacuum, weighing only 7.1 lbs
- The swiveling design makes it easy to vacuum around furniture and other obstacles
- Bagless design makes clean up quick and easy
While very lightweight and easy to maneuver, the PowerEdge Pet generates great suction for its size. Most users report that it vacuums dog hair, cat litter and most other debris without trouble.
The PowerEdge Pet is only effective on hard floors. Additionally, some users have reported that the wheels may collect hair and become tangled easily. If the wheels stop spinning freely, they may damage the floors in your home.
While you’re at it, we also recommend selecting a short-fibered rug that’s suitable for pet ownership. Long-haired rugs will simply make your job that much harder! For pet-filled household, definitely opt for short fiber.
10. eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
About: The eufy Boost IQ RoboVac is an automated vacuum that will help collect pet hair (as well as dirt, dust and debris) without you having to lift a finger!
And unlike some other robotic vacuums, which lack the sucking power to deal with pet hair, the eufy RoboVac comes with BoostIQ, which automatically increases sucking power when necessary.
- Slim design (2.85” tall) helps this robotic vacuum reach places others can’t
- Infra-red sensor to help the unit avoid obstacles
- Voted “Best Robot Vacuum of 2018″ by Digital Trends
- Backed by a 12-month warranty
Several dog and cat owners who tried the eufy RoboVac were pleased with the unit’s ability to pick up dog and cat hair with ease. Additionally, because the unit cleans on a regular, recurring basis, it helps prevent hair from building up in your carpet fibers. Plus – you don’t have to vacuum anymore!
While most owners reported that it handled pet hair well, a few people reported that the unit had difficulty navigating their home. However, this is a common issue among most robotic vacuum cleaners. These vacuums work best with open layouts.
11. Miele Complete C3
About: The Miele Complete C3 is a cannister-style vacuum that is provides plenty of suction and makes it easy to eliminate the dog hair coating your carpets and upholstery.
- Features the Miele SEB-228 Powerhead, which provides unparalleled power and suction
- The included Miele SBB300-3 Parquet Floor Brush makes it easy to reach under furniture
- Comes with Active Air Clean Filter to help reduce pet odors while cleaning the air
- Optional Performance Pack comes with 16 filter bags, 1 HEPA filter and 4 pre-motor filters
The Miele Complete C3 is clearly one of the best vacuums available for pet owners. Most people who tried it found that it worked exceptionally well and made quick work of cat and dog hair. A few owners also reported that their Miele Complete C3 has worked perfectly for years.
The biggest downside to the Meile Complete C3 is undoubtedly its high price point, but most owners found that it was worth the money they spent, given the way it handled dog hair.
12. Dyson DC41 Animal Vacuum
About: The Dyson DC41 Animal Vacuum is one of the best-rated vacuums for cleaning up dog hair. It performs incredibly, but like most other Dyson vacuums, the DC41 is a premium product with a premium price tag.
- The Dyson uses a ball-pivot design, which provides maneuverability, even in very tight spaces
- If you purchase your Dyson from an authorized dealer, you’ll obtain a 5-year warranty on parts and labor
- Incredibly powerful cleaner head works well for removing stubborn patches of hair
- Touch-free bin emptying design
Dyson vacuums are famous for their unique design and powerful suction, which works very well for removing pet hair. Additionally, this vacuum collects microscopic particles (as small as 0.5 microns in size), which will help reduce the amount of dander floating around your home.
With an extremely high price tag, the Dyson DC41 Animal Upright is one of the most expensive vacuum cleaners on the market. This makes it an unrealistic option for budget-minded puppy parents.
Dog Vaccum FAQs
Are pet vacuums worth the price?
Generally, yes. Pet owners need high powered vacuums and additional filters to suck up large volumes of pet hair and dander, and this kind of sucking power will always come with a higher price tag.
What special features to pet vacuums offer?
Pet vacuums often include allergen filters to suck up your dog’s dander as well as his hair, and also usually offer a variety of attachments that allow you to grab pet hair from hard-to-reach spots like between couch cushions and on top of stairs.
More Tips for Dealing with Pet Hair!
Now that you’ve picked out a great vacuum for dealing with your pet’s hair, be sure to check out this video to learn a few more tips for keeping your home free of fur!
Besides what’s mentioned here, consider opting for dog-friendly furniture that’s easy to clean and maintain, and make sure to groom your dog regularly to keep all that fur outside rather than inside.
Have you tried any of the models discussed above? We’d love to hear about your experiences. Or perhaps you know of an effective, yet under-the-radar vacuum for dog hair that we missed? Let us know in the comments below!