Hello there, fellow bulldog enthusiast! Are you tired of wading through a sea of dog food options, trying to find the perfect one for your furry friend? We totally get it! That’s why we’ve put together this guide on the best dog foods for bulldogs.
We’ll help you navigate the world of dog food and find the pawfect option for your pup. From the factors you should consider when choosing dog food to our top picks for the best dog foods for bulldogs, we’ve got you covered.
So, let’s dive in and find the most tail-waggingly delicious food for your furry friend!
Bulldog Food Selection Considerations: Things to Think About
You don’t want to just walk into the pet store and pick up the first (or the cheapest!) bag of dog food you see. Instead, you want to pick a dog food that’ll be a good fit for your bulldog.
To do that, start by understanding some of the common health conditions that affect bulldogs and how they relate to your food selection.
- Calorie-Conscious: To keep your bulldog looking and feeling her best, it’s important to feed her a balanced diet with a moderate amount of calories that is appropriate for her age, weight, and activity level, as the breed is prone to packing on pounds. Selecting a food with a high fiber content may also help to keep her fuller while giving her fewer calories. You should also make sure that your dog gets plenty of exercise and avoid giving her too many people foods or treats.
- Joint-Friendly: Hip dysplasia can be a real pain in the butt for bulldogs (*rimshot*). But don’t worry! You can help keep the condition less painful and more manageable by keeping your bulldog at a healthy weight and selecting a food with joint-supporting ingredients like glucosamine and chondroitin. These ingredients help strengthen your bulldog’s joints and keep them working smoothly.
- Rich in Omega-3s: Bulldogs are prone to a variety of skin ailments. To help keep your bulldog’s coat healthy and prevent itchy skin, you can feed her a food that contains a bunch of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids help reduce inflammation and promote healthy skin.
- Limited Ingredients: Food allergies are no fun for anyone — especially not your bulldog! To avoid these issues, you can feed your bulldog a dog food that doesn’t contain common allergic triggers like beef, chicken, wheat, or dairy products. That way, you can keep your furry friend happy and healthy!
- Crunchy Texture: Bulldogs have a unique jaw and mouth structure that can make them more susceptible to dental issues, so many owners like to opt for a crunchy kibble which may help scrape plaque from their teeth. Some owners even opt for a food that’s specifically designed for tooth health. Additionally, make sure you’re always brushing your bulldog’s chompers regularly.
The 11 Best Foods for Bulldogs: Nom Nom Nom!
Now that you know some of the most important things to consider when selecting a food for your bulldog, we can move on to some of the best options on the market! Take a look at the following foods and see which one seems like the best fit for your fur baby!
1. Ollie [Best Overall Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Bulldog pawrents seeking the bee’s knees of dog food, even if it costs a good bit more.
About: Ollie serves up a fresh and paw-some experience, delivering pre-portioned meals that are jam-packed with whole animal proteins and minimally processed ingredients. It’s like a chef’s kiss for your mutt’s taste buds! And guess what? All Ollie’s food is made in the USA, but they go global with their ingredient sourcing. They’re like culinary globe-trotters!
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Oats, Chickpeas, Pea Flour, Chicken Livers, & Whole Dried Eggs
- Made With Human-Grade Ingredients: Ollie recipes use fresh meat, whole grains, tasty fruits, and vitamin-packed vegetables to produce a gourmet dinner for your fur ball.
- Protein-Forward Food: Real meat is always the star of the show, and organ meats tag along for the tasty ride. These recipes clock in between 35% and 44% protein content (via dry matter analysis), depending on the exact recipe they craft for your canine.
- All-Life-Stages Recipes: Ollie’s got a plan for every stage of your pup’s life. From playful puppyhood to wise adulthood, they’ve got vet-formulated recipes that meet the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages.
- Company Gives Back: Ollie’s got a heart of gold! They donate 1% of their proceeds to rescue organizations and shelters, helping sniffers in need.
Chicken, oats, chickpeas, pea flour, chicken livers, whole dried eggs...,
carrots, sweet potatoes, tricalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, apples, salt, spinach, calcium carbonate, fish oil, sunflower oil, rosemary extract, choline bitartrate, vitamin e supplement, zinc gluconate, potassium iodide, ferrous bisglycinate chelate, copper amino acid chelate, beta carotene (vitamin a), riboflavin (vitamin b2), niacin, cholecalciferol (vitamin d3), cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), calcium pantothenate (vitamin b5), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin b1), potassium citrate, folic acid
- Dogs go ga-ga over the taste of Ollie
- Each recipe is custom crafted for your specific dog
- It’s hard to top the quality of human-grade ingredients
- A cute little “leftover” container included to make it easy to store uneaten portions
- We love that they donate to dog-related charities
- A subscription is required to place your order
- Fresh foods like Ollie require refrigeration, which isn’t super convenient for some dog moms and dads
2. Wellness Complete Health [Best Dry Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners after a high-quality dry dog food with built-in skin and joint support will love this premium kibble.
About: Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food is a tail-waggingly good choice for many bulldogs. This kibble scores high marks in the taste department, thanks to top-notch protein leading the ingredient parade. Plus, it’s packed with fresh fruits and veggies, providing a cornucopia of nutrients and fiber. As an added bonus, antioxidant-rich ingredients are thrown into the mix to support a robust immune system, and omega-3 fatty acids to keep your pup’s fur shiny and skin healthy.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, & Peas
- Joint Joy: This doggy chow is loaded with glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega-3 fatty acids, to help support your little wagger’s hips, elbows, and knees.
- Gut Health Guru: Wellness Complete is a probiotic party, aiding in digestion and making it a potential lifesaver for pups with sensitive stomachs.
- Proudly American: Wellness is crafted in the USA, using ingredients sourced globally from quality-conscious suppliers — a true blend of the best!
- Nature’s Best: Wellness believes in keeping it real with natural ingredients from plant, animal, and mineral sources, all while saying a big “NO” to artificial preservatives and colors.
- Safety Savvy: With a top-tier AA grade for food safety from BRC audits, Wellness ensures our furry friends’ snacks are free from molds and other pathogens.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Peas...,
Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Chicory Root Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic Powder, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- It includes joint-supporting ingredients to keep your bulldog bouncing
- Prebiotics and probiotics for a happy tummy
- Great quality for the price
- Rich in antioxidants from fresh produce
- Not all dogs seem to like the taste
- Some pawrents prefer to pick dog foods without legumes
3. Canidae Chicken & Rice [Best Canned Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners of bulldogs with dental woes or in need of enticing at mealtime are a great match for this grub.
About: Canidae All Life Stages Pate-Style Wet Food is a protein-rich, grain-inclusive food made with all of the things your doggo needs, but without any of the unnecessary junk some other foods include (like artificial colors or flavors). Made with real chicken and brown rice, this top-notch food will have your pup beggin’ for more. It’s also worth noting that this food can be used as a standalone meal or as a delicious kibble topper. focused nutrition.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Product, & Brown Rice
- Perfect for All Life Stages: This vet-approved recipe ticks the AAFCO nutrient profile box for all life stages, making it a perfect pick for bulldogs of all ages.
- Proudly Made in the USA: Canidae is made in the US of A from ingredients sourced both domestically and globally from trusted suppliers.
- Tempting Texture: This pate-style food will not only help keep your canine hydrated but it also has a texture that most dogs love (it’s also easy for dogs with dental problems to eat).
- Skin and Coat Boost: Packed with omega-3-rich salmon oil, this formula helps your dog’s coat and skin from within.
- No Carrageenan: Canidae All Life Stages is free from carrageenan, a red seaweed-derived food thickener that’s stirred up some controversy.
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Dried Egg Product, Brown Rice...,
- Pate texture and taste usually score a perfect 10 with four-legged friends!
- The all life stages formula means you can feed it to your dog for life
- It’s one of the relatively few grain-inclusive canned options on the market
- We wish you could get it in multiple flavors
- Some dogs might prefer a stew-form wet food over the pate style.
4. Diamond Naturals [Most Affordable Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents demanding premium, protein-packed eats that won’t cost a paw and a tail will love this kibble.
About: We get it, not everyone can spring for top-tier doggie dining. But hey, just because you’re not flush with cash doesn’t mean your furry friend has to munch on second-rate chow. Enter Diamond Naturals. This kibble is packed with premium proteins, wholesome carbs, and fresh produce, and even comes with a side of joint supplements!
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, & Cracked Pearled Barley
- Protein Party: With whole chicken and chicken meal in the mix, this kibble is like a protein-packed party for your pup’s muscles.
- Antioxidant Extravaganza: This food is brimming with antioxidants, keeping your dog’s immune system running at full speed.
- Homegrown Goodness: This kibble is lovingly crafted in the USA by a family-owned company. Each bite screams of love and care!
- Skin & Coat Care: Omega-3s, come on down! These fatty acids are great for supporting healthy skin and a glossy coat.
- Au Natural: Say so long to artificial colors and flavors. This food keeps it real, offering only real, wholesome ingredients best for your best friend.
- Tummy TLC: This recipe is loaded with probiotics, treating your pup’s digestion to some extra tender love and care.
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley...,
chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), grain sorghum, dried yeast, dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
- This is a top-notch dog food that won’t break the bank
- This dog food comes with joint-supporting supplements
- Probiotics and fiber-rich ingredients are on board for smooth sailing digestion
- This dog food is often out of stock (probably due to its popularity)
- Compared to pricier options, some pups might give this kibble a less enthusiastic chomp
5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy [Best Dog Food for Bulldog Puppies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Those with a baby bulldog ready to grow big and strong are this food’s ideal match.
About: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Formula is packed with lean proteins and good-for-your-dog grains, meaning that this kibble doesn’t just fill your pup’s belly – it’ll fuel a lifetime of tail-wagging wellness. This tasty chow also includes DHA and ARA – two fancy-sounding fatty acids that help to support her brain, eyes, and coat. And let’s not forget the star of the show: Blue’s trademark LifeSource Bits. Full of antioxidants, they’ll help boost your puppy’s immune health.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Meat is the Main Event: The first ingredient on this food’s list? Real, delicious meat. It’s the protein power your puppy needs to grow big and strong.
- Probiotics Power-Up: Added probiotics make this recipe a belly-pleasing choice, supporting your pup’s digestion.
- No Nasty Stuff: This kibble says “no way” to corn, soy, wheat, and poultry by-product meals – ingredients many pet parents like to avoid.
- Fruit and Veggie Bonanza: A colorful medley of fruits and vegetables like carrots, blueberries, and cranberries provide natural vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and a burst of flavor your puppy will love.
- Born and Baked in the USA: Blue Buffalo dog food is proudly made in America, using globally-sourced ingredients.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley...,
Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Pea Protein, Fish Oil (source of ARA-Arachidonic Acid and DHA- Docosahexaenoic Acid), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Direct Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Chicory Root, Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary
- Most puppies give this food two paws up for taste
- It’s fortified with probiotics to support a healthy tummy
- The small kibble size is just right for tiny puppy mouths
- The mix of proteins can cause issues for pups with allergies
- Some picky eaters might turn their noses up at the LifeSource Bits
6. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Canned Senior [Best Dog Food for Senior Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
If you have a senior bulldog with a pickier palate or dental concerns that make kibble-only diets difficult, this food rocks.
About: When it comes to catering to the unique dietary needs of your golden-aged pup, Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe stands out from the pack. Bursting with quality and lip-smacking goodness and easy for older dogs (who often have dental issues) to eat, this canine cuisine is just the ticket for your senior sweetie.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, & Peas
- Star Protein: It’s a chicken feast! As the numero uno ingredient, chicken offers a protein-packed, delicious meal that your four-legged buddy will relish bite after bite.
- Pure Goodness: Say hello to a meal devoid of low-grade ingredients and artificial nasties like synthetic flavors or preservatives; this is a healthy, hearty meal that your furry friend will lap up.
- Joint Jamboree: This food contains plenty of glucosamine and chondroitin for joint support to keep your cherished pet spry and comfy!
- Nutrition Dynamo: This dish doesn’t just stop at top-grade ingredients. It’s also a treasure trove of added vitamins and minerals for that extra wellness boost.
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, Peas...,
Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Sweet Potatoes, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Cassia Gum, Salt, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)
- High moisture content makes this a winner for dogs who don’t drink enough
- Most pooches give it a paws up for taste
- It’s a rare find – a grain-inclusive wet food
- Some pup parents found the pate-style food a tad too messy and liquidy
- In line with most wet foods, this recipe doesn’t feature probiotics
7. Honest Kitchen [Best Dehydrated Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This is a great option for pet parents seeking a protein-dense, premium food in an eco-friendly, highly-palatable, and portable design.
About: The Honest Kitchen brings you a dehydrated delight that whips up into a scrumptious medley of meat, veggies, and grains that your pooch can’t resist. Crafted with love and gentle cooking methods to preserve taste and nutrients, this top-tier chow comes in 10-pound boxes that transform into 40 pounds of food. This not only makes it a big hit with apartment dwellers, but it also gets two paws up for being eco-friendlier when it comes to shipping.
First Five Ingredients: Dehydrated Beef, Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes, Dehydrated Potatoes, Organic Flaxseed, & Dried Organic Coconut
- Fit for a Human: The Honest Kitchen is the leader of the pack when it comes to quality, being the first pet food brand to legally boast its grub as human-grade after winning their case in court.
- Grain Galore or Grain No More: This is one of the few high-quality dog foods that are available in both grain-free and grain-inclusive forms.
- Protein Powerhouse: The first ingredient is always genuine meat, ensuring your tail-wagger gets the necessary protein for lean, muscular build.
- Safety First: Each batch of The Honest Kitchen’s food undergoes rigorous third-party testing for pathogens before hitting the distribution circuit, thanks to their stringent Test, Hold, and Release Program.
- Homegrown Goodness: The Honest Kitchen whips up all its food right here in the USA, using globally-sourced ingredients from reliable suppliers.
Dehydrated Beef, Dehydrated Sweet Potatoes, Dehydrated Potatoes, Organic Flaxseed, Dried Organic Coconut...,
- The rehydrated mash’s texture is a dream come true for finicky eaters and those with dental woes
- Crafted with top-notch, human-grade ingredients
- Most pooches find the flavor absolutely tail-waggingly delicious
- These foods could make your wallet whimper more than regular dog kibble
- Dehydrated foods might turn mealtime into a messy affair
8. Blue Buffalo True Solutions [Best Dog Food for Bulldogs With Sensitive Skin]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of bulldogs with skin issues can benefit from this food’s omega-3-rich recipe.
About: Blue Buffalo True Solutions Perfect Coat is a tailor-made blend of omega-3 fatty acids, authentic fish, and wholesome grains, all aimed at pampering your canine’s skin and coat from within. This grub says a big, fat “no”’ to typical sensitivity culprits like chicken, corn, and eggs, making it a perfect pick for our sensitive pooches. Plus, it packs a punch of real fruits like cranberries and blueberries, offering a natural dose of vitamins.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, & Barley
- Expert-Approved: This food recipe is the brainchild of animal nutrition wizards and vets who know a thing or two about skin and coat health.
- Antioxidant Bonanza: The kibble includes Blue’s famous LifeSource Bits, cold-pressed nuggets brimming with vitamins C and E for that much-needed immune boost.
- Naturally Tasty: You won’t find any artificial flavors, colors, or additives in this food – t’s all about the natural goodness.
- Digestive Helper: With fiber-rich pumpkin and probiotics on board, your doggo’s tummy is in for a treat.
- Homegrown Goodness: Blue Buffalo is a proud “Made in America” brand, boasting quality ingredients sourced from around the globe.
Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Barley...,
Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Canola Oil, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Peas, Pea Protein, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Fish Oil (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Potassium Chloride, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Pumpkin, Dried Chicory Root, Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, DL-Methionine, L-Threonine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Tryptophan, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Taurine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), L-Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary
- Crafted by dog nutrition maestros with a focus on skin and coat health
- Avoids common allergens like chicken or eggs
- Probiotics included for a happy, healthy gut
- Some doggies turn their noses up at Blue’s LifeSource Bits
- A broader protein variety would be a win for those pups not so keen on fish
9. Nutro ULTRA Weight Management [Best Weight Management Dog Food for Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners worried about a bulldog’s ever-growing waistline can benefit from this calorie-conscious kibble.
About: Nutro ULTRA Weight Management Recipe is more than just a weight-loss formula. It’s a nutritional powerhouse packed with three different proteins – salmon, lamb, and chicken. This triple threat not only aids in shedding those pesky pounds, but it’s also a smorgasbord of flavors that’ll make your pupper’s taste buds do the happy dance. Despite being a low-calorie doggo delight, it doesn’t skimp on essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, or those oh-so-important fatty acids for skin and coat health.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, & Rice Bran
- Chicken Mania: Leading the ingredient list is real, protein-packed chicken. It’s all about keeping your furry friend fueled and fabulous.
- Grains Galore: This isn’t some fad diet! Our grain-inclusive recipe is filled with rice and oatmeal, to keep your pup satisfied and her tail going like a windmill in a gale.
- Fruit and Veggie Fiesta: Weight management doesn’t mean bidding adieu to the produce aisle. This recipe boasts a vibrant mix of dried spinach, dried blueberries, and dried apples. These superfoods not only add a burst of flavor but also serve as a vitamin and mineral powerhouse for your four-legged companion.
- Homegrown Hero: Proudly made in the USA, this food guarantees top-tier quality and safety.
Chicken, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran...,
Whole Grain Oatmeal, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Whole Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Kale, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Blueberries, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Selenium Yeast, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.
- Most doggos dig the food’s taste (no actual digging required!)
- An excellent blend of proteins supports lean muscle health and development
- Packed with “superfoods” to keep your pup’s immune system in tip-top shape
- Some pawrents reported the kibble size to be a tad too small
- Dogs with food allergies or sensitive tummies may find the multiple proteins a bit much
10. Zignature Salmon [Best Dog Food for Bulldogs With Food Allergies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Bulldogs with food allergies to common proteins, such as chicken or beef.
About: Got a bulldog with food allergies? Treat your beloved pooch to one of Zignature’s Limited Ingredient Formulas. These premium dog foods showcase the luscious tastes of “novel” meats, including options like venison and goat. Rest assured, these top-tier proteins are responsibly sourced, making them eco-friendly choices to boot!.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, & Sunflower Oil
- Science FTW!: This dog food has been expertly crafted by a team of food scientists and animal nutritionists to boost immunity and promote healthy skin and coat.
- Skip the Allergens, Please: This product is made without chicken, potatoes, wheat, or dairy, which are often known to cause allergies in dogs.
- Made in the Good ‘ol US of A: While the dog food is proudly made in the USA, it doesn’t limit itself when it comes to sourcing the best ingredients. The brand ensures a global search for top-notch ingredients to offer your canine companion the best of what the world has to offer.
- Complex Carbs for the Win: Forget about the simple carbs that other brands sneak into their recipes. This dog food is all about complex carbohydrates.
Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Sunflower Oil (Preserved With Citric Acid)...,
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, D‐Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dha, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Calcium Carbonate, L-Carnitine
- Each food variation focuses on a single protein, eliminating common allergens
- An array of protein options, including exotic meats, keeps meal times exciting
- Many dogs have given this food a tail-wagging seal of approval
- It’s a pity there are no grain-inclusive recipes
- These kibbles may be a bit more of a splurge than your regular dog food
11. Blue Buffalo W+M [Best Dog Food for Bulldogs with Joint Problems]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This dry dog food is ideal for pet pawrents of bulldogs with joint concerns, like hip dysplasia or arthritis.
About: Does your four-legged pal need a little extra boost for her joints? If so, Blue Buffalo’s W+M Recipe might just be your pup’s new best friend. This salmon and chicken recipe is like a joint-supporting superhero. It’s packed to the brim with omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin. Best of all, this recipe doubles as a weight management formula, which will help take some strain of your pup’s joints.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Powdered Cellulose, & Peas
- It’s a dual-action warrior, supporting both joint health and weight loss
- It’s fortified with omega-3s, vitamins, minerals, and joint supplements (talk about a power-packed meal!)
- Whole fish tops the ingredient list (yum!)
- It’s proudly made in the USA (woohoo!)
- It’s a fiber-rich recipe promoting great digestion (because a happy tummy means a happy pup)
Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Powdered Cellulose, Peas...,
- Improved mobility and weight loss reported by many owners
- Dogs – including picky eaters – love the taste
- Some dogs showed increased energy levels
- Like most prescription diets, it’s relatively pricey
- Grain-free nature may give some owners pause
General Advice for Picking a Dog Food
We’ve already explained some of the things bulldog parents need to keep in mind when picking a dog food, but there are also some important things all dog owners should think about when choosing a chow..
Alright, when choosing the pawfect food for your furry friend, here are some key things to keep in mind.
For example, always look for a food that checks the following boxes:
- AAFCO-Approved: Look for a food that meets the nutritional guidelines set by AAFCO. This ensures your mastiff gets all the essential nutrients they need at every stage of life, from puppy to senior doggo.
- Vet Consultation: Before making a decision, talk to your vet! They know your dog’s history, breed-specific needs, and any dietary restrictions. Plus, they can help you decode those tricky food labels.
- Health-Specific: If your pup has any health conditions or concerns, go for a food that caters to their needs. Whether it’s joint support or stomach sensitivity, there are special formulas that can help manage their symptoms and keep them feeling fantastic.
As long as you pick a food that meets these three criteria, you’ll almost certainly end up with a nutritious option for your pet to nom. However, you can go from “good enough” to “out-of-this-world awesome” by looking for a food made by a brand that checks the following boxes:
- Canine Nutritionist on Staff: Does the brand have a doggy diet pro on their team? Having a canine nutritionist helps ensure the food is well-balanced and nourishing for your four-legged pal.
- Safety First: Check if the company conducts regular safety inspections. It’s important for the food to be produced in hygienic conditions and with fresh, safe ingredients.
- Quality Ingredients: Look out for clear labeling, so you know exactly what your pup is chowing down on. Avoid unnecessary additives and stick to high-quality ingredients, no artificial stuff, please!
- Beneficial Supplements: Foods with supplements like chondroitin and glucosamine are like magic potions for your pup’s joints, keeping them agile and groovin’.
- Whole Grains FTW: Whole and minimally processed grains pack more fiber and nutrients. So, go for those wholesome grains to keep your dog’s tummy happy.
- Tailored to Your Pooch: Remember, every dog is unique! So pick a food that suits your dog’s life stage, breed, and age. And, of course, one she digests well.
Keeping all of these things in mind will help ensure that your doggo not only gets a safe, healthy, and nutritious food, but also one that treats her taste buds and tummy right!
Best Dog Food for Bulldogs: FAQ
Still have questions about choosing your bulldog’s chow? We’re here to help! We’ve rounded up some of the most common bulldog food questions and answered them below!
What food is best for bulldogs?
The best food to feed your English bulldog is a high-quality dog food that is appropriate for her age, weight, and activity level. It should also be a food that your vet approves of and addresses any specific health concerns your pet has. You should also avoid giving your pooch high-calorie foods or too many treats.
What kind of food should bulldogs eat?
Different bulldogs need different kinds of diet, so you should always select a food that suits your specific pet. For example, if your bulldog is overweight, she may need a weight management formula. Or, if she’s missing teeth, she may need a wet dog food that’s easy to eat.
What should you not feed a bulldog?
Bulldogs should avoid foods that are high in calories or contain common allergens like beef, chicken, wheat, or dairy products. And, of course, they should also avoid foods that are toxic to dogs.
Do bulldogs need grain free food?
Grain-free diets have been linked to heart disease in some dogs. While grain-free foods can be beneficial for bulldogs with food sensitivities or allergies to grains, it’s important to work with your veterinarian to identify the best diet for your bulldog.
Can bulldogs eat normal food?
Yes, bulldogs can eat normal dog food. However, bulldogs tend to have allergies along with sensitive digestive tracts, so you may need to experiment with several different recipes to find the best one for your floof.
So there you have it, fellow pet parents – 11 of the best foods for your bulldog! You should certainly be able to find the perfect chow for your canine from the list above. Just remember, every dog is an individual and what works for one may not work for another.
But we want to hear from you, too. What do you feed your bulldog? Have you found anything that works especially well? What about anything that did not work?
Let us know in the comments below!