Everyone has been howling over BarkBoxes this year, as more owners signup for these canine care packages.
What Is It? BarkBox is a monthly subscription service delivering treats and toys to your doorstep.
How Does BarkBox Work?
BarkBox sends you a curated collection of doggy treats, toys, and accessories each month to delight your doggy!
The whole process is very simple – just choose your dog’s size, choose your subscription length, and wait for your BarkBox to arrive!
BarkBox will customize your box based on your dog’s size. Bark Boxes come in several different selections depending on your dog’s size. Sizes include:
- Small BarkBox aka “Small & Cute”: 0-10lbs
- Medium BarkBox aka “Just Right” : 20-50lbs
- Big BarkBox aka “Big & Bold” : 50+ lbs
Bark Box Review Contents: What to Expect
When you order a Bark Box, each month you’ll receive 4-6 items customized for your canine. Every box has at least:
- 2 All-Natural Healthy Bags of Treats
- 2 Innovative & Super Fun Dog Toys
- A dog chew
Outside of this formula, every BarkBox is a mystery – and that’s half the fun!
BarkBoxes have fun themes each month that often match the season – during the holidays, expect holiday-themed toys and treats your pooch can play around with!
BarkBox Quality: Top Vendors, Top Ingredients
There are plenty of different monthly subscription boxes for dogs on the market, but BarkBox continues to be one of the most popular and highly-recommended dog boxes available.
BarkBox only provides treats and toys from trusted, reliable vendors who use the highest quality ingredients.
When it comes to BarkBox toys, know that goodies are tested by the BarkBox team’s own puppy squad, so your Barbox-delivered dog toys and treats are guaranteed to delight your four-legged pal.
BarkBox Review 2017: Is BarkBox a Good Value?
Money wise, BarkBox is a pretty decent good value, as the combined cost of the treats and toys you receive is usually substantially higher than what you pay for your monthly subscription.
Take this real Bark Box example.
This Bark Box contained:
- Aussie Floatie Shark Toy [$11.99]
- Plato Natural Duck Strips 6 oz. [$7.05]
- Honest Kitchen Ice Pups packet [$.99]
- Primal Freeze-Dried Turkey Liver Munchies 2 oz. [$6.99]
- Barkworthies Bully Flakes 4 oz. [$4.50]
The total cost of these items would normally be $31.52 if you bought them independently. However, depending on your Bark Box subscription, this package could cost you as little as $21.00. Not a bad deal!
If you regularly buy your dog treats and toys, it’s likely that BarkBox is a good value and worth giving a try. However, if you don’t usually spend $20-$30/month on dog treats and toys, BarkBox might not be a great deal for you.
BarkBox Subscriptions Prices
BarkBox prices vary depending on how long you sign-up for. For the best value, it’s recommended that you subscribe to the 12 month Bark Box plan. It ends up being $22/month, but you’ll have to pay the entire cost for the year upfront ($228 total).
Please make sure you understand – when committing to a 6 month or 12-month plan, you are committed to paying those months. You can’t get the discount for signing up for a 6 or 12-month plan and then cancel.
Most people who are unahppy with BarkBox cite this as their compliant, as they don’t always read the fine print and realize that signing up for a 6 month plan means you are committed for 6 months (although you should be able to change delivery dates or move months around if you are going away and will be out of town).
|12 Month Bark Box Plan||$21/month [best value]|
|6 Month Bark Box Plan||$25/month|
|1 Month Bark Box Plan||$29/month|
BONUS COUPONS: Order from BarkBox with this link and coupon code K9OFMINE to get 1 FREE BarkBox month added to your subscription!
In addition to your monthly subscription plan, you also have the option of adding a premium toy to your box each month for an extra +$9. Something to consider if you’re looking for bonus toys.
Subscriptions include free shipping, unless you live in Hawaii or Alaska (sorry guys, you’ll have to pay $5).
It’s also important to note that plans renew automatically, so make sure you set up a reminder or event on your calendar to cancel your renewal when your subscription period is about to end.
You can actually cancel anytime, and that will simply mean that you are canceling your renewal – NOT your current subscription. Subscriptions are processed by the 3rd of each month, so make sure to at least cancel by then if you don’t want to be renewed in the following month.
BarkBox for Allergies
BarkBox knows that some canines have allergies, but that doesn’t mean they should miss out on all the fun!
All BarkBoxes are wheat, corn, and soy free (which is awesome), so you don’t need to do anything special if you dog is allergic to those ingredients.
If your dog is allergic to beef, chicken, and turkey, BarkBox offers a special allergy-friendly option for them, providing hypoallergenic dog treats and goodies just for your pooch. You’ll just need to contact them directly to get the allergy-friendly box.
Other Cool Things About BarkBox
In addition to their neat doggy subscription service, it’s also worth noting that BarkBox…
- Gives 10% of all profits to animal shelters, plus they have a BarkGood program to help out over 3,000 shelters and rescue groups across the USA and Canada!
- Has the Scout’s Honor Guarantee, which promises that if your pup doesn’t like something that arrives in his or her BarkBox, you can get a replacement item for free!
- Avoids as much processing as possible, using wheat-free, soy-free, corn-free, filler-free, and even organic items whenever possible. They’re doing the best to move towards limited, even single, ingredient products.
- Get more of your favorites. If you see something awesome in your BarkBox, you can reorder it from the BarkShop!
- Sources all treats from the USA and Canada. In addition, chews come from the USA, Canada, South America, Australia and New Zealand. The BarkBox crew promises they wouldn’t send your pup anything they wouldn’t give their own fur babies.
- They have an amazing blog, the BarkPost, which is an unending source of canine cuteness!
- Your pup can become an online sensation since BarkBox encourages customers to post pictures of their pooch enjoying their BarkBox on the PuppyFeed!
- Allows you to give BarkBox as a gift to another doggy pal.
BarkBox Subscription Reviews
We’ve detailed everything you need to know about BarkBox, but sometimes it still helps to see some unboxing videos to get a better sense of what BarkBox is all about.
Here are some BarkBox reviews from customers on YouTube that you may find helpful…
Meg Turney and her dog Penny unbox their delivery in a BarkBox review.
Another BarkBox review from YouTube user fancytaffypop and her dog, Dugan.
This review from Natasha Torcuato serves as a great look at one you can expect to find when you open a bark box.
There is one major downfall to Bark Boxes – no MeowBox. No worries though – check out our list of cat monthly subscription boxes, which basically serve as a kind of Bark Box for cats.
If you LOVE getting special toys and treats delivered to your pooch each month, also make sure to check out our collection of other dog subscription boxes!