It’s hard seeing your canine companion age, but a quality dog bed can bring tons of happiness and comfort to your dog during his golden years.
Today we’re outlining popular features you’ll find in orthopedic dog beds, as well as suggestions on the top-rated dog beds for senior arthritic dogs.
Best Dog Beds For Old Dogs: Quick Picks
- Big Barker [Best For Large and XL Dogs] A whopping 7″ of memory + support foam layers, designed to provide joint relief for large and extra-large dogs. Made in the USA with a 10 year “won’t flatten” guarantee.
- K&H Deluxe Round Ortho Bolster [Best For Dogs That Curl Up] Made of soft medical-grade orthopedic foam with raised edges, perfect for dogs that like to curl up into a ball when they sleep.
- Brindle Memory Foam Mattress [Best For Dogs Under 75 lbs] 4 inches of memory + support foam for ultimate canine comfort, plus a removable, washable cover that’s also waterproof. Comes in several great designs and multiple sizes. Large fits maximum 75 lb dog.
- Extra Large Orthopedic Dog Bed [Most Size Options] 4″ memory foam bed that includes waterproof liner along with two removable covers. Available in several colors and tons of different sizes for total customization.
Dog Beds for Older Dogs
Orthopedic dog beds have various features to make your senior canine snug and comfy in their old age. Some popular orthopedic dog bed features are:
- Memory Foam: Orthopedic dog beds with memory foam are highly recommended for senior canines. They help ease the pain of achy joints, and the stiff foam makes it easier for old dogs to get up after laying down.
- Warming Beds: Heated dog beds are another great choice for older arthritic dogs, as the warmth works to relieve your canine’s aches and pains. Some act similar to heated blankets and need to be plugged in, while others can be microwaved. Still others retain your dog’s own heat to keep them warm.
- Liquid/Stain Resistant As dogs get older, accidents become more frequent as bladder and bowel control deteriorates. Liquid and stain resistant dog beds can help provide a solution, so opt for an incontinence-friendly dog bed when available. Look for a bed with an orthopedic base, a waterproof lining, and a removable cover that can be taken off and washed.
5 Best Dog Beds for Arthritic Dogs
When keeping your aging or achy dog happy and comfy, you’ll want to consider a variety of dog bed options. We’re providing info on some of the top-rated dog beds – these beds are all fan favorites and come highly recommended.
We try to give info on what reviewers liked and did not like about each bed, so that you can get an honest, objective evaluation of each dog bed. Read our pros, cons, and customer reviews to see which dog bed will be best for your pooch!
1. Big Barker
The Big Barker Dog Bed wins our gold award for best dog beds for older dogs with arthritis or large dogs in general. It has incredible customer ratings across many online sellers, and owners rave about the bed’s impressive support and design.
- Extra Support for Large Dogs. This bed boasts unparalleled comfort and support for large canines.
- Maximum Amount of Orthopedic Foam. 7 inches of high-quality comfort and support foam.
- 10 Year Guarantee. Comes with a guarantee that the bed will retain 90% of its shape for 10 years, or you’ll get your money back.
- Made in the USA. Handcrafted in the USA by skilled craftsmen.
- Easy to Clean. 100% microfiber cover is machine washable.
- Highest Quality + Stellar Customer Feedback. While at a much higher price point, this bed is highly recommended and receives rave reviews from customers.
The Big Barker is the best when it comes to providing extreme support for arthritic old dogs. It’s one of the only dog beds with a “giant” size for XXL dogs. In addition, the American-made memory foam is guaranteed to retain 90% of its shape over 10 years!
The only disadvantage with the Big Barker is that it comes at a higher price point than most other dog beds. However, as buyers have noted, you’ll never have to buy another dog bed again thanks to the great warranty and long-lasting quality.
2. Happy Hounds Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Happy Hounds Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed is a comfortable, affordable dog bed great for seniors.
- Removable Cover. Removable cover allows for easy machine washing when your dog gets it dirty.
- Reversible Design. Reversible material, allowing you to choose between water-resistant microfiber or sherpa material.
- Made in the USA. This dog bed is made in the USA, so you know the quality and materials are safe and reliable.
The Happy Hounds orthopedic dog bed is lightweight but durable, providing plenty of support for your elderly dog. It’s also one of the most affordable orthopedic dog beds on the market, making it a great economical option.
While it’s a fairly decent dog bed, the Happy Hounds orthopedic bed isn’t the highest quality product. Some owners have also had issues with broken zippers and have been frustrated with the lack of warranty, which some other dog beds offer.
3. K&H Deluxe Round Ortho Bolster
- Comfortable Material. Made from soft micro suede material.
- Orthopedic Foam. Stuffed with 3 inches of medical-grade orthopedic foam.
- Easy to Clean. Removable covers and liners are easy to clean.
- Nesting Style Bed. This round, nested style bed offers raised rims for a safe, secure feeling.
- Comes in Several Sizes and Colors. Choose between Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. Also comes in green or eggplant.
- Medium Price Point. This bed is at a mid-range price point and available for easy online purchasing.
The K&H Deluxe Ortho Bolster is a senior dog bed that’s both durable and supportive, with curved bolster edging that’s great for dogs that like to curl up
Some owners have found that the bottom egg crate cushion is too thin and choose to add more cushioning.
4. Brindle Memory Foam Mattress
The Brindle Memory Foam Mattress is a top mid-priced dog bed that provides plenty of memory foam and support for arthritic older canines.
- 4 Inches of Foam. 2 inches of comfort memory foam and 2 inches of support foam.
- Removable Cover. Soft velour fabric cover can be zipped on and off for easy, machine washable cleaning.
- Hypoallergenic. Naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites.
- Warranty. Comes with 3-year warranty.
- Various Sizes. Comes in three sizes – small, medium, large.
- Medium Price Point. The Brindle Memory Foam Dog Mattress is at a mid-range price point and is available from Amazon for purchasing.
This dog bed is made of high quality foam and is designed to conveniently fit in regularly crates, making it a great bed for your dog’s kennel. This bed is also waterproof and easy to clean, which is always a plus!
Some owners complain of strong, chemical odor coming from the bed. It’s also worth noting that some buyers have had trouble have the warranty honored.
5. DogBed4Less Orthopedic Dog Bed
While not a major brand name, this DogBed4Less Orthopedic Dog Bed comes highly recommended online, with two layers of fabric and a hefty batch of memory foam for canine comfort.
- 2 Layers of Fabric. External zipper cover + waterproof internal zipper cover.
- Double Sided Cover. Removable, reversible external cover made of stain-resistant, machine washable microsuede fabric. 2nd layer cover is waterproof for easy cleaning.
- 4 Inches of Memory Foam. 4 inches of 3.2 lb density orthopedic memory foam.
- Free Bonus Cover. Comes with free extra bed cover.
- Medium Price Point. This mid-priced dog bed is a fairly affordable option and is available for purchasing online.
Owners note that this bed is made of quality support foam that keeps senior dogs comfy. It’s also great at retaining body heat to keep your dog warm, so likely a good choice for dogs that tend to be cold. As a bonus, this orthopedic dog bed also comes with a free bonus cover!
Some owners complain that the waterproof lining is not as waterproof as expected.
Choose A Special Bed For Your Senior Dog
As owners know, dogs spend a ton of time sleeping, and older dogs spend even more time resting! That’s why it’s absolutely worth investing in a high-quality dog bed.
If you’re still at a loss for what dog bed to choose, we suggest going with our Senior Dog Top Pick: The Big Barker!
Big Barker Recap: With unparalleled customer opinion (owners adore it), unmatched quality, and a 10 year guarantee, it’s no surprise this senior dog bed came out on top.
That concludes our list of best dog beds for older dogs. Do you have a favorite dog bed you want to recommend that isn’t on the list? Let us know in the comments!
More Senior Dog Information: If you have a senior dog and are looking to provide them comfort, we also recommend checking out our list of recommended pet stairs, which are great for helping elderly canines get around.