Given that most humans spend about 1/3 of their life sleeping, the importance of a good mattress is hard to overstate. It can make all the difference between waking refreshed each morning and watching the early-morning mattress commercials while guzzling eight gallons of coffee in an effort to open your eyes.
So, show a little compassion for your pooch – most dogs sleep for about half their life, maybe even a bit more. If a good mattress is important to you, it is absolutely vital for your pup.
There are a variety of different types of dog beds available, made with a few different types of fill materials. Some of the most popular beds feature a special type of fill material, called memory foam.
Best Memory Foam Dog Beds: Quick Picks
- Brindle Memory Foam Pet Bed [Best Overall] This high-quality bed features 2″ of support foam + 2″ of comfort memory foam (4″ foam total). The rectangular shape allows it to fit anywhere in your home (or in a crate). Includes waterproof removable cover. Several sizes and colors.
- PetFusion Pet Bed [Best With Bolsters] 4″ of memory foam with thick bolstered sides for leaning against. Several sizes from small to XXL.
- iComfort Sleeper Sofa Pet Bed [Best For Cooling Effects] This bed features a comfortable foam base along with cooling micro-gel beads designed to cool down a hot dog.
- Big Barker Orthopedic Bed [Best For Large & Giant Breeds] Specifically designed for large dogs, this bed includes 7″ of memory comfort + support foam, is made in the USA, and includes a 10-year-won’t-flatten guarantee.
Continue reading for more in-depth reviews
You’ve probably heard the term “memory foam” thrown around all the time, and used in the construction of many common consumer products.
In addition to dog beds, memory foam is important in the manufacturing of human beds, travel pillows, seat cushions, and a litany of other items.
What is Memory Foam Anyway?
But what’s so special about this foam, anyway? How does it differ from regular old foam?
Memory foam was actually invented by NASA in the 1960s. It was used to pad the seats on the airplanes the space agency was flying at the time. The actual material used to make memory foam is called viscoelastic.
Typical foam (polyurethane foam) provides cushion and insulation, but it doesn’t conform to your dog’s body – that’s where memory foam shines! The molecules in a piece of memory foam are able to move a little more freely when gently heated (such as by your body). So, when you or your dog lays down on a memory foam mattress, the foam softens and conforms to the warm body atop it.
This helps to provide remarkable support for the body, and distribute the pressure evenly across the mattress. And thanks to the fluid-like quality of the foam, it springs back into its original shape when the pressure is removed, so it is essentially “fresh” until your dog lies back down on it.
Which Dogs Benefit Most from Memory Foam?
Memory foam is a pretty good bed material for most dogs, but some benefit more from it than others. Give extra consideration to purchasing a memory foam dog bed if your dog falls into any of the following categories:
- Elderly Dogs – Older dogs often have health problems and the typical aches and pains that come with age. A memory foam mattress can help cradle your geriatric pooch’s body and give her a more comfortable night of sleep.
- Overweight Dogs – You may think that your pup’s extra padding alleviates the need for a particularly good mattress, but that is not the case. In actuality, overweight dogs benefit from the comfort provided by a memory foam mattress.
- Dogs with Joint or Skeletal Issues – Memory foam mattresses are especially helpful for dogs that suffer from hip, knee, spine or elbow problems. The body-conforming nature of the memory foam helps to cradle them and keep the pressure off of their painful joints.
- Dogs Battling Long-Term Illness – Dogs who spend a lot of their time lying down must have a comfortable bed to avoid the development of pressure wounds or bed sores. A memory foam bed can help prevent these types of problems.
In actuality, almost any dog will benefit from a memory foam mattress, and you can certainly try out one for your pup. The only major exception is for those dogs who like to “nest” while sleeping. These dogs are often more comfortable with a poly-fill bed or a specialized nesting dog bed, which they can shape a little more easily.
Memory Foam Dog Bed Considerations: Factors & Features
There aren’t a whole lot of ways memory foam mattresses vary, but there are a few differences that you should consider when selecting a bed.
- SHAPE – Note the position in which your dog likes to sleep, and take this into account when selecting a bed. If your dog sleeps stretched out on her back or side, you should opt for a rectangular bed. On the other hand, dogs that curl up when they sleep may prefer a round or elliptical bed.
- FOAM THICKNESS – Generally speaking, the thicker the foam the greater the comfort provided. You’ll pay more for thicker foam, but your pup will appreciate your sacrifice.
- SHEET OR SHREDDED – Some memory foam beds are filled with shredded pieces of foam, rather than full sheets. This is usually found in cheaper memory foam dogs beds and is considered less desirable, as the foam pieces can move about and clump unevenly, whereas beds made from a full sheet of foam will retain their shape.
- BOLSTERS – Dogs that like to sleep with their head resting on something may appreciate a dog bed with bolsters on one or more sides.
- COVER – It is always important to select a memory foam pet bed with a high-quality cover. Usually, beds with a removable cover are preferable to those that feature permanent covers, as it makes it easier to wash the cover and keep it clean.
7 Best Memory Foam Dog Beds: Our Top Picks
There are a number of excellent memory foam dog beds available, but the following seven deserve special consideration.
1. Brindle Waterproof Memory Foam Pet Bed
- 4" thick dog bed is made of 2" of conforming memory foam and 2" of high density support foam
- Zippered cover can be easily removed and is washer/dryer safe
- Waterproof layer beneath the cover protects memory foam from messes
- Durable from everyday wear and tear, soft fabric and non-slip bottom; Please note this product is...
About: The Brindle Memory Foam Pet Bed is a waterproof pet bed, designed to be not only comfortable, but durable so that your dog can enjoy it for years to come. The bed features two separate foam pads, including a 2-inch-thick memory foam pad as well as a 2-inch-thick high-density foam pad.
- The zippered cover can be removed and cleaned separately
- Available in three colors: Charcoal Velour, Navy Trellis and Red Sherpa
- Durable fabric ensures years of problem-free use
- Non-skid bottom ensures that the bed will stay in place
- The Brindle waterproof memory foam bed comes with a 3-year warranty
- Small: 22″ x 16″ x 4”
- Medium: 34″ x 22″ x 4”
- Large: 46″ x 28″ x 4”
If durability is important to you and your pup, then you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better option. The Brindle bed is one of the best-rated memory foam pet beds on the market, and it is available at a very reasonable price. Additionally, unlike many other beds, which are only partially waterproof, the entire memory foam pad is enclosed in a waterproof cover.
A few owners have bad experiences with dog urine penetrating the memory foam’s waterproof covering, but these seem to be the result of defective products, not a defective design.
2. PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed & Lounge
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort,...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear...
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair....
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+...
About: The PetFusion Pet Bed is a high-quality pet bed, built around a 4-inch-thick memory foam base, to provide your dog with a comfortable place to sleep.
Additionally, this bed features bolsters on three sides to give your pup a place to lay her head.
- Made with a water- and tear-resistant cover to help ensure it lasts for a long time
- Includes a 12-month limited warranty against manufacturer defects
- Non-skid bottom prevents the bed from sliding around on the floor
- Removable, zippered cover is completely machine washable
- Small: 25” x 20” x 5.5” (sleeping area: 21” x 16”)
- Large: 36” x 28” x 9” (sleeping area: 30” x 22”)
- Extra Large: 44” x 34” 10” (sleeping area: 36” x x26”)
Unlike some lesser beds, which rely on shredded memory foam, the PetFusion bed features a solid, 4-inch-thick memory foam pad, thereby providing your dog with unparalleled comfort. Additionally, the bolsters offer additional comfort for dogs that like head support.
Although the PetFusion Pet Bed feature a solid memory foam slab, the bolsters are filled with recycled polyfill, rather than memory foam. Some owners have noted that the fabric cover is very thin; fortunately, PetFusion sells replacement covers, so this shouldn’t be a big problem.
3. iComfort Sleeper Sofa with Cooling Effects
- Cool Action Dual Effects memory foam for Pressuring Relieving Comfort
- Zippered Removable Cover is Machine Washable
- Supportive Back Rest
- Enhanced Cooling Comfort
About: The iComfort Sleeper Sofa Pet Bed is a premium memory foam pet bed that features cooling microbeads to help keep your dog cool while she lays on her bed.
- Machine-washable, removable cover makes it easy to keep this memory foam bed clean
- Over-filled, pillow-top cover provides an extremely comfortable sleeping surface
- The back rest comfort pillow provides your pup with a place to rest her head while sleeping, as well as something to lean against.
- Cooling microbeads help carry heat away from your pet’s body, helping to ensure she stays comfortable
- Medium: 40” x 14” x 14”
The iComfort dog bed is a high-quality pet bed, designed to keep your pet comfortable through a number of different means. Few other beds feature the combination of the comfy back rest and internal elements to keep your pet from overheating.
As always, comfort comes at a price, but most reviewers report that the iComfort is well worth its price tag. The bed is only available in one size, which means that owners of large dogs may need to look at other options.
4. Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small...
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog...
- MADE IN THE USA: Handmade by craftsmen and craftswomen in our small Pennsylvania workshop that's...
About: The Big Barker Orthopedic Bed is specifically designed with large dogs in mind. Manufactured with premium-grade, American-made orthopedic foam, the Big Barker is built to provide your dog with a comfortable place to sleep for many years.
- Guaranteed to retain its shape and 90% of its loft for 10 years
- Hand-made by experienced craftsmen in the USA, ensuring unparalleled quality
- 100% microfiber cover is removable and completely machine washable, making it easy to keep clean
- Available in 3 colors: chocolate, khaki and burgundy
- 48″ L X 30″ W X 7″ H
- 52″L x 36″W x 7″H
- 60″L x 48″W x 7″H
The Big Barker is a USA-made, premium memory foam mattress that receives amazing ratings and extremely high praise from dog owners. Big Barker is one of the few dog beds available in sizes large enough to accommodate really large dogs and giant breeds – it’s a bed made just for them!
The Big Barker is one of the more expensive memory foam beds available, so it isn’t ideal for budget-conscious shoppers, but extreme quality comes at a price. It is also important to factor in the 10-year guarantee, which means that the Big Barker actually provides a better value over time than most cheaper models do.
5. KOPECKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
- DIMENSIONS: 40L x 56W x 8.5 Thick 100% Memory Foam | SLEEPING SURFACE 33.5L x 43.5W x 7H Thick 100%...
- HYPO-ALLERGENIC PREMIUM MEMORY FOAM - NOT EGG CRATE FOAM OR OTHER ORTHORPEDIC NON MEMORY FOAMS -...
- SPECIAL LOVING: Great For Pets With Arthritis or Joint and Muscle Issues
- KOPEKS is a registered trademark and best-seller of Pet Accessories.
About: The KOPECKS Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed is one of the thickest and best-padded memory foam dog beds available.
Unlike many other memory foam dog beds, the KOPECKS bed is padded with 100% memory foam, rather than a mixture of high-density and memory foam.
- Includes raised edging to provide your pup with a spot to rest her head
- The removable outer cover is machine washable, as is the internal, water-proof shell for the memory foam
- Constructed from a solid memory foam sheet, rather than shredded pieces for premium performance
- Provides more cushion – 7 full inches — than most other models available, making it great for arthritic or otherwise in need of extra comfort
- Small: 24” x 29” x 5” (Note: The small size has a few differences from the extra-large size discussed here).
- Extra Large: 40″ X 56″ X 8.5″
- Extra Large w/ Pillow: 50” x 34” x 7” (+3”-tall pillow) see here
Most customers rave about the quality of the KOPECKS bed. It’s exceptional thickness and large footprint make it the obvious choice for puppy parents seeking the best quality available.
The only significant downside to the KOPECKS Memory Foam dog bed is its high price tag.
6. Stella All Seasons Pet Bed
- Gel-Infused Memory Foam Layer For Summer (Keeps Dogs Cool).
- Plush Crate Memory Foam Layer For Winter (Keeps Dogs Warm).
- Includes 1 Washable Bed Cover.
- Foam Is Lined with High-Performing Water Proof Cover.
About: The Stella All Seasons Pet Bed is one of the finest quality memory foam pet beds available, and it is designed to keep dogs cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
The Stella All Seasons Pet Bed comes in very large sizes, making it a wonderful option for owns of really big dogs.
- One side features gel-memory foam to keep your dog cool in the summer, while the other side features a faux sheep-skin top layer and egg-crate memory foam underneath to allow your dog to sink into the bed
- Quiet, waterproof cover to protect the memory foam inside from spills or accidents
- Full 1-year water and satisfaction guarantee removes most of the risk involved with the purchase
- Includes an extra cover, which makes it easy to clean one while the other is in use
- Medium: 34” x 22” x 5”
- Large: 48” x 30” 6”
- Extra Large: 52” x 34” x 7”
The Stella dog bed is the ideal choice for almost any dog whose owner is not scared off by the price. However, it is especially valuable for dogs that are sensitive to temperature changes.
A very few customers reported problems with the stitching around the zipper area, but such complaints are not common. The price is probably the biggest downside to this memory foam bed.
7. BarksBar Snuggle Sleeper
- Medium Orthopedic Sleeper: 32" x 22" x 10" - Ideal for Small to Medium size dogs and also great for...
- Inner Dimensions of bed space: 26" x 16" - Crafted with top-of-the-line workmanship and premium...
- Premium Materials include: (1) Ultra Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious quilted design, (2) 4" of...
- Sleek and Luxurious quilted design to improve any family's home decor. Comes with a built-in nonslip...
About: The BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper is an oval-shaped bed boasting 3.5″ of orthopedic foam and an overstuffed rim cushion, perfect for snuggling up in.
- Several sizes, can fit dogs up to 100 lbs
- Removable, machine-washable cover
- Wrap-around bolster for dogs that like to curl up
- Non-slip bottom to prevent sliding
- Medium: 32” x 22” x 10″
- Large: 40” x 30” x 10″
Owners love the thick orthopedic base, and this kind of quality bed is actually fairly reasonably priced.
Unfortunately, this bed doesn’t come in a size large enough for very large or giant breeds.
Any of the memory foam dog beds above should probably help your pup get a good night’s rest. Just be sure to consider your dog’s size, sleeping habits and any special needs she may have before deciding on a specific model.
Do you provide your dog with a memory foam bed? How does she like it? Has it helped improve any of her health concerns? Tell us all about it in the comments below.