Looking for a stylish way to keep your canine comfy?
Dog crate furniture gives your dog a private space to relax that can also double as a piece of home decor!
Read on as we detail the advantages of dog furniture crates, what to consider before grabbing one, and which dogs are best suited towards these types of kennels.
Best Dog Furniture Crates: Quick Picks
No time to read? These are our top picks for the best dog furniture crates!
- Intenet’s Best Decorative Dog Kennel [Most Elegant Design]! This end-table dog crate features modern white paint with a mix of wood and wire construction.
- Merry 2-in-1 Pet Crate and Gate [Best Multi-Functional Crate]. The Merry 2-in-1 Pet Crate and Gate can be a pet furniture crate and end table, it can also be taken apart and used as a dog gate!
- Casual Home Dog Crate Nightstand Table [Most Durable]. This versatile wooden dog table crate is made with 100% wood and stainless steel which makes it sturdy, and durable.
Why Do Owners Choose Dog Furniture Crates?
- Unique Style. You don’t see many dog furniture crates in the majority of homes (although who knows why? They’re awesome!), making them a unique element. Owners who enjoy an eclectic sense of style may like separating themselves from the pack with a dog crate that is truly different!
- More Attractive Than Plastic Crates. Many owners end up opting for modern dog crate furniture because they get so sick of looking at their dog’s ugly plastic or wire crate every day. Dog crate end tables and crate table tops are designed to look like real pieces of furniture, making them much easier on the eyes.
- Fashionable & Functional Double Use. Dog furniture doesn’t just look great – many are functional too! It’s always nice to kill two birds with one stone, and dog table beds do just that. They provide a space for your dog to snooze, as well as an end table to place a lamp, magazine, or other household items.
- Saves On Space. Furniture-style crates are an especially smart choice for apartment living or close quarters. Dogs beds take up valuable floor space, so if things are already tight, a table crate can free up more room to move around in your home.
- Your Dog Can Be Part Of The Action. Due to the unattractive design of traditional plastic and wire dog crates, our four-legged pals often end up stuck in the corner or in a laundry room. This is no fun for our pets, who want to be where we are! End table dog crate furniture can be placed seamlessly into a living room or other area of home happenings, allowing dogs to comfortable hang out with their favorite humans!
Things to Consider When Shopping For Dog Crate Furniture
Since one of the main goals with a furniture crate is to have it fit comfortably in your home, the last thing you want is a strangely protruding side or edge.
- Your Dog’s Full Size. Since dog crate furniture is often on the pricier side, you’ll want to pick out a crate that will last through your dog’s growth spurts! If you’re shopping for a puppy, make sure to consider your pup’s estimated adult size.
Of course, you’ll always want to make sure that the crate is properly sized for your pooch – your dog should have plenty of room to lie down and turn around.
- They Aren’t Great For Travel. These crates aren’t designed for portability – they’re designed to sit in a home permanently. Since dog end table beds are often made of wood, they can be quite heavy! If you’re looking for a portable crate that can easily be moved between homes or taken camping, these won’t be your best bet.
- Provide Ventilation. All the canine crate end tables we cover have plenty of ventilation, but if you end up going the DIY route, it’s worth mentioning that you can’t just hollow out a hole into an existing end table and call it a day. Your dog still needs slats for ventilation. Plus, your pup wants to be able to look around and see his surroundings – not be stuck in a black box!
Which Kind of Dogs Are Best Suited For Furniture Beds?
- Small Dogs Are The Only Option. In most cases, dog furniture beds will only work for petite canines. Large dogs just can’t fit comfortably in an end table structure! Unfortunately, this is generally true for many pieces of fashionable pooch-oriented furniture (the same goes for dog sofa beds as well – the coolest looking couches are often only suitable for smaller dogs).
- Great For Dogs That Like Feeing Enclosed. Some dogs love the security of being surrounded by walls – remember, dogs are decedents of cave-dwelling wolves, so some canines can’t get enough of cave-like beds.
If your dog loves hanging out in his crate and has enjoyed bolster dog beds or hooded dog beds in the past, he may be particularly inclined to warm up to an enclosed wooden furniture crate!
- Not Good For Chewers. The vast majority of dog furniture crates are made of wood – which means they are quite chewable! If your dog is a chomper, considering shopping for a tougher dog crate or a chew proof dog bed. Even dogs who just tend to scratch might make these initially attractive dog crates look beat up and worn quite quickly (at least on the inside).
- Good For Gentle Canines. Most of these wood crate end tables are relatively sturdy, but simply not tough enough to keep an escape artist enclosed. If your dog hates being crated and is desperate to get out, he’ll probably manage it in one of these crates! These are best designed for easy-going, calm dogs that are happy and content in their crate.
Best Dog Furniture Crates: Our Top Picks
1. EcoFlex Dog Crate End Table
EcoFlex Dog Crate End Table
Easy to assemble
This elegant and durable dog end table crate is made with recycled polymers and wood fibers. It has a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
About: The EcoFlex Dog Crate End Table from New Age Pet is a thick, durable end table crate that can fit in with a variety of home decors.
Features: This designer dog crate is made with a blend of blend of recycled polymers and wood fibers, designed to prevent wrapping or cracking. The spindle bars are made of quality stainless steel, providing ventilation and a view for your pooch.
It’s available in 3 colors: russet, espresso, and antique white (notably one of the few crates available in a white color).
Another nice feature is that this end table crate includes a single latch for small and medium-sized crates, and two latches for large and extra-large sized crates. While a determined dog can probably still escape, the double latch may provide a bit more security for larger canines.
This crate is available in 4 sizes, from small (22″ H x 18.1″ W x 23.8″ L) to extra-large (30.9″ H x 27.6″ W x 42.5″ L).
This is one of the few dog furniture end tables that are big enough to house a larger sized dog – owners note that the extra-large size can comfortably fit a 60 lb dog without issue.
As a bonus, this crate also includes a 10-year manufacturer warranty – owners have been able to get replacement doors or pieces when a dog breaks out, although they’ll still be responsible for re-assembling any busted pieces.
Owners note that this dog end table crate was very easy to assemble and surprisingly light!
Some owners felt misled by the color of this crate, as the espresso color is quite dark. Some owners also report even small dogs managing to easily break out of the crate. This dog kennel definitely is not chew proof – a few dogs managed to make quick work of the door, chewing it apart.
Owners also note that the top section is made of pressboard, which means it could begin to show wear quite quickly. You’ll definitely want to make sure to use coasters or a mat to keep in good condition.
While this crate is sized suitably as an end table, it’s not a normal crate size, which makes it more difficult to find a good dog bed to fit inside of it.
2. Internet’s Best Decorative Dog Kennel
About: The Internet’s Best Wooden & Wire Dog Kennel is a sturdy, attractive wood dog crate that resembles a traditional piece of living room furniture.
This crate is specifically designed for small dogs, with internal dimensions of 20.5″ wide x 30″ deep x 22″ high.
This wood crate end table also features satin nickel hardware that allows for securely locking the kennel door. It boasts two entry and exit points (double side door & end door) for easy accessibility.
This white wooden indoor dog house is equipped with a wide table top to hold lamps, coasters, etc. The crate also comes with a dog bed pad included that fits perfectly inside!
Owners are very happy with the quality and appearance, reporting that it looks very high-end and earns many compliments from visitors!
Again, this crate may not stand up to dogs determined to break out or for dogs that are liable to chew!
3. Casual Home Dog Crate Nightstand Table
Casual Home Dog Crate Nightstand Table
Durable wooden nightstand
This versatile wooden dog table crate is made with 100% wood and stainless steel hardware for long-lasting construction
About: The Casual Home Dog Crate Nightstand Table is another quality piece of wooden dog crate furniture for your home.
Features: This dog crate nightstand is constructed from 100% wood and stainless steel – not artificial veneer.
It’s sturdy, durable, and is available with either a black or espresso color.
While some of the other dog crate end tables listed here have been reported to show up on the doorstep with unexpected colors, this crate’s online listing seems true to its color.
This wooden dog table crate is available in two sizes – small (24.25″ H x 20″ W x 27.5″ L) and large (29.25″ H x 24″ W x 36.5″ L). Most agree that the large size is suitable for housing a 50 – 60lb dog, but no bigger.
Considerably more affordable than some of the other furniture crates examined. Owners like the quality and say that it resembles a traditional piece of furniture, fitting great with many home decors.
Assembling the door requires installing some springs that some owners found a bit tricky – make sure not to loose them!
4. Merry 2-in-1 Pet Crate And Gate
Merry 2-in-1 Pet Crate And Gate
Doubles as a dog gate
This piece of pet furniture functions as crate, an end table, and it can be taken apart and used as a dog gate
About: The Merry 2-in-1 Pet Crate and Gate is different from other offerings listed here – in addition to serving as a pet furniture crate and end table, it can also be taken apart and used as a dog gate!
Features: This crate is made of wood veneer and metal rungs – most owners seem to have no issue with the quality, despite not being 100% wood.
It’s available in two sizes – medium (32.5″ L x 23.5″ W x 22.5″ H) and large (40″ L x 28″ W x 31.5″ H).
The double use as a dog crate or gate means twice as much functionality, since it can also be used to close off sections of your home you might not want your pooch to access.
In addition, this crate has a removable bottom plastic tray to help protect your flooring. This tray isn’t attached to the crate in any way – it simply sits beneath it and is there in case of an accident.
Owners report that this crate is very easy to assemble – it’s just a matter of dropping in a few pins. Owners also love the look and design of the crate.
One owner notes that they wish the latch was positioned in the middle of the door, rather than at the top, since having it so high up compromises the security of the bottom. Metal bars can also be easily bent out of place by a determined dog.
5. Soft-Sided Dog Crate Ottoman
Soft-Sided Dog Crate Ottoman
Uniquely designed soft-sided pet ottoman
Small, collapsable pet ottoman made from vinyl and designed to fit nearly anywhere
About: This Dog Bed Ottoman is a soft-sided ottoman-style enclosure for your pet to lounge in!
Features: This design is quite different from others – there is no door to keep your dog inside, so it will likely only be suitable for well-behaved adult dogs who just need a space to hang out in.
This Dog Bed Ottoman is made of vinyl and comes in black. It’s also fairly small (15″H x 15″W x 15″D ) and only comes in that one size.
While it doesn’t provide much of the security or elegant style of other other dog furniture crates listed here, this option is much less expensive – so it may be suitable for those on a budget..
Another big benefit is that this soft-sided crate can be easily collapsed and stored away.
Very cheap and doesn’t get much easier when it comes to assembly – it simply unfolds!
Small, mostly used for cats and miniature dogs. No door and thus, no security. Owners also note that the quality is not great.
Taking the DIY Route: Make Your Own Dog Crate End Table
Didn’t find anything appealing? Want to make your own dog crate furniture DIY style? It is possible, but we can’t promise that it will be easy!
For learning how to build a custom furniture crate, we suggest checking out this guide over an Instructables, where you can see how to construct a crate made with wood and wire horse fencing!
Does your dog use a furniture crate? How do they like it? Share your experience in the comments!