Even though beds are meant to be for resting, dog beds end up being a common chew toy for our rougher pets.
The issue is that some dogs are quite strong, and in many cases the fabric material that dog beds are made with is easy for dogs to tear apart. Chew proof dog beds are a commonly sought-out item, as many owners search for an indestructable bed that their dogs cannot destroy.
What is a chew proof dog bed? Chew proof dog beds are made with reinforced material that is not easily destroyed by a dog’s teeth or paws. Owners with strong, rough dogs or even puppies who are in the stage of biting and chewing everything should consider getting a chew proof dog bed for their chomping canine.
Quick Picks: Chew Proof Dog Beds
- #1 Pick — K9 Ballistics Elevated Dog Bed. Featuring an aluminum frame, ballistic ripstop fabric, and a 180-day warranty, this indestructible dog bed offers everything you could want and more.
- #2 Pick — K&H Original Pet Cot. This elevated pet bed is made from durable materials and features a design that makes it difficult for dogs to chew on the fabric.
- #3 Pick — K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed. While not ideal for aggressive chewers, this is the perfect bed for dogs with mildly destructive tendencies.
Why Do Dogs Chew Their Beds?
Dogs can chew their dog beds for a number of reasons, including:
- Puppies. Puppies who are teething can often go through a phase where they tear apart their dog beds.
- Aggressive or rough dogs. Dogs that are more on the aggressive or rough side might simply have a stronger bite than other dogs.
- Nervous dogs. Nervousness or separation anxiety can be another source of destructive chewing behavior. While a chew resistant dog bed can stop a nervous dog from destroying items, it’s still important that the owner address the underlying root cause of the nervous chewing.
- Boredom. Some dogs will chew because they are bored, and their beds end up being the closest thing around. Try walking your dog more often and providing them with treat dispensing toys which can be used to challenge them mentally and prevent boredom.
Key Features of Chew Proof Dog Beds
There are some key features required in a chew proof bed that owners should consider.
- Reinforced material. Chew proof dog beds need extra reinforcement. They should be much sturdier than traditional dog beds, and made with stronger material.
- Increased weight limit. A chew proof dog bed should have an increased weight limit that can hold a larger dog. Having plenty of room to lay will help the dog feel more safe and secure, rather than attempting to chew at the small bed beneath him.
- Abrasion-resistant material. A dog bed is only chew-proof if the material is abrasion-resistant. No matter how hard the dog tries, they should not be able to leave a hole in the material like they easily can in other beds. Cordura, canvas, and PVC are some possible options for bite proof beds. Canvas is one of the more popular options for indestructible dog beds. It is extremely durable and tear resistant, so it shouldn’t break when a dog tries to chew it.
- Sit off the ground. Beds that are off the ground are often more difficult for dogs to chew through. They seem like a bed to lay on, rather than a toy to tear apart. This also offers orthopedic support for dogs, which is an added bonus.
There are several brands of dog beds that offer chew-proof material that is made to last. We have a few top picks we are happy to recommend!
Check out our quick guide below, or scroll further for more detailed tough dog bed reviews!
Best Indestructible Dog Beds for Heavy Chewers
1. K9 Ballistics Elevated Dog Bed
About: The K9 Ballistics Elevated Dog Bed is a well-built dog bed, made out of quality materials that should resist the teeth of most dogs. As a bonus, the elevated design helps keep dogs cool in warm weather and provides air circulation.
No products found.
- Aluminum frame. The K9 Ballistics Elevated Dog Bed features an all aluminum frame that should be able to withstand the teeth of most dogs – even power chewers! The sturdy bed frame will also help ensure the bed remains in good working condition for a long time.
- Orthopedic benefits. Like most other elevated beds, this K9 Ballistics Bed will help support your dog’s hips, knees, and elbows.
- Easy to clean. To clean the K9 Ballistics Bed, you can simply wipe down the frame and ballistic fabric with a damp cloth.
- 180-day chew-proof warranty. If your dog does manage to chew up the fabric portion of the bed within the first 180 days, the manufacturer will replace it free of charge.
The K9 Ballistics Bed received some of the best user reviews of any indestructible dog bed on the market. The majority of owners found it durable and well-built, and dogs seemed to find it comfortable.
While most owners were pleased with the K9 Ballistics Bed, it is not truly indestructible, and a very small number of dogs were able to damage it with their teeth.
2. Dogbed4less Memory Foam Dog Bed
About: The Dogbed4less Memory Foam Dog Bed is a comfortable and supportive pet bed that comes with multiple removable covers, including one made from strong canvas.
- WATERPROOF LINER + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - This bed comes with x1 Water proof internal zipper cover to...
- DURABLE WASHABLE COVER - Removable 100% cotton canvas cover with strong zipper in gusset style and...
- MEMORY FOAM ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - Top rated quality XXL 55x37x4 inches hypoallergenic 3.2 lbs high...
- COOLING LUXURIOUS COMFORT - Better than average human grade mattress with conforming therapeutic...
- Double-layer protection. This heavy-duty orthopedic dog bed offers double layer protection, with the two zippered layers making it difficult for dogs to bite through. These layers can be cleaned easily, and also replaced if necessary.
- Waterproof liner. This bed comes with a waterproof liner to help protect the foam from spills or accidents.
- Available in seven sizes. The Dogbed4less Memory Foam Bed is available in a variety of sizes, ranging from 35″ x 20″ to 55″ x 47″(!), which should be large enough for most big pups.
- Quality memory foam. In addition to providing a tough, chew-proof fabric, this dog bed also prides itself on high-density solid memory foam. This adds extra comfort and makes it a great dog bed for an older dog or a large dog with joint issues.
The Dogbed4less Memory Foam Bed received very positive reviews from most owners who tried it — especially those with older or mobility-impaired dogs. Also, despite not looking like a very chew-resistant bed, most owners reported that it held up very well to the abuse their dog unleashed on it.
Most of the complaints about this bed related to minor issues, such as dog hair clinging to the outer covering. However, a few owners also complained that the water-resistant and waterproof liner didn’t adequately protect the memory foam core from puppy accidents.
3. K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed
About: The K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed is a plush pet bed that is filled with shredded memory foam and features a bed cover designed to hold up to the teeth of light to moderate destructive chewers.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE DOG BED: For diggers, scratchers, and nesting dogs. (for heavy persistent...
- DURABLE RIPSTOP BALLISTIC COVER: Scratch resistant, waterproof, and dig proof cover. Comfy design...
- MADE IN USA: American made non-toxic, shredded CertiPUR-US foam mattress made in our own facilities...
- CHEW PROOF PROMISE: If your dog damages their tough dog bed within 120 days after receiving it, we...
- Available in four sizes. You can get the K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed with any of four diameters, ranging from 24″ to 54″.
- Machine washable removable cover. When this bed gets damp or dirty, you can simply remove the cover and toss it in your washing machine.
- Made in the USA. Unlike some other dog beds that are made with questionable materials and poor craftsmanship, the K9 Ballistics Round Bed is made in the manufacturer’s California-based factory.
- Backed by a 120-day warranty. If your dog manages to rip the cover on a K9 Ballistics Round Dog Bed within 120 days, the manufacturer will send you a free replacement.
Most owners spoke highly of the K9 Ballistics Round Bed, and dogs really seemed to love it! Most owners reported that it provided plenty of cushion, and it seems tough enough to hold up to light or moderate chewers, as well as “nesters” who scratch at their bed.
Most of the complaints about this bed seemed to involve dogs who were aggressive chewers. These beds are durable, but there are better choices for truly destructive chewers.
4. K&H Original Pet Cot
About: The K&H Original Pet Cot is a durable indestructible pet bed that features an elevated design.
This not only means it’ll help support your pup’s joints and keep him cool, it will also be difficult for him to get his teeth on the fabric.
- ELEVATED DOG COT: Raised dog bed helps pets stay cool in warm spring and summer months
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Elevated pet bed with its breathable mesh center, is great for travel,...
- STRONG & STURDY: Dog cot holds up to 200 pounds, durable and tested for strength
- EASY CLEAN-UP: Removable cover is machine washable and can even be hosed off outdoors
- Generous weight capacity. Unlike some other cot style beds that aren’t terribly strong, the K&H Original Pet Cot will support up to 150 pounds.
- Slip-resistant rubber feet. Four rubber feet are included with your purchase to help prevent the bed from sliding around or scratching your floors.
- Easy to assemble. This bed is easy to assemble and disassemble without the use of any tools (this also means it’s great for traveling).
- Mesh center. The 600-denier mesh fabric center allows air to easily flow through. This helps keep pets cool, particularly in the warmer months. It can be used indoors or outdoors.
Most owners seemed very pleased with the K&H Original Pet Cot, explaining that it was easy to assemble, durable, and well-built. Dogs seemed to enjoy it too, and many began sleeping on it immediately. Also, because of the design, it should be very hard for strong dogs to get their teeth on the fabric sleeping surface.
A few owners complained that their dog’s toenails ripped the fabric. So, it is probably wise to be sure your pup’s nails are trimmed before letting them use the bed.
5. BullyBeds Durable Orthopedic Dog Bed
About: The BullyBeds Durable Orthopedic Dog Bed is a supportive dog bed packed with medical-grade orthopedic foam – just the thing for older dogs with ailing joints.
With 7″ of memory foam and orthopedic support foam, this bed had more foam than most other, serving as a contender against the popular Big Barker dog bed.
Despite being a foam-based bed, BullyBed claims to have a tough enough outer layer to combat tough chewers.
- The Affordable Luxury Dog Bed that Provides Therapeutic Comfort For Large Dogs: Each Bully Bed, an...
- Dog Beds That Won't Go Flat: Every Bully Bed comes with an orthopedic foam that will not flatten by...
- Waterproof Dog Beds For Large Dogs: Each Bully Bed comes with a removable, washable microfiber...
- Durable & Long Lasting Pet Mattress: Give your furry friend a safe bed that lasts a lifetime. The...
- Orthopedic memory foam. Combines 2.5″ of 4.5 lb memory foam with 4.5″ of 2 lb support foam at the base for a comfortable and supportive design to help soothe arthritic joints and hips.
- Durable, removable outer cover. Ultra-soft and durable outer cover can easily be removed and is machine washable for easy cleaning.
- Inner waterproof layer. Also includes a 2nd internal cover that is 100% water resistant as well as waterproof.
- Available in several sizes. Comes in medium, large, extra-large, and XXL.
- 20-year warranty included. Comes with a twenty-year, no-flat warranty, which means that if this tough dog bed flattens in the next twenty years, you’ll get a free replacement.
Owners adore this nearly indestructible dog bed and are very impressed with the quality. Many note that with 7″ of memory and support foam, it’s comfier than their own bed! Fans also note that this bed is more affordable than a Big Barker (although still quite expensive)
At least one owner complained that the bed inflated unevenly when initially opened, resulting in a comfy and dense front portion, but a sagging back portion. The owner did not report what their experience with the customer service team was like, or if they were contacted.
There’s No Such Thing As a Real Indestructible Dog Bed
Many manufacturers will boast that their dog beds are indestructible and chew-proof. But in reality, there is no such thing as a 100% indestructible dog bed.
With enough focused time and effort, most dogs are capable of destroying virtually any bed. After all, most beds are made of soft fabric and materials that are comfortable to lie on.
You might be able to find a truly indestructible dog bed made of pure metal or wood, but how comfortable would that be?
The only way to really ensure that your dog does not destroy his bed is to monitor him, redirect his bed chewing, and make the bed unavailable when you aren’t around to redirect him.
How to Redirect Your Dog’s Chewing
Keep in mind that chewing is a natural behavior.
Your goal should not be to prevent your dog from chewing at all, but instead should be geared towards teaching your dog what objects are appropriate for chewing and which are not.
Here are some simple steps for how to redirect a dog’s chewing:
- Don’t reprimand. While some dogs may respond to a firm “no”, other dogs will simply be invigorated by your attention. After all, if they are bored and now suddenly you are showering them with attention (even negative attention), then they’ve won!
- Redirect to a toy or chew. Ignore your dog’s bed biting and instead take out a tasty chew or a fun toy and encourage your dog to come over to you and do a swap.
- When your dog grabs the toy or chew, offer lots of praise and treats! Reward your dog for making the right choice by lavishing praise, cuddles, and goodies.
- Continue to reward your dog for choosing toys and chews over his bed. It’s important that you continue to monitor your dog and reward him whenever you see him engage with his chew or toy. If you won’t be home or will be too busy to keep an eye on him, then simply remove the bed from your dog’s area until your attention is available. This way, he will not reinforce the unwanted bed biting habit.
While your dog might continue to chew at his bed because of instilling a bad habit, with enough redirection and positive reinforcement, he should eventually learn that his chews and toys are for chomping – not his bed!
If you purchase a pricey bed and want to see it last more than 48 hours while you work on redirecting your dog’s chewing behavior, you can always crate train your dog and have them in the crate when you are away or unavailable to redirect their chewing. Another option – as mentioned above – is simply to remove the bed when you are out of the house.
What About Anti-Chew Sprays?
Some owners may consider experimenting with anti-chew sprays to keep their dogs’ teeth off of the bed.
While some heavy chewers may be deterred by anti chew spray, plenty of others seem totally unfazed by the bitter sprays. Some dogs even like the taste!
On top of that, making your dog’s bed a sticky spot your dog avoids kind of contradicts the purpose of buying your pup a bed, doesn’t it?
And of course, biting isn’t the only way that a destructive dog can destroy a bed. Digging is always an option too, and chew spray won’t help in that regard.
Does Your Dog Need More Stimulation?
While opting for a more durable dog bed is always a good idea, it’s also smart to consider why your excessive chewer is chomping so much.
Many dogs resort to chewing their bed when they’re bored. Ask yourself this:
- Does my dog get enough daily outdoor exercise, like walks or games of fetch?
- Is my dog being mentally stimulated and challenged? Dogs need more than just physical exercise. Consider incorporating puzzle toys, interactive dog toys, and frozen toys to keep your dog occupied.
- Have I provided my dog with long-lasting dog chews so that he has a safe and healthy way to release his natural chewing behavior?
- How much time do I spend training with my dog? Some dogs – especially those smarty pants pups – will really benefit a lot from engaging in dog games and sports like nosework, agility, flyball, skijoring, etc. Consider joining a local dog sports chapter to stimulate your pup and build your bond!
Do you have any top picks for chew proof dog beds you want to recommend? Share your experience in the comments!
Looking for more chewproof gear? Make sure to check out our articles on: