Whether you’re the proud parent of a sprightly miniature, a regal standard, or a purse-perfect toy poodle, you’ll know that these curly-coated cuties deserve nothing but the best – especially when it comes to his dinner bowl.
Dive in with us as we explore the crème de la crème of poodle foods, ensuring your fluffy companion stays as fabulous and healthy as she rightfully should be. Bon appétit, pooch-style!
Check out our best dog food for poodles picks and learn how to select the right food for your floofy friend.
Standard, Miniature, or Toy: Poodle Sizes!
There are three different types of poodles, according to the AKC: standard, miniature, and toy.
The main difference between these three types is size.
Standard poodles are the largest of the three and stand over 15 inches tall at the shoulder. Miniature poodles are smaller than standard poodles and stand between 11 and 15 inches tall at the shoulder. Toy poodles are the smallest of the three and stand no more than 10 inches tall at the shoulder.
While there are some slight differences in temperament and appearance between these three types, they all share many of the same characteristics such as intelligence, loyalty, and playfulness.
How to Choose a Food for Poodle: Health Considerations
When shopping for the best food for any breed it is important to familiarize yourself with some of the common health concerns of the breed. Unfortunately, poodles may suffer from some of the following:
- Progressive retinal atrophy: This is a group of degenerative diseases that affect photoreceptor cells in the retina, leading to blindness in the affected dog.
- Addison’s disease: Underproductive adrenal glands bring about Addison’s disease, causing lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and weight loss.
- Mitral valve disease: This is a heart condition where the mitral valve doesn’t close properly.
- Epilepsy: This neurological disorder causes seizures that can be deadly if severe or left untreated.
However, none of these health problems are largely affected by your choice of food.
So, while it is wise to be on the lookout for symptoms of these diseases, you don’t really need to factor them into your dog-food-buying algebra.
On the flip side, there are a few conditions poodles often experience which do relate – at least, in part – to their diet. Here are a few features to look for in foods that can help with various poodle health problems:
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: Poodles are prone to a condition called hip dysplasia, where there is abnormal development of the hip joint, leading to arthritis and pain. While your poodle’s food won’t cause or cure hip dysplasia, it is wise to select a food that’s rich in joint-supporting supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Probiotics: Poodles can have sensitive stomachs, which can be downright disastrous when paired with the breed’s beautiful coat. Luckily, probiotics can keep your dog’s digestive system running at peak performance, potentially forming firmer, mess-free poops.
- Limited Ingredient List: Poodles can struggle with food allergies and food intolerances. In either case, you’ll want to talk to your vet about treatment options, including, potentially, switching to a limited ingredient diet (LID) free of common triggers like corn, soy, and wheat.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Poodles have a lot of coat to maintain through frequent grooming, plus skin that may get dry or itchy if your pup’s suffering from any allergies the breed occasionally exhibits. Bolster your barker’s skin and coat with omega-3s. These fatty acids derived from fish oil or flaxseed nourish from within.
The 13 Best Dog Food for Poodles: Our Favs for Floofy Four-Footers
Now that you know some of the things to look for when searching for the perfect poodle food, it’s time to check out some of the best options on the market. We’ve rounded up great foods for every kind of poodle imaginable – check ‘em out!
1. Ollie [Best Overall Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents seeking a fresh, customizable food – and not afraid to pay for it – will love this premium option.
About: Ollie offers freshly prepared meals for your four-legged companion. Crafted in the USA, they use high-quality ingredients from around the world, all prepared in USDA-approved kitchens. Conveniently, these meals are delivered frozen directly to your home, accompanied by a designated “leftovers” container for easy storage.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Oats, Chickpeas, Pea Flour, & Chicken Livers
- Quality Ingredients: The food consists of fresh meat, whole grains, nutritious fruits, and vegetables, ensuring it’s of a standard safe for human consumption.
- Protein-Centric Approach: With real meat always taking the lead, complemented by essential organs, Ollie’s recipes boast a protein content between 35% and 44%.
- Custom-Crafted Recipes: Unlike kibbles and canned options, Ollie’s foods are customized for your specific pooch.
- Community Commitment: Ollie generously contributes 1% of their proceeds to rescue organizations and shelters.
- Nothing Unnecessary Included: You won’t find artificial flavors, preservatives, or by-products in Ollie’s recipes.
Chicken, oats, chickpeas, pea flour, chicken livers, whole dried eggs...,
carrots, sweet potatoes, tricalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, apples, salt, spinach, calcium carbonate, fish oil, sunflower oil, rosemary extract, choline bitartrate, vitamin e supplement, zinc gluconate, potassium iodide, ferrous bisglycinate chelate, copper amino acid chelate, beta carotene (vitamin a), riboflavin (vitamin b2), niacin, cholecalciferol (vitamin d3), cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), calcium pantothenate (vitamin b5), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin b1), potassium citrate, folic acid
- Hard to beat the quality of Ollie’s human-grade ingredients
- Even the pickiest of pups love Ollie’s meaty taste
- Customizable to your poodle’s unique dietary needs
- Softer texture ideal for poodles with dental woes
- Requires room in your refrigerator
- Hefty price tag compared to standard kibble offerings
2. Wellness Complete Health [Best Dry Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Poodle parents after a high-quality, grain-inclusive kibble with extras like omega-3s will love these crunchy clusters
About: Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food provides top-tier nutrition for your poodle, as the recipe contains premium proteins (deboned chicken and chicken meal), as well as nutritious vegetables for added vitamins and fiber. It’s also designed to boost immunity with antioxidants, protect your pupper’s joints, and ensure a lustrous skin and coat courtesy of omega-3 fatty acids.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, & Ground Brown Rice
- Joint-Care Formula: Infused with glucosamine, chondroitin, and essential fatty acids, this blend is geared toward aiding mobility, ideal for active furballs that need some extra joint care.
- Digestive Health Support: With a combination of probiotics, Wellness Complete assists in fostering optimal gut health, especially beneficial for canines with digestive concerns.
- Quality Assurance: Crafted in the USA, Wellness combines globally sourced ingredients that adhere to rigorous quality checks.
- All-Natural Approach: Committed to natural goodness, Wellness sources its ingredients from genuine plant, animal, and mineral origins, bypassing any artificial additives or colors.
- Safety Prioritized: Maintaining an impressive AA grade for food safety, Wellness ensures all their ingredients and final products undergo stringent testing.
Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice...,
Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oats, Tomato Pomace, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract
- Loaded with awesome extras, like probiotics and glucosamine
- Meat-forward recipe offers plenty of protein for lean muscle development
- Rich in omega-3s to support your poodle’s skin and coat
- A few dogs needed enticing to give the food a try
- A bit more expensive than some kibble
3. Merrick Kitchen Comforts [Best Canned Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of picky poodles or dentally-challenged canines will love this savory stew of meat, produce, and grain
About: Merrick Kitchen Comforts offers a grain-rich canned dog meal with deboned meat leading the ingredient list, ensuring your furry friend has the zest for any adventure. Perfect for poodles (but suitable for all breeds), this hearty stew-style wet food boasts succulent meaty chunks and veggies, submerged in a savory broth that encourages hydration and appeals to the palate. It’s versatile too – serve it solo or pour it over kibble to entice even the fussiest eaters.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Beef, Beef Broth, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, & Brown Rice
- All-Natural Ingredients: Merrick Kitchen Comforts steers clear of artificial additives, ensuring no synthetic flavors, colors, or preservatives make the cut.
- Plenty of Produce: Incorporating wholesome vegetables such as carrots, green beans, and sweet potatoes, the food not only adds to the taste but also provides essential vitamins and dietary fiber.
- Human-Inspired Recipes: Drawing inspiration from popular human meals like casseroles, Kitchen Comforts promises a tantalizing texture and taste for your pet.
- Commitment to Quality: Merrick guarantees safety with their production facilities being Safe Quality Food (SQF) Level 3 certified.
- Homegrown Quality: Proudly crafted in Hereford, Texas, this USA-made dog food combines ingredients procured both locally and from trusted international sources.
Deboned Beef, Beef Broth, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, Brown Rice...,
Beef Liver, Dried Egg Product, Spinach, Potato Protein, Potatoes, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Cumin, Cinnamon, Gum Ghatti, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Magnesium Sulfate, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Sodium Selenite)
- Most doggo diners are fans of the flavor
- One of the rare grain-inclusive canned dog foods available
- Rich in produce – another rarity in canned dog food
- Unfortunately, feeding wet dog food is pricier than kibble
- Messy to serve and clean up after
- Hard to store uneaten leftovers
4. Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice [Most Affordable Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Poodle pawrents on a budget will be tickled pink with this high-quality-yet affordable dog food.
About: Being on a tight budget doesn’t imply that you have to compromise on your poodle’s nutrition, as there are top-notch yet affordable dog foods available. Diamond Naturals Dry Dog Food is a testament to this. It offers quality proteins, wholesome grains, and veggies, and it even includes supplements for joint health — delivering incredible value that rivals many pricier brands.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, & Chicken Fat
- Protein Galore: With whole chicken and chicken meal, it’s a protein-packed feast ensuring robust muscles and joyful playtimes for your furry buddy.
- Antioxidants for Days: Loaded with antioxidants, this food ensures your poodle’s immune system remains in tip-top shape, so he’s always feeling his best.
- Crafted with Pride in the USA: Each bag reflects the dedication of a family-run business right here in the states, pouring love into every single bite.
- Skin & Coat Health: Thanks to the omega-3 content of this food, you can expect your dog to flaunt a lustrous coat and healthy skin.
- All Natural: Diamond Naturals is committed to natural ingredients, skipping any artificial colors or flavors.
- Digestive Boost: Enhanced with probiotics, it promotes a smooth digestion process (and eases the food-transition process).
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley...,
chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), grain sorghum, dried yeast, dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
- Price is more than reasonable for such a protein-packed, quality kibble
- Loaded with awesome extas, like probiotics, omega-3s, and glucosamine
- Contains a mix of produce for natural sources of fiber and antioxidants
- Often runs out of stock, thanks to its popularity
- Pickier pups often aren’t a fan of the flavor
5. Blue Buffalo Puppy [Best Dog Food for Poodle Puppies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Parents of poodle puppies needing nutrition geared toward healthy growth will love this kibble
About: Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Formula offers a grain-inclusive blend specially crafted for puppies on the grow. With a careful mix of lean proteins and nutritious carbs, it aims to set your fur baby on a path to lifelong health. What’s more, it’s enriched with DHA and ARA fatty acids to support brain and eye wellness. And don’t forget Blue’s signature LifeSource Bits, which give that extra antioxidant push for immune vitality.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Fish Meal, Dried Chicken, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Protein at the Forefront: Always starting with meat, it fuels your pup with the essential proteins to help those muscles flourish.
- Gentle on Tiny Tummies: Infused with probiotics, this formula aids in smooth digestion for your poodle.
- Made Without Problematic Ingredients: Steers clear of potential irritants like corn, soy, wheat, and poultry by-product meals that may upset the sensitive poodle systems.
- Plenty of Produce: Packed with wholesome goodies like carrots, blueberries, and cranberries, it provides vitamins, fiber, and a burst of natural flavor.
- Proudly Produced in the USA: Blue Buffalo crafts this dog food in the USA, though ingredients are globally sourced from trusted suppliers.
Deboned Salmon, Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicken, Oatmeal, Barley...,
- Designed to meet the unique needs of growing puppies
- Added DHA and ARA support brain and eye development
- Rich in antioxidants to bolster your puppy’s immune system
- Some dogs just don’t like Blue’s LifeSource Bits
- Pricing is on the higher side
6. Nutro Lamb & Brown Rice Senior [Best Dog Food for Senior Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Senior poodles who need a little extra joint or immune support (as well as a delicious taste!)
About: Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Brown Rice Senior brings a grain-friendly option for our older furry pals. It incorporates wholesome grains, including rice and barley, ensuring your pup stays energetic and full. Leading with real deboned lamb, followed by a helping of chicken meal, it also offers a natural dose of glucosamine and chondroitin — great for those older joints.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Rice Bran, Split Peas, & Brewers Rice
- Packed with Beneficial Fats: With fish oil and chia seeds, this mix serves up omega-3 fatty acids for that glossy coat and skin.
- Includes Lots of Produce: Ingredients like dried pumpkin, kale, and spinach bring natural fiber, vitamins, and minerals for comprehensive well-being.
- Boosts Immune Function: Thanks to this recipe’s antioxidant content, your older dog’s immune system gets a little help, which becomes crucial in his golden years.
- Specifically Formulated for Older Dogs: This food is perfectly suited for senior dogs, who are 7 years of age or older.
- Crafted in the USA: Nutro dog foods are made in the USA using only the highest-quality globally sourced ingredients.
Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate)...,
Rice Bran, Split Peas, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, DL-Methionine, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Joint-supportive ingredients help keep your senior poodle movin’ and groovin’
- Packed with antioxidants to help your senior’s immune system
- Belly-friendly recipe with heaps of fiber-rich produce and grains
- More protein options would be ideal
- Pickier pupperinos may need to be enticed into trying
7. A Pup Above [Best Dog Food for Picky Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Picky poodles will love the highly palatable texture and taste of this fresh, slow-cooked food option.
About: With a clear commitment to transparency, A Pup Above proudly crafts its dog food right in the USA, using ingredients that hail from home soil. Plus, you can track where your bag’s contents come from thanks to a unique lot-tracing number on every package. Every serving boasts a hearty mix of proteins, authentic veggies, and carbs, with both grain-free and grain-rich choices on the menu. As a final bonus, these recipes are slow-cooked sous-vide style, guaranteeing drool-worthy flavors.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Liver, Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Bone Broth, & Rice
- Crafted with Vet Insight: Every recipe is vet-approved, ensuring a balanced diet for your four-legged friend.
- Top-Tier Quality: Only the best for your pet – A Pup Above uses human-grade ingredients, with USDA-certified meats leading the charge.
- Bone Broth Benefits: The collagen-loaded bone broth doesn’t just add a tasty twist; it also hydrates and could be a boon for those bones and bellies.
- Diverse Meat Choices: From chicken to beef, pork, and turkey, your pup’s palate will never get bored. You can even grab a sampler pack to mix things up!
- Planet-First Approach: Walking the eco-friendly talk, A Pup Above donates 1% of its earnings to sustainable farming. Their 100% recyclable packaging and use of less-than-perfect produce showcases their dedication to a greener world.
Chicken, chicken liver, sweet potatoes, chicken bone broth, rice...,
apples, spinach, kale, turmeric, thyme, parsley, minerals [dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide. zine amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, potassium iodide,sodium selenite], vitamins [vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement]
- Human-grade ingredients thrill most pet parents
- Most dogs go gaga for the taste of this food
- Softer texture is perfect for poodles with dental issues
- Great mix of protein options to choose from
- Pricier than other dog food options
- Requires refrigeration, cutting into its convenience factor
8. Wellness CORE [Best Grain-Free Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of poodles with vet-diagnosed grain allergies will love this food’s alternative carb sources that won’t trigger problems.
About: Wellness CORE offers a grain-free kibble with real meat taking the spotlight as the main ingredient. Despite being grain-free, it’s packed with plenty of fiber content for energy and smooth digestion. Plus, it includes joint-supporting compounds to keep your canine feeling great and staying mobile
First Five Ingredients: Lamb, Lamb Meal, Pea Protein, Peas, & Lentils
- Joint-Support Galore: With glucosamine and chondroitin, each meal ensures joint care to keep your poodle prancin’.
- Boosted with Omega-3s: These beneficial fats enhance your furball’s skin and coat health.
- Fortified with Taurine: This addition aids in maintaining a strong heart for your pooch.
- Packed with Real Veggies: Ingredients like carrots, peas, and broccoli bring in nature’s vitamins, fiber, and taste.
- Proudly American: Wellness CORE dishes are crafted in the USA, though they incorporate ingredients from across the globe.
Lamb, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Pea Protein...,
Peas, Lentils, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Natural Lamb Flavor, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Kale, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- Grain-free nature suits poodles with vet-diagnosed grain allergies
- Glucosamine-rich recipe ideal for seniors or active poodles needing joint recovery
- Excellent source of protein and nutrients from natural ingredients, like real veggies
- Can be a tad rich for some pupper’s systems
- Grain-free diets have been correlated with DCM
9. The Farmer’s Dog [Most Eco-Friendly Fresh Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Earth-conscious canine caretakers who want a food that’s not only nutritious, but eco-friendly too.
About: The Farmer’s Dog delivers a fresh twist on dog food, tailoring meals precisely for your canine companion. When you sign up, an extensive online survey gathers specifics about your dog’s activity, age, and more to create the perfect recipe. Best of all, they’re big on green initiatives like recyclable and biodegradable packaging, making them a hit among eco-aware pet parents.
First Five Ingredients: USDA Chicken, Brussels Sprout, USDA Chicken Liver, Bok Choy, & Broccoli
- All About the Meat: Each dish begins with real meat, enhanced with nutrient-rich organs for that added boost of vitamins, minerals, and taste.
- Direct to Your Door: Say goodbye to stale food or trips to the pet store. These meals are shipped just days after cooking.
- Vet-Approved Goodness: Trust in the knowledge that board-certified veterinary nutritionists have given the nod to every recipe.
- Ready-to-Serve Packets: Ditch the food-measuring guesswork. Every meal is pre-portioned, streamlining feeding time and helping keep your doggo’s weight in check.
- Proudly American: Rest easy knowing The Farmer’s Dog dishes are whipped up in USDA-certified kitchens right here in the USA.
USDA Chicken, Brussels Sprout, USDA Chicken Liver, Bok Choy, Broccoli...,
Fish Oil, TFD Nutrient Pack [tricalcium phosphate, sea salt, vitamin B12 supplement, taurine, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, vitamin E supplement, copper amino acid chelate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.
- Greener packing processes put this fresh food option a step ahead
- Every recipe is board-certified veterinary nutritionist approved
- Served pre-portioned for maximum convenience
- As is the case with every fresh dog food, this is a pricey option
- Will require space in your freezer or refrigerator
10. Natural Balance LID with Grains [Best Dog Food for Poodles with Food Allergies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of poodles with food allergies or intolerances will dig this food’s easy-to-navigate ingredient list.
About: Natural Balance’s LID With Grains is made with a minimalist ingredient list, which is tailored for pups with food sensitivities or allergies, while still packing in quality proteins and carbs for sustained energy and digestion. Rich in omega-3s, it helps your poodle’s coat shine and skin stay healthy.
First Five Ingredients: Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, & Canola Oil
- Made with Real Meat: Each bag of Natural Balance’s Limited Ingredient food shines the spotlight on genuine meat.
- Pick Your Protein: Choose from five protein selections, ranging from everyday choices like chicken and beef to more novel options, such as duck.
- Single Protein Recipes: With just one animal protein in every bag, it’s simpler to sidestep any allergy culprits.
- Heart-Healthy Boost: Taurine is included to ensure your furry friend’s ticker stays healthy.
- Proudly Crafted in the USA: Natural Balance’s offerings are whipped up in the States, drawing on quality ingredients from reliable global partners.
- Excellent mix of proteins to choose from, including novel picks like duck
- Limited-ingredient, single-protein recipes are perfect for poodles with allergies
- Heart-friendly taurine supports your poodle’s circulatory health
- It’s lacking in produce, though this is by design for LIDs
- Not every dog goes wild for the taste
11. Open Farm [Best Small Breed Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of toy and miniature poodles will love this food’s smaller kibblets and nutrition focused on petite pups.
About: Treat your petite powerhouse poodle to Open Farm Grain Free Small Breed – a specialized kibble tailored for his unique dietary demands. While this food skips the grains, it includes several nutritious carbs, such as chickpeas and sweet potatoes, to fuel your pet’s body and keep him full. And with pumpkin enriching digestion through its prebiotic fiber, and green-lipped mussel bolstering joint health, it’s a complete meal for your pooch.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Turkey, Menhaden Fish Meal, Herring Meal, & Chickpeas
- Ethical Choices: Open Farm uses only ethically-sourced meats, which many pet parents love.
- Planet-First Approach: This brand is completely dedicated to sustainability and uses only locally sourced meat and non-GMO produce.
- Nutritional Excellence: Each Open Farm recipe meets the rigorous AAFCO standards for all life stages.
- Domestically Produced: Proudly manufactured in the USA to ensure the kind of safety and quality pet parents demand.
Chicken, Turkey, Menhaden Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Chickpeas...,
Sweet Potato, Natural Flavor, Coconut Oil, Pumpkin, Flaxseed, Kale, Carrots, Apples, Blueberries, Sunflower Oil, Miscanthus Grass, Cranberries, Dried Chicory Root, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hidrochloride, Folic Acid), Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Calcium lodate), Dried Kelp, Salt, New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Parsley, Peppermint, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Rosemary Extract
- The tiny kibblets and caloric density are perfect for your small-breed’s needs
- Green principles a hit with eco-friendly pet parents
- Ethical farming practices are always a plus
- Grain-free nature not ideal (or necessary) for every dog
- Premium quality does come with a higher price tag
12. Nutro Natural Choice [Best Large Breed Dog Food for Poodles]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of standard poodles expected to weigh 70 pounds or more will love this large-breed grub.
About: Nutro’s Large Breed Adult Formula spotlights diverse proteins, is infused with antioxidant-rich vegetables, and incorporates hearty whole grains for dietary fiber. To cater to your large-breed dog’s joint health, it’s fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin. Moreover, this feed is crafted in the USA, guaranteeing your furry friend a reliable and premium-quality meal.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Split Peas, & Whole Grain Sorghum
- Dual Protein Delight: Two proteins come first in the ingredient list, supporting healthy muscle development.
- Wholesome Grains: Crafted with nutritious whole grains and free from corn, wheat, or soy, it’s a good kibble for satiety without risking tummy upset.
- Joint Support Boost: Your poodle’s joints can benefit from chondroitin and glucosamine from chicken meal.
- American Quality: Nutro Natural Choice is made in the USA using non-GMO ingredients.
- Veggie Powerhouse: Kale, spinach, and pumpkin offer added antioxidants and fiber for nose-to-tail wellness.
Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate)...,
Whole Grain Brown Rice, Split Peas, Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Oatmeal, Whole Grain Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Specifically made to meet the AAFCO nutrient profile for large breed dogs
- Made with non-GMO ingredients – a super yay for some pet parents
- Supports pupper joints with glucosamine and chondroitin
- More protein options would be great for dogs requiring novel meats
- Taste isn’t a high point with every pup
13. Blue Buffalo W + M [Best Dog Food for Poodles with Joint Problems]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Those with poodles suffering from stiff or sore joints will appreciate this food’s frame-friendly ingredients.
About: Blue Buffalo’s W+M Recipe is an ideal option for dogs aiming to shed some pounds or facing challenges in maintaining an ideal weight. While a prescription is necessary to acquire this meal, its salmon and chicken combination justifies the extra step, offering ample omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine, and chondroitin to boost skin, coat, and joint wellness. Additionally, it’s crafted without grains, making it suitable for canines with grain sensitivities.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Powdered Cellulose, & Peas
- Packed with Protein: This food’s ingredient list is led by deboned salmon, then complemented by chicken and shrimp meal for a protein-dense diet.
- Nutrient-Rich Produce: Wholesome ingredients like blueberries, sweet potatoes, and peas ensure natural fiber, taste, and essential vitamins, promoting prolonged satiety.
- Immune-Boosting Formula: This veterinarian-approved blend incorporates Blue’s signature LifeSource Bits — cold-pressed morsels brimming with antioxidants to bolster immunity.
- Quality Ingredients Only: The recipe excludes potential irritants such as corn, wheat, soy, and any artificial additives, catering to dogs with sensitivities.
- Cooked in the USA: Like all Blue’s offerings, this meal is proudly made in the USA, using ingredients procured from trusted international sources.
Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Powdered Cellulose, Peas...,
- Great source of joint-supportive glucosamine and chondroitin
- Full of omega-3s that nourish skin and coat health, plus combat inflammation
- Packed with produce for natural sources of fiber, antioxidants, and more
- Not every pup with joint issues needs a weight-management recipe
- Some dogs refuse to each Blue’s LifeSource Bits
General Advice for Picking a Dog Food
When trying to choose a dog food, every dog owner — and yes, this includes poodle parents — should look for a food that:
- Satisfies the AAFCO standards for your pet’s life stage. While plenty of modern dog foods are nutritious, always opt for ones that satisfy the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) nutritional guidelines for your pet’s life stage.
- Gets the green light from your vet. Before committing to a dog food brand or variety, make it a point to chat with your vet. With insights into your dog’s health, breed requirements, and potential allergies, your vet is the go-to expert for navigating those often-confusing dog food labels.
- Addresses your pet’s unique health needs. Got a poodle with particular health quirks? Dive into the variety of specialized dog foods out there. From sensitive tums to achy joints, there’s a formula tailored to help.
By picking a food that checks these three boxes, you’ll almost certainly end up with a good choice. But you can ask yourself a few additional questions to help pick a food that’s next-level awesome.
- Is there a canine nutrition expert on the brand’s team? Having a canine nutrition specialist ensures they’re familiar with a dog’s distinct dietary requirements, playing a key role in formulating balanced, nutritious meals. Such expertise is paramount to verify the food’s nutritional adequacy and appropriateness for our four-legged friends.
- How often does the brand carry out safety checks? Consistent safety evaluations are pivotal to confirming the production process meets hygiene and safety benchmarks. These checks also confirm ingredient freshness and absence of contaminants.
- How does the brand treat its protein? Proteins should be cooked or pasteurized to neutralize potential pathogens. Raw proteins can endanger your dog’s health.
- Is there clear identification of meat meals and by-products? An upfront ingredient list lets pet parents be in the know about their dog’s diet. There’s nothing wrong with foods that include properly identified meat meals (such as “chicken meal“), but avoid foods with poorly identified ingredients like “meat meal.”
- Are ingredients exclusively sourced from Western nations? Ingredient provenance can influence dog food quality. Components hailing from Western countries (and preferably, the good ‘ol US of A) tend to face rigorous quality checks.
- Does the brand include beneficial add-ins in the dog food? Elements like glucosamine or chondroitin can play a part in shielding your dog’s joints, ensuring they keep on strutting their stuff.
- Does the food host antioxidant and omega-3 rich components? While antioxidants, found in vibrant fruits and veggies, bolster a dog’s defenses, omega-3s, frequent in fish oils, play a part in curbing inflammation and fostering a radiant coat.
Answering these questions will help you end up with a fantastic food for your floof, but there is one more question you should ask yourself: Is your pooch smitten with the food’s flavor?
Palatability is a critical characteristic to consider. Your dog deserves to eat something he likes.
He’d want you to enjoy your dinner, so be sure you’re returning the favor.
Best Dog Food for Poodles: FAQ
Still have questions about selecting the best food for your poodle? Don’t worry – we’re here to help! We’ve rounded up some of the most common questions owners have and answered them below.
What is the best food to feed poodles?
The best food for your poodle meets the AAFCO guidelines for his life stage, gets the green light from your vet, and addresses any specific health issues he has. Ollie is a good starting point for most healthy adult poodles, while Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy recipe is a good choice for puppies.
Is wet food or dry food better for poodles?
It depends on your specific poodle. Kibble is generally the more affordable and convenient choice, while wet foods are better for picky poodles and those with dental issues. Custom-crafted fresh foods are likely the very best choice for owners who can afford them.
What foods can poodles not eat?
Poodles shouldn’t consume any foods toxic to dogs, such as onions, garlic, chocolate, or sweetened with xylitol. Additionally, you should avoid giving your pup raw proteins, fatty or salty people foods (even if they aren’t technically “toxic”), or foods that aren’t appropriate for your pet’s life stage.
Is Blue Buffalo good for standard poodles?
Blue Buffalo is an excellent choice for some standard poodles. As always, you’ll have to consider your pet’s specific needs and keep your vet in the loop while making your choice.
Choosing the ideal food for your poodle requires a blend of science, love, and attentive observation. Always keep your pupper’s health and well-being at the forefront of your mind, consult with your vet regularly, and stay updated with the latest in canine nutrition.
Your poodle’s wagging tail, shiny coat, and boundless energy will be all the affirmation you need that you’re making the right choices.
What do you feed your poodle? How has it been working out? Is there anything unique about it you’d like to share?
Let us know in the comments below!