Picking the perfect food for your furry friend can be a daunting task. After all, who doesn’t want to give their canine companion the absolute best?
While selecting your mutt’s ideal munchies can get complicated, a great place to start is seeking out food from a reputable country of origin. There are a handful of very high-quality foods made in Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, but American-made foods typically rise to the top of the dog-food pile.
We’ll dive into some of our favorite US-made dog food options and explain why American-made foods are often superior below.
Best Made in the USA Dog Foods: Quick Picks
- #1 Ollie [Best Overall Made In The USA Dog Food]: Made in small batches with human-grade ingredients, this is a tasty, nutritious option that your pup is sure to love.
- #2 Nom Nom [Best US-Made and US-Sourced Dog Food]: One of the few foods made solely from ingredients sourced in the U.S., Nom Nom certainly deserves consideration from owners.
- #3 Blue Buffalo [Best Made in the USA Kibble]: If fresh foods are too expensive but you still want a high-quality, US-made food for your furry friend, Blue Buffalo is a great option.
- #4 Purina Pro Plan [Most Affordable Made in the USA Dog Food]: Though it may lack some of the high-end features of some other US-made foods, it’s still a tasty and nutritious option to consider that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
The Best Dog Foods That Are Made In The USA
Without further ado, here are some of the best dog foods that are made in the USA. Remember to check in with your veterinarian before transitioning Buddy onto a new diet to make sure he’s getting all of the nutrients he needs to keep his tail wagging.
A premium, human-grade food that’s delivered fresh-frozen to your doorstep.
About: This human-grade wet food by Ollie features whole beef, fiber-rich sweet potatoes, and antioxidant-rich blueberries to keep your pooch healthy and please his palate. Made without soy, corn, or wheat, this grain-free recipe is minimally processed to preserve nutrients.
- Vet-designed recipes featuring beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb
- A human-grade food that’s made without “fillers” or artificial flavoring
- Real meat is the number-one ingredient
- The food is delivered straight to your door
- Ollie meals are fresh-frozen and must be thawed before mutt mealtime
Beef, peas, sweet potato, potato, carrot...,
beef kidney, beef liver, spinach, blueberries, dicalcium phosphate, chia seeds, iodized salt, fish oil, zinc gluconate, rosemary, vitamin E supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), potassium iodide
- Dogs seem to absolutely love the taste of this nutrient-rich food.
- Owners appreciated that the wet food comes with a convenient tupperware container to store leftovers.
- Some owners saw improvements in their pups’ digestion and overall health after switching to Ollie.
- This is a pricey choice for many pet owners, especially if you have a larger furry friend.
- Frozen fresh dog foods require thawing and can be difficult to serve while on-the-go.
2. Nom Nom
Freshly prepared meals that are made with US-sourced, human-grade ingredients.
About: Nom Nom is another excellent fresh food for Fido that you may want to consider when seeking a US-made dog food option. These recipes are crafted by a nutritionist, made from human-grade ingredients, and look pretty similar to the dinners you make yourself! What’s not to love?
- All Nom Nom recipes were created by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist
- Made with only US-sourced ingredients
- Food is cooked gently to retain flavor and nutrients
- A whole protein is the first ingredient in each recipe
- Meals custom-crafted to address your dog’s allergies and health considerations
Ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach...,
dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, fish oil, natural flavor, vinegar, citric acid, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese gluconate, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
- Many dogs go nuts for the taste of Nom Nom.
- Nom Nom can be purchased in half portions to be used as a nutrient-rich topper for your dog’s dry food.
- Owners loved the convenience of the automatic subscription service and loved the nutritious, protein-packed recipes for their pups.
- Nom Nom offers a sample pack option for owners who don’t want to commit to a subscription.
- It can be difficult to portion out the frozen-food packs.
- As with most fresh options, Nom Nom is pricey.
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection
Blue Buffalo Life Protection
A US-made kibble that’s made with real meat, whole grains, and nutritional “extras.”
About: If you’re seeking a high-quality, US-made kibble for your canine, it’s certainly worth considering food from the Blue Buffalo Life Protection series. This food utilizes real meat, antioxidants, and omega 3 fatty acids to provide your pooch with a tasty, nutritious, and balanced meal.
- “Lifesource Bits” provide a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Lean meat options to help your hound maintain a healthy weight
- Real meat is the first ingredient
- All recipes are made without artificial flavors
- Contains whole grains, but made without corn, wheat, or soy
- Bulk sizing options and 4 flavor options to choose from
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal...,
Pea Starch, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Peas, Pea Protein, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- Many dogs, including some historically picky eaters really enjoyed this kibble.
- Owners appreciated this food’s attractive combination of nutrition, taste, and price.
- Packed with antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics.
- Some dogs tend to pick around the Lifesource Bits.
- Some dogs with sensitive stomachs didn’t respond well to this food, though other pooches transitioned to this kibble without issue.
4. Nutro Natural Choice
Nutro Natural Choice
Tasty, grain-inclusive, bite-sized kibble that’s made in the USA and ideal for small dogs.
About: This kibble by Nutro is well-loved by small dogs for its tasty recipe and bite-sized design. A food full of fiber and antioxidants, this US-made kibble features a whole protein as the number one ingredient.
- Small kibble size designed for compact canines
- Made without corn, wheat, or soy
- Comes in 5-, 13-, and 30-pound quantities
- Great source of fiber and antioxidants
- US-made food with globally-sourced ingredients
Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Rice Bran...,
Split Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Smaller-sized kibble is easier for pint-sized pups to eat.
- Owners appreciated how affordable this nutritious kibble is.
- Typically didn’t cause problems for doggos with sensitive stomachs.
- The food only comes in two different flavor options: lamb and chicken.
- Smaller kibble size might not be ideal for big best buddies.
5. Wellness Natural Pet Food
Wellness Natural Pet Food
A high-quality, grain-inclusive, US-made kibble that’s great for growing puppies.
About: If you’re welcoming a new furry friend into the family, it’s worth considering this dry puppy food from Wellness Natural. This US-made, grain-inclusive food comes in several different iterations, making it easy to find the perfect recipe for adult dogs and puppies alike.
- Made in the USA dog food is crafted without corn, wheat or soy
- Good source of vitamins and omega 3 fatty acids to support a healthy coat
- 4 different flavor options available, including a formula suitable for puppies
- 4 different sizing options
- Made with globally-sourced ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Peas...,
Chicken Fat, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil , Tomatoes, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Chicory Root Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic Powder, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product.
- Different protein options are available to help you avoid triggering food allergies.
- Owners were happy to see how much their furry friends loved the taste of this food.
- Some owners saw their dog’s skin and coat improve after switching to this food.
- This is a fairly expensive kibble.
- Some dogs experienced stomach issues after transitioning to this food.
6. Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan
An affordable, grain-inclusive kibble that’s made in the USA with real chicken.
About: This budget-friendly kibble comes in a variety of styles for different life stages. Featuring meat as the first ingredient, and packed with plenty of vitamins to sustain your furry friend, this is a great option for budget-limited owners.
Chicken, Rice Flour, Whole Grain Wheat, Poultry By-Product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Soybean Meal...,
Beef Tallow Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Fish Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Natural Liver Flavor, Glycerin, Wheat Bran, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Garlic Oil.
- Protein-rich food (26%) is formulated with probiotics for sensitive stomachs
- Whole meat is the first ingredient
- Kibble has added vitamin A to support a healthy coat
- Dry food comes in 4 different quantities for your furry friend
- Made in the US from globally-sourced ingredients
- Budget-friendly option that works well for most furry friends.
- Many dogs love this food, including those with sensitive stomachs.
- Bulk sizing options are great for owners with gentle giants.
- Some owners found that the size of the kibbles wasn’t always consistent.
- Like any other food, some dogs did not respond well to this kibble.
7. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Wet Food
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Wet Food
A protein-packed wet food option that’s perfect for pups who prefer a softer texture.
About: This food from Blue Buffalo is a great choice if your furry friend prefers a wet food option. Great for dogs who are picky about food, suffering from dental issues, or in need of hydration help, this canned food comes in six different flavor options and is made without corn, wheat, or soy.
- Made without corn, wheat, or soy
- This fiber-rich food is made with sweet potatoes, carrots, and beef
- Contains no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Designed to meet the AAFCO guidelines for all life stages
- Can be purchased in packs of 8 or 12
Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Carrots, Peas...,
Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Salt, Cassia Gum, Flaxseed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of this canned food.
- Owners enjoyed using this wet food on its own, or as a supplement to dry food for their four-footers.
- Wet food is great for keeping your furry friend hydrated, and it is easier to eat for some senior or young dogs.
- Some owners found the quality of this wet food somewhat inconsistent.
- A couple of dogs with sensitive stomachs didn’t respond well to this food.
8. Stella & Chewy’s Dinner Patties
Stella & Chewy’s Dinner Patties
US-made, freeze-dried raw dinner patties that are packed with protein and super tasty.
About: These freeze-dried dinner patties from Stella & Chewy’s are great for pups seeking out a raw, gluten-free food option. The patties can be rehydrated to serve as your dog’s main meal, but they also serve as great training treats or kibble toppers.
- These real meat patties are supplemented with organic fruits and vegetables
- Dehydrated patties can be served as-is or with added water
- Dog food is fortified with probiotics
- Made without grains or gluten
- 13 different flavor options available, making it easy to please picky pups
Pork, pork liver, pork bone, fenugreek seed, pork kidney...,
pumpkin seed, organic cranberries, organic spinach, organic broccoli, organic beets, organic carrots, organic squash, organic blueberries, potassium chloride, dried kelp, sodium phosphate, tocopherols (preservative), choline chloride, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, taurine, calcium carbonate, tricalcium phosphate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, niacin supplement, d-Calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, salt.
- Patties can be used as tasty toppers, treats, or complete meals.
- Owners appreciated the portability of the lightweight freeze-dried patties.
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of these patties.
- Some owners saw small improvements in their dog’s coat quality after switching to these patties.
- Freeze-dried patties can be pretty pricey especially if you have a larger furry friend.
- The higher fat content of these patties might make them unsuitable for overweight dogs.
9. Natural Balance LID Diet
Natural Balance LID Diet
US-made kibble that’s great for dogs suffering from food allergies or sensitivities.
About: If your furry friend suffers from allergies, you’ll want to consider this dog food from Natural Balance. The limited-ingredient dog food is made without common allergens and features five different proteins to choose from to meet your mutt’s needs.
- Limited ingredient dog food is made without legumes, potatoes, corn, wheat, or soy
- Kibbles come in 5 different flavor options and 4 different sizes
- Great source of protein for pups
- These US-made kibbles are crafted with globally sourced ingredients
- Added taurine to promote heart health
Lamb, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran...,
Brewers Dried Yeast, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dl-methionine, Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.
- This limited ingredient kibble is great for dogs with stomach sensitivities or food allergies.
- Some owners saw improvements in their dog’s allergy symptoms upon switching to this food.
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of the five different flavor options for this food.
- Some dogs did not like the taste of this kibble, though that can happen with any food.
- A couple of dogs suffered from stomach upset after switching to this food.
Why Are American-Made Dog Foods Preferred Over Foreign Stuff?
So why does it matter if your dog’s food is made in the USA? American-made foods are often considered the premier pooch meal options due to a couple of key factors:
- High quality control standards: American-made pet foods are subject to federal regulations that help lower the risk of companies utilizing unsafe ingredients. While other western countries may have a similar set of guidelines to adhere to (some even have more stringent requirements), this cannot be guaranteed for all globally produced pet foods.
- High safety standards: The USDA and FDA ensure that certain safety standards are employed throughout the process of creating and packaging food for our furry friends.
- Can be relatively affordable: While American-grade foods are often more expensive than lower quality foods (you get what you pay for), they are sometimes cheaper than other comparable foods made in advanced Western countries.
What About Ingredient Sourcing?
In addition to the country in which a dog food is made, it is also important to think about where the manufacturer obtains the ingredients they use.
You may encounter foods with the label “made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients.” This just means that these foods are prepared in America, but they are made with ingredients imported from other countries.
This isn’t necessarily an issue, but foods made solely from US-sourced ingredients are preferable.
However, foods that are made solely with US-sourced ingredients are pretty rare in the marketplace, and most manufacturers end up having to obtain some of their ingredients from other countries.
In fact, Nom Nom is the only food discussed above that is made solely from US-sourced ingredients.
However, as dog food manufacturers increasingly recognize that consumers want their dog’s food to contain locally, ethically sourced ingredients, it’s slowly becoming more common to see US-sourced ingredients. Heck, some sustainablility-focused dog food brands like Open Farm even have lot trackers that identify exactly where each ingredient from your specific bag of dog food comes from.
Are All Dog Foods Made In The USA High Quality?
Unfortunately, just because a food is made in the USA doesn’t mean that it is necessarily the ideal choice for your pooch. And for that matter, not all good foods are made in the USA — there are also some high-quality foods on the market that are made in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand too.
But the point is, while the “made in the USA” label can serve as a good indicator that your food of choice might be a great pick, that shouldn’t be the only thing you look for.
Instead, you’ll want to take the time to learn how to choose the right dog food for your specific furry friend.
That’s important because all dogs are individuals, with different needs and health concerns.
Additionally, you’ll need to factor in things like your budget (you obviously can’t feed Fido a food you can’t afford) and your dog’s palate — your doggo deserves to love his daily dinner, after all!
Bottom line: There’s a lot to think about when picking a healthy dog food for your hound, but you’ll have three top-line considerations you should pretty much consider mandatory.
This means picking a dog food that:
- Adheres to the AAFCO guidelines for your dog’s life stage
- Takes your dog’s specific health and allergy considerations into account
- Is approved by your veterinarian for your dog
Sticking to American-made foods is certainly a good start, but it’s just one thing to consider when choosing a chow for your canine.
Seeking out dog food made in the USA can be a great way to provide your pooch with a high-quality meal on a regular basis. Just remember your food of choice meets all necessary health requirements for your hound and gets a thumb’s up from your vet.
Does your canine consume made in the USA food? Have you tried any of these food options? Let us know in the comments below!