Picking the perfect food for your furry friend can be a daunting task. After all, who doesn’t want to give their canine companion the absolute best?
While selecting your mutt’s ideal munchies can get complicated, a great place to start is seeking out food from a reputable country of origin. There are a handful of very high-quality foods made in Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, but American-made foods typically rise to the top of the dog-food pile.
We’ll dive into some of our favorite US-made dog food options and explain why American-made foods are often superior below.
Best Made in the USA Dog Food Quick Picks
The Best Made in the USA Dog Food Picks
Without further ado, here are some of the best dog foods that are made in the USA. Remember to check in with your veterinarian before transitioning Buddy onto a new diet to make sure he’s getting all of the nutrients he needs to keep his tail wagging.
About: This human-grade wet food by Ollie features whole beef, fiber-rich sweet potatoes, and antioxidant-rich blueberries to keep your pooch healthy and please his palate. Made without soy, corn, or wheat, this grain-free recipe is minimally processed to preserve nutrients.
- Vet-designed recipes featuring beef, chicken, turkey, or lamb
- A human-grade food that’s made without “fillers” or artificial flavoring
- Real meat is the number-one ingredient
- The food is delivered straight to your door
- Ollie meals are fresh-frozen and must be thawed before mutt mealtime
- Special partnership with K9 of Mine readers where you can get 50% off your first Ollie order!
Beef, peas, sweet potato, potato, carrot...,
beef kidney, beef liver, spinach, blueberries, dicalcium phosphate, chia seeds, iodized salt, fish oil, zinc gluconate, rosemary, vitamin E supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), potassium iodide
- Dogs seem to absolutely love the taste of this nutrient-rich food.
- Owners appreciated that the wet food comes with a convenient Tupperware container to store leftovers.
- Some owners saw improvements in their pups’ digestion and overall health after switching to Ollie.
- This is a pricey choice for many pet owners, especially if you have a larger furry friend.
- Frozen fresh dog foods require thawing and can be difficult to serve while on the go.
2. Nom Nom
About: Nom Nom is another excellent fresh dog food brand that you may want to consider when seeking a US-made dog food option. These recipes are crafted by a nutritionist, made from human-grade ingredients, and look pretty similar to the dinners you make yourself! What’s not to love?
- All Nom Nom recipes were created by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist
- Made with only US-sourced ingredients
- Food is cooked gently to retain flavor and nutrients
- A whole protein is the first ingredient in each recipe
- Meals custom-crafted to address your dog’s allergies and health considerations
- Deal with K9 of Mine where you can get 50% off your first order!
Ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach...,
dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, fish oil, natural flavor, vinegar, citric acid, taurine, choline bitartrate, zinc gluconate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese gluconate, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide.
- Many dogs go nuts for the taste of Nom Nom.
- Nom Nom can be purchased in half portions to be used as a nutrient-rich topper for your dog’s dry food.
- Owners loved the convenience of the automatic subscription service and loved the nutritious, protein-packed recipes for their pups.
- Nom Nom offers a sample pack option for owners who don’t want to commit to a subscription.
- It can be difficult to portion out the frozen-food packs.
- As with most fresh options, Nom Nom is pricey.
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection
About: If you’re seeking high-quality, US-made kibble for your canine, it’s certainly worth considering food from the Blue Buffalo Life Protection series. This food utilizes real meat, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids to provide your pooch with a tasty, nutritious, and balanced meal.
- “Lifesource Bits” provide a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Lean meat options to help your hound maintain a healthy weight
- Real meat is the first ingredient
- All recipes are made without artificial flavors
- Contains whole grains but is made without corn, wheat, or soy
- Bulk sizing options and 4 flavor options to choose from
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal...,
Pea Starch, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Peas, Pea Protein, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- Many dogs, including some historically picky eaters, really enjoyed this kibble.
- Owners appreciated this food’s attractive combination of nutrition, taste, and price.
- Packed with antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics.
- Some dogs tend to pick around the Lifesource Bits.
- Some dogs with sensitive stomachs didn’t respond well to this food, though other pooches transitioned to this kibble without issue.
4. Nutro Natural Choice
About: This kibble by Nutro is well-loved by small dogs for its tasty recipe and bite-sized design. A food full of fiber and antioxidants, this US-made kibble features a whole protein as the number one ingredient.
We also appreciate that this dog food is made without any corn, wheat, or soy. It’s even been chosen as one of our top dog foods for golden retrievers, among others.
- Small kibble size designed for compact canines
- Made without corn, wheat, or soy
- Comes in 5-, 13-, and 30-pound quantities
- Great source of fiber and antioxidants
- US-made food with globally-sourced ingredients
Deboned Lamb, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Rice Bran...,
Split Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Smaller-sized kibble is easier for pint-sized pups to eat.
- Owners appreciated how affordable this nutritious kibble is.
- Typically didn’t cause problems for doggos with sensitive stomachs.
- The food only comes in two different flavor options: lamb and chicken.
- Smaller kibble size might not be ideal for big best buddies.
5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Adult
About: Nourish every inch of your sizeable sniffer with Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Adult, a crunchy dry food made for dogs weighing more than 70 pounds. Grain-inclusive, this recipe’s brown rice, oatmeal, and barley give your big buddy the energy he needs while keeping him satisfied between meals, while a mix of produce like sweet potatoes and blueberries provides critical vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Contains Blue’s trademark LifeSource Bits that are packed with antioxidants
- Available in chicken and lamb-based recipes
- Prebiotics and probiotic blend offer a helping hand to your dog’s digestive system
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley,...,
Pea Starch, Peas, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Pea Fiber, Natural Flavor, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Fish Oil (source of EPA-Eicosapentaenoic Acid), Direct Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dried Chicory Root, Potatoes, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Garlic, L-Carnitine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary
- Vitamins and minerals are carefully balanced to meet the needs of large-breed dogs
- Contains great extras like probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants
- Glucosamine and chondroitin offer critical joint support for large pups
- More protein options would be great for dogs allergic to common meats
- Not every dog cares for Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits
6. Purina Pro Plan
About: This budget-friendly kibble comes in a variety of styles for different life stages. Featuring meat as the first ingredient and packed with plenty of vitamins to sustain your furry friend, this is a great option for budget-limited owners.
Chicken, Rice Flour, Whole Grain Wheat, Poultry By-Product Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Soybean Meal...,
Beef Tallow Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Corn Gluten Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Fish Meal (Source Of Glucosamine), Natural Liver Flavor, Glycerin, Wheat Bran, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil, Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Biotin (Vitamin B-7)], Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Garlic Oil.
- Protein-rich food (26%) is formulated with probiotics for sensitive stomachs
- Whole meat is the first ingredient
- Kibble has added vitamin A to support a healthy coat
- Dry food comes in 4 different quantities for your furry friend
- Made in the US from globally-sourced ingredients
- A budget-friendly option that works well for most furry friends.
- Many dogs love this food, including those with sensitive stomachs.
- Bulk sizing options are great for owners with gentle giants.
- Some owners found that the size of the kibbles wasn’t always consistent.
- Like any other food, some dogs did not respond well to this kibble.
7. The Farmer’s Dog
About: The Farmer’s Dog is a customized fresh food for pups flash frozen and packed in eco-friendly packaging, including biodegradable insulation, limiting your carbon footprint compared to other delivery options. All packaging is also BPA-free and non-toxic, keeping your canine safe.
- Customized to your dog’s unique dietary needs based on a questionnaire and delivered pre-portioned to your door for maximum convenience
- All recipes are formulated by board-certified veterinary nutritionists
- Each recipe is a mix of gently cooked meat and vegetables (Beef, Chicken, Turkey, and Pork options)
- Made in the USA with human-grade ingredients in USDA kitchens
- Eco-friendly packaging is a win compared to other US-made fresh dog food options
- Flavor earns a tail wag from most doggos
- Customized and pre-portioned to your pup’s needs, helping him maintain his physique
- Expensive, especially if you’re feeding multiple mutts or a large woofer
- Fresh food, so it does require room in your refrigerator
8. Open Farm
About: Ingredient traceability is a high point of Open Farm, an American-made company focused on ethically-sourced ingredients you can explore from a barcode on each bag. Packaging is also recyclable through TerraCycle, further reducing their earth impact.
- Offered in 26 dry dog foods, including grain-free, grain-inclusive, and raw-boosted recipes
- Made with non-GMO grains and produce
- Doesn’t contain legumes or potatoes
- Made in the USA with US- and internationally sourced ingredients you can trace from each bag
Lamb, Oats, Ocean Whitefish Meal, Millet, Brown Rice...,
Coconut Oil, Herring Meal, Natural Flavor, Quinoa, Pumpkin, Salmon Oil, Apples, Chia Seed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Chicory Root, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Calcium Iodate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols, Cinnamon, Turmeric
- Ingredient traceability pretty unmatched in the dog food world
- Prebiotics from pumpkin chicory root aid in doggo digestion
- Lack of peas and potatoes is a high point for some pet parents
- Pricier than standard dry dog food options
- Mixed proteins can cause an issue for dogs with sensitivities
9. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Wet Food
About: This food from Blue Buffalo is a great choice if your furry friend prefers a wet food option. Great for dogs who are picky about food, suffering from dental issues, or in need of hydration help, this canned food comes in six different flavor options and is made without corn, wheat, or soy.
- Made without corn, wheat, or soy
- This fiber-rich food is made with sweet potatoes, carrots, and beef
- Contains no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Designed to meet the AAFCO guidelines for all life stages
- Can be purchased in packs of 8 or 12
Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Carrots, Peas...,
Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Salt, Cassia Gum, Flaxseed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9).
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of this canned food.
- Owners enjoyed using this wet food on its own or as a supplement to dry food for their four-footers.
- Wet food is great for keeping your furry friend hydrated, and it is easier to eat for some senior or young dogs.
- Some owners found the quality of this wet food somewhat inconsistent.
- A couple of dogs with sensitive stomachs didn’t respond well to this food.
10. Stella & Chewy’s Dinner Patties
About: These freeze-dried dinner patties from Stella & Chewy’s are great for pups seeking out a raw, gluten-free food option. The patties can be rehydrated to serve as your dog’s main meal, but they also serve as great training treats or kibble toppers.
- These real meat patties are supplemented with organic fruits and vegetables
- Dehydrated patties can be served as-is or with added water
- Dog food is fortified with probiotics
- Made without grains or gluten
- 13 different flavor options are available, making it easy to please picky pups
Pork, pork liver, pork bone, fenugreek seed, pork kidney...,
pumpkin seed, organic cranberries, organic spinach, organic broccoli, organic beets, organic carrots, organic squash, organic blueberries, potassium chloride, dried kelp, sodium phosphate, tocopherols (preservative), choline chloride, dried Pediococcus acidilactici fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Bacillus coagulans fermentation product, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, taurine, calcium carbonate, tricalcium phosphate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, niacin supplement, d-Calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, salt.
- Patties can be used as tasty toppers, treats, or complete meals.
- Owners appreciated the portability of the lightweight freeze-dried patties.
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of these patties.
- Some owners saw small improvements in their dog’s coat quality after switching to these patties.
- Freeze-dried patties can be pretty pricey, especially if you have a larger furry friend.
- The higher fat content of these patties might make them unsuitable for overweight dogs.
11. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient
About: If your furry friend suffers from allergies, you’ll want to consider this dog food from Natural Balance. The limited-ingredient dog food is made without common allergens and features five different proteins to choose from to meet your mutt’s needs.
- Limited ingredient dog food is made without legumes, potatoes, corn, wheat, or soy
- Kibbles come in 5 different flavor options and 4 different sizes
- Great source of protein for pups
- These US-made kibbles are crafted with globally sourced ingredients
- Added taurine to promote heart health
Lamb, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran...,
Brewers Dried Yeast, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dl-methionine, Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.
- This limited-ingredient kibble is great for dogs with stomach sensitivities or food allergies.
- Some owners saw improvements in their dog’s allergy symptoms upon switching to this food.
- Dogs seemed to love the taste of the five different flavor options for this food.
- Some dogs did not like the taste of this kibble, though that can happen with any food.
- A couple of dogs suffered from stomach upset after switching to this food.
12. Raised Right
About: Raised Right is an American-made fresh food aiming for natural nutrition, using real fruits, vegetables, and organ meat for vitamins and minerals in place of synthetic sources. Customize your doggo’s diet to a plan that works for your budget, including feeding 100 percent, 50 percent, or 25 percent Raised Right meals.
- Ground texture ideal for pups with missing teeth
- Omega fatty acids support canine skin and coat health
- Offered in 11 recipes like Turkey and Pork
- Made in the USA using human-grade ingredients
Turkey Thigh, Turkey Heart, Turkey Liver, Carrots, Blueberries,...,
Organic Spearmint, Cod Liver Oil, Egg Shell Powder, Flaxseed Oil, Organic Dried Kelp
- Free of synthetic vitamins, sticking to natural sources
- Most dogs enjoy the food’s taste and meaty ground texture
- Limited ingredient nature great for dogs with sensitivities
- Expensive to feed, particularly with a large breed or multiple mutts
- Will take up prime real estate in your refrigerator
13. A Pup Above
About: The great flavor and texture of A Pup Above make it an excellent choice for pickier pups, with bone broth and innovative sous vide cooking method adding to its taste. Made with human-grade ingredients, the single-protein recipes also suit dogs with food sensitivities.
- Features non-GMO vegetables
- Choose from Texas Beef Stew, Turkey Pawella, Chicka Chicka Bow Wow, and Porky’s Luau
- Trace your ingredients to the source using the lot code on the bag
- Made in the US at a USDA human food facility and shipped in recyclable packaging
Beef, Beef Liver, Russet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Beef Bone Broth,...,
Carrots, Green Peas, Safflower Oil, Turmeric, Thyme, Parsley, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Animo Acid Chelate, Copper Animo Acid Chelate, Manganese Animo Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement
- Flavor is a high point with most pups
- Farm-to-bowl ingredient traceability hard to find in the dog food world
- Recyclable packaging is great for the eco-friendly crowd (and the planet!)
- Requires refrigeration
- No bones about it… this food is pricey
One More Made-in-the-USA Option: Portland Pet Food Toppers
Whether you feed your floof one of the best US-made dog foods discussed above or you serve up something else, pet owners often run into a common problem: You do your homework, talk with your vet, and find a food that’s not only made in the USA but also perfect for your pet’s needs and your budget.
But once you open the bag and pour it into your pet’s bowl, you discover that Fido doesn’t like it at all!
Fortunately, there’s a quick-and-easy way to address this problem: Just add a delicious dog food topper to Spot’s supper!
But you certainly don’t want to pick just any dog food topper, especially if you’ve gone to great lengths to stick to US-made dog foods; you want a topper that’s of the same quality as your pet’s kibble.
And this is where Portland Pet comes in.
Portland Pet’s Meal Pouches pouches are not only made in the USA, but they’re also nutritious and tasty as can be! They come in microwavable pouches (warm food toppers provide extra pooch appeal), they’re available in five flavors, and they’re priced very reasonably.
Rosie’s Beef N’ Rice Meal Pouch Ingredients:
Beef, Brown Rice, Peas, Carrots, Beef Heart...,
Eggs, Millet Flour, Vegetable Oil, and Powdered Eggshell.
- Provide an easy way to make your dog’s boring kibble appealing
- More nutritious than most homemade topper options (broth, etc.)
- A great way to get your dog additional vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- They will increase your overall dog food budget
- Though most dogs love them, there are rare exceptions
Why Are American-Made Dog Foods Preferred Over Foreign Stuff?
So why does it matter if your dog’s food is made in the USA? American-made foods are often considered the premier pooch meal options due to a couple of key factors:
- High-quality control standards: American-made pet foods are subject to federal regulations that help lower the risk of companies utilizing unsafe ingredients. While other Western countries may have a similar set of guidelines to adhere to (some even have more stringent requirements), this cannot be guaranteed for all globally produced pet foods.
- High safety standards: The USDA and FDA ensure that certain safety standards are employed throughout the process of creating and packaging food for our furry friends.
- Can be relatively affordable: While American-grade foods are often more expensive than lower-quality foods (you get what you pay for), they are sometimes cheaper than other comparable foods made in advanced Western countries.
What About Ingredient Sourcing?
In addition to the country in which dog food is made, it is also important to think about where the manufacturer obtains the ingredients they use.
You may encounter foods with the label “made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients.” This just means that these foods are prepared in America, but they are made with ingredients imported from other countries.
This isn’t necessarily an issue, but foods made solely from US-sourced ingredients are preferable.
However, foods that are made solely with US-sourced ingredients are pretty rare in the marketplace, and most manufacturers end up having to obtain some of their ingredients from other countries.
In fact, Nom Nom is the only food discussed above that is made solely from US-sourced ingredients.
However, as dog food manufacturers increasingly recognize that consumers want their dog’s food to contain locally, ethically sourced ingredients, it’s slowly becoming more common to see US-sourced ingredients.
Are All Dog Foods Made In The USA High Quality?
Unfortunately, just because a food is made in the USA doesn’t mean that it is necessarily the ideal choice for your pooch. And for that matter, not all good foods are made in the USA — there are also some high-quality foods on the market that are made in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand too.
But the point is, while the “made in the USA” label can serve as a good indicator that your food of choice might be a great pick, that shouldn’t be the only thing you look for.
Instead, you’ll want to take the time to learn how to choose the right dog food for your specific furry friend.
That’s important because all dogs are individuals with different needs and health concerns.
Additionally, you’ll need to factor in things like your budget (you obviously can’t feed Fido food you can’t afford) and your dog’s palate — your doggo deserves to love his daily dinner, after all!
Bottom line: There’s a lot to think about when picking a healthy dog food for your hound, but you’ll have three top-line considerations you should pretty much consider mandatory.
This means picking a dog food that:
- Adheres to the AAFCO guidelines for your dog’s life stage
- Takes your dog’s specific health and allergy considerations into account
- Is approved by your veterinarian for your dog
Sticking to American-made foods is certainly a good start, but it’s just one thing to consider when choosing a chow for your canine.
Best Made in the USA Dog Food: FAQ
Do you still have questions about the best made-in-the-USA dog foods? Check out these commonly asked questions and their answers.
What dog food is made only in the USA?
Which dog food is best in the USA?
The best dog in the US for your dog varies by his needs, as every pup has unique dietary needs. A picky senior pup with missing teeth might need something easy to eat and palatable, like A Pup Above, while an active big barker could thrive on Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Adult.
If you’re stuck between brands, ask your vet for input, as they’re best clued into your dog’s dietary and health needs.
Is Blue Buffalo sourced in the USA?
Blue Buffalo sources some ingredients from the United States but also sources others from countries around the world. Most of the food’s grains and meats come from the US.
Blue Buffalo isn’t unique in this procurement style, as globally sourced ingredients are common in dog foods.
Which dog food is sourced in the USA?
Nom Nom is a tasty American-made dog food that’s entirely sourced from US ingredients. As a bonus, this fresh option’s customized to your doggo’s dietary needs, too.
Why is US-made dog food best?
The United States has stricter pet food regulations than many other nations around the world, ensuring products are properly labeled and contain dog-safe ingredients. Manufacturers also have to operate in safer conditions than abroad with stricter quality controls.
Seeking out dog food made in the USA can be a great way to provide your pooch with a high-quality meal on a regular basis. Just remember your food of choice meets all necessary health requirements for your hound and gets a thumb’s up from your vet.
Does your canine consume made-in-the-USA food? Have you tried any of these food options? Let us know in the comments below!