Welcome, husky parents! Put on your snow boots because we’re diving into the chilly world of Siberian husky cuisine!
Bred to pull sleds across the frosty terrains of Siberia, these charming canines not only need fuel to stay warm but also to match the breed’s high energy levels. Exactly what gastronomical delights should you be stowing in Fido’s food dish? Worry not!
We’re about to embark on a culinary tour to help you find the best grub to keep your husky’s tail wagging, so settle in as we share the best dog foods for Siberian huskies and ways to pick the right food for your floofy friend.
Best Dog Foods for Siberian Huskies: Quick Picks
How to Choose a Food for Siberian Huskies
Knowing your Siberian husky’s breed-specific health concerns is your secret weapon in choosing the right food for your pooch. This Arctic pup has some distinctive health challenges that can be kept in check, to some extent, by making thoughtful food choices.
These ingredients in your dog’s food can help with common health problems seen in huskies:
- Joint-Supporting Extras: Alas, our sled-pulling friends often face the risk of hip dysplasia, a painful joint condition that can greatly affect mobility. Dog foods fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin are your go-to in this case as these supplements support joint health and can slow down the progression of this and other joint ailments.
- Eye-Friendly DHA: Huskies are known to encounter several eye problems, like cataracts and glaucoma. That’s where the omega-3 fatty acid DHA comes into play. Foods rich in this fatty acid can provide an extra layer of protection for the breed’s striking baby blues (or browns or bi-eyes…you get the gist).
- Calorie-Conscious Recipe: Just like us humans, huskies can pack on extra pounds if they don’t get enough exercise and consume too many calories. So, go easy on foods high in calories (unless your pooch gets plenty of opportunities to burn off those calories).
- Healthy Fats: Winter is coming? Not an issue for fluffy huskies! But did you know that fish oils can help preserve your husky’s lush coat and fend off skin conditions that can leave your pupper dry and itchy? Look for foods with plenty of these fishy oils to keep your husky’s fur glistening and skin healthy.
- Prebiotics and Probiotics: A lot of huskies suffer from sensitive stomachs. Aside from skipping foods made with ingredients that give your pooch issues, you can opt for foods made with digestion-supporting probiotics and prebiotics for forming healthier poops.
Remember, our goal here is to turn mealtime into wellbeing time, so why not see every bite your husky takes as an opportunity to support his overall health?
The 11 Best Foods for Siberian Huskies
Now that you know some of the things to keep in mind when picking a good husky dog food, we can move on to specific dog food recommendations. Check out our favorite husky foods below!
1. Ollie [Best Overall Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents seeking fresh dog food that’s custom crafted for their husky’s unique needs.
About: Consider Ollie your genie in a box, tailoring delightful, pre-portioned meals using a treasure trove of unprocessed, whole animal proteins matched to your dog’s size, activity level, and more. Made in USDA-approved, US-based kitchens, with ingredients sourced from around the globe, Ollie’s meals make their way to your beaming dog via your doorstep. You’ll also find a handy “leftovers” container for easy storage in your fridge.
Whether you have a persnickety eater, a dog with a sensitive tummy, or a canine king or queen who deserves the finest, Ollie is the top contender on our list!
First Five Ingredients: Turkey, Butternut Squash, Turkey Livers, Oats, & Lentils
- Nutritious Human-Grade Ingredients: Ollie’s foods are made with fresh meat, nutritious grains, scrumptious fruits, and vitamin-rich vegetables fit for human consumption.
- High Protein Content: Each Ollie recipe is led by real animal protein, followed by organs, clocking between 35% and 44% protein content (via dry matter analysis).
- Meeting All Life Stages: Every Ollie recipe is formulated by vets to meet the precise nutritional profile established by AAFCO for all life stages, making it suitable for multi-dog families or pups growing up with Ollie.
- Charitable Deeds: Ollie donates 1% of the brand’s proceeds to shelters and rescue organizations.
- Choose Your Protein: With recipe choices of beef, turkey, lamb, pork, and chicken, there’s something for every dog’s particular taste!
- Excused Extras: Ollie rises above the rest by leaving out artificial flavors, preservatives, and by-products, to ensure fewer problems for your furry friend.
Turkey, butternut squash, turkey livers, oats, lentils...,
spinach, blueberries, kale, tricalcium phosphate, salt, salmon oil, taurine, zinc gluconate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulphate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), potassium iodide
- Ollie’s human-grade ingredients offer unmatched quality
- “Leftover” container makes for easy storage
- Ollie gives back by donating 1% of proceeds to dog-centric charities
- Customized for your specific pooch
- Need a subscription to order
- Fresh foods, like Ollie, require refrigeration
2. Wellness Complete Health [Best Dry Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Most happy and healthy adult huskies who just need a tasty, nutritious, and crunchy kibble.
About: Wellness Complete Health Dry Dog Food features top-tier protein at the helm of the ingredient list, which is complemented by a mix of nutritious fruits, veggies, and grains for nourishment and fiber. Best of all, it contains no corn, soy, wheat, or meat by-products that may bother sensitive systems. Packed with antioxidants, this food supports a robust immune system, while omega-3 fatty acids contribute to your furry friend’s skin and coat health.
First Five ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, & Peas
- Joint-Friendly Components: Glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega-3 fatty acids cater to canine mobility, a plus for older dogs and spirited pups needing extra pampering after an energetic day of play.
- Gut-Assisting Probiotics: Wellness Complete features a blend of probiotics to support a healthy digestive system, and aid dogs with sensitive stomachs or recuperating from illness.
- Proudly American: Wellness is produced in the USA, with its ingredient list featuring globally sourced goods from suppliers meeting rigid quality standards.
- Natural Nourishment: Wellness champions natural ingredients from plant, animal, and mineral sources, steering clear of artificial preservatives and colors.
- Safety Above All: All Wellness production facilities satisfy an AA grade for food safety – the highest achievable on the BRC audit scale — assuring that all raw materials and final products undergo routine checks for mold and other potential pathogens.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Peas...,
Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Chicory Root Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic Powder, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- Available in a variety of flavors
- Contains gut-healthy prebiotics and probiotics
- Provides a great balance of quality and affordability
- Made with antioxidant-rich produce
- Exceptionally finicky eaters may not enjoy the taste
- Some pet parents prefer to avoid legumes in their dog’s diet
3. Purina One Classic [Best Wet Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of pickier huskies who need extra enticing at mealtime or seniors with dental issues can benefit from this wet dog food.
About: From beef to chicken, liver, and pork lungs, Purina One Classic’s ingredient list is an absolute carnival of meats. These top-tier ingredients form the lion’s share of the food, winning over your Siberian husky’s taste buds in no time!
Note that many wet dog foods wave the “grain-free” flag, but we recommend owners opt for grain-inclusive options, due to the recent FDA findings about canine dilated cardiomyopathy. That’s why our heart beats a tad quicker for Purina ONE Classic as it embraces healthy grains like brown rice and oatmeal.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, & Brown Rice
- Beefy Bonanza: Top-grade beef is the primary protein in this food, drumming up a meaty symphony that your dog will relish.
- Going Whole Grain: The hearty presence of brown rice ensures a steady supply of carbohydrates for your furkid’s boundless energy.
- Hydration Station: With its ground texture, this food provides your pooch pal with more moisture, supporting kidney health and aiding digestion.
- True to the Core: Purina keeps it pure with zero artificial colors, flavors, poultry by-products, or preservatives, suiting huskies with sensitive systems.
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, Brown Rice, Oat Meal...,
Carrots, Spinach, Egg Product, MINERALS (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Salt, Locust Bean Gum, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)]. H422121; Beef & Brown Rice: Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, Brown Rice, Oat Meal, Carrots, Spinach, Egg Product, MINERALS (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Locust Bean Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)]
- Suits pooches of every size and age
- Includes the unusual yet welcomed presence of brown rice
- Wallet-friendly compared to most other wet food options
- Multi-protein foods can spell trouble for dogs with food allergies
- Like most canned foods, it lacks probiotics
4. Diamond Naturals [Most Affordable Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Husky owners seeking high-quality kibble without the high-dollar price tag.
About: Looking to upgrade your dog’s dinner bowl without cutting a hole in your pocket? Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice is here to save the day! It’s a yummy dry dog food that serves bowlfuls of nutritious proteins, healthy carbs, and veggies without costing an arm and a paw. And guess what? Each bite is packed with glucosamine, making it an absolute treat for your little Siberian husky’s joints.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, & Chicken Fat
- Two Times the Power of Protein: Featuring whole chicken and chicken meal, this food will fuel your doggo’s muscles and keep those happy tail wags going strong.
- Antioxidants Galore: This food is fortified with antioxidant-rich ingredients to help Fido’s immune system run at top dog performance.
- American-Made, Family-Owned: Made with heaps of love and care, this food comes to you straight from a family-owned American company.
- Omega-3s FTW!: Omega-3s are included to pamper your pooch’s skin and give that coat an enviable sheen.
- Au Naturale: Bye-bye, artificial add-ons! This food is all about keeping it real, waving off artificial colors or flavors.
- Probiotics for Content Tummies: With a hearty serving of friendly bacteria (probiotics), your pup’s digestion is in for some special care.
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley...,
chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), grain sorghum, dried yeast, dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
- Provides great nutrition without emptying your pockets
- Joint-supporting glucosamine aids your husky’s frame
- Probiotics and fiber-rich ingredients ensure problem-free digestion
- Not every dog is a fan of the flavor
- Stock issues at times due to the food’s popularity
5. Open Farm [Best Freeze-Dried Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Husky parents looking for transparency will love the traceability of this dog food containing Certified Humane protein and non-GMO produce.
About: Ever heard of the phrase “have your cake and eat it too”? Open Farm Freeze-Dried Raw dog food takes that to heart. Offering a dash of yumminess with a hefty dollop of nutrition, this food features Certified Humane proteins and non-GMO produce. Not to mention, it’s been fortified with the goodness of mineral and vitamin-rich organ meat. Better yet, Open Farm proudly champions eco-friendliness with its recyclable bags. Plus, with an ingredient traceability that’s kudos-worthy, you’ll know precisely what your Siberian husky is munching on and where it’s from.
First Five Ingredients: Turkey, Kale, Carrots, Apples, & Butternut Squash
- Protein Party: A mind-boggling 95% of each bag is brimming with meat, organs, and bones, making this recipe a protein powerhouse.
- Mix it Up: Whether you want to rehydrate and serve it as a separate meal or mix it into your husky’s regular kibble, this freeze-dried food opens up some exciting culinary avenues for your pup.
- Easy-Peasy: Freeze-drying delivers the taste of raw food minus the hassle and worries about shelf stability.
- One Size Fits All: Devised to meet the AAFCO nutrient profile for dogs of all life stages, Open Farm Freeze-Dried Raw caters to your husky’s dietary needs regardless of age.
- Made in the USA: Crafted in beautiful Minnesota, USA, Open Farm food is as American as it gets.
Turkey, Kale, Carrots, Apples, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin, Water...,
Flaxseed, Coconut Oil, Salmon Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Chia Seeds, Chicory Root, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Yeast, Dried Kelp, Turmeric, Cinnamon
- Unmatched ingredient transparency and tracking
- Organ meats pump up the taste and offer a nutritional edge
- Packed with a variety of nutritious fruits and veggies
- Heftier price tag than many competing dog foods
- Inclusion of montmorillonite clay isn’t everyone’s cup of tea
6. Nutro Ultra Weight Management [Best Weight Management Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents with a hefty husky around will appreciate this calorie-conscious (yet tasty) dry dog food.
About: Looking for a magic wand for your furry friend’s weight management? Say hello to Nutro Ultra Weight Management Recipe. With its trio of protein power from salmon, lamb, and chicken, this food gets your Siberian husky on the trim and healthy highway. And hey, because low-cal shouldn’t mean low value, Nutro combines delicious ingredients with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and fatty acids to keep your doggo’s skin and coat looking fabulous. Plus, it has glucosamine and chondroitin to keep joints flexible.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, & Rice Bran
- Protein Blast: With real chicken taking the lead, followed by chicken meal, your pupper gets a pop of protein for strong muscles.
- Grains for Good Health: This grain-inclusive meal plan employs rice and oatmeal for energy and satiety, sure to keep your dog’s tail thumping with joy.
- Non-GMO Delight: Nutro’s non-GMO ingredient list complements the preferences of some pet parents.
- Fruit and Veggie Fiesta: Maintaining your Siberian husky’s weight needn’t mean missing out on fresh produce, with this food boasting a robust mix of dried spinach, blueberries, and apples that are as healthful as they are flavorful.
- Proudly American: Nutro’s commitment to quality is rooted in its USA-made food, assuring top-tier safety and perfection.
Chicken, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran...,
Whole Grain Oatmeal, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Whole Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Kale, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Blueberries, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Selenium Yeast, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.
- Taste wins the approval of most dogs
- Mix of proteins aids lean muscle development and health
- “Superfoods” bolster your husky’s immune system for optimized health
- A few owners mentioned the kibble size was too small
- Multiple proteins might upset huskies with sensitive stomachs or food allergies
7. A Pup Above [Best Dog Food for Picky Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This flavorful food is perfect for picky huskies who refuse to even consider kibble.
About: Got a picky husky? Prepare to meet your dog food hero — A Pup Above. Offering transparency from farm to bowl, this US-made food features ingredients from across the United States, each traceable through a unique lot-tracing number on every bag. It offers a lip-smacking blend of protein, farm-fresh veggies, and carbs (there are both grain-inclusive and grain-free options to choose from). And, get this, it’s slow-cooked using fancy pants sous vide techniques. For your Siberian husky, it’s like dining at a gourmet doggie bistro every day!
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Heart, Sweet Potato, Barley, & Oat
- Vet Approved: A Pup Above goes for gold by keeping all its formulas vet-approved to ensure balanced nutrition.
- Grade-A Ingredients: This brand is all in for using only human-grade components, including USDA-certified meat.
- Bone Broth Bliss: Rich in collagen, bone broth not only adds flavor and hydration but could also strengthen your Siberian husky’s bones and aid digestion.
- Variety is the Spice of Life: Choose from chicken, beef, pork, or turkey recipes, or opt for a sampler pack to keep your pooch’s taste buds guessing each meal.
- Eco-Savvy: A Pup Above walks the extra mile for the environment, donating 1% of revenue to sustainable farming initiatives, championing 100% recyclable packaging, and using less-than-picture-perfect produce to minimize waste.
Chicken, chicken heart, sweet potato, barley, oat, carrot...,
cauliflower, eggs, pork plasma, flaxseed, cranberry, salmon oil, salt, cultured dried skim milk, thyme, parsley, minerals [calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, magnesium oxide], vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid]
- Ingredient tracking system on every bag provides priceless peace of mind
- No subscription is needed to order
- Delicious and nutritious organ meats are included
- Packaging might need some work to make serving easier
- Doesn’t offer as much customization as some fresh food options
8. JustFoodforDogs [Best Limited Ingredient Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of huskies with food allergies or intolerances may find this food beneficial.
About: With a delightful array of fresh, ready-to-serve canine meals, JustFoodForDogs stands out in the dog food universe. They serve a smorgasbord of pre-formulated options and even offer culinary solutions for specific health concerns, like skin conditions or kidney issues.
What sets them apart is their exceptional service: JustFoodForDogs can whip up a dog food formula fully customized to address your Siberian husky’s unique needs — a feat few other dog food manufacturers can claim!
First Five Ingredients: Water, Chicken, Rice, Carrots, Spinach, Apples, & Safflower Oil
- Quality Protein: Every recipe is loaded with human-grade protein and nutrient-packed organ meat.
- Protein Parade: Choose from 6 irresistible recipes, including beef, venison, and chicken-based diets, plus renal, hepatic, and skin-support veterinary-specialty diets.
- Nature’s Best: Each JustFoodForDogs recipe says a big “no” to artificial preservatives and hormones.
- Mmmmm, Tasty Mash: JustFoodForDogs dishes out every meal in an easy-to-eat, drool-worthy meat mash.
- Made in USA: Canine kitchens don’t get more transparent than this! JustFoodForDogs is proudly American made, with kitchens you can actually visit.
Water, Chicken, Rice, Carrots, Spinach, Apples, Safflower Oil...,
Salt, Rice Starch, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cod Liver Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Bitartrate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Taurine, Ferrous Fumarate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Selenium Yeast, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Carbonate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid
- This food is perfect for huskies with unique nutritional needs, such as food allergies
- This food wins a thumbs-up (or should we say, paws-up?) from even the most discerning doggos
- The ingredient quality is among the best of any dog food
- Be ready to spare some fridge or freezer space, as this food needs to be kept cool
- This deliciousness comes at a premium price
9. Taste of the Wild High Prairie [Best Grain-Free Dog Food for Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
If your husky has a vet-diagnosed grain allergy, this grain-free kibble may be right up his alley.
About: Get ready to unleash your Siberian husky’s inner beast with Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Prairie! This high-protein recipe is a delicious mix of roasted bison and venison, feeding your doggo’s wild side. It’s not just about great taste – these proteins fuel your active furball’s muscles. And the goodness doesn’t stop there! Omega fatty acids enhance your husky’s skin and coat health, while probiotics and prebiotics keep his tummy happy.
First Five Ingredients: Water Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, & Peas
- Priority for Protein: Water buffalo is the star of this recipe, with lamb meal and chicken meal in tow, and a supporting cast of roasted bison, venison, beef, and ocean fish meal .
- Bounty of Fruits and Veggies: Think sweet potatoes, peas, and blueberries – all lending a dollop of natural fiber, brimming with antioxidants and more.
- World of Proteins: Expanding the protein menu, Taste of the Wild Grain-Free also treats your Siberian husky to fish, venison, lamb, wild boar, and poultry kibbles.
- Balanced Diet: Maintaining adult canine dietary needs, High Prairie meets the AAFCO nutrient profile.
- Proudly American: Sourced from trusted suppliers across the globe, the ingredients get lovingly transformed into these delightful recipes right here in the USA.
Water buffalo, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas...,
pea flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, roasted bison, roasted venison, beef, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
- A protein-dense diet made just for your energetic companion
- The grain-free recipe can be a plus for pooches diagnosed with grain allergies
- Prebiotics and probiotics cater to better digestive health
- The combination of proteins might not sit well with some sensitive tummies
- The inclusion of peas might raise eyebrows due to potential DCM concerns
10. Merrick Healthy Grains Salmon + Brown Rice [Best for Dog Food for Siberian Huskies with Joint Problems]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners of huskies with arthritis or hip dysplasia can benefit from this recipe’s joint-boosting list of ingredients.
About: When it comes to embracing a balanced diet for your Siberian husky, Merrick Classic Healthy Grains dives right in with its Salmon & Brown Rice recipe. Highlighting a high-quality fish protein (hello, salmon!), this formula offers your pooch much more than strong muscles with the omega-rich profile also waving a magic wand over skin and coat health. Not to mention the grain-inclusive formula that veers clear of questionable legumes, opting instead for wholesome brown rice for fiber, satiety, and energy.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Swim Upstream with Salmon: This fishy flavor bomb offers a river of proteins and omega fatty acids.
- Wholesome Grains Galore: Boasting a medley of brown rice, barley, and oatmeal, this formula caters to the nutritional needs and digestion of dogs of all ages.
- Turn on the Omega: Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, this doggie dish supports a shiny coat and healthy skin for your furball.
- Only the Good Stuff: No artificial preservatives, fillers, corn, or soy appear in this recipe that sticks to pure, natural goodness for your furry friend.
- Joint Power: Packed with glucosamine and chondroitin, this recipe brings better hip and joint health to the table.
- Proudly Made in the USA: Crafting excellence in their own American kitchens, Merrick guarantees top-notch quality control and the finest ingredients.
Deboned chicken, Chicken meal, Brown rice, Oatmeal, Barley...,
- Supplemented with glucosamine and chondroitin for substantial joint health
- Taste is a hit with most doggy diners
- Rich in natural omega fatty acids to support your husky’s skin and coat
- Mixed protein nature not ideal for huskies with food sensitivities
- Not every dog (or owner) is a fan of fishy-smelling food
11. Acana [Best Dog Food for Working Siberian Huskies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
If your husky runs his tail off on the trail or in the agility ring, this food’s a magical match.
About: Whether your husky is pulling a sled or just living his best, active life, ACANA Grasslands keeps him running through every adventure. Comprised of a hearty blend of fresh lamb and duck, this recipe is a protein titan, outshining the protein content in most dry dog foods. If your Siberian husky brings its A-game to playtime or keeps you company during grueling hikes, this high-energy, protein-rich food is exactly what he needs to sustain that gusto.
First Five Ingredients: Lamb, Duck, Eggs, Lamb Meal, & Goat Meal
- Protein Extravaganza: With an awe-inspiring protein level of roughly 38%, ACANA Grasslands satisfies your lively husky with ingredients like lamb, duck, eggs, lamb meal, goat meal, and catfish meal.
- Supreme Ingredients: Incorporating fresh lamb and duck, this kibble offers your husky a diversified protein experience that mimics a natural diet.
- Whole Prey Ratios: Filled with meat, organs, and cartilage, this balanced diet includes 70% animal ingredients and 30% fruits, vegetables, and nutrients.
- Digestion Simplified: Boosted with prebiotics and probiotics, this food will do wonders supporting digestion for your active husky.
- Fruit & Veggie Boost: This dry dog food is infused with fresh fruits and vegetables such as pumpkin, collared greens, butternut squash, apples, and pears that provide essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for a well-rounded diet.
- American Made: ACANA is proudly manufactured in the USA using carefully chosen ingredients from around the globe.
Lamb, duck, eggs, lamb meal, goat meal...,
catfish meal, whole red lentils, whole pinto beans, chicken fat, whole green lentils, whole chickpeas, lentil fiber, pea starch, quail, rainbow trout, duck meal, fish oil, natural lamb flavor, whole green peas, whole yellow peas, lamb liver, duck liver, lamb tripe, lamb kidney, collard greens, salt, dried kelp, zinc proteinate, whole pumpkin, whole butternut squash, whole carrots, whole apples, whole pears, mixed tocopherols (preservative), riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin A acetate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, freeze-dried lamb, freeze-dried duck, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, copper proteinate, dried chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product
- Specially formulated for active and working dogs
- Features freeze-coated pieces that appeal to a multitude of canine palates
- Loaded with both prebiotics and probiotics for a gut boost
- Grain-free recipe a potential concern for some owners
- Cost of this ultra-premium kibble leans on the steep side
General Advice for Picking a Dog Food
When it comes to pleasing your pooch’s palate while keeping their health in check, there are three golden rules we’d recommend any owner — including you, husky parents! — follow:
1. Ensure the food meets the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) nutritional guidelines. AFCO guidelines are your safety net, ensuring that your chosen chow includes all the necessary nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that your dog needs according to its life stage. Checking that your dog’s food follows these guidelines will keep your dog’s health wheel spinning happily as they age.
2. Make your veterinarian your food-guidance fairy godparent. Before you get wrapped up in the world of dog foods, it’s wise to have a chat with your vet who has an expert understanding of your dog’s health history, breed-specific nutritional needs, and any potential dietary restrictions. Your vet can also help you decode those tricky dog food labels and guide you to the best option for your husky.
3. Account for any specific health conditions or concerns your dog may have. Dog food manufacturers often create special formulas for a variety of health concerns, from joint troubles to sensitive tummies. Choose a food that suits your dog’s individual health needs, and you’re one step closer to managing any symptoms and improving your woof’s overall well-being.
The three prime considerations above are your “must-haves” in any quality dog food.
Beyond this, there’s a bunch of other factors that — while not make-or-break — can help you separate the good dog foods from the great!
- Does the brand have a canine nutritionist on board? This is a pro who knows the ins and outs of a dog’s diet and can help whip up balanced and nutritious meals for your Siberian husky.
- How often does the company conduct safety checks? Regular safety inspections mean a company’s manufacturing is hygienic, safe, and uses fresh, harmless ingredients.
- Is the protein component cooked or pasteurized to kill pathogens? You’d want your dog’s protein to be well-cooked or pasteurized to avoid your doggo running into potential health risks.
- Is the dog food produced in a Western country? Production location can sometimes hint at the food’s quality, with Western countries generally having tighter regulations and quality control norms for dog food production.
- Does the brand use ingredients sourced only from Western countries? The place of origin of the ingredients could affect the quality of your dog food. Ingredients from Western countries usually face more stringent quality regulations.
Remember, there’s more to learn about dog food selection in our handy How to Choose a Dog Food Guide. Check it out and get knee-deep in kibble knowledge!
Best Dog Food for Siberian Huskies: FAQ
Still have lingering questions about feeding your husky? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered! Check out some of the most common questions owners have about husky dog foods below!
What is the best food for Siberian husky?
Your Siberian husky needs a diet rich in protein, supplemented with fruits, vegetables, and grains for a balanced nutritional profile. Look for dog food brands that feature a high-quality, whole protein as the first ingredient, and that comply with the AAFCO guidelines. Great dog food brands to consider for your husky include Ollie, Wellness Complete, and Diamond Naturals.
Should huskies have grain-free food?
While some dogs may have grain intolerances or allergies, most huskies digest grains without issue. Always consult with your vet if you’re unsure about your dog’s dietary needs.
How many times a day should I feed my Siberian husky?
Normally, adult huskies should be fed twice a day — once in the morning and once in the evening. Puppies require more frequent feeding, typically three times a day until 6 months old. Always consult with your vet regarding feeding frequency and portion sizes.
Are there any specific health concerns I need to consider when choosing food for my Siberian Husky?
Yes, some Siberian huskies are prone to conditions like hip dysplasia and eye issues. These pups may benefit from dog foods fortified with glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and foods rich in omega-3s for eye health. Always review your dog’s specific needs with your vet before making dietary changes.
Can I feed my Siberian husky a raw food diet?
Some owners choose to feed a raw food diet; however, this should only be attempted under the guidance of a veterinary professional. Raw food diets require careful balance to make sure your husky is getting all the necessary nutrients and to prevent the risk of bacterial contamination.
What should I look for in a dog food for my Siberian husky?
Great food for your husky will first and foremost be balanced and complete. It should have a high-quality source of protein as the main ingredient, carbohydrates from nutritious sources like sweet potatoes or brown rice, omega-3 fatty acids (which come from fish oils and flaxseed), and added vitamins and minerals. Always check that a food meets the AAFCO guidelines for your dog’s life stage.
Remember, your dog is unique and might have specific dietary requirements not typical of his breed. Always consult with your vet before making significant changes to your husky’s diet.
Phew! Who knew huskies were such foodie sophisticates? To recap- quality meats, nutritious fruits and veggies, and just the right portion of carbs to keep your fluff-ball fuelled and fabulous.
We hope this article was as enjoyable as a game of fetch in the snow.
Siberian husky parents, we want to hear your tales (or should we say tails?): What’s your husky’s favorite fill-the-belly mealtime pick? Is it any of our best dog foods for Siberian huskies finds? Share your picks in the comments below!