Put your paws together for our large, lovable fur-friends, Bernese mountain dogs!
These gentle giants have appetites as big as their hearts, and finding the right food to fit those hunger pangs can be an uphill journey, with confusing marketing lingo appearing as boulders in our way.
Don’t worry – we’re here to sniff out the best of the best for your Bernese buddy.
Below, we’ll share the best dog food for Bernese mountain dogs and tips on selecting the right match for your furry friend.
Quick Picks: Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
How to Choose the Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
Recognizing the common health issues that Bernese mountain dogs face is pivotal in selecting the right diet for your fluffy friend. Unfortunately, some of the common health concerns of Bernese mountain dogs (such as cancer) aren’t easy to address via food choice. However, some dog food characteristics may help prevent others from popping up.
As we dig through the dog food options, we’ll shine a spotlight on the specific elements you’ll want to keep an eye out for in dog food to help thwart or manage typical health concerns for the breed.
Here are some things to look for when filling up your pup’s food bowl (and some of the most important Bernese mountain dog health problems to be aware of):
- Joint-Supporting Compounds: Bernese mountain dogs are known to experience various joint problems like hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, and osteochondritis dissecans. Dog foods infused with glucosamine, chondroitin, and other joint-supporting compounds can help ease aches and keep those paws prancing.
- Loads of Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Skin and coat issues are common in Bernese mountain dogs. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can keep their skin healthy and their coat as shiny as a well-licked lollipop! Omega-3s can also help battle joint inflammation.
- Plenty of Moisture: Many Bernese mountain dogs are prone to kidney issues, and a diet with moisture-rich food (such as a fresh or canned option), or even food for kidney health recommended by your vet, could help keep your Berner’s kidneys running like a well-oiled machine. If you do opt for dry dog food, be sure to encourage your Berner to drink plenty of water.
- Formulated for Large-Breed Dogs: Given your Bernese mountain dogs’ considerable growth rate and large adult size, look for dog foods specifically formulated for large breeds to ensure your pet is getting the balanced nutrients he needs – this is especially important for young and fast-growing Bernese mountain dog puppies.
- Plenty of Protein: High-quality protein is a must-have for these muscular dogs, helping them build and maintain lean muscle mass, as well as a healthy physique.
- Reasonable Calorie and Fat Content: Unfortunately, Bernese mountain dogs tend to have a predisposition towards obesity. So, look for foods with a reasonable calorie content and an appropriate fat-to-protein ratio to help keep your pup at a healthy weight. Also, be sure your pupper gets plenty of exercise. Another option is a weight management dog food
- Lots of Antioxidants: To support your Bernese mountain dog’s overall wellbeing and immune health, opt for foods packed with antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E.
We know that’s a lot to think about, but by keeping the things mentioned above in mind, you should be able to help keep your Bernese mountain dog healthy!
The 11 Best Dog Foods for Bernese Mountain Dogs
Now that you know some of the things you’ll need to keep in mind when picking a food for your Bernese mountain dog, it’s time to move on to our specific product recommendations and some of our favorite dog food brands.
There’s a big, Bernese-sized world of dog food out there, so let’s embark on the journey to find the finest fare for your furry friend!
1. Ollie: Best Overall Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of Berners after unrivaled quality and taste will love this slow-cooked fresh dog food featuring human-grade ingredients.
About: Put your paws together for Ollie — a brand delivering fresh, pre-portioned scrumptiousness to your dog’s dish! Comprised of whole animal proteins and minimally processed ingredients, Ollie’s meals hail from USDA kitchens nestled in the USA. Their furry fan-fare is even transported fresh-frozen to your doorstep. Whether your dog’s a picky eater, a digestion-need defender, or a canine king deserving top-of-line-eats, Ollie’s a clear top-dog favorite!
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Oats, Chickpeas, Pea Flour, Chicken Livers, & Whole Dried Eggs
- Human-Grade Ingredients: Ollie uses fresh meat, nutritious whole grains, succulent fruits, and vitamin-rich vegetables fit for human consumption.
- Protein-Packed Goodness: Authentic meat steals the first spot on the ingredient list, joined on stage by organ meats, which further boost these scrumptious recipes’ protein content to an impressive 35%-44% (assessed via dry matter).
- Suitable for All Life Stages: Tailored by vets to align with AAFCO nutrient profiles, Ollie is suitable for all life stages – an ideal choice for diverse-dog families or accompanying your pooch on life’s fantastic journey.
- Contributions to Canine Causes: A big-hearted brand, Ollie bestows 1% of its earnings to rescue organizations and shelters, delivering tail-wags to canines in need.
- Suits Your Pup’s Protein Preference: Whether your Bernese mountain dog favors beef, turkey, lamb, pork, or chicken, Ollie serves them all!
- No Nasty Extras: With a clean menu exempt from artificial flavors, preservatives, or by-products, Ollie dishes out healthful meals without potentially troublesome extras.
Chicken, oats, chickpeas, pea flour, chicken livers, whole dried eggs...,
carrots, sweet potatoes, tricalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, apples, salt, spinach, calcium carbonate, fish oil, sunflower oil, rosemary extract, choline bitartrate, vitamin e supplement, zinc gluconate, potassium iodide, ferrous bisglycinate chelate, copper amino acid chelate, beta carotene (vitamin a), riboflavin (vitamin b2), niacin, cholecalciferol (vitamin d3), cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), calcium pantothenate (vitamin b5), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin b1), potassium citrate, folic acid
- Human-grade ingredients offer incredible quality
- Customizable to your Berner’s unique dietary needs
- Excellent mix of proteins to choose from
- Most dogs are fans of Ollie’s taste and texture
- Unfortunately, a premium food like Ollie comes with a higher price tag
- Requires refrigeration
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed: Best Dry Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
This antioxidant-rich, large-breed food is perfect for Berner owners seeking top-tier kibble with perks like probiotics.
About: Feast your eyes on Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Adult Dry Dog Food, a tantalizing choice for your big ‘ol barker! This well-rounded recipe is packed with L-Carnitine for lean muscle support, teeth and bone-nourishing calcium and phosphorus, and joint supplements glucosamine and chondroitin. Blue Buffalo’s shining stars, the LifeSource Bits, offer a rainbow of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, while omega-3s polish off the meal for skin and coat support.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Meat Reigns Supreme: With Blue Buffalo, protein rules, appearing as the first ingredient spot in their recipes.
- Freshly Picked Focus: Real veggie and fruit goodies like peas, blueberries, and cranberries offer a buffet of fiber and natural antioxidants.
- Variety of Proteins: With options of fish, lamb, or chicken-based recipes, Blue Buffalo makes joyously matching your hound’s palate and dietary needs easy!
- Gut Guardian: Topped up with added probiotics, this dog food supports healthy digestion.
- Homegrown Eats: Blue Buffalo takes pride in their meals prepared in the USA, made using ingredients sourced globally from trusty suppliers.
Deboned Lamb, Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley...,
Pea Starch, Peas, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Pea Protein, Fish Oil (source of EPA-Eicosapentaenoic Acid), Direct Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Potassium Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Potatoes, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Chondroitin Sulfate, Garlic, L-Carnitine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary
- Made with a bounty of high-quality ingredients, including meat, grains, and produce
- Rich in awesome, money-saving extras, like probiotics and glucosamine
- Designed specifically for large-breed dogs like Berners
- Mixed proteins can be a concern for Bernese mountain dogs with meat allergies
- Not every dog likes Blue’s LifeSource Bits
3. Purina One Classic: Best Wet Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Berner pawrents of pickier pups or dental-disordered doggos will find this food’s soft, meaty texture to be a win.
About: Eyebrows rise when Purina shimmies into our list, and we get it – the brand gets a bad wrap in some circles. But banish your bias, folks! Not all Purina picks are created equal, and this one – Purina ONE Classic Beef and Brown Rice – swoops in with quite the superhero swag.
Meat lovers rejoice with an ingredient list showcasing beef, chicken, liver, and pork lungs within the top ingredients, claiming a hefty chunk of the dish’s composition and forming an irresistibly meaty flavor. Additionally, this is one of the relatively few wet dog foods with grains.
First Five Ingredients: Beef, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, & Brown Rice
- Beef Takes Center Stage: This meal directs the limelight to the high-grade beef, plating up a carnivorous carnival for canine connoisseurs.
- The Grain Truth: Complementing the beef is brown rice, a wholesome carb-rich sidekick supporting continuous bouts of playful energy for big balls of joy like your Berner.
- Waters of Wellness: This wet food keeps your woofer well-hydrated, promoting easy digestion and kidney health.
- No Frivolous Add-Ins: The promise of pure ingredients means shunning artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and poultry by-products.
Beef, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, Brown Rice...,
Oat Meal, Carrots, Spinach, Egg Product, MINERALS (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Salt, Locust Bean Gum, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)]. H422121; Beef & Brown Rice: Beef, Chicken, Beef Broth, Liver, Pork Lungs, Brown Rice, Oat Meal, Carrots, Spinach, Egg Product, MINERALS (Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Locust Bean Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7)]
- Texture and taste are wins with most four-footers
- Contains grains, a rarity in wet dog food
- Reasonably priced compared to most wet dog food options
- Mixed proteins may not mesh well for Berners with sensitive systems
- Some pups prefer a more gravy-rich stew-style wet dog food
4. Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice: Best Budget-Friendly Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pup parents seeking the best budget-friendly food will adore this kibble’s commitment to quality nutrition for less.
About: Hitting the sweet spot between quality and affordability, Diamond Naturals dry dog food features top-tier proteins, healthful carbs, and farm-fresh produce, holding its own against alternatives double its price. As an all-life-stages formula, it suits the nutrient needs of puppies and seniors alike, working well in multi-dog families. Bonus: it sprinkles in joint-loving glucosamine, treating your pup’s joints with each crunch.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, & Chicken Fat
- Double Protein Punch: With whole chicken and chicken meal getting the party started, your Bernese mountain dog enjoys a protein party for muscle mightiness and unending tail wags.
- Free-Flowing Antioxidants: Amped with antioxidants from produce, this food aids in your dog’s immune system efficiency.
- Home Cooked in the USA: Proudly crafted in the US by a family-run company, every morsel overflows with wholesome ingredients and love.
- Skin-Coat Splurge: Omega-3s are back on stage thanks to salmon oil, promoting healthy skin and lustrous fur.
- Absence of Artificial Extras: Three cheers for no nonsense! There are no artificial colors or flavors in this pack – just real, honest goodness.
- Tummy-Friendly Probiotics: Probiotic-rich, this kibble caters to your dog’s digestion, helping your Berner’s belly run at its best!
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)...,
grain sorghum, dried yeast, dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live (viable), naturally occurring microorganisms
- Affordable pricing is a major perk, especially when feeding a pup as large as the Bernese mountain dog
- Exploding with bonus ingredients, like probiotics
- All-life-stages recipe can grow with your doggo or feed a multi-pup family, saving you from buying food for each pup’s lifestage
- Novel protein options would be ideal
- Pickier canines may need enticing to give this food a try
5. Nutro Chicken & Brown Rice Large Breed Puppies: Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dog Puppies
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Parents of Bernese mountain dog puppies seeking eats using excellent ingredients will swoon for this grain-inclusive puppy food formulated for large breed barkers.
About: Nutro Natural Choice Chicken & Brown Rice Large Breed Puppy offers a meal designed to satisfy the AAFCO’s large breed nutrient profile for growth. Designed for our sizable friends predicted to reach 70 pounds or more, this diet leads with real chicken, followed closely by protein-packed chicken meal. Notice the grain-inclusive angle? Whole-grain brown rice and whole-grain barley add a filling and energy-boosting touch.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Brewers Rice, & Whole Grain Brown Rice
- Joint Support FTW!: Rich in glucosamine and chondroitin, this dry dog food supports your young pup’s joints, helping him grow into his best Berner self.
- GMO-Free Goodness: This food uses non-GMO ingredients, pleasing many pupper parents after a more natural doggo diet.
- The Omega-3 Advantage: With brain and eye-nurturing DHA, omega-3s from flaxseed and fish oil lend a developmental helping paw.
- Farm-Fresh Sides: Pumpkin and kale add fiber and antioxidants to the mix to support healthy digestion and immune health.
- Cooked in the USA: This crunchy banquet is cooked with pride in the USA using globally sourced ingredients.
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Brown Rice...,
Potato Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rice Bran, Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Kale, Dried Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Designed specifically for large-breed puppies
- Contains a fair mix of produce for natural sourced of fiber and nutrients
- Features non-GMO ingredients, which isn’t easy to find in the dog food world
- Doesn’t contain probiotics
- Taste isn’t a hit with every doggo
6. Wellness Complete Health Senior Chicken and Barley: Best Dog Food for Senior Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pupper parents of senior Berners will appreciate this food’s focus on supporting joints.
About: As our precious canine companions reach their golden years, dietary needs undergo a transition. Wellness Complete Health Senior Chicken and Barley crafts a specially tailored feast to nourish these evolving needs of our silver-haired sidekicks with lean chicken protein, skin and coat essential omega fatty acids, and an extra dose of glucosamine and chondroitin to support the joints of aging amigos. So, your senior fur buddy enjoys round after round of fetch fun!
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, & Peas
- Silver-Age Nutrition: Deboned chicken and chicken meal star as the lead ingredients, and it also includes antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies like blueberries and spinach.
- Grains of Goodness: Healthy grains such as oatmeal, barley, and brown rice are packed in, providing readily digestible energy resources.
- Coating of Omega-3s: This food is made with flaxseed, a source of omega fatty acids important for healthy skin and a shining coat.
- Digestive Support: Prebiotics and probiotics promote smooth digestion, aiming for firmer, healthier pupper poops.
- Nature’s Gold: Made with no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors – it’s top-notch nature only for your senior champ!
- Born in the USA: This dog food carries the Made in the USA badge, ensuring quality control and reliable ingredient tracing.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Peas...,
Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Carrots, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Chicory Root Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Garlic Powder, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- Specially designed to be the unique nutrient needs of senior dogs
- Includes nice bonus ingredients, like probiotics and glucosamine
- Grain-inclusive design fuels your senior from adventure to adventure
- A few pups weren’t thrilled with the flavor
- Some owners prefer to avoid peas in dog foods
7. Merrick Healthy Grains Salmon + Brown Rice: Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs with Joint Problems
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Those with Bernese mountain dogs with joint or mobility concerns can benefit from this food’s rich stash of glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega-3s.
About: Merrick Healthy Grains recipe features a tantalizing blend of salmon and brown rice packed with joint-friendly glucosamine and chondroitin. Crafted with a focus on superior fish protein, this formula doesn’t just fuel your dog’s muscles but also battles inflammation courtesy of the omega-3-rich salmon. And your DCM worries can take a back seat knowing this canine meal is grain-inclusive.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, & Oatmeal
- Savory Salmon Comes First: Headlined by salmon, this formula brings a bountiful supply of protein to your Berner’s food bowl, fueling lean muscle development and health.
- Wholesome Grains: A generous serving of brown rice, barley, and oatmeal fuels your floof and meticulously caters to his dietary and digestive needs.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Galore: The enriched omega-3 fatty acid content ensures a lustrous coat and supple skin for your Bernese mountain dog.
- Straight from Nature: The dog food is devoid of artificial preservatives and unnecessary additives for a more natural mutt mealtime.
Deboned Salmon, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal...,
Turkey Meal, Chicken Fat, Flaxseed, Quinoa, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Apples, Carrots, Organic Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Proteinate, Cobalt Carbonate), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols for freshness, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Citric Acid for freshness, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product
- Glucosamine and chondroitin nourish your Berner’s joints with every meal
- Grain-inclusive nature a plus, especially for pet parents worried about DCM
- Rich in inflammation-fighting omega-3s, benefiting barkers with joint pain
- Mixed proteins can be a concern if your Berner has food sensitivities
- More fruits and veggies would be nice to see
8. JustFoodforDogs: Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs with Food Allergies
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Bernese mountain dog owners navigating food sensitivities will appreciate the limited-ingredient nature of these fresh frozen meat meals.
About: JustFoodForDogs maintains a solid reputation for offering a wide array of fresh meals designed specifically for our fur friends. Not only do they offer a variety of pre-packaged options, they also provide specialized veterinary support formulas to cater to specific needs, such as kidney problems and skin disorders.
What really sets JustFoodForDogs apart in the canine food industry is their pioneering service: They are the only known dog food producer to offer truly customized dog meals, precisely formulated based on your pet.
First Five Ingredients: Water, Chicken, Rice, Carrots, & Spinach
- Mucho Meat: Every recipe includes human-quality protein and organ meat for an extra nutritional punch (and flavor!)
- Variety of Protein Choices: Select from an assortment of 6 recipes, encompassing beef, venison, and chicken-based meals, as well as vet-formulated diets for renal, liver, and skin support.
- Focus on All-Natural: Each specially crafted JustFoodForDogs recipe is devoid of any artificial preservatives and hormones.
- Appetizing Texture: Dog meals from JustFoodForDogs come in a delicious, easy-to-consume meat mash.
- Born and Bred in the USA: Production takes place entirely in the USA, in kitchens that welcome visitors!
Water, Chicken, Rice, Carrots, Spinach...,
Apples, Safflower Oil, Salt, Rice Starch, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cod Liver Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Bitartrate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Taurine, Ferrous Fumarate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Selenium Yeast, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Carbonate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid
- Shorter ingredient list makes avoiding your dog’s allergens easier
- Most doggos love the taste and texture of this fresh food
- Rich in healthy fats, boosting your Berner’s skin and coat health and appearance
- As a fresh food option, refrigeration is required
- Pricing is higher, impacting budgets more than everyday offerings
9. Crave: Best Dog Food for Working Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of active, working woofs will fall head over heels for the higher protein content and rich carbohydrate sources of this crunchy kibble.
About: CRAVE Grain-Free High Protein Dog Food delivers exactly what your pup needs: meals loaded with meat for muscle, tendon, and cartilage support! Leading with lamb as the top protein source (complemented by chicken), this recipe provides a carnivorous feast sure to satisfy the most energetic and hardworking Bernese Mountain Dogs.
First Five Ingredients: Lamb, Chicken Meal, Split Peas, Lentils, & Chicken Fat
- Protein Powerhouse: With lamb starring as the number one ingredient, supported by chicken meal, this recipe focuses on a high-protein diet, boasting a 34% protein content.
- Grain-Free Recipe: This dog food skips grains and gluten, making it a perfect fit for dogs with diagnosed food sensitivities and allergies.
- Skin-Friendly Fats: This recipe doesn’t skimp on essential fatty acids, thanks to additions like flaxseed, benefiting your Berner’s skin and coat.
- All-Natural: Absent of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, you can rest assured knowing your dog is enjoying a natural and tasty meal.
- Alternatives Available: Not a shepherd’s pie fan? Crave also offers fish, beef, turkey, and chicken recipes, all sporting similar protein-rich profiles that suit working woofers.
Lamb, Chicken Meal, Split Peas, Lentils, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)...,
Pork Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Chicken, Pea Starch, Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid (preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
- Meat-rich recipe loaded with protein perfect for active canines
- Alternative carbohydrate sources are great for dogs with vet-diagnosed grain allergies
- Flavor earns tail wags from most doggy diners
- Mixed proteins aren’t a good match for canines with sensitive systems
- Grain-free dog food isn’t suitable for every doggo
10. A Pup Above: Best-Tasting Dog Food for Picky Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Parents of Bernese dogs with picky palates will be delighted with this fresh food’s highly palatable texture and meaty, irresistible flavor.
About: A Pup Above recipes are cooked with sous vide methods, blooming a flavor that will leave even the fussiest of Bernese mountain dogs drooling. Advocating for a transparent farm-to-bowl experience, this American-made food delivers a blend of U.S-sourced ingredients, mapped through a unique traceability code present on every bag. Each packet contains meat, veggies, and a carbohydrate component, with both grain-free and grain-inclusive choices available.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Heart, Sweet Potato, Barley, Oat, & Carrot
- Vet-Crafted Recipes: Every recipe under the A Pup Above brand has been meticulously crafted by vets to guarantee balanced nutrition for dogs.
- Top-Grade Ingredients: A Pup Above sets itself apart by exclusively using human-grade ingredients, including USDA meat, raising the quality bar.
- Beneficial Bone Broth: Delectable bone broth rich in collagen adds flavor while ensuring hydration and potentially promoting your pooch’s bone health and digestion.
- Variety of Protein Recipes: A Pup Above offers chicken, beef, pork, and turkey recipes and even a sampler pack for your dog to enjoy a variety of flavors.
- Planet-Conscious Practices: A Pup Above stands by its commitment to environmental-friendly operations by donating 1% of revenue to sustainable farming practices, using 100% recyclable packaging, and reducing waste by incorporating “ugly” produce.
Chicken, chicken heart, sweet potato, barley, oat, carrot...,
cauliflower, eggs, pork plasma, flaxseed, cranberry, salmon oil, salt, cultured dried skim milk, thyme, parsley, minerals [calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, magnesium oxide], vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid]
- Sous vide cooking methods make for pup-pleasing flavor and texture
- Ingredient traceability is impressive
- Human-grade ingredients offer the best of the best for your pupperoni
- Requires refrigeration, which can take up considerable fridge space when feeding a mega-sized Berner
- Such a top-notch food comes with a higher price tag
Want to know more about this fresh food brand? See our in-depth review of A Pup Above.
11. Zignature Kangaroo: Best Exotic Protein Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners of Bernese mountain dogs sensitive to common meats can benefit from this novel protein kibble.
About: Zignature’s Kangaroo Formula Dog Food is a single-protein kibble that centers around the unique kangaroo meat, potentially a great pick for Bernese mountain dogs experiencing multiple food allergies or sensitivities. This kibble also packs in omega-3 fatty acids to aid in skin and coat health and probiotics to support digestion – an area of concern for many dogs with food sensitivities.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, & Sunflower Oil
- Hop to It: Authentic kangaroo meat rules the roost as the first ingredient in this kibble.
- No-Grains Here: Alternative carbs like chickpeas power your pooch’s playful escapades while supplying dietary fiber and other crucial nutrients.
- Exotic Protein Varieties: If kangaroo isn’t to your dog’s liking, you can opt for other unconventional proteins such as catfish, goat, and venison.
- Taurine Topped: Added taurine bolsters canine heart health, keeping your Berner bouncin’ and boogeyin’ day in and day out.
- All-American: Zignature is produced entirely in the USA, featuring ingredients sourced from trusted providers worldwide.
Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, Sunflower Oil (Preserved With Citric Acid)...,
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A, Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, D‐Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dha, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Calcium Carbonate, L-Carnitine
- Large package counts save money, particularly with large dogs or multi-dog families
- The majority of dogs appear to love the pork-liver flavor
- Several owners note improvements in their canine’s coat health, skin condition, and digestion after regular use
- Some owners aren’t a fan of some ingredients like corn syrup
- A small number of dogs find them unpalatable
General Advice for Picking a Dog Food: Tasty, Healthy Eats!
In a forest of dog-food labels, it’s easy to get lost. But fret not, pup pals!
By simply checking off three boxes, you can be sure that you’ll end up with a great feast for your furry friend – Bernese mountain dog or otherwise.
- Rule 1: Seek dog food that aligns with the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) nutritional blueprints for your pet’s life stage. These hound-specific guidelines ensure your buddy’s bowl brims with all necessary nourishing nosh – vitamins, minerals, and the right nutrients, according to his life stage. It’s the recipe for a happy, healthy, howling-good dog life!
- Rule 2: Don’t peruse pet food options solo – bring a vet on board! Your go-to animal doc knows Rover’s nutritional needs like the back of his or her hand, armed with insights about your dog’s medical story, specific breed needs, and the ins-and-outs of dog food jargon. He or she will be the best guide to navigate the chow-choice waters!
- Rule 3: Got a health hiccup? Find a food that addresses it! If your tail-wagging companion has specific health needs, manufacturers often design diets that will aid his ailments. From joint struggles to sensitive stomachs, they’ve got a foodie fix that not only fills tummies but tackles health glitches, too!
If you satisfy these three rules, you’re essentially guaranteed to end up with a good dog food choice!
Second-Tier Criteria For a Top-Tier Dog Dish
Those fundamental factors always fetch primary focus, but ready for a game of dog food extra-mile fetch? Here are five bonus bread-crumbs you can use to choose a food that’s not only good but wowza-worthy!
- Who’s the hound nutrition mastermind behind the brand? A canine nutrition pro knows the ABCs of a perfect dog dish, guaranteeing a feast that’s flavorful and healthful.
- How often do they do a “paw-patrol” of safety standards? Regular check-ins ensure maximum hygiene and top-notch ingredients, a commitment we love in a food brand.
- Are proteins cooked or suitably pasteurized to remove harmful pathogens? Properly cooked or pasteurized proteins ensure your furbuddy’s meals are safe and savory. Raw dog food simply isn’t safe for your pup or your family.
- Is the food made in the West? The location of the production can speak volumes about food quality standards.
- Are ingredients sourced from Western nations with strict standards? This guarantees your dog is getting ingredients that follow stringent quality norms.
Hungry for more pro tips on how to pick the pupper perfect dish? Head on to our extensive guide on choosing dog food!
Best Dog Food for Bernese Mountain Dogs: FAQ
Still have questions about picking the right dog food for your Berner? We’ll try to help below as we share some of the most common queries owners have about the best dog food for Bernese mountain dogs and similar topics!
What should I feed my Bernese mountain dog?
Bernese mountain dogs are large, energetic pups, who need a balanced diet with tons of high-quality protein and sufficient carbohydrates for energy. A dog food tailored to large breeds is recommended, as well as one that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables for fiber and other essential nutrients.
Just remember that it’s always best to consult your vet for personalized advice based on your dog’s unique health needs.
How often do Bernese mountain dogs eat?
Typically, adult Bernese mountain dogs should eat two meals a day. Puppies usually need to eat more often to support their growing bodies and energy needs, perhaps three to four times a day. As your pooch grows into adulthood, you can transition him to two meals a day
Do Bernese mountain dogs need special food?
While there’s no food specifically designed for Bernese mountain dogs, due to their size and energy levels, they could benefit from food formulated for larger breeds. This will often have the appropriate calorie levels, portion sizes, and nutrients — like glucosamine and chondroitin — that larger breeds need for joint health.
Is salmon good for Bernese mountain dogs?
Salmon can indeed be a healthy and delicious food option for Bernese mountain dogs, as long as it’s cooked and boneless. Salmon is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which can support skin health and provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
Why are Bernese mountain dogs so sweet?
What a great question! Berners sure are syrupy sweet, aren’t they?
Bernese mountain dogs are often sweet-natured because they’re bred for steadiness and good-natured temperaments. They were historically used as working dogs in Switzerland, and a gentle, friendly disposition was favored. Combined with proper socialization and loving care, these dogs are indeed some of the sweetest around. Isn’t that just Bern-utiful?
Whew, that was quite a hike through the land of dog food, wasn’t it?
We hope this guide to the best dog food for Bernese mountain dogs proved to be pawesome and helped you decide the right dog food for your pup. Now, there’s no mountain high enough that your Bernese can’t conquer (at least, meal-wise!).
But hey, what’s your favorite Bernese mountain dog food? Do share your stories in the comments. After all, the dog world loves a good tail…er, we mean tale!