Dog foods can be comprised of several different protein sources – beef, chicken and lamb are undoubtedly the most common ingredients used, but some dog foods contain more unusual meats, like alligator, salmon, turkey or, as strange as it may sound, kangaroo!
Feeding your pup a more unique protein source can provide several different benefits, from preventing allergies to simply adding a dose of excitement to your dog’s daily life.
However, good owners still need to do their homework – whether you’re on the hunt for kangaroo dog food or less exotic choices, you’ll need to research a bit in order to select the best food for your dog’s needs.
Below, we’ll share the best kangaroo dog food options, discuss why some doggos may benefit from a novel protein, and give tips on picking the right kangaroo eats for your floof.
Best Kangaroo Dog Food: Quick Picks
Why Feed Your Dog Kangaroo Meat in the First Place?
I know what you’re thinking: Why on earth would you feed your dog a kangaroo-based dog food? Isn’t that unnecessarily eccentric, like serving sea urchin or tripe to group of school kids?
And for that matter, aren’t chicken, beef and other, more common protein sources much cheaper?
Let’s back up for a moment. Did you know that dogs can develop allergies to proteins in their food? When dogs develop food allergies, it’s often developed in response to a protein that a dog has already been exposed to (like chicken or beef).
If this happens, you need to provide your pup with a different, novel protein source. Because your dog has probably not eaten kangaroo meat before, he is unlikely to experience an allergic reaction to it.
So, yes, kangaroo meat is quite an exotic protein; that’s the entire point.
In fact, it’s one of the more exotic proteins used to make hypoallergenic dog foods. Accordingly, kangaroo is often used as a protein of last resort, for dogs who have not responded well to more common hypoallergenic dog food proteins, such as salmon or turkey.
But exotic meats come at a price, and many kangaroo-based dog foods are more expensive than comparable foods, comprised of more main-stream proteins, like chicken.
However, this is a small price to pay for your furry friend’s health and happiness when they’re suffering from food allergies.
Additionally, kangaroo-based dog foods are usually cheaper than allergy shots and medications, so you’re likely still saving money in the long run.
Selecting a Kangaroo-Based Dog Food
Smart owners need to be discerning about what dog food they buy for their four-legged family members – marketing around dog food can be misleading, and you don’t want to just click on the first dog food you see with a picture of a kangaroo on the bag.
Take the time to sort through the leading options, and select the best kangaroo dog food for your pup – just as you would with anything else you’d buy for your favorite tail-wagger.
Keep the following considerations in mind when selecting the best kangaroo dog food for your doggo:
- Look at Ingredient Lists. Kangaroo meat should be the first ingredient listed in your kangaroo-based dog food. Ingredients are listed sequentially by content, and your dog wants and needs a protein-rich food. The best products often contain additional forms of kangaroo (such as kangaroo meal), listed as the second or third ingredient.
- Avoid Additional Protein Allergens. The best kangaroo dog food doesn’t contain any proteins that are often associated with allergies, such as chicken, beef, lamb, or pork. Including these protein sources defeats the purpose of offering your dog kangaroo meat. Most owners looking for kangaroo kibble want a single-protein dog food to limit their dog’s exposure to other proteins or ingredients that could potentially cause intolerances or allergies.
- Hunt Down Good Carbohydrates, Avoid The Bad Stuff. Kangaroo dog foods should use good, healthy carbohydrate sources like potato, millet, sweet potato, or rice – things which rarely cause food allergies in dogs. They should not contain corn, wheat or soy products, as these ingredients may elicit allergic reactions.
- Extra Vitamins + Bonus Ingredients. The best kangaroo dog food finds are usually fortified with vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids to ensure complete nutrition for your pet. Some products also contain chondroitin, glucosamine, and other ingredients that may help stave off joint problems and arthritis, further raising their value.
- Avoid Dog Food Made In China. As with any other edible product, you offer your beloved four-footer, try to stick to products manufactured in countries with high food-quality standards, such as the United States, Australia, New Zealand, or countries of Western Europe. Avoid products manufactured in Asia.
- Opt Out of Preservatives & Artificial Colors. Because your dog may also allergic to a number of things in her food, try to select products that feature no additives, preservatives or artificial colors. Looking for dog food with limited ingredients is often helpful when conducting a food allergy challenge diet.
The 7 Best Kangaroo Dog Food Finds
The market is rich in dog food options, including kangaroo-centered eats as the novel protein hops more into the mainstream. If you are thinking about switching to kangaroo-based food, consider one of the leading products listed below.
1. Zignature Kangaroo Formula Dog Food [Best Overall Kangaroo Dog Food]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents interested in premium, probiotic-packed kangaroo dog food in an easy-to-eat kibble form.
About: Zignature Kangaroo Formula Dog Food is a corn, wheat, and soy-free kibble designed to provide a balanced diet free of common triggers, suiting dogs with food sensitivities. It’s protein-rich recipe supports your doggo’s muscles, while alternative carbohydrates like peas and chickpeas fuel your floof through fun and add fiber for healthier digestion.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Peas, Pea Flour, & Chickpeas
- Real kangaroo is the primary ingredient, followed close by kangaroo meal for a protein boost
- Omega-3 fatty acids foster a healthy coat and skin
- Meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages, including the growth of large-breed dogs
- Probiotic blend promotes improved digestion, and taurine aids heart health
- Made in the USA using globally sourced ingredients
Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Peas, Pea Flour, Chickpeas...,
- Kangaroo is the star ingredient, followed by kangaroo meal for kangaroo-centered protein
- Alternative carbohydrate sources an ideal choice for dogs with grain allergies
- Great source of probiotics for digestive support
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids for skin and coat health
- Grain-free food isn’t a good match for every dog
- Some doggo diners dislike the taste
2. Outback Kangaroo Feast [Best Dehydrated Kangaroo Dog Food]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet owners seeking a highly palatable, convenient way to offer the perks of raw kangaroo dog food with fewer risks.
About: Outback Kangaroo Feast is a dehydrated, raw-meat dog food that’s gluten and soy-free. The food can be offered as-is, or you can rehydrate it by mixing it with a little warm water before offering it to your pup. This is also a good way to heat it up if your dog prefers warm food, and it works well for pups with dental issues.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Potatoes, Carrots, Coconut Oil, & Tapioca
- Kangaroo is the top ingredient
- Great source of fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, and antioxidants
- Low-temperature cooking and rapid drying techniques eliminate harmful pathogens
- Available in 5 other recipes, including Country Chicken & Apricot and Herbed Lamb & Potatoes
- Made in New Zealand
Kangaroo, Potatoes, Carrots, Coconut Oil, Tapioca...,
- Dehydrated nature is easier to carry and store than bulky bags of kibble
- A safer, more convenient alternative to feeding raw dog food
- Most doggos go gaga for the taste
- As with other kangaroo-based options, this dog food is on the pricier side
- Requires some cleanup, especially if your pooch is a messy eater
3. Zignature Kangaroo Formula [Best Canned Kangaroo Dog Food]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners looking for wet kangaroo dog food that’s easy for dogs with dental woes to eat or to mix into kibble for more flavor.
About: In addition to the dried kibble detailed above, Zignature also offers a canned version of kangaroo-based dog food that can be added as a treat or served on its own. This limited-ingredient dog food is ideal for dogs with allergies or intolerances to more common proteins, like beef and chicken.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Broth, Peas, Sunflower Oil, Carrots, & Chickpeas
- Kangaroo is always the top ingredient
- Savory broth adds flavor and boosts your hound’s hydration
- Meets the AAFCO standard for all life stages, including the growth of large-breed dogs
- Pate-texture is soft enough to mix into food or serve pups with missing teeth
- Made in the USA with internationally sourced ingredients
Kangaroo, Broth, Peas, Sunflower Oil, Carrots, Chickpeas...,
Agar-Agar, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Choline Chloride, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid).
- Soft texture a breeze to mix into kibble and easy for doggos with dental issues to eat
- Single source of protein is an excellent choice for dogs with meat allergies
- Limited ingredient list is a good match for dogs with food sensitivities
- Pickier pooches may prefer a stew texture versus pate
- Pet parents concerned about DCM would rather have a pea-free dog food
4. Walk About Pet Super Premium Kangaroo [Best Kangaroo Dog Food for Overweight Dogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Dog parents of chunky puppers seeking kangaroo-based food with fewer calories per cup.
About: Walk About Pet Super Premium Kangaroo contains slightly fewer calories per cup than other kangaroo-based eats, making it an ideal choice if your woof needs help maintaining a healthy weight. It’s also grain-free and relies on alternative carbohydrate sources in place of traditional rice or barley, meshing well with mutts with vet-diagnosed grain allergies.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Peas, Sweet Potato, Pea Protein, & Pea Starch
- Kangaroo is the main ingredient
- Fresh produce blend provides natural sources of fiber and antioxidants
- Unique texture of kibble and dried produce you can see
- Also offered in Quail and Wild Boar
- Made in the USA
Kangaroo, peas, sweet potato, pea protein, pea starch...,
lentils, flaxseed meal, sunflower oil, carrots, green beans, apples, blueberries, preserved with mixed tocopherols, calcium carbonate, vegetable flavoring, salt Vitamins: (Choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, niacin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), Minerals: (Zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, sodium selenite)
- Fewer calories per serving than most kangaroo dog foods
- Single-protein recipe great for dogs with meat allergies
- Great mix of fruits and vegetables
- Pea-free recipes are preferred by some pet owners
- A few doggos weren’t head-over-heels for the flavor
5. Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples [Best Kangaroo Dog Food for Sensitive Systems]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of sniffers with sensitive systems interested in the benefits of kangaroo dog food in an easily digestible form.
About: Addiction Wild Kangaroo & Apples is a high-quality, kangaroo-based dog food packed with important vitamins and minerals to power your pup! Designed to be easy to digest, this is a great dog food for dogs with sensitive stomachs, as its limited ingredient list sticks to the basics. This air-dried food also shuns grains, meshing well with mutts suffering from vet-diagnosed grain allergies.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Green Peas, Tapioca, & Coconut Oil
- Kangaroo meat is the primary ingredient, reinforced by kangaroo meal for more protein
- Rich in healthy fats for skin and coat support
- Meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages
- Doesn’t contain any corn, wheat, chicken, or potato
- Made in New Zealand without artificial colors or flavors
Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Green Peas, Tapioca, Coconut Oil...,
- Limited ingredient list makes avoiding your dog’s triggers easier
- Grain-free recipe ideal for dogs with vet-diagnosed grain allergies
- All-life-stages recipe perfect for multi-mutt families or growing with your pup
- Grain-free dog food isn’t a good fit for every dog
- Pricing is steep
6. NutriSource Pure Vita Kangaroo & Green Lentils Entree [Best Kangaroo Dog Food for Skin Support]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Doggo parents looking for kangaroo dog food that also nourishes skin and coat health with extra fatty acids.
About: Give your canine’s skin and coat extra support with the omega-3 fatty acids in NutriSource Pure Vita Kangaroo & Green Lentils Entree, a crunchy kibble featuring skin-friendly ingredients like salmon oil and joint-boosting glucosamine. Grain-free and limited in ingredients, it’s also a good match if your mutt has a list of food allergies to navigate.
First Five Ingredients: Kangaroo, Kangaroo Meal, Green Lentils, Red Lentils, & Garbanzo Beans
- Kangaroo is the #1 ingredient, boosted by kangaroo meal for additional protein
- Alternative carbohydrates like lentils and garbanzo beans provide energy and fiber
- Meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages, including large-sized puppies and dogs
- Blend of probiotics promote healthy digestion
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
Kangaroo, kangaroo meal, green lentils, red lentils, garbanzo beans...,
- Good source of skin-supporting omega-3 fatty acids
- Limited ingredient list ideal for dogs with food allergies
- Probiotics give your barker’s belly a helping paw
- No bones about it; this food is expensive
- Grain-free dog food not ideal for every pooch
7. NutriSource Element Series Outback Trails [Best Grain-Inclusive Kangaroo Dog Food]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pooch parents wanting dog food with kangaroo meat that also contains grains and no peas or potatoes.
About: Kangaroo isn’t the star meat in NutriSource Element Series Outback Trails, but it’s joined by lamb, wild boar, turkey meal, and more for a flavor-forward feast that also includes grains — a rarity in dog foods with kangaroo. The food’s also brimming with prebiotics and probiotics, giving doggo digestion a helping hand.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Lamb, Kangaroo, Deboned Wild Boar, Lamb Meal, & Turkey Meal
- Real meat is the top ingredient
- Free of peas and potatoes
- Taurine supports canine heart health
- Meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for all life stages, excluding the growth of large-sized puppies
- Made in the USA with ingredients from trusted global suppliers
Deboned lamb, kangaroo, deboned wild boar, lamb meal, turkey meal...,
- One of the few pea-free, grain-inclusive kangaroo dog foods
- Meaty taste a hit with most doggos
- Rich in prebiotics and probiotics for digestive support
- Mixed proteins not a good match for dogs with sensitive systems
- Kangaroo isn’t the top ingredient, as seen in other best kangaroo dog food picks
- Price tag is up there
FAQ: Best Kangaroo Dog Food
Still have lingering questions or concerns, or are just plain, ol’ curious about kangaroo dog food? Check out the most commonly asked questions about the best kangaroo dog food and their answers!
Is kangaroo dog food good for dogs?
Kangaroo is lean red meat that’s loaded with iron plus high in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and essential B vitamins that make it a great addition to many dogs’ diets. Most importantly, kangaroo is a novel protein that’s often easier for sensitive systems to tolerate, making it a solid pick for pups with allergies to common proteins like chicken.
Who makes kangaroo dog food?
Several brands make kangaroo dog food, including Zignature, Addiction, NutriSource, and Walk About Pet. These are all grain-free foods, though you can also find a grain-inclusive food containing kangaroo with NutriSource Element Series Outback Trails. Just use caution if your dog has protein allergies, as this is a mixed-meat recipe.
Is kangaroo dog food ethical?
In some circles, Kangaroo is a hotly contested protein, but as long as it’s sustainably sourced using humane methods, most see kangaroo as an ethical protein in dog food. Kangaroo is also a more eco-friendly protein than some farm-raised options, such as beef.
Is Zignature Kangaroo grain free?
Yes, Zignature Kangaroo Formula is a grain-free dog food. It uses alternative carbohydrate sources, including alfalfa meal, chickpeas, and peas.
Is kangaroo good for dogs with allergies?
Dogs with allergies to common meats like chicken and beef often eat novel proteins like kangaroo without issue. Dogs with allergies also do well with limited-ingredient diets, free of extras that may trigger sensitivity, such as artificial colors or flavors.
Have you ever offered kangaroo-based foods to your dog? Let us know how it worked for you, and how it was received by your dog. Did she like it? Did she hate it? And perhaps most importantly, did it help stop the problems with allergic itching?
Tell us all about your experiences with our best kangaroo dog food picks and more in the comments below!