fbpx

Help! My Dog Ate an Ant Trap

Ingesting Foreign Objects By Ben Team 5 min read May 24, 2021 6 Comments

Dog Ate Ant Trap
vet-fact-check-box

Of all the things that dogs eat, items containing poisons are often the most troubling.

This includes ant traps – the little plastic doodads many people place under kitchen counters and inside pantries to help address problems with ants.

Luckily, the poisons used in these devices are unlikely to harm most dogs – at least in the quantities present in a typical ant trap.

But that doesn’t mean these pest-control devices are completely harmless, either. They can cause dogs serious health problems, and you’ll want to treat the situation seriously.

We’ll talk about the dangers presented by ant traps below and explain what steps you’ll need to take on your dog’s behalf.

Key Takeaways: My Dog Ate an Ant Trap! What Do I Do?

  • Ant traps can cause problems for dogs who eat them. However, it is usually the plastic housing rather than the poison inside the trap that causes issues.
  • Once swallowed, the plastic may cause lacerations, punctures, or blockages. Any of these eventualities may cause serious health problems, so you’ll want to contact your vet at once if you discover your pet has eaten an ant trap (or any type of plastic, really).
  • Prevent these types of problems in the future by placing ant traps in places your dog can’t reach. Also, you may want to consider investing in a dog-proof trashcan to help keep discarded traps away from your pet.

Your Dog Just Ate an Ant Trap: What Do You Do?

The first thing you’ll want to do when you discover your dog devouring an ant trap is to prevent the problem from getting any worse. Take the ant trap away if your dog is still chewing on it and remove any other ant traps that may be sitting around the house.

Then, grab the box the ant traps came in (if possible) and call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline and follow the advice given. You can also jump on a live chat with a veterinarian from JustAnswer, who should be able to help you assess the situation.

Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a veterinary professional.

Poisons Aren’t the Problem: The Chemicals in Ant Traps Are Unlikely to Sicken Your Pet

Ant traps utilize a number of different poisons to kill their intended targets.

Some of the most common include:

  • Borax
  • Indoxacarb
  • Abamectin
  • Hydramethylnon
  • Lambda-cyhalothrin

These poisons vary in terms of the danger they represent to dogs, but, in almost all cases, the quantities present in an ant trap are too small to sicken your pet.

According to Dr. Scott Nimmo MRCVS, BVMS, “even a small dog would have to eat the contents of quite a few of these traps before there would be any serious toxicity concerns.”

In most cases, your dog is unlikely to suffer anything more serious than minor gastrointestinal symptoms, such as:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • General discomfort

Note that these symptoms are often triggered by the inert chemicals in the trap (the things used to bind and preserve the bait), rather than the poison itself.

You Aren’t Out of the Woods Yet: The Perils of Plastic

Surprisingly, the plastic exterior of an ant trap usually represents the biggest threat to your pet’s health and safety.

Plastic can be very dangerous for dogs. Big pieces of plastic can cause scrapes or cuts to your dog’s digestive tract, or they may even form an obstruction.

When you contact your vet, he or she will likely warn you to watch for signs of such an obstruction. Some of the most common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting (particularly recurrent vomiting)
  • Diarrhea
  • Bloody stools
  • Inability to defecate
  • Straining
  • Obvious pain
  • Anxiety or panic

If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your vet. He or she will likely recommend that you bring your dog in for an examination. If a blockage is identified, your dog may require advanced care or surgery to have the plastic removed.

Some vets may recommend that you feed your dog following the ingestion of plastic. This may surround the plastic in a layer of food, which should help reduce the chances of an obstruction and protect your dog’s insides from any sharp edges.

How Do Ant Traps Work?

Ant traps are pretty simple devices. They consist of a plastic housing which contains a bit of poisoned food on the inside.

Foraging ants stumble upon the trap, grab a bit of the poisoned food, and take it back to the nest, where it is shared with the rest of the colony.

The poisons used are generally relatively slow-acting so that the ants have time to bring back a significant quantity of food to the nest before they die.

Why Do Dogs Eat Ant Traps?

There are two basic reasons many dogs decide to munch on ant traps.

1) They smell tasty. Most ant traps contain some type of smelly food, such as peanut butter or bread crumbs, which is intended to attract the attention of ants. However, many dogs also find the odors emanating from these traps interesting and decide to give them a taste.

2) Dogs investigate things with their mouths. Dogs encounter ant traps while wandering around the house, and, as they do with many other novel things, they often decide to check out the unknown item with their nose and mouth. This often leads to them licking and chewing the trap, and some will even swallow the trap during the process.

Safe Use of Ant Traps In a Dog-Friendly Household

Although ant traps do represent a small danger to your pet, that doesn’t mean you have to stop using them entirely if that’s how you decide to deal with your ant problem.

Instead, you’ll just need to exercise care when doing so.

The most important thing to do is to place the traps in places your dog can’t access them. Don’t place them under your kitchen cabinets; instead, place them inside the cabinets. Don’t place them on the floor of your pantry; place them on one of the shelves your dog can’t reach.

It’s also important to make sure you dispose of old ant traps properly. This may mean purchasing a dog-proof trash can, if your dog likes to go digging through the trash.

   

You certainly don’t want your dog to eat an ant trap, but they rarely cause serious problems for most dogs. And when problems do occur, they are usually caused by the plastic, rather than the active ingredients.

It’s still an event that should spur you to contact your vet, but your dog will likely be fine.

Has your dog ever eaten an ant trap? What happened? Share your experience in the comments!

dog ate tampon
Recommended For You

Help, My Dog Ate a Tampon! What Do I Do?

Written by

Ben Team

Ben is the senior content editor for K9 of Mine and has spent most of his adult life working as a wildlife educator and animal-care professional. Ben’s had the chance to work with hundreds of different species, but his favorite animals have always been dogs. He currently lives in Atlanta, GA with his spoiled-rotten Rottweiler named J.B. Chances are, she’s currently giving him the eyes and begging to go to the park.

Dog

Join our pup pack!

Get tons of great dog training advice and tips about gear!

Mailbox

6 Comments

Leave a Comment

Name
Email Address
Comment
Mika Rawson

My 4 mo. Old Pomeranian, shih tzu, chihuahua mix puppy who weighs maybe 4 lbs if that. I found a Terro ant killer bait trap on my couch one end chewed open and ant killer liquid on my couch cushion not sure if she ingested any of it. Daisy was fine all night this morning she got up shaking and kinda hacking not her usual self. Told by several different people including pet poison control several different things. So after doing some quick research and found that she probably had not ingested enough to hurt her, but give her tummy ache and the runs. But what could hurt her is the plastic more than anything.

Reply
Ben Team

Hey, Mika.
It is usually the plastic that causes the most trouble with ant traps. But we’d still recommend giving your vet a call just to be on the safe side.
Best of luck!

Reply
Elizabeth Lampman

Thank you so much for this quick info. My little dog did not even get into the poisen pod inside of the trap, but he did puncture it. I was so scared. This web site is wonderful. He had no ill effects from the ant trap but I won’t leave one out again.

Reply
Ben Team

Thanks for the kind words, Elizabeth!
We’re glad your pooch is OK!

Reply
NAR

I just caught my dog with one in his mouth. It wasn’t punctured but still terrified me. This really helped put me at ease and I have now removed all other traps so it cant happen again.

Reply
Judah

Thanks, I actually ate this not my dog, but I figured it would be the same sorta thing.
Hopefully I won’t die haha lmao xd

Love you
Lets go lads

Reply

Also Worth Your Time