Dog backpack carriers are just the thing for when you’re on the move with a dog that may not be able to keep up. Check out this selection of top-rated dog carrier backpacks for your convenience.
Note: All items listed here are dog backpack carriers that are supported by your back. Because of the strain put on your shoulders and back, this style of carrier is only recommended for those with small dogs whose weight can easily be supported.
Looking for the other kind of dog backpack – the kind your canine carries? Check out our full article on dog saddle bags!
Dog Backpack Quick Picks:
|Carrier||Our Rating||Core Benefit||Max Weight||Price|
|K9 Sports Sack||Ideal for hiking, sports||40lbs||$$$$|
|Dog Around Town" Canine Backpack||Light & Cheap||10lbs||$|
|PetAmi Deluxe Dog Backpack||All-Purpose Pack||18lbs||$$|
|Outward Hound Pooch Pouch||Front-Facing Pack||20lbs||$$$|
|Pet Gear Roller Dog Backpack||Wheels For Rollin'||20lbs||$$$|
Continue reading for more in-depth reviews
9 Best Dog Backpack Carriers
1. Zanies Casual Canine Backpack Carrier
About: The Zaines Casual Canine Backpack Carrier is a highly rated, mid-priced dog backpack carrier that can function as an airplane in-cabin carrier, or works just as well for gallivanting around town!
- Hands-Free Pet Carrier – Take your pet with you wherever you go with this backpack pet carrier...
- Optional Mesh Tent – Equipped with a front side that zips open to create a mesh tent area so your...
- Rugged, Lasting Design – Constructed to last with 100 percent polyester with self-locking zippers...
- Added Storage – Includes extra side storage pockets for housing treats, toys, medical records,...
Features: The Zaines Casual Canine backpack’s front can be zipped open into a mesh tent area, giving your pooch more space to move about in.
The pack’s side storage pockets mean plenty of spots to store your pup’s odds and ends, from poop bags and leashes to treats and chews!
This backpack carrier’s mesh side door offers extra ventilation, while the removable mat can be tossed in the wash for cleaning.
SIZING: Suitable for small dogs less than 22lbs
PROS: Small dog owners love this dog backpack for its ease of use and especially enjoy expanding screened mesh section.
CONS: Some reviewers find the straps too thin and wish for a waist strap to help stabilize the dog backpack carrier.
2. Mogoko Comfortable Canine Backpack
- ❤Size M: backpack height--13.1",(your pets back length should be close to 13.1 inch, allow ±1.0...
- ❤Durable & Comfortable Material: Made from breathable mesh and polyester fibre, lightweight and...
- ❤Adjustable Straps & Interior Drawstring: Adjustable padded straps help to reduce the burden....
- ❤Padding Panels & Removable Bottom Cover: With EPE foam padded back and sides, reducing the burden...
About: The Mogoko Comfortable Canine Backpack is a portable and ultra-affordable dog backpack carrier from Think Of The Floofs that’s suitable for small and extra small canines.
Features: The Mogoko Comfortable Canine Backpack is constructed of solid materials and features a center hole for your dog to pop his head out of!
The inside of the carrier contains an attachment that can be connected to your dog’s harness to keep him firmly inside the pack, as well as handy side pockets for quick storage. This backpack canine carrier comes in four fun and bright colors to match your style.
SIZING: Suitable for toy breeds or very small dogs only (less than 10lbs).
Owners love allowing their dog to poke his or her head out of the dog carrier backpack’s hole.
This dog carrier backpack is only suitable for very small (less than 10 lb) dogs.
3. K9 Sports Sack Air Plus
About: The K9 Sport Sack Air Plus is a high-end adventuring backpack designed to let you take your dog hiking, biking, or on any other activities you enjoy.
Features: This vet-approved adventure carrier is one of the few dog backpacks available that can hold a dog up to 40lbs – finally, a pack suitable for larger-sized dogs!
The K9 Sport Sack also boasts wide, pressure-relieving straps and a padded back for the owner’s comfort, as well as ventilated sides for breathability and and five different safety fail-safe measures to keep your dog secure and safe on your journeys.
The pack’s 20mm bottom rest pad and neoprene-lined leg holes ensure your pup’s comfort, and the K9 Sport Sack comes in three sizes specifically designed for different dog sizes, from short and squat to long and lean.
Plus, it has side storage pockets for your gear and even a detachable storage bag to add more of your adventuring-essentials.
SIZING: Several sizes, with a max weight of 40lbs.
4. Outward Hound Pooch Pouch Front Facing Dog Carrier
- HANDS-FREE, PADDED STRAP PET CARRIER: The PoochPouch Front Carrier is ideal for carrying smaller...
- BREATHABLE & DURABLE: The PoochPouch Front Carrier is designed with lightweight, mesh fabric that...
- INTERIOR SAFETY HARNESS: Clip your pup's harness into the interior safety harness and gently cinch...
- EXTRA STORAGE FOR ESSENTIALS: The Pooch Pouch Front Carrier features everything you love about your...
About: The Outward Hound Pooch Pouch Front Facing Dog Backpack relies on a front-facing design that allows you to take your dog out and about while keeping him front and center. It’s an affordable pack fit for any owner’s budget!
Features: The Outward Hound Backpack Carrier features lightweight, water-resistant nylon fabric that is durable yet still cozy for your canine.
The backpack bag is designed to have a drawstring top and ventilated sides to give your dog plenty of air while keeping them secure. The padded shoulder and waist straps are fully adjustable and help distribute your dog’s weight evenly over your back, adding stability and comfort for the owner.
This bag comes in two sizes – small (6.5″ L x 10″ W x 8″ H) and medium (8″ L x 11″ W x 10″ H). It’s also available in blue and grey colors.
SIZING: The small version is suitable for dogs around 5lbs, while the medium works well for dogs under 20lbs (although realistically, more like 10lbs. Not ideal for tall dogs, as this carrier is short and wide.
Owners like the ventilation, padding, and durability of this dog backpack carrier.
Some buyers have difficulty selecting an appropriately sized bag for their pet. While the medium sized bag says it can hold dogs up to 20 lbs, reviewers note that their pets could not fit.
5. Pet Gear Roller Dog Backpack
- Five products in one; carrier, car seat, backpack, roller bag and tote
- Included tether can be attached to your pet's harness for extra safety
- Telescoping handle stores out of the way just like a suitcase
- Sides can be expanded to add 3 inches of additional space; features two side storage pouches for...
About: The PetGear Roller Dog Backpack is a mid-to-high priced dog backpack on wheels that’s ideal for adventures and trips out of town!
Features: The PetGear Rolling Backpack is actually five products in one, as it can be used as a dog carrier, dog car seat, backpack, roller bag and tote.
The rolling dog carrier offers a telescoping handle, just like a suitcase! The sides can also be expanded for an extra 3 inches of space when your dog needs a bit more elbow room.
There’s an inner tether that can attach to your pooch’s harness, as well as a removable inner mat that can be taken out and washed easily. The backpack also has two side storage pouches that let owner easily access their dog’s necessities.
This backpack comes in several colors – take your pick!
SIZING: Various sizes, suitable for pets 20lbs and under.
The impressive functionality (between serving as a booster seat, carrier, and roller bag) and durable material.
Some complain the dimensions and weight references are misleading, as the official measurements refer to the outside of the bag (including the wheels), rather than the inside of the carrier. Some reviewers complain that the bag is uncomfortable.
6. Petsfit Comfort Dog Carrier/Backpack
- DOG CARRIER BACKPACK DIMENSIONS: With roomy space,This Petsfit pet backpack dimension is 13.5"L x...
- KEEP YOUR PET COMFORTABLE:Our dog backpack equipped with a firmly reinforced structure to prevent...
- KEEP YOUR PET SAFE:The dog backpack carrier adopts durable lockable zipper (in opening) and a...
- REDUCE SHOULDER WEIGHT:This dog backpack carrier comes with shoulder strap, waist and chest buckle...
About: The Petsfit Carrier/Backpack is a mid-priced product that features chest and waist straps so that you can better bear the weight of your four-footed hiking partner.
Features: This bag is designed for pets up to 15 pounds and includes a tether to keep your pet securely inside.
There are 4 mesh windows so your pet can get some fresh air as you hike. You can also easily open the top zipper so your pup can stick his head out. A zipper in the bottom of the bag allows for easy cleaning.
The straps are well-padded. A chest strap and waist strap help distribute the weight of your pet more evenly across your upper body.
SIZING: Suitable for small dogs under 15lbs
Pets enjoy all the zippers which let them poke their head out to look around during a hike. Owners love how comfortable this bag is to carry.
Some owners expressed concern about the strength of the zippers, particularly the one along the bottom of the bag. They also thought some extra storage compartments would be useful.
7. Nicrew Front Dog Carrier
About: The Nicrew Carrier is an inexpensive, well-made option which allows you to carry your dog on your chest instead of on your back.
- NICREW dog carrier backpack is designed for carrying small dogs/cats, and highly recommend for puppy...
- The dog front backpack is made from breathable cotton and polyester fibre, durable and comfortable....
- Adjustable wide straps with elastic design in neck of the dog backpack allows for sufficient...
- There are 2 ways to wear. The hands-free backpack can be worn on your front or back, making you to...
Features: The Nicrew carrier comes in 4 sizes: small (for dogs up to 5.5 pounds), medium (5.5-9 pounds), large (9-15 pounds), and extra-large (15-22 pounds).
This bag features 1.5 inch-wide, padded straps for your comfort. The straps crisscross across your back (or chest, if you prefer) and can be buckled in and out quickly.
Your dog rests in a breathable mesh carrier with his legs and tail free to move. There are velcro tabs which make it easier for you to get your pup in and out of this carrier.
SIZING: Suitable for dogs of max 22 lbs and under (different sizes for different weights available)
Pets feel secure in this carrier and owners loved where they could go and what they could do with their pet in the carrier (crowded festivals, whale watching tour, and bike rides, to name a few).
Some owners were worried about the velcro coming undone. Others were dissatisfied with the fit, so it is important to carefully measure your pooch before choosing a size.
8. PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpack
About: The PetAmi Carrier Backpack is great quality with a very reasonable price tag, and even comes with a collapsible water bowl on a keychain!
- Designed for the maximum convenience and comfort for you and your pet while hiking, traveling, or...
- YOUR PET WILL TRAVEL IN COMFORT: Well ventilated design for optimal airflow, two-way entry for easy...
- DESIGNED WITH SAFETY IN MIND: Equipped with a firmly reinforced structure to prevent itself from...
- SUPERIOR COMFORT, FIT, AND CONVENIENCE: The back and shoulder straps are equipped with extra thick...
Features: This carrier backpack is made of polyester and comes in a variety of colors. The sides are reinforced, creating a solid structure measuring 12.5”x10.2”x16.3”, enough space for a small pup to move around a bit.
The sides have mesh windows. The front mesh window can be zipped down to give your pet a better glimpse at his surroundings. The sides zip open completely. The interior bottom is lined with sherpa (the same material used in many dog beds).
The bag has thick backpack straps and also has thin chest and waist straps to help take some of the weight off of your back. For your convenience, there are 3 exterior storage pockets.
SIZING: Suitable for small and medium-sized dogs up to 18bs.
Nearly all customers were satisfied with this product, commenting on how well-constructed and sturdy it is. Some remarked that it is very convenient for airplane travel.
Some pet parents complained that their pup was too tall for the bag, so you may want to measure your dog carefully before purchase.
9. Texsens Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carriers
About: The Texsens Pet Carrier Backpack is a bit pricey, but has a unique design and is an especially great option for owners who need a carrier that is airline-friendly.
- Pet carrier dimensions：12.4" L x 9.1" W x 14.6" H. Fits pets up to 9 pounds cat and 7 pounds dog....
- Backpack material: The main material of the backpack is canvas which is more transparent and...
- Semi – sphere window ：Besides all the functions of the regular pet carriers, This Unique patent...
- Add a unique function: The semi-sphere has two conversion mode，the plastic shell the backpack can...
Features: This carrier has reinforced sides made of synthetic leather and comes in several different colors. The bag measures 12.99”x9.05”x15.74” and can be used comfortably with pups up to 8 pounds (although an 11 pound dog can fit).
The bag has a small ventilation screen on either side of the bag and several air holes. It features a bubble window (diameter 6 inches) in the front. This window can be removed and replaced with a screen window (sold separately).
There are two ways to carry this bag; you can use either its thick padded backpack straps or the sturdy handle on top of the bag.
For your pooch’s comfort, there is a removable, washable pad in the bottom of the bag.
SIZING: Suitable for dogs 8lbs and under.
Seeking to Save Cash? The “Up & Away” Dog Backpack from Think Of The Floofs is basically the same product as the Texsens carrier, but cheaper (although fewer color options)!
Owners were, overall, very satisfied with their purchase, finding it to be durable enough to hold their pets while traveling, and cute to boot!
Most people who reviewed this product bought it for a cat. That said, it is still an appropriate carrier for a small dog and the few dog owners who purchased it were content.
For other styles of pet carriers, check out our posts on dog purse carriers, dog slings, and dog bike baskets.
That concludes our list – have you tried any of these dog backpack carriers? What was your experience?
May 26, 2020
I have a growing dachshund puppy. I purchased and love my Timbuktu 2 dog carrier back pack. It’s well made and comfy for me and pup. It has a waist strap for me. I hike daily w my big dog and love to bring puppy along. Timbuktu’s 2 is a located in San Francisco. I love supporting local small companies.
April 25, 2018
Looking for a two compartment backpack for our two small dogs. A separate compartment for each dog
March 6, 2018
Hi does anyone has an idea how to travel a pet international? I am searching trhu internet gain a lot but i need more to those who travelled with their pet already. thank you. How old should be the dog can travel, how much does it cost. Will travel to Germany of 19 april 2018 and I need to know what are the requirements and precautions I need to do. My dog is 12 weeks old. Please any idea. Thank you.
March 6, 2018
Hi Rosie – I suggest you check out our guide to airline approved pet carriers, as that may help you with some of your questions. Requirements vary depending on the airline, so no one can help you much without knowing what airline you’ll be flying with.
February 16, 2018
Hi, Thank you for reviewing this bags, have you heard of the timbuk2 Muttmover bag? Can you possibly do an updated review including that bag in comparison to these ones?
July 18, 2017
This was really helpful. I have an senior, 5lb. dog who can not hike but I hate to leave him at home so I end up not going myself. I have a few questions:
#1 Zanies – Is the zip-open mesh tent area firm or does the extended part bend downwards?
#2 Wacky Paws – 1 commenter mentioned that it gets really hot in the pack. Does it have ventilation?
July 18, 2017
Jaymi – seems to me the Zanies mesh tent are definitely bends down, since it can be collapses back up or down depending on how you’re using the section. As far as ventilation, it doesn’t seem to have much. Probably not the best pick for hot weather. I suggest checking out what folks say on Amazon – those reviews are often very helpful.
June 13, 2017
Thanks for the write-up. I was looking around on Amazon but your reviews were way better and saved me a lot of time. Thank you very much!!
June 13, 2017
Happy to help James! 🙂
February 1, 2017
These are nice & a good idea. But what if you have 2 pets of similar or same size? It’s unfair to take one out & leave the other behind.
February 1, 2017
Good question Richard! I haven’t seen a two pet dog backpack carrier yet, but will keep an eye out for one!