When you get down to it, there are two, and only two, reasons you want a canopy bed for your dog.
You either want an outdoor dog bed that provides some shelter from the elements, or you are simply interested in giving your pretty little princess accommodations befitting such a beautiful little Bichon (who can blame you?).
Fortunately, fanciness is only a click away. Modern dog owners have a variety of fun and great-looking canopy beds from which they can choose, and there are even a few good choices for those seeking canopy beds for the shelter they provide.
Canopy Beds: Quick Picks
- Pick #1: K&H Elevated Dog Cot — This durable pet bed is not only well made, it is ready for indoor or outdoor use. It is also easy to transport, making it a great option for traveling owners.
- Pick #2: LittleDove Teepee Dog Bed — One of the cutest beds on the market, this bed is also well-built, and it even comes with a chalkboard to display your pet’s name!
- Pick #3: Best Pet Supplies Coral Fleece Tent Bed — A great option for owners who want a pre-assembled, machine-washable canopy bed, this is also one of the most affordable options available.
What Do You Look for in a Good Canopy Dog Bed?
If you are just looking for a canopy dog bed to spoil your pooch, you really only need to worry about your dog’s safety, her comfort, and the aesthetics of the bed.
This means looking for beds that are well-built, provide a proper and comfortable surface on which your dog can lay (although some canopy beds are sold without the actual bed), and are designed in a way that makes you smile.
On the other hand, if you are looking for a canopy bed to protect your dog from the sweltering summer sun, you’ll need to consider these factors and several others.
For example, you’ll want to ensure the canopy bed you choose uses a breathable fabric and elevates your dog off the ground. This will allow more air to pass beneath your dog, keeping her much cooler than she would be if laying directly on the ground. The use of breathable fabrics or mesh will further help your dog shed excess body heat.
If you simply want a raised dog bed without the additional shading feature, you may also want to consider an elevated dog bed, which provides ventilation by keeping your pooch of the floor, but does not feature an overhang.
Additionally, most owners looking for a canopy bed that provides relief from the heat will appreciate beds that are portable. This way, you can take your dog’s bed with you to the pool or on vacation.
1. K&H Elevated Dog Cot
About: The K&H Elevated Dog Cot gives your dog a chance to lay down in the shade, and look good while doing so. Made with breathable materials, this bed is a perfect place for your pup to hang out in the summer.
No products found.
- Canopy design offers shade while elevated mesh design cools your dog through improved air circulation
- Sturdy frame can hold dogs up to 150 lbs
- Easy to set up and disassemble
- Simple to clean – just wipe down with a wet sponge!
Several pet parents were surprised by easy the bed is to put together, and were also impressed by the bed’s durability, even against digging and scratching dogs.
Some owners who tried to use this bed with large dogs found that the seams began to split apart after a short period of time, so it may not be ideal for those with dogs over about 60 or 70 pounds. However, most owners had no issues, even with larger dogs.
2. Furhaven Cuddle Nest Bed
About: The Furhaven Cuddle Nest Bed isn’t a traditional canopy bed, but it may be a great choice for some dogs and owners. Unlike many other canopy beds, which provide a lot of space between the mattress and the top, this bed gives pets a cozy little spot they can crawl into and feel secure.
- Made with an orthopedic support foam core and a microvelvet interior
- Cover is removable and machine washable
- The Furhaven Cuddle Nest comes in four sizes, ranging from 18″ to 44″
- Available in eight different color combinations
Most owners loved the Furhaven Cuddle Nest Bed. The majority of owners who tried it found that it was well-made, and that their pet enjoyed using it. The bed’s reasonable price point also elicited plenty of praise, and most owners felt that it was a great value.
The only common complaint about the Furhaven Cuddle Nest was that the plastic tube included would not adequately support the canopy. This caused some dogs to simply lay on top of the canopy, rather than crawling under it.
3. LittleDove Teepee Dog Bed
About: If you are solely interested in the aesthetic (and potentially comedic) value of a canopy bed, you should definitely give the LittleDove Pet Teepee Bed some consideration.
While not a canopy bed in the traditional sense, these teepee dog beds are absolutely adorable! Note that the base version of the teepee bed does not come with an actual bed, so you’ll need to provide your own. Or you can choose a variation that does include a cushioned bottom bed for a bit more.
- Multiple size options – are 24″ and a 28″
- Made from durable cotton canvas and pinewood poles
- Doubles as a great place to keep your dog’s toys when company comes over
Most owners adore the this teepee bed and can’t get over how cute the design is. Many dogs took to the teepee quickly and soon began sleeping inside regularly. It appears to be especially valuable for dogs who like to “hide” under chairs, tables, and other items.
The most common problems owners experience with the teepee bed relate to assembly – some owners are just not able to put it together properly. Some of the more timid dogs also become frightened of the teepee bed and refuse to enter it.
4. Best Pet Supplies Coral Fleece Tent Bed
About: The Best Pet Supplies Tent Bed is a one-piece canopy-style bed that is perfect for owners who want a covered bed that doesn’t require any assembly. You can simply take it out of the box and let your pup enjoy!
- Made with soft polyfoam stuffing for your canine’s comfort
- You can choose from three different cover materials: faux suede, linen or corduroy
- Available in six colors and three different sizes
- The entire bed is machine washable — just toss it in with the rest of your laundry.
The Best Pet Supplies Coral Fleece Bed received very positive reviews from the majority of owners who tried it. Dogs appear to love using it, most owners liked the way it looked, and it appears to retain its shape well after being machine washed.
A few owners reported that it appears to run a little small, so you probably want to opt for a slightly larger size than you normally would.
5. Creation Core Romantic Canopy Bed
About: The Creation Core Romantic Canopy Bed is an adorable — and fairly elaborate — bed that comes with several neat extras. This bed may be a little fancier than some owners would want, but others will undoubtedly find it irresistible.
- The bed can be removed and washed when necessary
- The bottom surface of the bed is waterproof to help protect your floor from accidents or spills
- Available in three sizes, ranging from about 20″ x 17″ to 25″ x 18″
- The curtains can be lowered, which will allow them to function like a mosquito net
- Available in blue, yellow, and pink
There weren’t a lot of owner reviews available for the Creation Core Canopy Bed. However, most owners appeared to like the bed, and we certainly think it is adorable.
This bed requires assembly and no instructions are included. This may cause problems for owners who aren’t adept at figuring these types of things out.
Do you provide your dog with a canopy bed? Do you do it to give your pup a shady place to hang out, or is it simply for the adorable factor? We’d love to hear about your experiences with different canopy beds in the comments below.