Quick Picks: Best Dog Beds For Small Dogs
- Brindle Memory Foam Dog Bed [Best Memory Foam] Features 3″ of shredded memory foam for relieving joint pain, plus several small sizes to choose from!
- Snoozer Cozy Cave Small Dog Bed [Best For Nervous Dogs] This covered cave-style dog bed provides comfort and security that’s perfect for more timid dogs.
- Blueberry Microsuede Dog Bed [Most Colorful] This bolster dog bed provides comfortable cushioning for your little one, with the bonus of coming in several bright, fun colors and patterns!
- OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler [Best For Cuddlers Under 25 Lbs] This rounded donut-style bed super soft and luxurious, ideal for dogs that like to curl and cuddle up when they sleep.
- Shark-Shaped Pet Cave Bed [Best For a Laugh] This hilarious shark dog bed will have your pup snoozing between the jaws of a great white! Definitely the best bed for a chuckle.
Dog owners want to provide the best for their pets, from food and toys to a special spot that they can call their own.
When it comes to choosing a pet bed, there’s no one-size-fits-all, especially for small breed dogs.
To find the best dog bed for a small dog, you need to consider what makes a small dog different from a medium to large size dog, along with what your dog’s personal tastes and preferences are.
What to Look for When Choosing a Dog Bed
- Size. Most humans will take a king size bed over a full size bed any day, but dogs don’t think like us. Smaller dogs like to feel safe and secure in their sleeping spot. Avoid oversized cushions made for larger dogs, and look for styles with raised sides or bolsters that will create a cozy sleeping area for your pup.
- Comfort. Some small dogs don’t have much padding or fur on their bodies, making it uncomfortable for them to sleep on the hard ground or a very firm pet bed. If your dog doesn’t find the bed comfortable, he or she will refuse to sleep in it and may try to sleep on your sofa or bed instead (and wouldn’t that be a waste).
- Type Of Filling. Selecting the right filling will help with the overall comfort of a dog bed. Filling type is also important to consider if you or your dog are sensitive or allergic to certain materials or fibers. The most common fillings for dog beds are beads, spun polyester, and memory foam.
- Cover Fabric. Every dog is different and has different habits, so select a cover fabric that is right for your specific pet. Do you need heavy duty fabric for a dog that digs or burrows? A fabric designed to withstand a dog with a chewing problem? Consider these things when making your purchase.
- Washable Materials. Every dog can get dirty and stinky, and that dirt and odor transfers to their dog bed. Being able to remove and wash the bed cover, instead of spraying with fabric refreshers, is an ideal solution to this problem.
Best Dog Beds for Small Dogs: Reviews & Ratings
Based on our findings, we’ve found these to be great dog beds for little pooches.
Any of these beds would make a fine choice for keeping your petite canine comfortable – see what sounds best and consider your dog’s individual behavior and preferences for choosing the perfect bed!
Check out our quick guide, or scroll below for more detailed reviews.
1. Brindle Memory Foam Dog Bed with Removable Washable Cover
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases...
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 24" X 18" Dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and...
- Soft micro suede Cover can be removed and laundered - machine wash cold To hot with bedding on...
Other features include:
- Layers of shredded memory foam for maximum comfort
- Great for reducing pressure on bones and joints
- Soft microsuede cover
- Removeable cover can be machine washed and dried
- Lightweight; easy to move or take with you
Pros: Dog owners who purchased this item report that their dogs (and cats, and even toddlers) love this bed. It is a winner in terms of comfort and holds its shape well.
Cons: Some customers who purchased this small dog bed found that the removable cover didn’t stand up well to multiple machine washings. If your dog regularly gets filthy, this could be an issue for you.
2. Grey Shark Bed for Small Dogs
This Shark-Shaped Pet Cave Bed is a whimsical option for dog owners with a sense of humor. Suitable for both small dogs and cats, this is a functional dog bed that also makes a great conversation piece.
No products found.
- Designed for pets up to 8 lbs
- Inside pillow is removable and washable
- Features oversized bolster that surrounds sleeping area
- Anti-slip bottom
Pros: The cave bed design provides a sense of privacy and security that dogs and cats love. Many reviewers say that their pets took to this bed quickly and that it has become a favorite sleeping spot. Plus, seeing your dog in this shark’s mouth is just adorable.
Cons: Some customers found this bed to be a tight squeeze for their small pets, so purchase this item only if you have a toy breed or similarly tiny dog.
3. Sheri OthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler
This OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler is like a pocket for your pooch! Small dogs can climb over the soft sides to access the sleeping area. The design features a high back support and lower front edges that your dog can rest her head on.
- SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: The Standard size bed is perfect for small cats, dogs, and other pets up to...
- MOVES WITH YOUR PET: From cuddling to sprawling, our luxury dog beds are flexible and pliable enough...
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: Quick and easy to clean pet owners will love that our dog mattresses...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Rest assured that our puppy beds are made only with skin-friendly and pet-safe...
- Designed to comfort and support small animals
- Sherpa fabric provides softness and warmth
- Intended for dogs weighing up to 25 pounds
- Machine wash and dry
- Available in 6 different colors
Pros: As the name suggests, the sleeping area is deep and provides a tight, secure spot that dogs appreciate. The feeling of security and saftey makes this bed an especially good pick for nervous or timid dogs.
Cons: Packaging seems to be the biggest issue with this dog bed. Some customers found that the bed would not lay flat or form to its intended shape, due to how the product was packaged for shipping.
4. Snoozer Luxury Cozy Cave Bed
This Snoozer Cozy Cave Small Dog Bed is the picture of coziness, with its fleece lining and micro-suede outer cover. It’s a great dog bed for small dogs that need a sense of security.
- Sherpa lining for warmth in winter and cool in summer
- Removable washable/dryable cover
- Luxury microsuede cover
- Heavy duty rust proof brass zipper
- Sherpa fleece lining
- Removable & machine washable cover with zipper lining
- Ideal for dogs that like to burrow
- Available in +30 colors and 4 different sizes
Pros: Owners note that this bed comes stuffed with a lot of filling. You can choose to have a large fluffy cushion, or unzip the liner and remove a little stuffing to suit your pet’s desired comfort.
Cons: Some customers who purchased this item were disappointed that the “cave” opening didn’t stay up in the back, as shown in the photos. Other customers reported that their dogs weren’t bothered by this at all.
5. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) The SOLID 2.5 inch MEMORY FOAM in our orthopedic dog bed...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Small dog bed base & bolsters provide optimal support, comfort, & security. (ii)...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) The Certi-PUR-US Memory foam used in our orthopedic dog bed for small dogs has NO...
- IDEAL FOR SMALL DOGS AS WELL AS CATS: (i) 25 x 20 x 5. 5 inch. Can easily hold 50+ pounds. (ii)...
The PetFusion Dog Bed is designed for small dogs, but can hold up to 50 lbs, so you could use it for two small dogs if necessary. It also has plenty of space for dogs that like to sprawl out.
- Bolster surround to keep dogs feeling cozy
- Non-skid bottom keeps bed from sliding around
- Water-resistant, tear-resistant, and machine washable outer cover
- 4 inches of quality memory foam for canine comfort
Pros: The memory foam is ideal for older dogs or dogs that have joint issues like arthritis.
Cons: Selecting the correct size can be tricky, and some owners have had difficulty estimating the correct size for their pet. When in doubt, order one size larger than you think you need.
6. Blueberry Pet Premium Microsuede Bed
- External dimension 25"x 21"x 10", internal dimension 14"x 11.5"x 5.5", weight 6 Lbs; Please add...
- This sophisticated bolstered dog bed will be delivered with Rolled up cover. Unwrap the cover and...
- Made of thick microsuede fabric, scratching-resistant. Filled with 100% Recyclable eco-friendly...
- Microsuede soft cover is fully removable and washable. The durable YKK zips makes it easy to unzip...
The Blueberry Microsuede Dog Bed is a bolstered, overstuffed small dog bed perfect for petite pups! As an extra benefit, you even get a bonus “squeaker” pillow for your dog! Additional features include:
- Bolstered sides for back and neck support
- Heavy duty microfiber cover
- Cover and lining are fully removable, machine washable
- Available in 4 color choices and 2 different sizes
Pros: The heavy duty outer fabric can withstand multiple machine washes with successful results.
Cons: Even though the cover is made of heavy-duty fabric, several reviewers stated that their dog was able to chew through it.
That concludes our evaluation of the best dog beds for small dogs. These beds are just the thing for miniature canines.
What’s your favorite petite dog bed for little pooches? Any suggestions not listed here? Share your top picks for small dog beds in the comments!
Want more tips on tiny dog care? Be sure to check out our guides on: