Every dog owner is familiar with the muddy-paw problem. And as much as we love our dogs, cleaning up paw prints after every walk can get tedious.
Luckily, there are a number of dog doormats that can help clean off your pooch’s paws before he even steps on the floor or carpet.
Below, we’ll explain how dog doormats work, point out the things you’ll want to think about when picking one, and share a few of our favorites.
In a hurry? Just check out our quick picks below!
Best Dog Doormats: Quick Picks
- #1 Dog Gone Smart Dirty Dog Doormat [Best Overall Dog Doormat] — Featuring one of the highest moisture-absorption rates on the market, the Dirty Dog Doormat will quickly clean and dry Fido’s paws and help keep your floors clean.
- #2 My Doggy Place Doormat [Most Size & Shape Options] — If you want to make sure your new doggie doormat matches the aesthetics of your home and the space you have available, this is probably your best choice.
- #3 iPrimio Dog Doormat [Best Budget Pick] — Even those of us on tight budgets need clean floors! The iPrimio Dog Doormat provides an excellent and affordable solution for muddy paws.
Why Should You Use a Dog Doormat?
Dog doormats help cut down on messy floors by wiping away dirt and moisture from Fido’s paws.
Unlike traditional doormats, most doggie doormats are constructed with more individual fibers than typical doormats, and each fiber is usually made from a plusher material. Both of these factors help the mats make better contact with your pup’s paws.
While it’s unlikely that a dog doormat will remove 100% of the dirt and moisture from your pooch, doormats can help you cut back on mess significantly.
Moreover, having a dog doormat can make your home environment more hygienic. Dogs can track all kinds of bacteria and fungi into your home. Doormats can help keep these germs outside and away from your living areas and furniture.
Things to Think About When Buying a Dog Doormat
Here are a couple of factors to take into consideration when picking out the perfect pup doormat for your needs.
- Absorption: You’ll want to make sure your doormat is super absorbent, especially if your pooch frequently gets wet feet during outdoor adventures.
- Non-Slip Bottom: This will help your mat stay in place and also ensure that Fido is secure when he passes over it.
- Machine Washable: You’ll have to clean your doggie doormat occasionally, and machine washable models make things much easier. If your dog is constantly getting into messy adventures, this should be a priority.
- Durability: You’ll want your dog doormat to be super sturdy for handling lots of daily foot and paw traffic.
- Materials: Dog doormats should be constructed with moisture-wicking fibers that are still flexible enough to get in the nooks and crannies of Fido’s paws.
- Aesthetics: Who doesn’t want a cute mat to match your sense of style? You may want to take your home’s color palette into consideration when picking out a dog doormat.
The Five Best Dog Doormats
Here are some of our favorite dog doormats to keep Fido’s feet looking fresh.
1. Dog Gone Smart Dirty Dog Doormat
About: The Dog Gone Smart Dirty Dog Doormat has a high absorption rate to wick away moisture from your pup’s dirty paws.
- Our mats have a GSM abosrption rate of 3000 that is higher than our competitors with a GSM from 900...
- The only mats to use the heavy "Gripper Non-Skid" backing on the bottom to prevent skidding and...
- Constructed with double basting and even stitching for rugged durability and long lasting use
- The microfiber strands dry five times faster than ordinary doormats
- Features a grippy, non-slip backing to keep the doormat properly in place
- Machine-washable design for easy cleanup
- Constructed out of soft microfiber strands that are gentle on paws
- Comes in your choice of 13 different colors and features an adorable pawprint design
- Available in several sizes, ranging from 23″ x 16″ to 60″ x 30″
Overall, this mat received glowing reviews from most owners. Several loved how easy this doormat was to wash and clean, and others appreciated the non-slip backing which kept the mats in place.
There just weren’t many complaints about this mat. A few owners didn’t feel that it was quite as effective as they’d have liked, but these types of comments were pretty rare.
2. Internet’s Best Chenille Dog Mat
About: The Internet’s Best Chenille Dog Mat is a high-quality microfiber doormat that features two cute paw prints.
- SOFT & ABSORBENT TOP: designed with high quality microfiber to absorb more water while also drying...
- NON-SKID BOTTOM: helps keep the doormat in place keeping you from having to straighten after each...
- CLEAN FLOORS/CAR FLOORS: microfiber bristles help trap dirt and mud from your pup’s paws keeping...
- EASY CARE: dog doormat is machine washable.
- Gentle microfiber material is absorbent and dries quickly
- Machine washable
- Non-slip backing helps keep the mat in place
- Available in two sizes: 35″ x 25″ and 60″ x 30″
- Comes in your choice of grey, tan, or brown
Most owners loved this mat and explained that it was not only absorbent, but that it was easy to keep clean too. Several also mentioned that this mat tended to stay in place better than some other mats on the market.
There weren’t a lot of complaints about this mat, but a few owners did report that it wasn’t particularly durable. Also, it appears important to shake the mat out thoroughly before washing, as it traps a lot of dirt, which can end up in your washing machine.
3. Soggy Doggy Doormat
About: The Soggy Doggy Doormat features a cute bone design and will keep your pup’s paws in pristine condition.
- Superabsorbent Microfiber Rug Mat — Fuss no more about wet and muddy paw trails inside your home!...
- Quick-Drying and Odorless — Smelly dog door mats ruin your home’s whole vibe. Our Soggy Doggy...
- With Non-Latex, Anti-Slip Backing — Does your hyperactive dog keep displacing your dog rugs? Our...
- Designed For Long-Term Use — This dirty dog door mat is purposely created for energetic and messy...
- Can be machine washed and dried
- Comes in 10 different color options and can be purchased without the bone pattern
- Comes in two sizes: 60″ x 36″ and 26″ x 36″
- Plush, microfiber chenille doormat
- Non-slip backing
- Holds up to 7 times its weight in water or liquid
Owners were impressed by how absorbent this doormat was and noticed a difference in how many pawprints were left around the house. The rug was super easy to wash and dry, leaving the rug fresh and odorless after a thorough clean.
A couple of users noted that the color of the mat seems to fade slightly over time. Some reviewers found the bone-embossed design to come out over time in small threads, so it may be wise to opt for the solid color option.
4. My Doggy Place Microfiber Dog Door Mat
About: The My Doggy Place Microfiber Mat is an absorbent doormat that comes in a couple of unique sizes to fit comfortably in just about any space.
- Dog Mat for Muddy Paws: 5X the GSM absorption rate of regular mats. Soaks up mud, water and dirt...
- Practical & Durable: Anti-slip mat with rubber backing for added traction and better grip. Features...
- Perfect Indoor Doormat: Ultra-smooth floor mat is perfect for use in any room of the house. Use as a...
- Machine Washable: Our runner rugs are available in a variety of sizes and colors. Machine Washable...
- Comes in several shapes and sizes, ranging from 22″ x 37″ to 96″ x 24″
- Durable double-stitched microfibers keep the doormat in-tact even with regular use
- 14 different color options each with an embedded non-slip backing.
- Long fibers dry quickly
- Can be machine washed and dried
Dogs seemed to love the feel of this mat and even used its soft surface for the occasional nap. The simple design makes the doormat a great pick for any home, and the microfibers noticeably reduce mess in the home.
Some owners found that the non-slip backing tended to lose its grip after a couple of washes. A couple of reviewers improvised by putting a rug mat underneath this doormat to keep it firmly in place.
5. iPrimio Dog Extra Thick Micro Fiber Pet and Dog Door Mat
About: This ultra-absorbent doggie doormat by iPrimio soaks up debris and moisture, and features an affordable price tag.
- Comes with a separate waterproof liner
- Made with soft microfibers for gentle paw cleansing
- Absorbs moisture, dust, and dirt
- Available in one size: 32″ x 19″
- Embedded non-slip backing to help keep the mat in place
Owners loved how easy this rug was to maintain with its machine-washable design. Moreover, the absorbent rug’s included waterproof liner helped protect floors from super-wet doggos.
Some reviewers found the embedded paw design very difficult to distinguish in person. A couple of owners found that the mat needed readjustment every now and then since it would move out of place.
Training Your Dog to Use a Dog Doormat
Here are a couple of steps to get your dog used to drying their paws on a doormat.
1. Give your dog time to familiarize himself with the mat on his own time. If you notice him interacting with the mat in any way (i.e sniffing, sitting on the mat, etc.) reward him with a small treat or praise.
2. As your dog becomes more accustomed to the mat, move it to your desired location. Typically, this will be in front of a door, but you can use it anywhere you want to protect your floors and keep them clean.
3. Every time you come in from a walk, have your pooch walk on the mat. Reward your pooch when he does by showering him with treats or praise.
4. Have your pooch walk back and forth on the mat to release as much dirt and moisture as possible. This is part of the reason it is wise to purchase the largest mat you can.
It’s likely going to be difficult to teach your dog to actually wipe or rub his paws on the mat, but even just walking or spending time on the mat can help cut back on mess in your home.
Just note that we said difficult, not impossible.
Note that doormats can also be used as a part of a dog drying routine. For a more thorough clean, have your pup sit on the mat. Then, you can gently rub his paws with paw wipes, or a wet towel and then a dry one.
Dog Won’t Use a Doormat? Try These Alternatives!
If your dog isn’t a fan of doormats, you may want to try out one of these alternatives to keep your home pawprint-free.
Booties are a great way to keep your pup’s paws clean and protected. Not all dogs enjoy wearing them, but for those who take them in stride, they provide a great way to keep your floors clean.
2. Paw Wipes
Disposable paw wipes are great for wiping off your pup’s paws. While you’ll likely have to purchase these regularly, the wipes are great for traveling or car trips since they are so portable.
For dogs who don’t like having their feet touched, using a couple of good doggie towels might be the most comfortable option. Wipe off your dog’s paws gently with a wet towel and then dry with another dry towel.
4. Paw Washers
Paw washers are small devices that individually clean paws. The washers are filled with fresh water and sometimes a bit of mild soap.
Essentially, you dunk your dog’s paw into the washer, swish around the water to ensure a thorough clean, then remove the paw. You can dry the paw afterward if you like, but it’s not necessary.
Paw washers can be kept by your front door, but they also come in travel sizes for portable use.
Can You Use a Regular Doormat?
While you can use a regular doormat to try and cut back on paw debris, there are a couple of reasons that a dog-specific doormat will be more effective.
- Soft Bristles: Dog doormats are made with super soft bristles that will feel great on Fido’s feet. This may make it easier to train your dog to walk or spend time on the mat.
- Bristle Spacing: The bristles of dog doormats are spaced out in such a way that it’s easy to clean in between all the nooks and crannies of your dog’s paws.
- Non-Slip Backing: Most dog doormats are built with a non-slip backing of some sort since it’s likely your pooch will inadvertently jostle the mat while drying his paws at some point or another.
- High Absorption: Doggie doormats have high absorption rates to quickly wick away moisture from your pup’s paws.
- Easy To Wash: Your doormat is bound to get dirty at one point or another. Dog doormats are easy to clean, sometimes even machine-washable, so that you can always have a super clean entryway.
Taking our dogs on long walks and adventures can be one of the best parts of having a furry best friend by your side. Dog doormats make that experience only more sweet by reducing the amount of cleanup you’ll have to do later on.
Have any of these doggie doormats worked for your home? What’s your paw cleaning routine? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!