Does your mutt make mealtime a mess? Many furry friends are messy eaters which can lead to extra cleanup, and potentially present hygiene issues if left unchecked.
Fortunately, you can eliminate these issues by sliding a dog food mat beneath your pup’s food and water bowls.
We’ll share a few of the best dog food mats on the market below — and point out two kinds you should avoid — so that you can make post-dinner cleanup a breeze.
Best Dog Food Mat: Quick Picks
- #1 Gorilla Grip Silicone Mat [Best All-Around Dog Food Mat]: Our favorite overall product in the category, this dog-safe food mat is designed for prolonged durability and ease of use.
- #2 AUDWUD Silicone Dog Food Mat [Most Affordable Dog Food Mat]: Made of dog-safe silicone and available in several colors, this is the best budget-friendly dog food mat around.
- #3 Navy Not Mat [Best Personalized Dog Food Mat]: These neoprene mats not only work fantastically, but they can also be customized with your dog’s name!
Reasons You Should Be Using a Dog Food Mat
There are plenty of reasons to use a dog food mat for your canine companion. A few of the very best include:
- They can help eliminate mess. The biggest draw of dog food mats is that they can cut down on the after-dinner cleanup for either wet or dry foods. Whether your furry friend likes to enjoy his meal enthusiastically or you have one of those special pups that like to play with his food bowl, these mats can make doggie dinnertime a much smoother process.
- They can protect your floors. Dog food mats protect your floors from water damage or scrapes from a metal bowl. They’ll also help prevent wet food bits from sticking to the floor, where they may harden into place.
- They’ll keep your dog’s bowl in place. It’s all too easy for a dog food or water bowl to slide around on your floor, making it challenging for your furry friend to enjoy his food. A food mat can help food bowls stay firmly in place while he chows down.
- They keep kibble contained. Whether you prefer stainless steel dog bowls or ceramic food dishes, some dogs are just determined to scatter kibble all over the house. Some dog food mats can help prevent your dog’s food from rolling under the fridge or sliding under the oven.
Things to Look for in a Dog Food Mat
In order to get the most bang for your buck, it’s important to keep a couple of factors in mind while looking for the perfect food mat for Fido. Here are some considerations you’ll want to think about while shopping for a mutt food bowl mat.
- Size: Your mat for your doggo should be large enough to accommodate both his food and water bowl, with a little extra space for any dinnertime droppings. You should also take the time to measure out where you envision the food mat going to make sure it fits properly in your kitchen without obstructing anything.
- Material: Ideally, your dog food mat should be made out of waterproof material to mitigate messy eating or drinking. At the very least, your mat should be easy to clean and stay in place while your pooch is stepping on it. It should be pretty durable too, since your dog will use it on a daily basis.
- Care Instructions: Always make sure you pick a mat that’s easy to clean. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to find a mat that’s dishwasher safe — most of them are.
- Style: Your dog’s food bowl mat will take up a corner of your kitchen, so it’s worth seeing if you can find one that matches your décor. You can also seek out mats that are personalized for your precious pooch.
- Price: Thankfully, most dog food mats are fairly affordable. With that in mind, it may be worth it to pay a couple of extra bucks up front since your dog will be using his mat constantly.
The 9 Best Dog Food Mats
Without further ado, here are some of our favorite dog food mats to keep kibbles contained. Make sure you have the dimensions of your dog’s food bowl spot ready so you can determine whether or not each choice is a good fit for your home.
1. Gorilla Grip Silicone Feeding Mat
About: Gorilla Grip’s silicone feeding mats are sure to exceed all of your feeding mat expectations — it’s incredibly durable, easy to clean, and its waterproof design will protect your floors from food and water. The mat also has an ⅛-inch raised edge to prevent your canine’s kibble from rolling off the mat.
- This mat comes in 5 different sizes to suit big and small pups alike
- Slip-resistant silicone has a textured surface to keep everything in place
- Waterproof, dishwasher-safe design
- Raised edge helps prevent kibble or liquid from falling on the floors
- Choose between 19 different color options
- Owners appreciated the numerous sizing options making these perfect mats for big best buddies and fun-sized furry friends alike.
- These ultra-durable mats withstanded daily use without issue.
- Pet parents noted that this mat helped the food and water bowl stay put while in use due to the mat’s slightly textured design.
- There were few critical reviews for this fabulous food mat, but we will admit it’s probably not the most beautiful dog food mat on the market.
- Some pooch parents found that this slid around a bit on hardwood floors.
2. AUDWUD SIlicone Mat
About: AUDWUD offers a reliable waterproof mat that won’t empty out your wallet. Note that you may be able to find some cheaper alternatives, but none offer this combination of low price and quality. This mat comes in a variety of color options, and it is dishwasher safe.
- Anti-slip silicone mat has a small handle for easy pickup
- Choose between medium, large, and extra-large sizes
- The raised outer border prevents liquid and food from spilling on your floor
- Dishwasher-safe mat comes in 10 different color options
- Flexible mat can be rolled for simple storage
- Pooch parents were impressed with the durability of this mat. The mat even survived some nibbles from mischievous puppies.
- Owners noted that the edge of this mat prevented kibbles from rolling around the house.
- The affordable mat has a convenient pawprint handle that makes it very easy to lift and clean after the end of the day.
- Some owners found this mat to be thinner than expected.
- A couple of pooch parents noted that pet hair tended to get stuck to these mats.
3. The Navy Not Mat
About: If you’re seeking a more personalized option for your pooch, this stylish selection from The Navy Not is a great choice. These mats can be customized with your dog’s name and come in several different styles. The neoprene mats are easy to clean with a quick wipe, and they can be machine washed.
- Neoprene food mat with non-skid backing
- Comes with a personalized design featuring your dog’s name
- Choose between 44 different layouts
- Mat is easily cleaned in the washing machine
- Rubber backing helps keep the mat in place
- Pet parents absolutely love how cute these personalized mats are, making them an especially good choice for multi-pet households.
- Owners found these mats easy to wipe clean in between full machine washes.
- Sturdy mat stays put while in use and contains crumbs with ease.
- Some pet parents didn’t like the neoprene material.
- The mat is best suited for small to medium size furry friends.
4. AsFrost Dog Food Bowl Set
About: If you’re looking for a mat-and-bowl set, this molded kit from AsFrost is worth considering. The included stainless steel bowls fit within the mat’s molded compartments to keep them from scooting around.
- Molded food mat set includes two metal dog bowls
- Choose between 12- and 27- ounce sizes
- Solid mat comes in pink or black colors
- The mat is dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Bone-shaped design is super cute
- The embedded bowl design helped keep the mat in one place while in use, which was a huge perk for most pet parents.
- Pet parents were impressed with the value of this set. The included food and water bowls held up well to daily use.
- The deep lip on the edge of the mat helped to keep spills contained.
- If you have a big best buddy, the predetermined bowl sizes may not work for you since the included bowls can only hold up to 3.3 cups or 800 milliliters of food or water.
- The bone-shape design of the mats may leave less wiggle room for food droppings compared to other mat options.
5. Bone Dry Pet Mat
Bone Dry Pet Mat
Machine-washable fabric mat with an adorable paw print design.
About: This Bone Dry fabric mat is perfect for owners who’d rather have an absorbent mat, that’ll quickly wick spilled water. The microfiber mat comes in several adorable patterns and in small, medium, or large sizes to meet your darling doggo’s needs.
- Lightweight fabric mat comes in two different size options
- Absorbent mat protects hardwood floors
- Choose between 4 different patterns and 13 different color options
- Textured, non-slip packing
- Pet parents were impressed with this mat’s absorbency and tendency to handle spilled water with ease — especially for the super affordable price.
- Some dogs seem to prefer the soft texture of this fabric mat over other silicone or neoprene mats.
- Owners loved how easy these microfiber mats are to clean and appreciated the cute customization options.
- The fabric mat may be more of a hassle to clean if it becomes soiled with wet food.
- A couple of owners found that the mat became somewhat misshapen after a couple of washes.
6. Amazon Basics Silicone Mat
About: If you just want a basic, effective food mat that skips the unnecessary bells and whistles, this Amazon Basic’s silicone mat is a superb pick. The waterproof mat keeps messes contained with a solid design that doesn’t call too much attention to itself.
- Anti-slip edge helps keep messes contained without obstructing furry friends
- Waterproof design protects floors
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleanup
- Silicone placemat comes in solid black, blue, or grey
- Choose between two sizing options
- Owner’s appreciated this mat’s simple yet sturdy design — it just works.
- This mat certainly gets the job done in terms of protecting the floor and keeping food and water in place.
- While not THE cheapest mat, it is available at a very affordable price.
- Some owners found that this mat developed indentations after regular use.
- A couple of canine companions were able to flip over this mat.
7. Hoki Waterproof Mat
About: Hoki’s waterproof mat has high lips preventing spillage or wandering kibbles. The silicone mat is dishwasher safe and has a non-skid backing so that it won’t mark up your floors.
- Choose between 5 different sizes and 21 solid color options
- Raised outer lip helps keep messes contained
- Durable silicone design
- Waterproof mat is super easy to clean
- Flexible, lightweight design
- This mat is well-suited for furry friends of all shapes and sizes with 5 different sizing options.
- The number of size and color options was a hit with owners.
- This mat seems to stay well put while in use.
- Some owners found that although the mat protected the floor, it sometimes retained water stains itself
- A couple of pet parents wished that this waterproof mat was thicker.
8. Super Design Mat
About: If you’ve got a bone to pick with your messy mutt, this bone-shaped mat from Super Design will help you keep the peace. The silicone mat is waterproof, dishwasher safe, and has convenient raised edges to prevent unexpected spills.
- Adorable bone-shaped mat comes in scads of color and style options
- Flexible silicone mat is waterproof
- Raised edges help keep spills contained
- Dishwasher-safe design
- Non-slip backing helps keep the mat in place
- Pet parents loved the functionality and aesthetics of these bone-shaped mats.
- The flexible, lightweight food mat was easy to clean in the dishwasher.
- Some owners noted that their previous super-chewers didn’t attempt to pick up and play with this mat.
- Some owners wish the edges on the side of the mat were slightly higher.
- The thin design may not be as durable as some others.
9. Dirty Dog Doormat
Dirty Dog Doormat
Absorbent microfiber mat perfect for keeping your canine clean in a variety of situations.
About: This Dirty Dog Doormat can also double as a food mat for Fido. The absorbent microfibers soak up any excess moisture and debris, and the mat is machine washable for convenience. Choose between 13 different color options to match your mutt’s personal sense of style.
- Impressive 3000 GSM absorption rate
- Comes in small, medium, large, and runner sizes
- Gripper non-stick backing keeps your multipurpose mat in place
- Machine-washable design
- 13 different color options
- Owners loved the sheer versatility of these Dirty Dog doormats.
- Pooch parents were happy with how durable these mats were for daily use.
- The mats were great at trapping crumbs, dirt, and excess moisture.
- This mat’s microfiber design is more difficult to clean than a flat, silicone mat.
- Some owners noted that some of the mat’s microfibers shed in the wash, so you might have to wash the mat in its own load.
Two Kinds of Dog Food Mats You Should Definitely Avoid
While there are plenty of quality dog food mats available, there are a few types of dog food mats that you should avoid, as they may present safety issues orl cause more problems than they’re worth.
In a nutshell, you’ll want to avoid:
- Mats that are made from sketchy materials. Your dog may end up licking the food mat, so it’s essential that your mat of choice is made out of dog-safe materials, like silicone, plastic, rubber, cotton, or polyester. If the materials are unclear or if you’re doubting the safety of a particular choice, opt for a different dog food mat.
- Mats that aren’t easy to wash. Mats that aren’t machine-washable or dishwasher-friendly aren’t convenient to wash on a daily basis. This can lead to nasty bacteria that you won’t want anywhere near your furry friend. Make it easier on you and your mutt by finding a dog food mat that’s super easy to clean.
Caring for Your Dog Food Mats
In order to protect your kitchen and your canine, you’ll want to take good care of Fido’s food mat. Here are a couple of tips so that you can keep Fido’s food mat ultra-fresh.
- Wash the mat on a daily basis. Keep your pup’s mat pristine by giving it a wash at the end of day. This will prevent any messes from accumulating and prevent bacteria from flourishing on the mat.
- Keep an eye out for any tears or cracks. A small crack may be fine, but keep in mind that any crevices in a food mat may become breeding grounds for bacteria. If your mat starts to get funky, it’s time to find a replacement.
- Don’t let messes sit around on the mats. If you catch your pooch making a mess, try to wipe it off the mat right away. This will cut down on your cleaning time at the end of the day and generally keep things clean and safe for Spot.
Dog food mats make an excellent tool for pet parents, allowing your mutt to enjoy his meals without the mess. Just make sure you find a mat that’s dog-safe for your canine companion.
Have you tried any of these food mats? Does your dog make a mess while eating? Tell us all about it in the comments below!