Although most people are probably most familiar with wicker in the context of patio furniture, a number of other items are also made from woven wooden fibers – including dog beds.
In many respects, wicker construction is ideally suited for dog beds, as it is attractive, durable and lightweight.
Check out our quick picks below, or read on to learn about wicker and check out six great wicker beds for your pup!
Quick Picks: Wicker Dog Beds
- Pick #1: PetPal Paper Rope Pet Bed — OK, technically, this bed is made from seagrass, rather than rattan. But, it still has the wicker aesthetic, it is a really well-built bed, and most owners and pets loved it.
- Pick #2: The Refined Canine Igloo Deluxe Pet Bed — This is a great bed for any dog, but it is especially awesome for anxious pups who need some extra privacy. It also features a table-like top for storage.
- Pick #3: Iconic Pet Wicker Dog Bed — Thanks to it’s internal metal frame, this bed is stronger and sturdier than most other options on the market. It’s also great for big dogs, as it is designed to support up to 80 pounds.
What Is Wicker, Anyway?
To paraphrase former Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, most people have no idea how to define wicker, but they know it when they see it.
I mean, it’s obviously sticks, but are they some special kind of stick, or is wicker the name of a plant? For that matter, what is rattan? How is it different from wicker?
The truth is, wicker simply refers to any furniture created by weaving any of several reed-like sticks or shoots. Meanwhile, the sticks themselves are often called rattan.
In practice, manufacturers use both terms in pretty willy-nilly fashion, so don’t sweat it.
No matter what you call it, the style is pretty old — ancient Egyptians are thought to have used it frequently. Willow is one of the most frequent species turned into rattan, but manufacturers all have their own preferences. Some even substitute plastic for wood.
Are There Any Dogs Who Shouldn’t Use a Wicker Bed?
Theoretically, wicker beds can work for just about any dog. However, they are certainly better suited for some more than others. For example:
While there are a few wicker beds made in sizes large enough to contain big dogs, most are designed for those who are on the small side – less than 40 pounds or so. It is important to look for a wicker bed with a reinforced bottom if you are purchasing one for a larger dog.
Wicker beds may not be a great choice for dogs suffering from hip, joint or back problems. Most wicker beds are designed to be comfortable, but they aren’t designed to provide the kind of support a dog with medical concerns or joint issues needs. It may be possible to purchase an orthopedic mattress separately for use with your wicker bed, but you’ll have to match the sizes carefully.
Wicker beds are not a great choice for power-chewing dogs. Even if he only chews on the bed a little bit, the woven sticks may fall apart completely. If you have a manic muncher of a pooch, opt for a chew proof dog bed that’s designed to be extra durable.
How Can You Keep Your Wicker Looking Good?
There’s obviously a difference in the way a wicker dog bed will look the day you get it and two years or so down the line. However, if you simply embrace a few common-sense practices, you’ll keep your dog’s wicker bed looking good for years to come.
- Don’t allow your dog’s bed to become wet if you can help it. A little bit of dampness won’t ruin a wicker bed, but a significant amount of fluid, such as may occur if your dog has an accident or spills a nearby water bowl, can quickly cause discoloration and swelling. Always dry wicker in the sun or some other warm place before reusing it.
- Wipe the wicker bed down periodically to remove the dust that collects between the weave. Use a disposable, dust-removing wand to get back into the hard-to-reach areas and avoid the need to use cleaning liquids.
- If you find yourself needing to remove some type of resistant gunk or residue, use only gentle cleaning products. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for care (when they exist), and test any chemical you intend to use on the bottom of the bed first.
Best Wicker Dog Beds: Reviews & Rating
There are a ton of wicker dog beds on the market, but the following six are among the best options for most puppy parents.
1. Iconic Pet Wicker Dog Bed
About: The Iconic Pet Wicker Dog Bed is a sleek and modern-looking sleeping station that can be used indoors or outdoors.
- Iconic Pet Rattan pet furniture for Dogs and Cats is woven with pliable palm stems of rattan
- Wicker look rattan sofa dog bed is made of foam filled cushion with a water resistant polyester...
- Modern dog/cat sofa is Caramel and Mocha in color and the water resistant cushion cover is Gray in...
- Our indoor/outdoor pet bed is perfect for dogs and cats up to 50 lbs
- This bed features a metal interior frame for additional strength
- Caramel- and Mocha-colored frame; Gray cushion
- Designed for pets up to 80 pounds in weight
- The cushion is filled with eco-friendly foam
- The cushion comes with a removable, water-resistant, machine-washable cover
The metal interior frame is an excellent feature for big-dog owners, and it’s always nice to purchase products made with eco-friendly materials. It hasn’t been reviewed by very many owners, but those who have shared their thoughts appeared quite pleased with the bed.
There aren’t many down-sides to this bed. The back and sides aren’t very high, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Sizes: Available in one size: 32.7 inches long, 20.9 inches wide, 10.6 inches tall
2. The Refined Canine Outdoor Dog Bed, X-Large
About: The Refined Canine Chaise Bed is an outdoor bed that features a large canopy to provide your pup with a little shade while he snoozes.
- Constructed in poly rattan
- Outdoor cushion machine washable
- 6" cushion with pillow top
- Cushion raised off ground
- Poly-rattan construction ensures that the bed looks great and will last for years
- Comes with 6-inch-thick, pillow-topped cushion to provide unmatched comfort
- The cushion is machine-washable and designed for outdoor use
- Adjustable feet provide stability and flexibility
These spacious beds are great for medium to large dogs; the extra-large model will comfortably accommodate dogs weighing up to 75 pounds, and several owners used the bed with dogs exceeding this size. Most owners loved the aesthetics of the bed and spoke highly about the overall quality of the construction.
Weighing more than 37 pounds, the Refined Canine Outdoor Dog Bed is not especially easy to move around, but because it is designed for outdoor use, this isn’t a huge problem. Additionally, some assembly is required, but the bed comes with all of the necessary tools required.
Sizes: Available in one size: 35.5 inches long, 38 inches wide, 28 inches tall)
3. Prestige Wicker Hand-Made Dog Basket
About: The Prestige Wicker Dog Basket is a comfy, oval-shaped pet bed that is made by hand in the U.K.
- British Brand, Imported from England UK
- Environmentally Friendly Hand-Made Basket Chemicals Free, Pillow washable in low temperature.
- Very durable product hand-made to last for many years to come
- External approx size 33 Inches x 25 Inches H 8 Inches
- Chemical-free basket is environmentally friendly
- Available in four different sizes to suit your pet
- Made from real willow shoots
- Fabric strip around the inside of the basket to prevent pinched paws
This product appears somewhat new to the market, and there aren’t many user reviews available. That said, most who bought it seemed pleased with their decision. According to the users, this is a very well-built, sturdy bed that seems like it’ll last for years. We like that it’s made from real willow shoots, but your dog probably won’t care about that.
The only complaint we could find about this bed (there weren’t many) was that the fabric strip around the inside of the bed wasn’t padded. But frankly, most wicker beds don’t even come with the fabric strip, so this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Extra-small: 21 inches long, 15 inches wide, 7 inches tall
- Small: 25 inches long, 20 inches wide, 7 inches tall
- Medium: 30 inches long, 23.5 inches wide, 8 inches tall
- Large: 33.5 inches long, 25.2 inches wide, 8.3 inches tall
4. Iconic Pet Maharaja Rattan Pet Bed
About: The Iconic Pet Maharaja Rattan Bed is a fancy-looking pet bed that is ready for indoor or outdoor use.
- Made from woven, Pliable Palm stems of rattan with a Metal frame
- Suitable for Indoor and outdoor use
- Foam-filled water-resistant cushion with machine washable, Zipper polyester cover
- Color: Carmel and mocha with gray cushion
- This bed comes with an internal metal frame to provide additional strength
- Each strip of rattan is coated with UV-inhibitors to prevent sun damage
- Cover is removable, machine-washable and water-resistant
- Available in three sizes
- Espresso-colored wood; Cream-colored cushion
The Majaraja Rattan Bed is obviously a great-looking bed, and the internal metal frame provides great strength and stability. Most owners who tried it thought it looked great, and we think the UV-inhibitor coating is a nice touch.
This may not be the easiest bed to assemble, and a few owners reported that the screw holes provided don’t line up well. Other than that, there don’t seem to be many big problems with this product.
Sizes: Available in one size: 21.3 inches long, 28 inches wide, and 17.7 inches high
5. PetPal Paper Rope Pet Bed
About: PetPals Woven Paper Rope Bed is a round pet bed made from interwoven strands of real seagrass. Seagrass is not only an environmentally friendly construction material, it is a great-looking material that will make your pet’s bed stand out from the crowd.
- Includes cushioned pillow for maximum pet comfort
- Lightweight bed is easy to move around, so your pet can sleep next to you
- Designed for very small dogs and cats
- Accommodates dogs up to 25 pounds
This is a perfect bed for owners who want something that is somewhat wicker-like, yet offers a bit of a different aesthetic. The round shape is also perfect for dogs who like to curl up when sleeping.
Like a few other wicker beds in our review, the PetPals bed is not appropriate for large dogs. Most owners who were happy with the purchase had pets that were less than 20 pounds.
Sizes: Available in one size: 17-inch-diameter, and 15 inches tall
6. The Refined Canine Igloo Deluxe Pet Bed
About: The Refined Canine Igloo Pet Bed is a great-looking, faux-rattan hideaway, which gives your pooch a private place to relax and sleep.
- The exterior is made from water-proof, faux rattan
- Woven by hand for maximum quality
- Comes with a machine-washable cushion
- The top features a hard, flat surface that can be used for storage
- This bed is available in two colors: Smoke and Espresso
This bed’s enclosed design is awesome for nervous dogs who need a little more security. It also comes with all of the important features you’d want, like a machine-washable cushion. The overwhelming majority of owners who tried the bed raved about it and rated it highly.
The only complaint we found about this bed was that it was kinda big. This may be a problem for those in small homes, but most owners will probably see this as a good thing.
Sizes: One size only: 25 inches in diameter, and 20 inches tall
Do you use a wicker bed for your pup? How has it worked out for you? Let us know all about it in the comments below.