Best Waterproof Dog Beds: Quick Picks
- #1 Pet Fusion Ultimate Lounge Dog Bed [Best Waterproof Bed with Bolsters] — This waterproof bed has a sturdy outer layer as well as a waterproof liner, along with a comfy bolster for your dog to rest his head.
- #2 Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed [Best Affordable Option] — Need a waterproof dog bed that’ll keep your dog comfortable without breaking the bank? Look no further!
- #3 Big Barker [Best For Large Dogs] — The most luxurious option around, the Big Barker is a 7-inch-thick orthopedic bed that is available with an (optional) waterproof liner to protect it from accidents and spills.
It’s happened to many of us: You sleep in just half an hour too late and find that your pooch has had an accident all over his bed.
What happens next depends on what kind of bed you have.
If you have a typical dog bed, you spend the next thirty minutes pulling the stuffing out and trying to remember the care instructions – or just throwing out the bed altogether.
However, if you have a waterproof bed, you’ll just need to give it a quick rub down with a rag and spray it with some dog-safe multi-purpose cleaner to make it ready for your pooch’s next nap.
We’ll help you pick the best waterproof dog bed for your pet below, as we detail seven of our favorite options on the market. We’ll also explain some of the things you’ll want to keep in mind when making your choice.
Read on to learn more!
Waterproof vs. Water Resistant: What’s the Difference?
As you’re looking for a dog bed, you’re likely to run into the labels “waterproof” and “water-resistant.”
Both describe how well a bed stands up to liquids, but they often mean different things.
Typically, a waterproof dog bed has some sort of plastic liner or a waterproof liner, in addition to the main outer material layer.
Liquids cannot penetrate the inner cushioning of the bed, no matter how long it sits there or how much of it there is (it’ll just leak out on to the floor instead).
On the other hand, water-resistant beds are usually cloth or upholstery with a water-repellent finish.
They can stand up to a small amount of liquid for a short amount of time, but eventually, the liquid will seep into the bed.
Waterproof beds are great for all sorts of situations — it’s rarely a bad idea to opt for a water-proof model.
However, they are usually a bit more expensive than water-resistant options.
Water-resistant beds, on the other hand, are only suitable for dogs who aren’t going to soak their bed thoroughly and if you’re going to be around to clean it up quickly.
Water-resistant beds might be useful for older dogs who have just a little bladder trouble or dogs who are prone to a bit of leakage but not a full-on accident. Otherwise, you’ll want to opt for a waterproof bed.
The Best Waterproof Dog Beds
Not all waterproof beds are made equal, so you’ll want to be careful when making your choice. We’ll try to help you do so below, by pointing out some of the best waterproof beds on the market.
1. Pet Fusion Ultimate Lounge Dog Bed
About: Pet Fusion Ultimate Lounge Dog Bed is a great option for pet owners who want a premium bed but don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars to get one.
Pet Fusion Dog Bed
A quality bolster bed with a waterproof liner included
Features a memory foam core, a wrap-around bolster and a durable waterproof liner.
The Pet Fusion Bed is moderately priced and designed for all sorts of dogs. The bed itself is water-resistant, but also includes a waterproof foam liner for maximum bed protection (which is especially handy since the bed is made of high-quality memory and support foam that you wouldn’t want to get wet).
There are many sizes available, including some for smaller breeds.
This outer cover of this bed is removable, chew resistant, and completely machine washable.
- Features a waterproof liner to protect the bed and your floor from accidents
- Wrap-around bolster provides a headrest for your pooch
- Outer cover is tear- and water-resistant
- Memory foam base is available in multiple firmness levels
Color and Size Options: The Pet Fusion Bed is available in two colors (Sandstone and Brown), and it comes in four different sizes (small, large, extra-large, and jumbo).
This bed is reasonably priced while still being made out of high-quality materials. It has a bolster that wraps all the way around the bed and has various sizes for all sorts of dogs!
Some owners find that it’s initially somewhat challenging to get this bed’s cover over the hefty orthopedic foam core. Having an extra set of hands nearby to help you might be helpful.
2. Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed
About: The Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed is an inexpensive, but good quality dog bed that’s a solid choice for any owner. It’s made with orthopedic foam, comes with a waterproof cover, and it is available in many sizes, making it a great choice for small and big dogs alike.
Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed
An affordable bed that’s waterproof
Featuring a waterproof liner, machine-washable cover, and two different types of foam, the Brindle Dog Bed provides premium features at an affordable price.
The Brindle Dog Bed is made with a layer of orthopedic memory foam on top, as well as a bottom layer of support foam. This design makes the bed extremely comfortable, while also providing your pooch with plenty of support.
The Brindle Dog Bed comes with a waterproof inner layer and an outer cover that is machine washable. Plus, the bottom of the bed is anti-slip, so it’ll stay where you put it.
- Comes with a waterproof layer positioned over the memory foam core to protect it from accidents
- Zippered cover is removable and completely washable
- Made with 2 inches of support foam with an additional top layer of memory foam
- Bottom of the bed is made with a non-slip material, making it a good option for hardwood floors
Color and Size Options: The Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed comes in three sizes (small, medium, and large), and it is available in three colors (Red Sherpa, Navy Trellis, and Charcoal Velour).
This bed is very durable – many owners reported that it stood up to quite a beating. It is machine washable and stays looking new for a long time, even if you purchase the white color option. Spot-cleaning also works very well for this bed.
This bed doesn’t have a bolster, which might be a problem for dogs who like to have somewhere to rest their head.
3. Better World Pets Dog Bed
About: The Better World Pets Dog Bed comes in many different stylish color options, making it the perfect choice for pet owners who want a bed that will match their home’s design. It has a removable, washable waterproof cover and is packed with shredded memory foam to keep your canine comfortable.
Better World Pets Dog Bed
A waterproof bed with shredded foam
5-inch-thick dog bed packed with shredded memory foam + removable, waterproof cover
The Better World Pets Bed features shredded memory foam, which – while providing less support than slab style memory foam – helps keep the cost of this bed lower than many other options.
The memory foam bed materials make this bed ultra cozy and a good budget pick for dogs with joint issues – although a mix of slab support foam and memory foam will a better option for dogs with serious joint problems and arthritis.
The cover is waterproof and machine washable for easy cleaning. Plus, this bed is also available in a few different trim color accents.
- Waterproof cover is easy to take off with the help of a zipper
- Stuffed with shredded memory foam that’s over 5 inches thick for superior comfort
- Non-skid surface on the bottom keeps the bed in place and protects against moisture buildup
Color and Size Options: The Better World Pets Bed comes in four sizes (small, medium, large, and extra-large) and four colors (Midnight Grey, Ocean Blue, Rave Green, and Spanish Red).
Many owners reported that this company’s customer service was prompt and helpful. Plus, the cover is reportedly very waterproof.
This bed has shredded memory foam, not a block of memory foam. This can make the bed feel lumpier than other dog beds and also makes it less supportive. There are also reports of this bed “off-gassing,” which means that the stuffing smells of glue and plastic quite heavily, at least initially before airing out.
4. Kurgo Loft Wander
About: With an ultra-portable design, the Kurgo Loft Wander Bed is perfect for camping, outside use, and travel. Kurgo is known for making rugged dog gear for outdoor-adventuring canines, and this bed is no exception.
Made with a focus on durability with it’s quilted, ripstop fabric (that’s also waterproof) this bed can withstand spaces that might easily roughen up other beds.
Kurgo Loft Wander Bed
Waterproof bed for outdoor action
A fully waterproof bed ideal for travel and on-the-go adventures
The Kurgo Loft Wander Bed features quilted fabric that is entirely waterproof and filled with a Polytech filling. The non-slip bottom protects it from moisture and prevents it from sliding around.
Furthermore, the whole bed is machine washable, making maintenance a breeze.
Because it is both durable and waterproof, this bed is perfect for outdoor camping, adventuring, and traveling.
- Non-slip Rufftex bottom protects against dewy grass and slippery environments
- Machine washable for quick and easy cleaning
- Completely waterproof
- Made with a Microtomic riptstop fabric
- Can be rolled up and packed away, plus comes with a carry handle
Color and Size Options: The Kurgo Loft Wanderer Bed only comes in one color (Red), but it is available in your choice of two sizes (medium and large).
This bed’s roll-and-pack design makes it perfect for travel. Many owners reported that this dog bed withstood months of constant outside use — one owner even took it on the Appalachian trail!
With a focus on portability, this bed isn’t as thick as some of the other dog beds discussed here. This bed is not necessarily suitable for dogs with joint problems or those who need some extra cushioning.
About: The DogBed4Less Memory Foam Dog Bed comes with multiple external covers and a waterproof liner.
Both outer covers are machine washable and rely on a zipper for easy cover removal. Extra stitching prevents the covers from fraying even after repeated washings.
This bed comes with multiple covers, so you can put one on the bed while washing the other. Both external covers are crafted out of faux suede, with a high-density memory foam pad inside, designed to relieve pressure on aging joints.
- Gel-infused memory foam pad provides comfort that also cools your dog down
- Includes waterproof liner + 2 machine washable covers
Color and Size Options:
The DogBed4Less Waterproof Bed is available in two colors (Khaki and Brown), and it comes in seven sizes (small/medium, medium/large, large, 41-inch extra-large, 47-inch extra-large, extra-extra large, and jumbo).
Owners love that this bed remains cool thanks to the gel-infused foam, making it suitable for both warm and cooler weather. Because the bed comes with two covers, clean up is exceptionally easy.
This bed is not as waterproof as others – the top of the inner lining is waterproof, but the sides and bottom of the bed are not. If your pet has a massive accident that leaks around the sides and onto the bottom, the foam insert will likely get wet.
7. Big Barker
About: The Big Barker is a fantastic choice for older dogs with joint problems, but it also makes an excellent bed for younger XL canines.
Considered one of the best dog beds for large dogs, it’s designed specifically for heftier hounds. In fact, the manufacturer warns against using it with small pooches, as the extreme support can actually be dangerous for them!
The bed itself isn’t waterproof, but a waterproof liner is available for an additional purchase.
The Big Barker
Cream of the crop bed for XL dogs
This 7-inch-thick orthopedic dog bed comes with an attached bolster and has a waterproof liner available for purchase
The Big Barker is made with high-quality materials and it is an excellent all-around bed for any canine who needs a little extra comfort. Because of all the premium features, this bed does cost a bit more than most.
This bed is made with orthopedic foam, along with a microfiber cover.
- Suitable for dogs with joint pain or large breeds that are prone to joint problems
- Features a 100% microfiber cover for optimal comfort
- Handmade in the USA with premium-grade orthopedic foam that to retain its original shape
- The bed is machine washable, and an extra waterproof liner is available for purchase
Color and Size Options: The Big Barker is available in three sizes (large, extra-large, and giant) and four colors (Chocolate, Khaki, Burgundy, and Charcoal Gray).
Be sure to read our full review of Big Barker for more details!
You get what you pay for. The Big Barker is expensive, but it is the Rolls Royce of dog beds. It is comfortable, easy on the joints, and durable.
It is not as bite- and dig-proof as other beds. If your dog is a chewer, you might not want to get this bed. Furthermore, the foam is too firm for smaller breeds. Lastly, the waterproof liner is only available for an added fee.
About: The PetAmi isn’t a bed, strictly speaking. Instead, it is more of a blanket mat.
This is a great option if you want a bit of waterproof protection when your dog sleeps on your couch or bed. Putting this waterproof blanket on their usual napping spot will protect your furniture should they have an accident.
It can also work well to cover a dog bed you already own!
This dog blanket is perfect for covering sofas, your bed, or any other area where your pet already sleeps.
Both sides of this reversible dog mat are waterproof and leakproof, and it comes in many different colors to match your furniture and home decor perfectly.
- 100% waterproof – perfect for protecting sofas and beds where your pet already sleeps.
- Made from microfiber fleece and featuring a sherpa lining
- Reversible design and machine washable
Color and Size Options: The PetAmi Waterproof Dog Blanket is available in 17 different color combinations, and it comes in three sizes (50″ x 40″, 60″ x 40″, and 80″ x 55″).
This blanket is entirely leakproof, while still remaining very soft, so many dogs will have no problem using it. It works great as a dog furniture cover to protect your sofa or car interior.
While this blanket is completely waterproof, the smell of the urine can transfer to the surface underneath the blanket if you leave it sitting for long enough.
Things to Consider When Searching for the Best Waterproof Dog Beds
Waterproof dog beds vary widely. Not all are precisely “waterproof,” and some may not be very great for aging dogs or those with joint issues.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a dog bed for your pooch:
- Size — Different dogs will need different size beds. Often, bigger is not always better, especially if the mattress is made of memory foam. You should get a bed that fits your dog’s exact size using the manufacturer’s sizing guidelines.
- Materials — Some materials are more comfortable and durable than others. Orthopedic memory foam is the best core material available, but it can be too firm for some dogs, as well as pricey and even unnecessary for smaller, younger dogs.
- Machine Washable — Most high-quality beds are machine washable, but be sure to double-check. In general, you should select a machine washable dog bed to ensure ease of cleaning.
- Price — Generally, you’re going to pay more for a better bed. Size and material are the two most significant factors that play into the price.
- Non-skid bottom — This feature is especially important if you have hardwood floors since they provide minimal grip. Non-skid bottoms prevent the bed from sliding and can provide extra moisture protection.
- Removable covers — Any bed you purchase should have a removable cover for cleaning purposes. Otherwise, you’re going to have a hard time cleaning the outer cover.
- Consider bolsters — Many dog beds come with bolsters for your pup to lay his head on while he’s resting. Some dogs like bolsters, while others don’t. Just keep your dog’s preferences in mind when choosing a bed.
Why Do You Need a Waterproof Dog Bed?
There are many reasons why you might need a waterproof dog bed.
Common traditional dog beds can be challenging to clean in the event of an accident, and urine can often ruin beds with sensitive inner foam, like memory form.
In these cases, the foam can begin to mildew and grow bacteria when wet, which can make the area smelly.
Here are some particular situations where a waterproof bed is extremely important:
- Incontinence –Many older dogs have trouble with incontinence and bladder control, especially while they’re sleeping. As you can imagine, this can often spell disaster for usual dog beds. With a waterproof dog bed, clean up from these accidents is much easier.
- Potty training struggles — New puppies also benefit from a waterproof bed, as they are more prone to accidents while in the early house training process.
- Dogs who may vomit — Vomit is also a liquid, and a waterproof bed can help protect against it. Sick dogs and those who are about to have surgery can benefit from a soft, waterproof bed.
- Outdoor use — Any outdoor dog bed is going to get wet, which means it needs to be waterproof. Otherwise, the inner materials will quickly get ruined.
- Rough and-tumble dogs — If your puppy is particularly playful and tends muddy, dirty, and wet from puddle jumping, a waterproof bed can help control the mess.
- Anytime spills may happen — If your dog tends to spill stuff near their bed, whether that’s because there’s a water bowl in his crate or otherwise, a waterproof bed can help protect your flooring long enough for you to clean up the spill.
Have you ever needed a waterproof dog bed? Is there another product you would have included? Share your thoughts in the comments.