Like Kong toys for your doggo?
Yeah — we do too. Most of ’em, anyway.
But because there are so many different types of Kongs on the market, it can be a bit overwhelming to pick one or two for your pooch. And that’s a shame, as many of these toys are not only fun for four-footers to play with, but they’re also helpful for training and dog-management purposes.
So, to help our readers out, we’ve had several members of the K9 of Mine team share their own personal experiences with these toys. We’ve then used these comments to assemble a list of our favorite Kongs, along with a few we’re not crazy about.
Read on to find the best Kong for your canine!
Our Favorite KONG Dog Toys: Quick Picks
- #1 The Classic KONG [Best All-Around KONG]: The toy that started the Kong craze, it can be chewed, fetched, filled with tasty things, or even used for training.
- #2 The KONG Extreme [Best KONG for Power Chewers]: A super-durable version of the Classic Kong, this is the best Kong for power-chewing pupperinos.
- #3 The KONG Wobbler [The Best KONG for Solo Playtime]: A treat-dispensing, interactive toy, this Kong is great for solo playtime and stimulation.
What Are KONG Toys?
Most Kongs are dog toys made with chewing in mind.
First created by Joe Markham back in 1970, these pupper playthings were inspired by Markham’s beloved but chewy-happy canine, Fritz, who had an affinity for rubber.
With his doggo’s preference in mind, Markham crafted the classic red Kong we all know today. Over the years, he added more variations, including the Extreme Kong line for heavy-duty chewers in black, the Puppy Kong line made for teething in pink and light blue, and Senior Kong line for aging chompers in purple.
Most Kong toys are made with globally sourced, non-toxic, BPA-free rubber in the USA. But there are exceptions, so always check each individual Kong toy’s country of origin, as some are made in China.
How and When Can You Use KONG Toys?
Kong has come a long way from the classic line of chews to provide toys that meet a host of canine enrichment needs, including:
- Fetch: The Kong Ball, KongClassic Flyer, and KongSqueezz Ball are just some of the toys that satisfy your doggo’s need to chase and play.
- Chew: Kong’s line includes countless chew-friendly toys, including the Kong Dental Dog Toy and Kong Classic Goodie Bone.
- Solo play: Sometimes, you need your doggo to play independently, and the Kong Jump’N Jack Dog Toy and Kong Wobbler are two of Kong’s many offerings ready to keep him occupied.
- Tug: Pull and play to your pup’s content with the Tugga Wubba, Wubba, and more, all made with your pup’s teeth in mind.
- Foraging: Dogs love to hunt for food, and you can put this instinct to the test with the Kong Classic, Kong Activity Ball, and more, featuring stuffable centers.
Kong toys are beneficial not only during downtime around the house but also as brain games and exercise between training sessions, keeping your canine happy and engaged.
Our Favorite KONG Toys
The K9 of Mine team has an assortment of doggos (tall and small), and most of ’em are Kong fans. We’ve gathered up the four-legged favorites for you to browse, hopefully helping you pick the Kong toy that your dog would enjoy most.
1. Classic KONG
Safe, fun to chew, and easy to stuff with goodies, this is the best starting point for owners who’re new to KONGs.
About: The Classic Kong is a treat-dispensing toy that’ll keep your dog chewing and licking for hours on end. Easily stuffable with goodies, just add cookies, peanut butter, or cheese spray to the Kong’s hollowed center and watch your pup go to town.
- Crafted of natural rubber
- Bouncy nature allows for rounds of fetch between chewing
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Made in the USA using globally sourced materials
Options: Available in 6 sizes, from XS to XXL.
- Strong but malleable, the Kong classic is an excellent choice for average chewers.
- Affordably priced and long-lasting, the Kong classic is a heck of a bargain.
- The ability to use the toy for fetch and chewing makes it a versatile pick.
- Some dogs refuse to chew rubber, no matter how hard you try to entice them.
- Heavy-duty chewers need a stronger chew.
2. KONG Classic Extreme
About: Made with powerful chewers in mind, the Kong Classic Extreme is a tougher version of the classic Kong. Best of all, it’s dishwasher safe (like many other Kongs), making cleanup a breeze.
KONG Classic Extreme
Similar to the Classic KONG, but made from stronger, heavier rubber to withstand your power-chewer’s chomers.
- Crafted of non-toxic, BPA-free rubber
- Easily stuffable with your dog’s favorite treats
- Extra bouncy materials make for fantastic fetching fun
- Made of globally sourced materials in the USA
Options: Available in 5 sizes ranging from small to XXL.
- Affordably priced, it offers hours of fun for less.
- The strong rubber holds up to most aggressive chewers.
- As with the Classic Kong, pup parents love the ability to freeze this toy, thereby increasing the chewing difficulty of hidden goodies.
- The Extreme line is overkill for average chewers.
- The rubber smell can be off-putting to humans and dogs alike.
3. KONG Goodie Bone
About: The Kong Goodie Bone directs your dog’s chewing instincts to an appropriate (and delicious) outlet. Just slip your dog’s favorite treats into the ends and keep him chewing, licking, and pawing away.
KONG Goodie Bone
A bone-shaped toy made from natural rubber that’s easy for dogs to grip and capable of holding various treats in both ends.
- Manufactured with a durable, dog-friendly rubber
- Fillable ends for long-lasting enrichment
- Easy to clean between uses
- Made in the USA of globally sourced materials
Options: Available in small, medium, and large sizes along with Classic, Extreme, and Puppy versions of hardness.
- The bone shape makes this toy easy for dogs to hold, carry, and chew.
- This is a pretty affordable member of the Kong product line.
- The Goodie Bone is pretty long-lasting as long as you pick the right strength (Classic, Extreme, or Puppy.)
- Some owners and dogs found the rubber scent too strong.
- Goodie Bones aren’t as durable as the Classic Kong shape for some chewers.
- The hollow ends don’t hold a ton of soft filler — this is best used with long, hard treats.
4. KONG Tug
About: The Kong Tug is the ultimate pick for lovable lugs who can’t get enough tug of war. Featuring two nylon rings made to withstand the rigors of tug, it’s ready to provide game after game of fun.
A flexible tug toy that’s made from durable rubber and easy for you and your dog to grip during playtime.
- Crafted with non-toxic rubber and stretchable nylon for a more comfortable game of tug
- Control-Flex technology keeps tuggers safe from accidental snap-back during play
- Easy to wipe clean as needed
- Made of globally sourced ingredients in the USA
Options: Available in small, medium, and large sizes.
- Lightweight and relatively easy to handle, it won’t bog down your fun.
- Owners praise the length, as it puts plenty of space between tuggers to prevent accidental bites or head-clashing.
- The toy’s unique shape makes it ideal for canine tug-of-war battles.
- Since this isn’t intended for chewing, you have to make sure your dog doesn’t run off with it and cause damage.
- A bigger, more padded grip would be comfier for human tuggers.
5. KONG Squeezz Ring
About: The Kong Squeezz Ring is made with tooth-friendly rubber that’s malleable enough to chew safely but strong enough to stand up to teeth. Loaded with hidden inner squeakers, it’ll keep your four-footer entertained.
KONG Squeezz Ring
A fun and flexible toy with an internal squeaker and can be used for chewing, tugging, or games of fetch.
- Manufactured with non-toxic, durable rubber
- Squeaky sound drives dogs wild
- Dishwasher safe for top-rack only
- Made in China
Options: Offered in medium and large sizes.
- While it’s not intended for heavy chewers, it withstands regular wear for average chompers.
- The squeak is pretty loud compared to other toys, making squeaker-lovers rejoice.
- Bouncy nature makes it fun for games of fetch too.
- This toy will not withstand power chewers.
- Some doggos did get their jaws stuck in the center, which can be scary, but it’s rare and fixable — it would be pretty easy to cut off, should an emergency arise.
6. KONG Wobbler
About: The Kong Wobbler provides interactive, fuss-free fun with its large inner treat reservoir. Designed to mimic foraging behavior, this honeycomb-shaped contraption keeps your pup guessing as it wobbles to and fro.
A hard plastic, food-dispensing toy that spills kibble or treats as your dog bumps, nudges, and flings it.
- Made of food-safe plastic polymer
- Wobble action encourages your dog to nose, paw, and shake free treats
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup between uses
- Made in the USA
Options: Offered in small and large sizes.
- The brain game aspect is a win with pup parents who report it keeps their four-footers guessing.
- The center capacity is large enough to use it as a slow feeder as well.
- The twist-in technology keeps treats safely tucked inside.
- Some dogs aren’t fans of the plastic material and will ignore the toy.
- Power chewers will make quick work of this, so always supervise during use!
7. KONG Flyer
About: The Kong Flyer is Kong’s take on the classic frisbee, delivering plastic-free fun that won’t crack during use. Gentle on your dog’s teeth and gums, your pup can happily catch this in midair with less risk to his mouth.
A throwing-disc-style toy that’s easy to pick up and made from KONG’s durable, chewtastic rubber.
- Crafted with durable, non-toxic rubber
- Lightweight build that glides just as well as plastic
- Has some bounce to keep your dog guessing
- Made in the USA with globally sourced materials
Options: Offered in small and large sizes along with Classic, Puppy, and Extreme strength.
- The soft-catch style is safer for teeth than other disc toys.
- Owners praise the disc’s durability.
- The rubber is easy to clean between uses. Just rinse and you’re good to go.
- Unlike rigid discs, this one is super-easy for doggos to pick up.
- Some owners found the flight skills of this flyer to be lacking.
- Since this isn’t intended for use as a chew toy, you have to make sure your dog doesn’t run off with it to chomp, as it won’t hold up.
8. KONG Wubba Classic
About: The Kong Wubba is a one-of-a-kind plaything for your dog’s toy bin. Made in a fun missile-like shape with tassels, it’s the perfect toy for fetch, tug, thrashing, and more.
KONG Wubba Classic
A nice alternative to traditional KONGs, the Wubba is coated in nylon and suitable for tugging, tossing, and chewing.
- Crafted of reinforced nylon
- Hidden inner squeaky keeps canines engaged
- Inner tennis ball bounces and squishes for hours of fun
- Made in China
Options: Available in small, large, and X-Large.
- The tentacles are too fun to fling for most dogs to resist.
- The nylon fabric is safer for teeth than other options.
- The nylon material is easy to spot clean as needed.
- A Wubba can’t withstand power chewers for long.
- The tentacles can be chewed off, causing serious choking or obstruction hazards, so watch your pup closely!
- Unlike many other Kongs, it’s made in China.
9. KONG Tugga Wubba
About: The Kong Tugga Wubba lets your four-footer go wild with its unique shape. Featuring a solid braided middle and two fun tasseled ends for thrashing and tugging, it’s a versatile pick for your dog’s toybox.
KONG Tugga Wubba
A unique, multifunction nylon dog toy with a braided mid section for chewing and tassels for tossin’.
- Crafted with durable braided nylon
- Shape is perfect for fetch and tug alike
- Designed and tested in the USA
- Made in China
Options: Offered in 3 sizes: small, large, and extra-large.
- The tasseled ends are a hit with most dogs.
- The material is much safer for teeth than some other tugs.
- Lightweight and flexible, most dogs wing it around with ease.
- This toy isn’t intended for chewing, so don’t expect it to hold up to chompers.
- With its too-fun-not-to-fling design, this thing goes airborne quite frequently, which can be risky during indoor play.
10. Kong Squeezz Dumbbell
About: The Kong Squeezz Dumbbell encourages your pooch to chomp and play with its inner squeakers and fun shape. Bouncy and lightweight, it’s perfect for a game of fetch.
Kong Squeezz Dumbbell
A rubber, dumbbell-shaped dog toy with an internal squeaker that’s great for chewing and games of fetch.
- Made with non-toxic, dog-safe rubber
- Flexible material is tooth-friendly
- Dumbbell shape is easy for most dogs to carry
- Made in China
Options: Offered in small, medium, and large.
- Owners find it long-lasting with average chewers.
- The squeaker volume gets a tail wag of approval from most dogs (though you might find it a little loud.)
- Easy to clean, just rinse it between uses to keep it fresh.
- The squeaker doesn’t have the longest lifespan.
- Unfortunately, this toy isn’t as durable as other Kong offerings, so it shouldn’t be offered to super chewers.
Three Kong Toys We’re Not Really Fond of
While Kong has plenty of awesome toys, a few didn’t wow us as much as others. These might work great with your pup, but they weren’t crowd pleasers with our canines.
1. KONG Binkie
About: The Kong Binkie encourages puppies to relieve chewing instincts in an appropriate way, sparing your favorite sneakers. Crafted in a pacifier shape, you can stuff the lower half with a tempting treat to keep your puppy engaged.
An adorable pacifier-shaped rubber toy that can be filled with tasty treats and works great for chewin’ and fetchin’.
- Constructed of dog-safe, BPA-free rubber
- Designed with puppies in mind with a soft, tooth-friendly form
- Easy to clean, just hand wash or pop in the dishwasher
- Made from globally sourced materials in the USA
Options: Available in small and medium sizes.
- The handled top is super helpful for enjoying tug with your pup.
- This is more than affordable for lasting fun.
- Some owners report their pups just weren’t into this toy.
- Since Binkies only come in Puppy, they won’t stand up to powerful chewers.
2. KONG Tire
About: The Kong Tire is made for powerful chewers in Kong’s Extreme formula. Whether used for a round of fetch or chewing enrichment, the tire’s great for hours of entertainment.
A durable, tire-shaped chew toy made from KONG’s Extreme rubber that’s also suitable for fetch.
- Crafted with durable, dog-friendly rubber
- Center ring can be stuffed with peanut butter or cheese spray
- Unique shape keeps canines engaged
- Made with globally sourced materials in the USA
Options: Offered in small and medium/large sizes along with a version for puppies in a softer rubber form.
- Pup parents of heavy-duty chewers give it a paw’s up for durability.
- Pricing is pretty affordable for such a long-lasting toy.
- Some owners report their pup getting their jaw caught in the center of the tire. While this won’t happen with every pooch, it’s worrisome enough to take note.
- The overall weight and hardness aren’t appealing to every dog.
3. KONG Classic Ball
About: The Kong Classic Ball offers interactive play with its hollow middle and bouncy nature. Toss it around the yard or stuff it with your pup’s favorite treats and watch your four-footer have a blast.
A traditional ball, except that it’s made from KONG rubber and it features a hole through the middle.
- Manufactured with pup-friendly rubber that can withstand chewing
- Puncture-resistant for ongoing fun
- Hollowed center perfect for filling with peanut butter and other goodies
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
Options: Available in small and medium/large sizes and in the Classic and Extreme versions.
- The bounce factor gets a thumbs up from pup owners.
- The rubber stands up well to most doggos, lasting longer than a standard tennis ball.
- The ball is on the heavy side, so some dogs may not enjoy it.
- Super chewers and sharp puppy teeth can make quick work of the Classic Ball’s rubber. When in doubt, go Extreme.
There you have it! Ten of our favorite Kong toys and three we’re not huge fans of. Again, you should feel free to try any of the Kongs discussed above (as well as any of the others in the product lineup), but we just wanted to share our experiences, so you’d have a better chance of starting with a winner.
Do you have a favorite Kong we didn’t mention above? Have you had experiences that differed from ours? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!