Our dogs only deserve the best, and Fido-friendly treats are no exception. If you have a pet who loves to chew, you may want to check out bully sticks.
These beef treats are fully digestible, and, unlike potentially dangerous rawhide treats or bones, bully sticks are made of pure meat which your pooch will love.
In this article, we’ll go over exactly what bully sticks are and why they may make a great treat option for your doggo.
We’ll also compare and contrast some of our favorite bully sticks so you can find the perfect treat for your pooch.
What Are Bully Sticks?
Bully sticks are dog treats made out of dried bull or steer penis (yup, you read that correctly). The treats are sometimes called bull pizzle or pizzle for short, and the names are used interchangeably.
They are typically made by drying bull meat, but they also come in cooked varieties. These treats are often more digestible for dogs with sensitive stomachs than typical treats are, and they can make a great choice for dogs with food allergies, since they are sourced from a single ingredient.
It should be noted that you should still pay attention to how often you give your pooch bully sticks. They are still treats, which can provide waist-expanding calories and can cause stomach upset if consumed too frequently.
Bully sticks come in a variety of lengths and widths, and they have a hard texture that pups love to gnaw on. Unlike traditional dog biscuits, bull pizzle treats will also keep your dog occupied for a significant length of time.
They also offer dogs a great source of protein without added preservatives.
However, one common qualm with pizzle sticks is that they have a naturally strong smell that may take some getting used to.
While there are reduced-odor options, bully sticks still have a particular smell that may make or break the treat for your home.
The Five Best Bully Sticks for Dogs
Without further ado, here are some of our favorite bull pizzle dog treats currently out on the market.
1. Best Bully Sticks
About: Best Bully Sticks offers a variety of chew pizzle sizes and lengths making them great for owners with more than one dog.
- 100% ALL-NATURAL BEEF: Our high in protein bully sticks are made from high-quality, free-range,...
- PROMOTES DENTAL HEALTH: Durable and long-lasting, our bully sticks scrape away tartar and plaque...
- NATURAL SCENT: Our Supreme Bully Sticks are a completely natural healthy dog treat. This means they...
- FULLY DIGESTIBLE Made of natural beef, these 100% digestible dog chews never splinter and are...
Features: These bull pizzle treats are made without any additives or hormones, making them a great pure beef treat for your pooch.
Best Bully Sticks won’t splinter and are completely digestible. It’s important to keep in mind that since these are 100% natural treats, they may have a strong smell.
Best Bully Sticks makes their bull pizzle treats out of 100% grass-fed, free-range beef.
You can purchase these bully sticks in 25 or 50 pack quantities and choose between 6- or 12-inch pizzle treats.
Customers loved how easy these bully sticks were to digest for their dogs. The sticks were also great for keeping pups busy for about 10 to 15 minutes, according to most reviewers.
Some owners were put off by the strong smell of these sticks. In addition, sometimes the sizing of the bully sticks was inconsistent.
2. Nature Gnaws Extra Thin Bully Sticks
About: These extra thin bully sticks by Nature Gnaws are perfect for younger pups or smaller dogs.
- SINGLE INGREDIENT DOG CHEWS - Made with only 100% natural premium quality Beef Bully Sticks.
- RAWHIDE FREE TREATS – Best alternative to chemically made rawhide bones or manufactured dental...
- SUPPORTS DENTAL HEALTH – Chewing helps reduce plaque and tartar for cleaner teeth and fresher...
- SAFE & RESPONSIBLE COMPANY – Our 5-step safety process includes: fresh raw material sourcing,...
Features: Each bull pizzle treat is oven-baked and free of additives and artificial ingredients.
Plus, Nature Gnaws has a money-back guarantee should you be dissatisfied with these treats in any way.
Nature Gnaws regularly provides bully sticks to local shelters, so you’ll feel great about making your purchase. Nature Gnaws are made out of 100% grass-fed, free-range beef. These bully sticks come 6-inches long in packs of either 25 or 50.
Dogs seem to love the taste of these bully sticks and the compact size made these bull pizzle treats perfect for smaller breeds.
Some owners found that the number of bully sticks per package was somewhat inconsistent.
3. Natural Farm 6-Inch Bully Sticks
About: These bully sticks by Natural Farm are great for medium to large-sized breeds.
- QUALITY & TRANSPARENCY that starts with fresh from the farm grass-fed beef, delivered to our...
- ALL NATURAL, WE MEANT IT! We make our own dog treats and we can guarantee you that absolutely...
- DENTAL CARE: Like rope bones or thick cow ears, bully sticks help stimulate jaw muscles when chewing...
- A COMPANY WHO CARES: Through outreach to non-profit organizations, shelter support, and donating a...
Features: Natural Farm’s bull pizzle treats are made out of oven-baked beef with no added processing.
These bully sticks are shaped to help scrape away tartar and plaque build-up, so you’ll be able to enjoy your pup’s pearly whites.
The treats are USDA-certified and fully digestible, making them safe, tasty treats to give to your doggo.
Natural Farm’s treats are made out of 100% beef pizzle sourced from a single supplier. You can get these 6-inch bull pizzle treats in packs of 15, 20, and 25.
Owners loved how long these bully sticks kept their pups busy. Notably, most owners found the natural smell to be less offensive than some of its competitors.
Though there were few poor reviews, some of the customers found that these pizzle treats were too thin.
4. Best for My Pets Odor-Free Bully Sticks
About: If you’re looking for bull pizzle treats without the sometimes-sour smell, try out these odor-free bully sticks from Best for My Pets.
- HEALTHY, ALL-NATURAL AND SAFE. Only the best for your dogs means no preservatives, additives, or...
- MORE THAN JUST ENTERTAINING YOUR DOG. Chewing on Bully Sticks provides stress relief and a sense of...
- ODOR-FREE AND FRESH. Even if you don't notice the smell of bully sticks, your dog will. Our dog...
- FULLY DIGESTIBLE AND RICH PROTEIN SOURCE. Great alternative to rawhide chews, Bully Sticks are fully...
Features: These pure beef bully sticks are made to be odor-free so you’ll love them as much as your pup.
The carved sticks also clean your dog’s teeth while they enjoy the bull pizzle treat. Plus, should you have any reservations about your purchase, the seller offers a full money-back guarantee with every bag.
These bully sticks are made out of grass-fed, free-range, USDA-certified beef.
Best for My Pets offers their bull pizzle treats in a 6-inch size, though individual length naturally varies. The bully sticks come in an 8-ounce bag which comes out to about 10 treats according to verified reviewers.
Owners loved the thicker width of these pizzle dog treats, which made them great for large breeds and pups with big chompers.
Though these are listed as “odor-free”, a number of owners noticed a bit of a smell from these bully sticks, though it was not as pungent as some others.
5. Jack & Pup Premium Bully Sticks
About: Jack & Pup Bully Sticks come in a large 12-inch size making them perfect for larger breeds.
- TOP QUALITY & HEALTHY – Jack&Pup Premium Grade Bully sticks are sourced from grass fed, free range...
- 100% DIGESTIBLE & SAFE – Guaranteed to be fully digestible and guaranteed not to cause any...
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY TEETH & GUMS – By ensuring its’ consistently perfect texture and thickness,...
- PERFECT THICKNESS & LONG LASTING – Each Bully Stick is hand selected and sorted to ensure its’...
Features: Jack & Pup Bully Sticks are sourced from cattle raised without antibiotics to ensure top-notch quality. The sticks are shaped to promote proper dental hygiene, and each stick is hand-selected to ensure consistent thickness.
These bully pizzle treats are crafted to be odor-free, so you’ll feel great about giving these to Fido from the comfort of your home.
Jack & Pup makes their bully sticks out of 100% grass-fed beef raised without hormones or antibiotics. These treats are 12-inches long and come with about 10 sticks per pack.
Owners were impressed with how long these bull pizzle treats kept their dogs occupied. Plus, the treat odor was notably reduced, making for happy pups and happy owners.
Some owners found that the sizing of these bully sticks, particularly the thickness, was somewhat inconsistent.
Safe Use of Bully Sticks
You may be skeptical of whether or not bully sticks are 100% safe for dogs.
As it turns out, bully sticks are typically safer than other treats since they’re completely digestible (such as rawhide) and won’t splinter when chewed.
However, there are a couple of factors to take into careful consideration to ensure that your dog is enjoying their bully stick safely.
1. How Often Should I Give My Dog Bully Sticks? What About Puppies?
In most cases, bully sticks should not take up more than 10% of your dog’s daily caloric intake. However, our dog’s diets can be unique as they are, so there’s no one right answer.
Bully sticks are safe for puppies, but you’ll want to go slow with young four-footers, as they often have more sensitive stomachs than adults.
Generally speaking, figuring out how often to give your dog or puppy bully sticks is something you’ll want to discuss with your veterinarian.
2. Should I Supervise My Dog While Using Bullying Sticks?
Whenever you introduce a new food into your dog’s diet (including treats), you should always monitor him closely to watch out for any adverse reaction.
Though pizzle treats are splinter-free, your pup could still run into problems if he tries to choke down really long pieces.
So, make sure you supervise your dog closely the first couple of times he tries out his new treats.
3. Are Bully Sticks Safe?
Bully sticks are safe for most dogs.
However, if your pooch has dental problems or sensitive teeth, it’s best that they steer away from bull pizzle treats, even the extra-thin varieties.
Bully sticks are an excellent choice for a variety of households. With its pure dried beef content, bull pizzle treats are a great way to keep Fido occupied while giving him a high-protein snack.
If you’re curious about other fun treats to give Fido, check out our guide to different dog chews – there’s something for every kind of pooch, if you know where to look!
Have you tried out any Bully Sticks? What was your pup’s review? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!