Dogs chew. No surprise there!
In fact, dogs are kind of infamous for chewing all sorts of things – shoes, backpacks, your dirty underwear that didn’t quite make it into the laundry hamper – you name it.
Rather than let your dog have at your household items, most owners opt to provide their pooches with more appropriate items to chew on.
Today we’re covering some of the top chew toys of every category on the Internet.
One Of These Chew Toys Is Not Like The Other…
Some dogs definitely chew more than others, and it can be hard to keep up with these extra chompy canines.
When your dog is a mega chewer, it’s smart to keep a variety of chew toys at your disposal. Mixing it up with different toys can help maintain your dog’s interest, making him less likely to chew on your ottoman out of boredom!
Whether it’s the strength of your dog’s jaws, the consistency of his need to chew, or the speed at which he destroys toys, don’t worry – there’s a toy out there for your pup.
- Option 1: Hard Chews. Many super chewers enjoy hard chew toys, which are generally flavored Nylon. These toys do have the potential to splinter if chewed too hard, causing a choking hazard – but they’re the toughest option out there and tend to be affordable. Just make sure to inspect the Nylon toy frequently for splintering.
- Option 2: Floss Chews. Other dogs might prefer the more pliable option of a flossy chew toy. Again, these toys can pose a danger if swallowed, so just keep an eye on your pooch.
- Option 3: Bouncy Treat Chews. Bouncy dog chew toys double as fetch toys, and many hold treats. These are often the most exciting option available – but some dogs will destroy them quickly.
- Option 4: Natural Chews. Natural chew toys are perfect for dogs who like to eat their toys. Some, not all, natural chew toys are actually made to be eaten!
There’s no one-size-fits all solution to mega chewers. What your dog loves today might be totally boring tomorrow. One dog’s indestructible toy may have a fatal flaw that another dog quickly learns to exploit.
Don’t be afraid of experimenting to find your pooch’s holy grail of chew toys!
Hard Chew Toys
Hard chew toys are best for dogs that are dedicated chewers. Some dogs might find them a bit too tough and will give up, but hard chews generally stand up best to dogs with serious jaws.
Many dogs can gnaw on a single hard chew toy for months at a time, but serious chewers might go through them more quickly. Dogs that tend to crack, splinter, and swallow toys should be supervised with hard chew toys. The splinters from these toys can be major choking hazards!
Remember that all chew toys can be broken and ingested, so keep an eye on your pup if you’re concerned about your dog mowing down on a hard chew (although some hard chews are perfectly safe for your dog to eat).
This wishbone-shaped hard chew toy is great for dogs that like to hold onto their chews with their paws, because they can hold onto one “leg” of the toy and chew on the other. The y-shaped design allows dogs to really “get their chew on.”
The bone comes in three flavors: bacon, chicken, and peanut butter. Since it’s technically mostly Nylon, dogs should not be allowed to swallow this toy.
- Dog-Friendly Design – Last time we checked, dogs don’t have thumbs. Our wishbone chew is...
- Real Flavor – We use only 100% real food ingredients for irresistible flavor and scent. We fuse...
- Made in the USA – We are fully committed to Made in USA, including packaging, tooling, and all...
Customers love that the Benebone Flavored Wishbone is made in the USA. Many owners also reported that their dogs seemed to prefer the Y-shaped option over the traditionally-shaped (cheaper) Nylabone.
Some dogs were able to split the Benebone Flavored Wishbone apart. This can be quite dangerous if your dog tends to split things and swallow them. The Nylon splinters can cause damage to your pup’s intestinal system.
This bone is specially designed to soothe the gums of teething pups. It is actually made of canvas, but is designed to be soaked in water and then frozen.
This creative idea is a great solution for teething puppies or dogs who like to lie outside and chew something cool on hot days.
- Great for dental health, teething puppies & full grown dogs
- Durable & long lasting
- Just wet it and freeze it
- Comes with resealabe/reusable bag
Dogs seem to love this toy. It’s soothing and they can really sink their teeth into the canvas.
Dogs love this toy so much that they shred it quickly. A surprising number of customers reported that their dogs destroyed this toy in a matter of minutes, so if your dog is a tough chewer, you might not get much life out of this chew. A few customers were also upset that they toy did not come in the color pictured on Amazon, and it got dirty very quickly
This is one of the most popular hard dog chews on the market. Made of just Nylon and flavoring, Nylabones have been helping dog owners get through puppy teething for at least 15 years.
Nylabone makes a wide variety of different bones that have different textures and sizes. Some versions have bristles or wedges to help clean your pup’s teeth, but most versions are just bone-shaped.
- Our Dura Chew bone is made of tough, durable nylon perfect for aggressive chewers
- Textured chew toy increases chewing appeal
- Chew toy helps clean teeth and control plaque and tartar
- Medium chew toy intended for dogs up to 35 pounds
Buyers love the price of Nylabones. They’re also easy to find in almost any store, making them easy to replace
Like the Benebone Wishbone, Nylabones can splinter. The sharp shards can be a major cutting or choking hazard for your pup.
Flossy Chew Toys
Some dogs don’t love the ultra-hard chew toys. We can’t ask our pups why, but it’s probably just that chomping on something that hard doesn’t feel great.
Many dogs start out loving ultra-hard chew toys, but slowly grow out of them as they mature. Flossy chew toys give your dog the benefit of some light teeth cleaning while really letting them sink their teeth into the woven fibers, while offering more give than hard chews.
Many flossy chew toys can double as tug toys as well, making them work double duty for playtime. The strings from a flossy chew toy can be dangerous if swallowed, so keep an eye on dogs that like dissecting toys.
Full confession, this is my dog’s absolute favorite toy. This extra-long flossy rope is great for tug of war. You can get the full flossing benefits of a chew toy for your pup, even if he’s not a big chewer. Many dogs also enjoy flopping down to gnaw on the knots in the rope.
- X-Large 36-Inch Cottonblend Color 5 Knot Rope Tug
- Rope fibers floss dogs' teeth as they chew and play
- Cottonblend Color materials
- Assorted - color may vary
Mammoth Flossy Chews are perfect for dogs who either don’t like hard chews or don’t tend to chew in general. Buyers love how ridiculously huge the largest size is – and their dogs tend to agree.
Some dogs quickly shred this toy despite its size. Ingesting fibers can be really dangerous, since the fibers can glod your dog’s intestines and result in surgery. Swinging this rope toy around can be quite become a safety hazard for knees and fragile household objects, so beware if your dog is a rambunctious during play.
Perfect for teething pups that don’t shred items apart, these cute animal toys are soft yet sturdy. You can purchase the toy in a variety of shapes and colors, letting you go all out customizing an entire cute zoo for your pet or pragmatically select a single toy that’s best suited to your dog’s desires.
- THE MOST POPULAR DOG TOYS - It look pretty and vibrant colors will attract, meet different...
- HIGH QUALITY AND SAFETY -- 100% high quality cotton; Washable; Environmentally friendly. And dog...
- MULTIFUNCTION -- Nice chew toys to satisfiy dogs' instinctual needs. Great to clean teeth, keep...
This bright, cute toy held up longer than most owners expected. It works well for fetch, tug, and chewing for many dogs that aren’t huge chewers. Owners loved the multifunctionality!
While most dogs did well with this toy, a few dogs reportedly destroyed this toy in no time, leading to some disappointed owners. Some owners reported that the toys seem to vary in quality, with some lasting months and others practically disintegrating when chewed on. Ultimately, probably not the best for ultra heavy chewers.
Rather than being made of flossy string material, the WhooBee Rope Toy is made of rope that’s similar to climbing rope tied in knots.
This stands up to chomping better for many dogs, but other dogs don’t like the feeling of this material as much on their teeth. This package actually includes seven different toys in different shapes and sizes made from the same material. Your dog is sure to find something he likes!
- VARIOUS STYLES - Contains colorful rope dog toy set of 7.(Interactive toys,dog chew toys,dog tug of...
- SAFE AND NON-TOXIC - Chew toys for dogs are made of tight, multi-colored cotton ropes which are...
- PLAY WITH YOUR PET - Bringing you closer together. Play different games with your dog, learn new...
Owners loved the variety of toys available. Homes with multiple dogs reported that each dog picked a favorite, reducing squabbles. Some dogs even used different toys for different games! The toys also reportedly stand up well to chewing.
Like with almost every toy on this list, a few reviewers say that their dogs destroyed these toys in no time.
Dogs that love chew and tug will love this figure 8 chew toy. This toy’s shape makes it easier for humans to hold onto during puppy playtime, and keeps fingers safe while engaging in tug-of-war sessions.
Many big-time chewers enjoy chewing on the tough, stiff rope of this toy. However, you’ll still want to keep an eye on heavy chewers to ensure they don’t gnaw on the plastic parts of this toy.
- Keep pets fit and healthy while having fun with this figure 8 multi-colored rope dog toy
- It helps control plaque by brushing teeth and flossing gums while pet Plays great for playing fetch...
- Manufactured in China
Owners love how this chew toy keeps finger safe while playing tug. It’s stiffer than most rope toys, which many dogs like. It’s also easier for dogs to hold with their paws while chewing than other options out there.
Some big chewers will go after the plastic pieces of this toy. This plastic is dangerous if swallowed, and the toy is essentially ruined if the plastic is cracked, so keep an eye on those plastic bits. Like with all rope toys, some especially talented dogs can and will shred the rope with ease
Bouncy Dog Chew Toys
Toys that bounce make playtime much more exciting for many dogs. Some of these toys squeak or can hold treats, making them even more interesting – even for dogs that aren’t chew-obsessed.
This ultra-fun bouncy chew toy has grooves, nodes, and holes for inserting treats that bounce out when the toy moves. The grooves provide some flossing and teeth-cleaning while the nodes are great for chomping.
The rubber has some give, making it more enticing as an easy victim for your pup’s chompers. It’s still very sturdy, though, reducing the likelihood of your pup swallowing pieces. The rubber is also scented, helping tempt your pup to chew on this instead of your shoes!
- STANDS UP TO HEAVY CHEWERS: This durable toy is built to handle heavy chewing and the 3...
- RELIEVES BOREDOM AND ANXIETY: Our patented Treat Meter randomly dispenses treats to keep your dog...
- CHALLENGES YOUR DOG: Fill with treats, peanut butter, kibble or mix it up for a fun challenge
- EASY TO CLEAN: Top-shelf dishwasher safe
Customers loved the multiple functionalities of this toy – it cleans teeth, satisfies the chewing urge, and feeds your pooch! Some said they never used the treat dispensing capabilities at all, while other owners loved that they could even freeze soft treats inside of the toy for long-term chewing fun.
Some owners found that their dogs tended to knock treats out of this toy and outside of their crate, making it less than ideal to help with crate training. Some owners also noted that the treat-dispensing hole is a bit big, giving the toy the unfortunate tendency of dropping large amounts of treats all at once.
Dogs that love chasing and chewing will love the Crazy Bounce. This multi-lobed toy does not hold treats, but is very sturdy and can bounce all around the house. Dogs can even play fetch with this toy until they decide it’s time to flop down and chew. The toy’s rubber has just the right amount of give to keep your dog interested.
- STIMULATING FUN - This delightfully chewable crazy bounce ball is great for playing fetch, and...
- SUPER CHEWERS - Solid rubber bouncy chew toy is made of our wonderfully chewy and durable Puppyprene...
- SAFE DOG TOY - Never worry about what’s going into your dog’s mouth again! Our dog chew toys are...
Owners loved that this toy is made in the USA with safe, non-toxic ingredients. They also report that this toy is extremely sturdy for chewing as well as fun for fetch.
The smaller version could be a choking hazard for large dogs, while the large version has such hard rubber it doesn’t bounce as well on some surfaces. Make sure you choose the right size for your dog.
If you want a treat-dispensing toy that also has a ball and Nylabone component, this is it. This mish-mash toy is great at covering several chewing bases for your dog.
The Busy Buddy Bouncy Bone is designed to hold ring-shaped treats on a dumbbell-shaped holder.
- 3 TOYS IN 1: A nylon bone, rubber ball and refillable treat-holding toy to keep your pet having fun
- MADE FOR TOUGH CHEWERS: Created from durable nylon and natural vanilla-scented rubber, this toy was...
- RELIEVES BOREDOM AND ANXIETY: Includes 6 rawhide treat ring refills (additional treat ring refills...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Top-shelf dishwasher safe
This toy covers a lot of different styles of chewing. Many dogs just love chewing on the toy itself, which their owners loved! Other owners loved that they could get creative with other types of treats.
Some dogs removed the donut shaped treats very quickly and weren’t interested in chewing on the toy without them. A few owners were frustrated by needing to purchase constant refills for the toy. While it’s possible to make your own treats that fit onto the dumbbell-shaped holder, this is a bit too much work for many owners!
Natural Dog Chew Toys
Natural dog chew toys are hands-down my favorite option when it comes to keeping a chompy dog amused. Why? Most of them are specifically designed so that your dog can ingest the toy without any danger.
This can make for a pricey investment – my dog would eat 20 bully sticks per day if I just kept handing him a new one. We love them because the edible aspect makes them generally safer and more satisfying for dogs that love chewing.
Dogs adore chomping on meat and meaty things, so why not cut to the chase with their chew toys? Bully sticks are essentially dehydrated cow tendons. They’re surprisingly non-smelly and most dogs love (and I mean love) them.
- 100% All-Natural Beef: Our jumbo bully sticks are made from high-quality, free-range, grass-fed beef
- Twice the Thickness: These jumbo bully sticks are double the thickness of standard bully sticks,...
- Promotes Dental Health: Durable and long-lasting, our bully sticks scrape away tartar and plaque...
- High in Protein: Each bully stick is packed with protein to support a healthy diet
Dogs go crazy for bully sticks. They’re relatively clean, at least when compared with a frozen Kong or other edible snack. Owners also appreciate that you can purchase free-range, grass-fed bully sticks from American farms.
Some owners find the cost of bully sticks prohibitive, especially for regular use – so they may be special occasion chews. Major chewers might try to swallow too-large bits of bully stick, so it’s smart to always supervise your pup with these bad boys.
These slow-roasted pig’s ears have lots of flavor and tend to be a bit softer than bully sticks. They’re preservative free, made in the USA, and come in a large pack.
Like bully sticks, dogs go bonkers pig’s ears and owners appreciate that they don’t stink (too much).
WARNING: In July 2019 the CDC announced a multidrug-resistant salmonella outbreak linked to pig ear dog treats. We don’t recommend purchasing pig ears until this outbreak has been resolved. Cow ears are a safer alternative!
- 100-Percent Natural Smoked Pig Ears For Dogs
- Slow Roasted Up To 53 Hours To Enhance Color And Flavor
- Tasty, Long-Lasting Chew With Quality Pork Flavor
- No Preservatives Or Additives
Pig’s ears are a bit easier to chew for most dogs than bully sticks, making them especially ideal for smaller dogs.
Pig’s ears are on the expensive side. Owners of big-time chewers also noted that their dogs ate the pig’s ears so fast, they hardly counted the ears as chew toys!
These are one of my favorite natural chew toys because they’re a tad more affordable than other options out there.
Many dogs will enjoy chewing on the whole, hollow trachea – but some owners find the sight of this disgusting. It’s up to you (and your stomach)! You can also purchase beef esophagus in a jerky shape, which tends to be the most affordable option.
- DELICIOUS, HEALTHY AND SAFE - The Perfect Beef Jerky treat chews to train and Reward your dog. From...
- SINGLE INGREDIENT, ALL NATURAL AND DELICIOUS - Slow baked Beef Esophagus made with a single...
- GREAT FOR ORAL CARE - Helps promote healthy chewing habits along with better oral health care. With...
- HEALTHIER JOINTS - 123 Treats Beef Esophagus are packed with vitamins, nutrients, and minerals....
Beef esophagus is cheaper than bully sticks or pig’s ears, making it the most economical option for regular use. Owners appreciate that you can purchase 6” or 12” options, helping get the perfect size for your dog.
Like the bully sticks and pig’s ears, some dogs eat the beef esophagus very quickly and don’t get much “play time” out of this goodie. Some owners noted that the beef esophagus smells a bit more than the bully stick or pig’s ear.
While antlers aren’t edible in the same way as the above natural chew toys, they’re even better for big-time chewers. Dogs love the taste, and you can get a dizzying array of shapes and sizes from Amazon.
Unfortunately, antlers can also splinter in a dangerous way for your dog, so you’ll need to keep an eye on your pooch while he chomps on these.
- Long-Lasting & Odor Free!: Pet Expertise Antler chews last much longer than bully sticks or chews...
- Safe & Healthy!: Deer antlers for dogs are much less likely to chip or splinter when they are being...
- Variety!: Antler chews vary in shape, thickness and color. A benefit of purchasing multiple antlers...
Owners report that their dogs enjoyed being able to hold onto part of the antler with their paws while they gnaw another part. Some owners also liked some of the all-natural antler options that have beneficial nutrients.
Some dogs are able to splinter the antlers and swallow the shards – his can be very dangerous, so you really need to monitor your dog with these. Other owners noted that the constant playtime with a hard antler was scratching their floors!
Another one of my favorites, the Water Buffalo Horn can double as a puzzle toy and natural chew. Many dogs will have a ball gnawing on the flavorful horn on its own. However, dogs will enjoy the toy even more if their owners stuff it full of treats!
The Water Buffalo Horn is the only natural puzzle toy that I know of that can also hold treats inside – pretty nifty.
- 100% Natural, Healthy, One-Ingredient Dog Chews Sourced From Grass Fed, Free Range Water Buffalo
- Water Buffalo Horn Is The Only Ingredient – No Chemicals, Preservatives, Additives, Or Hormones
- Unique Shape And Texture Promotes Positive Chewing And Acts As A Natural Dental Aid To Clean Teeth...
- High In Protein And Low In Fat To Keep Your Dog Lean, Active, And Healthy
The Water Buffalo Horn is the cheapest of all the long-term natural chews. Many owners enjoyed stuffing the horn full of treats to entice their dog to chew even longer.
Some dogs weren’t interested in the horn without treats in it. Some owners suspected that this chew toy simply doesn’t smell or taste as good as other options out there.
For another edible natural chew, check out the Himalayan Yak Chew. This toy-meets-treat is made of compressed yak milk, cow milk, salt, and lime juice. Each individual treat is quite affordable, but most dogs will finish a treat quite quickly.
- Ancient recipe from the Himalayas
- All natural ingredients: yak and cow milk, salt and lime juice
- Guaranteed analysis: protein 526 -percent carbohydrates 303-percent fat 09 -percent ash food 60...
- No preservatives
Owners were impressed with this limited ingredient, vegetarian option for their dogs. Since it’s not dehydrated meat, the Yak Chew smells less than other natural options, so it’s great for owners who don’t like stinky stuff in their house.
Some owners were frustrated with how quickly their dogs ate this treat, and found this chew to be a bit too pricey to buy regularly.
This chew toy option blends the sinewy meat of a bully stick with the long-term chewing of an antler. Many dogs can’t get enough of this flavorful treat and will keep coming back to this chew toy for months, long after the smoked meat bits are gone.
- RICH MEATY FLAVOR – Jack&Pup Beef Knuckle Bone dog treats are slowly roasted and naturally smoked...
- 100% DIGESTIBLE & SAFE – Guaranteed to be fully digestible and guaranteed not to cause any...
This toy provides both rich flavor and long-term chewing power. It lasts a long time, making it a good investment for even 24/7 chewers.
The quality of these knuckle bones seems to vary, with some owners reporting that they purchased several that they loved before ordering one that showed up disappointingly small or fragile.
Raw Beef Marrow Bone
Raw beef marrow bones are another great option, but you cannot purchase raw bones on Amazon, since they need to be refrigerated and consumed quickly. Speak to a local butcher or pet store to acquire one.
These raw bones should be eaten outside under supervision, as they’re quite messy. What’s especially great about this chew is that the marrow is nutritious and many dogs go absolutely insane at the opportunity to chew on fresh meaty bones.
Owners who can stomach the mess and keep their home sanitary love these bones for their dogs. Dogs go crazy for raw bones, munching on the meaty bits and then working on the bones until they get to the marrow.
Some owners find these quite chews repulsive (understandably). Since they’re raw meat, they’re also a risk for carrying pathogens. The mess and smell can be quite bad, especially if owners feed them to their dogs indoors.
What’s your favorite dog chew toy? Does your dog like one “type” of chew toy more than others, or does he like a variety? We want to know!