Whether you own a dog with a high-maintenance coat or you are considering starting up your own mobile pet grooming business, the first thing you’ll need to get started is a good dog grooming table!
A dog grooming table provides an easy and safe platform on which you can place your dog while you brush and trim his hair. While they aren’t strictly necessary, they certainly make the activity quicker, easier and safer for both you and your dog.
Best Dog Grooming Tables: Quick Picks
- Flying Pig Bone Pattern Grooming Table [Most Heavy Duty] Owners are extremely impressed how super sturdy this table is. Despite the sturdiness, it’s also fairly lightweight and easy to collapse. The larger model can hold up to 330 lbs!
- Master Equipment Pet Grooming Table [Best For Small Dogs] An affordable and ultra-portable 18″ diameter round grooming table suitable for dogs under 15 lbs.
- Bestpet Adjustable Pet Grooming Table [Most Affordable] An adjustable yet affordable grooming table that can have its height altered for various canine clients.
Qualities of Good Portable Dog Grooming Tables
Before deciding which grooming table is right for you, you need to understand the things that distinguish the best grooming tables from the no-so-great grooming tables.
Whereas those in the former category will help make grooming time easier, those in the later are often frustrating to use. In some cases, they may even endanger the pups who climb atop them.
Some of the most important qualities to seek in a grooming table include:
- The best grooming tables enable you to adjust the height of the platform. This not only allows you better access and ease of use, it can also make grooming more comfortable, which can be especially important for those grooming more than one dog.
- Good grooming tables come equipped with an adjustable arm and grooming loop. Even the best-behaved pups usually need a little “encouragement” to keep them in position for an extended grooming session, and the best way to accomplish this is with an adjustable arm and grooming loop to keep pooches in place.
- Grooming tables should be easy to clean. Tables with myriad cracks and crevices will collect hair and quickly become a furry mess. The more smooth surfaces and corners a table has, the better. Additionally, the mat should be easy to remove so that you can wash it between uses.
- Safe grooming tables feature a non-slip surface on which dogs can stand. Most quality tables feature a soft rubber mat to ensure your dog’s feet stay comfortable and that he won’t slip off the table while he’s wet.
- The best tables are sturdy, yet light enough to allow easy movement. You don’t want a flimsy table that will fall apart or fail when it is in use, but if you can’t lift the table and move it around easily, it won’t be very portable.
- Really good tables have a shelf or basket beneath the table. These types of places give you a convenient place to store towels, combs, dog hairdryers and other essential grooming tools. Slotted shelves are ideal, as they won’t collect water during use.
- Good portable grooming tables feature rubber-capped feet. Rubber-capped feet will not only provide more stability, they’ll help protect the floor underneath from damage.
Dealing With Difficult Dogs on the Table
Some dogs don’t seem to mind baths and grooming time, and they are happy to hang out on the table while you snip, clip and comb their hair. This is particularly true of those who have been groomed frequently since a very young age (which is a good reason to start grooming early if you have a dog with a high-maintenance coat).
However, many other dogs consider grooming to be roughly akin to root-canal work. These dogs will resist your attempts at every turn, and generally make the process very difficult. Some may even act aggressively and try to nip at the hand holding the clippers.
Others are simply scared of the entire concept, from the loud noises made by blow dryers to the idea of sitting on an elevated table. And while nervous dogs are easier to handle than aggressive dogs, they are still difficult and unpredictable.
Fortunately, there are a number of strategies you can employ to help make your dog feel comfortable and reduce the amount of chaos that occurs while they are sitting on the table.
Introduce your dog to the table in a positive manner. Before you even start thinking about grooming your dog, introduce him to the concept of sitting and standing on the elevated table. For example, you can just put him on the table (without using grooming loops) and give him lots of praise and a treat. Repeat this tactic a few times to help drive home the point that the table is a fun place to be.
Start grooming high-maintenance dogs from a very young age. Dogs are extremely adaptable animals, and they learn what to expect from life through experience. If your dog has been hopping up on the table for most of his life, he’ll likely learn to tolerate the table without much fuss. You can start grooming most dogs at about 10 to 12 weeks old.
Provide a stable ramp or set of stairs so that large dogs can safely and confidently access the table. Small breeds can simply be picked up and placed on the table, and they will usually take this in stride. However, large breeds may become frightened and struggle mightily when you attempt to lift them in the same way. Just provide a safe way for them to climb up themselves (consider dog stairs or ramps), and they’ll feel much safer from the get go.
Always select a stable and sturdy table of the right height. Wobbly tables make for nervous dogs, and if the table wiggles enough, they may be compelled to jump down. Additionally, you want to ensure it is easy for you to work around the table, so the job will proceed more quickly. Make sure the table sits at a comfortable height for you, and you’ll both feel better.
5 Best Portable Dog Grooming Tables
The following five products are some of the very best portable dog-grooming tables available. Just be sure to select the best table for your specific grooming needs.
1. Flying Pig Bone Pattern Grooming Table
About: The Flying Pig Bone Pattern Grooming Table is a robustly built, professional-caliber product that will suit both amateur and professional groomers alike.
- Flying Pig Heavy Duty Grooming Table. 38"L x 22"~18"W x 31.5"H
- Table Surface: Bone Shape Texture Non Slip Rubber
- Table Frame: Rust Resist Stainless Steel (Can Hold up to 330 Ibs)
- Equipped with Flying Pig all steel/stainless steel Heavy Duty Grooming Arm
- Rust-resistant steel frame provides a 330-pound capacity for grooming even the largest dogs
- Rubber mat features non-skid, bone-pattern texture ensures dogs can stand comfortably and safely
- Comes equipped with proprietary stainless steel foldable, adjustable grooming arm and loop
- Comes equipped with metal storage basket to hold your tools and equipment
- Available in small, medium and large sizes (see dimensions below
- Available in three different colors: black, blue and orange
- 32″ long x 21″~18″ wide x 31.5″ high
- 38″ long x 22” to 18″ wide x 31.5″ high
- 44″ long x 24″~20″ wide x 31.5″ high
Simply put, the Flying Pig grooming table is one of the best tables available on the market. It is sturdy enough for large dogs, and strong enough for strugglers.
The Flying Pig table is fairly expensive. However, this is to be expected of such a tough and high-quality table. Truly premium products are rarely cheap. Owners also note that the table is lighter than they expected, and very easy to collapse and assemble.
2. Master Equipment Pet Grooming Table
About: The Master Equipment Pet Grooming Table is rather different from the other portable tables in our review. This is a table-top unit, designed exclusively for smaller dogs.
Accordingly, it is not ideal for full-time professionals, but it is an excellent option for owners of small dogs who require frequent grooming.
- Introducing the easy way to groom small pets!
- Easy-clean, non-slip tabletop measures 18" in diameter and provides traction and control while...
- Rubber feet offer stability and keep the tabletop in place
- Can be used on any flat surface
- 18-inch-diameter, rotating top allows you to groom your dog from all sides without having to reposition him
- Textured rubber mat provides a safe place for dogs to stand
- Rubber feet provide stability and protect table tops from damage
- Available in three colors: black, blue and purple
Dimensions: 18.5” diameter x 4.5” high
Most owners found that the Master Equipment Grooming Table worked perfectly for their needs. It not only works well for small dogs who do not put up much resistance during grooming sessions, it looks great too! Plus, because it weighs only 10 pounds, the Master Equipment Table is a great choice for those who value portability highly.
Most groomers had nothing but praise for the Master Equipment Grooming Table, but a few complained that it lacked the quality they expected for the price.
3. Giantex Large Portable Pet Grooming Table
About: Giantex’s Portable Pet Grooming Table is a mid-level grooming table, ideally suited for home use or small-scale professionals. Like most good portable tables, the legs fold up under the unit, enabling you to store it in a closet or put it in the back of your car (making it a great pick for mobile dog grooming).
- Comes With A Clamp-On Adjustable Grooming Arm And Security Nylon Grooming Loop
- Table Dimension: 32'' X 20.5'' (L X W)
- Whole Unit Dimension: 32'' X 20.5'' X 29.6'' (L X W X H)
- Size Of The Mesh Tray: 26'' X 12.6'' (L X W)
- Clamp-on arm can be moved anywhere around the table for ease of use and better positioning
- Includes mesh tray to hold all of your grooming tools and equipment
- Rubber leg caps will protect your floor from damage
- Sleek and attractive design
Dimensions: 32” long X 20.5” wide X 29.6” tall
The Giantex Grooming Table is a high-quality product that most users prais highly. Several owners reported that it was sturdy enough for 90-pound+ dogs.
Some groomers complained about the pressboard construction, but that is typical for tables at this price level. This table would likely fall apart if used in a high-volume grooming office, but it should be adequately durable for most other applications.
4. Go Pet Club Grooming Table With Arm
About: The Go Pet Club Grooming Table With Arm is a simple yet solid grooming table that meets the needs of a basic at-home groomer.
- Size: 30"L x 18" W x 32" H Color : Black
- Table features strong goal post style legs with rubber capped feet, ensuring the table does not...
- Goal post style legs allow for easy fold up during transport and also add extra stability
- Rust-proof materials such as the deluxe aluminum edging along the table and the advanced coating...
- Grooming arm can have height adjusted up to 40″
- Goal-post style legs allow for easy folding and transportation
- Includes arm with loop
- Available in several sizes.
- 30 Inch Model: 30″L x 18″ W x 32″ H
- 36 Inch Model: 36″L x 24″W x 31″H
- 42 Inch Model: 42″L x 24″W x 30″H
- 48 Inch Model: 48″L x 23.75″W x 30″H,
Owners note this table is fairly lightweight and easy to transport. For owner-grooming, most are very happy with this table.
Definitely not a professional groomer’s table. Height cannot be adjusted
5. Bestpet Large Adjustable Pet Dog Grooming Table
About: The Bestpet Adjustable Pet Grooming Table is a no-nonsense portable grooming table that is great for casual groomers and parents of high-maintenance dogs.
- ✔【ADJUSTABLE AND FOLDABLE DESIGN】 Our grooming table adjusted for your varied needs. This...
- ✔【EASY INSTALLATION FOR CONVENIENT USE】Our grooming table no need for any tools to complete...
- ✔【MULTIFUNCTIONAL USAGE】Our grooming table is suitable for trimming, grooming, bathing, drying...
- ✔【SUPER EASY TO CLEAN】Our grooming table is scrap resistant and Static-free board so hair and...
One of the least expensive options available, the Bestpet Dog Grooming Table will easily pay for itself as you can stop paying for a groomer and start maintaining your dog’s coat yourself.
- Comes with a 30-inch-long, adjustable arm
- Collapsible design makes it easy to set up, break down and transport with ease
- The frame is made from rust-resistant steel so it will last for years to come
- The table features rounded corners for the safety of you and your pup
Dimensions: 32″ long x 24″ wide x 33″ high
The Bestpet Grooming Table is a very affordable product, that is priced much lower than many other comparable tables on the market. Most groomers were satisfied with the table, and several owners of moderately large dogs (those in the 50- to 75-pound range) reported that this table was sturdy enough for their heavier pups.
A few owners expressed disappointment in the durability of the table, but this is to be expected of an entry-level, low-cost option. Additionally, a few reported that the odor associated with the rubber mat was very strong.
Have you purchased a grooming table lately? We’d love to hear about your experiences! And if there are any professional groomers with special insight out there, be sure to share your thoughts too! We’d love to hear your perspective on the subject, as well as any specific product recommendations.