One of the easiest ways to keep your dog safe is by using a proper ID tag.
With a wide variety of colors, collar attachments, and added features to choose from, there is bound to be a dog ID tag to match up perfectly with your dog’s unique set of needs.
Below, we’ll explain why dog ID tags are so important, go over some of the vital information every dog tag should have, and identify our top picks for pet ID tags on the market today.
But, if you’re just looking for a quick recommendation, check out our quick picks below!
Quick Picks: Best Dog ID Tags
- #1 GoTags Stainless Steel Pet ID Tags [Best Durable, No-Frills Tag] – Made from stainless steel, available in several different cute shapes, and large enough to accommodate eight lines of text, this is the best option for owners seeking a long-lasting, high-quality dog ID tag.
- #2 Leash Boss Pet ID Tag [Best for Outdoorsy Dogs] — If your dog loves to run, jump, and play in forests, fields, and other natural settings, you’ll want to use slide-on dog tags, which won’t get snagged on anything. The Leash Boss Pet ID Tag is a perfect choice for these situations.
- #3 QALO Custom Silicone Dog ID Tags [Quietest ID Tag] — If you can’t stand the jingle-jangle of your pet’s ID tag, opt for one of these silicone tags by QALO, which will get the job done quietly.
- #4 PINMEI Scannable Dog ID Tag [Tag that Conveys the Most Information] — The PINMEI Scannable Tag gives you the opportunity to set up an online pet profile, which anyone who finds your dog can access by simply scanning it with their smartphone. This makes it easy to relay important contact or health info.
The Eight Best Dog ID Tags: Our Picks
There are a ton of options on the market, but here are our picks for the best dog ID tags available. Just remember to choose one that you think will work best for you and your pupper.
1. GoTags Stainless Steel Pet ID Tags
About: GoTags ID Tags are perfect for owners who want maximum flexibility when it comes to designing the ideal ID tag for their pooch.
- GREAT IDENTIFICATION FOR YOUR DOG & CAT - When it comes to durability and quality our stainless...
- FAR STRONGER THAN ALUMINUM TAGS AND LESS PRONE TO WEAR, stainless steel lasts longer and is unlikely...
- WITH 2 SIDED ENGRAVING & UP TO 8 LINES OF PERSONALIZED TEXT, there's plenty of room for all of your...
- TO ORDER: SELECT SHAPE & SIZE FROM THE ABOVE CHOICES. After selecting shape & size, click CUSTOMIZE...
Features: These sturdy stainless-steel dog tags come in a variety of shapes and sizes for maximum flexibility. Each size is permanently engraved with up to eight lines of text. Best of all, each tag is made in the USA ensuring that you’ll receive a top-notch product.
The lightweight tags are about as thick as a quarter, so they won’t be too heavy while hanging on your dog’s collar.
Options: These tags come in large in small sizes measuring approximately 1-inch and 1.5-inches long respectively. Notably, GoTags offers 9 different shapes to appropriately match your dog’s personality.
- You can get a GoTag in one of 2 sizes and 9 different shapes
- Made from stainless steel
- Space for up to 8 lines of text
- Available in 9 different shapes to express your pupper’s personality
- High-quality tags, but they are still reasonably priced
Customers loved the unique shape options that came from selecting these tags. The double-sided engraving was perfect for fitting relatively large amounts of vital identification information. These tags are great for someone looking for a “standard issue” tag, or those who need lots of space to print information.
It appears that the engraved text did not hold up well for super active pups, and it wore away when the metal became scratched. But, you may not have many other options if you need to include a lot of info on the tag.
2. Leash Boss Pet ID Tag
About: These beautiful slide-on dog tags by Leash Boss are perfect for active pups — especially those who love to work or play outdoors.
- Thick, durable, and curved to fit - At .06" Thickness we offer the thickest, most durable stainless...
- Deep engraving won't wear down - Unlike laser etched tags, we use a special engraving process to get...
- 5 lines of text & fits adjustable collars - Specially made for adjustable nylon collars with all the...
- Won't fall off - This tag stays in place on your dog or cat's nylon webbing collar without any...
Features: If you’re worried about Fido’s dog tag flying off or you can’t stand the jingle of the traditional dog tag, you’ll love these stainless steel pet tags by Leash Boss. The tags slip-on directly to your dog’s collar, allowing them to remain securely (and silently) in place.
Each tag is custom engraved with up to five lines of text to keep your dog properly identified. Though these tags are not compatible with leather or fabric collars, they are the perfect addition to any nylon webbing collar.
These tags are also designed to be comfortable for your canine, as they are specially curved so that they won’t dig into your pup’s neck during use.
Many also consider slide-on tags safer, since the hanging tags can potentially get stuck or caught in floor gaps. This means they are an especially good option for dogs who hang out a lot on floor decks.
Options: These sturdy tags are built for collars ranging from ½-inch to 1-inch in thickness making them perfect for dogs of all sizes.
- Slip directly over your dog’s collar, instead of hanging from a metal ring
- Tags lie flat against your dog’s collar
- Space for 5 lines of text
- Designed for nylon webbing collars and may not work with other types
- Silent tags, which won’t jingle and jangle when your pet moves
These sturdy tags were great picks for owners with active pups. The deep engraving of the letters ensured that the tags were easy to read, and the classy stainless steel appearance looked great on any nylon collar. Owners also loved how quiet these tags were.
Though these tags are super sturdy on nylon-webbing collars, they won’t work well with leather or fabric collars.
3. QALO Custom Silicone Dog ID Tags
About: You’ll love the unique look and construction of these QALO Silicone Pet ID Tags built with active pups in mind.
- PERFECT FOR ANY PUP OR PET: QALO Silicone dog tags add your personalised touch with up to 12...
- DOG TESTED, HUMAN APPROVED: We designed these to be functional and show off your dog’s unique...
- FAMILY FIRST: At QALO, our aim from the beginning was to ensure we created a community and fueled a...
- BUILT FOR YOU: Because we want to ensure your satisifaction custom ordered Dog ID Tag take up to a...
Features: These silicone dog tags are the perfect pick for active pups with their jingle-free design.
The 100% silicone tags are fully customizable with double-sided printing and up to six lines of engraved text. You’ll also get an included handy case to keep your tag dry and protected when not in use.
Notably, the tags are slightly thicker than the average quarter-sized dog tag, adding to their visibility making them great for larger-sized pups.
The tags also include a “no questions asked” warranty, so you’ll be able to get a new tag or refund should you be dissatisfied in any way.
Options: QALO dog tags come in five different base designs (from mountain skylines to howling wolves) that can be personalized to match your pooch. They come in one size with an included metal ring for easy attachment to any collar.
- Made from 100% silicone
- Space for up to 6 lines of engraved text
- Durable and silent
- You’ll have your choice of 5 different base designs
- Backed by a one-time, anytime warranty
These are pretty badass pet ID tags, which are perfect for large, active pups. Owners loved how the letters were embossed in the tag itself, ensuring that the vital information was always visible.
The soft, silicone rubber is not chew-proof so these may not be the best pick if you’re pooch has a tendency to gnaw on whatever he can get his paws on. Additionally, these tags take a little longer to ship than some others (it’ll take you about a week to get one).
4. io tags Pet ID Tags
About: These sassy pet ID tags by io tags are great for smaller breeds and perfect for expressing your pup’s one-of-a-kind personality.
- Rich and vibrant color with gorgeous sparkling glitter. Available in many adorable colors to match...
- Excellent quality, stylish, extremely cute and beautiful. Tag is light weight, strong, durable and...
- Engraving by io tags. Name and contact info are laser etched in large print on the back panel. Text...
- Tag dimension 1-1/16" x 1". Engrave 3 lines of text or less for better legibility
Features: Your pooch is sure to stand out in the crowd with these glittery Pet ID tags. The tags are custom engraved with up to three lines of information. You also have the option to get a custom glow-in-the-dark ID tag silencer with your tag to increase visibility and keep your pooch jingle-free.
Each tag is made from ultra-thin and lightweight materials, so it won’t weigh down your pup as he goes about his day.
Options: You can get these tags in 12 different colors and with or without a silencer for maximum flexibility. Each tag is about 1-inch long.
- Very colorful tags with glitter for extra bling
- Available with optional, glow-in-the-dark silencer rings
- Clear epoxy coating helps protect the tag
- Space for up to 3 lines of text
- Available in your choice of 12 colors
Dog owners loved the simplicity of this tag combined with the subtle glitter flair. The tag is lightweight, and the variety of colors available make this pet ID tag perfect for households with multiple pets.
Since these dog tags are only lasered and not engraved, some users found these pet ID tags a little more difficult to read.
5. License Plate Custom Dog Tags
About: These adorable license-plate themed dog tags by 1 Cute Pooch are perfect for keeping your pup safe while simultaneously showing off your state pride.
- Customized to feature YOUR pet's name, photo and info!
- Available for all 50 states and Canadian provinces
- Made of aluminum; measures 1 1/8" x 1 7/8" x .040"
- Front side features your pet's name. 8 characters maximum (including spaces)
Features: These sweet license plate dog tags are sure to help your pup stand out in the crowd while still having all the needed information to keep your fur baby safe.
These custom dog ID plates feature your dog’s photo, address, and any other contact information (maximum of five lines of text). As an added bonus, you have extra room to put a small character trait or “microchipped” as a caption under your dog’s photo.
On the opposite side, your dog’s name is embossed in a license-plate style tag with the state of your choosing. The backside of the tag printed upside-down to make it easy to read when flipped over.
These lightweight aluminum tags fit both small and large pups for maximum flexibility.
Options: These license plate tags are available for all 50 states along with Guam, Puerto Rico, and Canadian provinces. The tags are available in one size, which measures about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
- Designed to match the official license plate of your state
- Choose from any of the 50 states, as well as Guam, Puerto Rico or the Canadian provinces
- Double-sided tags that feature your pet’s name on one side and contact info on the opposite
- Space for 2 optional information lines on the back
- Made from lightweight aluminum
These unique and fun tags are some of the few to include your pup’s full photo and five lines of text. Customers loved the design of these pet id tags and appreciated the tag’s large level of visibility.
Since these tags are made out of aluminum instead of stainless steel, some customers found them to be less durable, especially on active pups.
6. GoTags Funny Dog and Cat Tags
About: These hilarious pet ID tags fro GoTags are simple, compact, and cheeky, making them great for small and sassy breeds.
- FUNNY PHRASE TAGS. Our premium quality Anodized Aluminum pet tags include a decorative front with up...
- COMES WITH GLOW IN THE DARK TAG SILENCER to eliminate tag noise and protect the tag finish and...
- TAG SIZE = Approx. 1.4 x 1.2 inches
- TO ORDER: SELECT DESIGN FROM THE ABOVE CHOICES. After selecting tag design, click CUSTOMIZE NOW to...
Features: GoTags offers hilarious pet ID tags with great phrases like “Have Your People Call My People” to get your dog’s message across while still keeping him safe. The laser-engraved tags can be customized with up to four lines of text.
Plus, you won’t have to worry about your pet’s tag jingling every time they turn their head — each tag comes with a glow in the dark silencing border ring for your convenience. The lightweight aluminum tags come in a classic, circular design making them the perfect addition to any pup collar.
Options: These funny pet ID tags come in your choice of seven different colors to match your dog’s personal sense of style. You’ll also get to choose from eight hilarious catchphrases to choose from to help bring your dog home.
- You can choose this tag with any of 8 funny messages
- Available in 7 different colors
- The back side of the tag has room for up to 4 lines of contact info
- Comes with a glow-in-the-dark silencing ring
- Made from anodized aluminum
These are some of the best cute dog tags currently on the market. Customers loved the silly phrases of these dog tags and the compact size made these a perfect pick for smaller breeds. The included rubber silencer was also a thoughtful addition that helped reduce noise and further protected the dog ID tag from wear and tear.
Some owners complained that the laser-engraved letters wore out over time, so you may have to replace these funny tags more frequently than you would some others.
7. PINMEI Scannable QR Code Dog ID Tag
About: The PINMEI Scannable Dog ID Tag is a durable and attractive pet ID tag that leverages technology to help make it easier for owners and pets to be reunited.
- This Tag is made of zinc alloy and finished with epoxy making it's surface sleek, stainless and...
- Storage of your pet’s information - Each tag with QR code and web address links to a FREE online...
- Toll free 24/7 Found Pet Hotline printed on tag - 24/7 "Found Pet Hotline" that is staffed and ready...
- Provides multiple ways for your pet to get home fast - By scanning the QR code, typing the ID link,...
Features: At first glance, the PINMEI Scannable Dog ID Tag just looks like a fancy-looking pet tag. It is made from zinc alloy and covered in an epoxy finish to help protect it and keep it looking great.
However, upon closer inspection, you’ll notice that this tag doesn’t come with the kind of printed info that is standard for most other dog tags. Instead, it simply features an identification number, a phone number for a lost pet hotline, a web address, and a scannable QR code.
Here’s how it works: When someone finds your dog, he or she can simply call the hotline or enter the identification number on the provided web address. Alternatively, he or she can also simply scan the QR code with a smart phone.
Any of these three actions will provide access to your pet’s personalized profile page. Here, you can not only post your contact information, but also any important medical information about your dog (such as food sensitivities or medication requirements).
Options: You can get these tags in your choice of four different versions, which all feature different graphics. You can pick an orange, heart-shaped tag that features an image of a dog; a red, heart-shaped tag with an image of two dogs; a white, round tag with an image of a dog and cat; or a yellow, bone-shaped tag with the image of a dog’s face.
You can also sign up for an optional, premium program that will notify you anytime your dog’s tag is scanned. It will also provide you with the GPS coordinates of the phone used to scan the tag, if the phone user has the GPS function activated.
- Made from zinc alloy and coated in epoxy for durability
- Features several ways for people to look up your dog’s vital information and your contact information
- Premium option available that notifies you whenever your pet’s tag is scanned
- Available in four different versions
This is a fantastic option for owners of dogs who need to convey a lot of information to anyone who finds their dog, as you’re not limited by the space available on the actual tag. Most owners found that it worked exactly as advertised, and helped them feel more confident in a happy reunion, should their dog ever run off or escape.
There aren’t many downsides to this tag, except that you can’t print any info directly on it. This shouldn’t be a problem, unless the person who finds your dog isn’t technically savvy enough to look up your dog’s info.
8. GoTags Personalized Dog Collar
About: The GoTags Personalized Dog Collar eliminates the need for a tag at all! Instead, you can just have your contact info printed directly on your dog’s collar.
- GREAT IDENTIFICATION FOR YOUR DOG. Our strong nylon dog collar comes personalized with your dog's...
- DURABLY MADE WITH COMFORT IN MIND. Made of high-quality nylon webbing, a stainless steel D-ring for...
- 5 COLLAR COLORS and 15 EMBROIDERY THREAD COLOR OPTIONS
- AVAILABLE IN 4 ADJUSTABLE SIZES: XSmall (3/8" wide by 8"-12" adjustable length); Small (5/8" wide by...
Features: The GoTags Personalized Dog Collar is a pretty straightforward pet collar.
It is made from durable nylon webbing, and it comes with a side release plastic buckle and a stainless steel D-ring you can use to clip on a leash. Like most other nylon collars, you can adjust the size to ensure a good fit for Fido.
But here’s the big difference: When ordering this collar, you’ll have the chance to not only select the size, collar color, and thread color you want, but you can also add up to 25 characters of text. This will usually give you enough characters to include your dog’s name and your 10-digit phone number.
Options: You can choose from four different sizes, five different collar colors, and 15 thread colors when ordering. Additionally, you can have up to 25 characters (including spaces) printed on the collar when ordering.
- Fairly typical nylon collar that comes printed with your dog’s info on it
- Available in four sizes, each of which are adjustable
- You can have up to 25 characters printed on the collar
- You can select the collar color and the thread color used
- Comes with a stainless steel D-ring leash attachment
The majority of owners loved this collar and reported that it was durable, easy to read, and fit well. This would be a great choice for owners and dogs who simply don’t want a tag hanging from their collar.
While the collar seems well made, and the concept is pretty neat, some owners complained that the sliding adjustment buckle obscured some of the information they had printed.
9. Zee.Dog Jingle-Free ID Tag
About: Zee.Dog ID Tags are modern, sleek ID tags for the minimalist owner looking for an ID tag that’s discreet and not obtrusive.
Features: The Zee.Dog ID tag is made from durable anodized aluminum that are engraved with your dog’s essential info.
Available in black and silver, these ID tags slide seamlessly onto your dog’s collar and don’t make a peep as your dog jumps, runs, and frolics throughout the house. If you have an especially active or playful pup, these silent, jingle-free ID tags make be a lifesaver for your sanity.
The ID tags also come in several different sizes for various-sized collars. While they are designed specifically to fit with Zee.Dog’s line of dog collars, they should work for most standard collars as well.
- Simple, minimalist design
- Silent and jingle-free
- Get your pet’s info engraved, free of charge
The sleek, minimalist design of these ID tags will certainly appeal to many. Plus, the jingle-free design is great for dogs who get frustrated with the jingle-jangle noise of standard ID tags.
It’s a bit annoying that Zee.Dog won’t confirm if the ID tags are compatible with standard collars, but they do provide sizing dimensions in their product “Sizes” drop down so you can check against your own dog’s collar to confirm compatibility.
Why Does Your Dog Need an ID Tag?
There are a number of reasons all pooches should have an ID tag.
For starters, ID tags signal to strangers that your pooch has a home, and they’ll help whoever finds your dog get him back in your arms.
Additionally, dog tags will also convey that your dog’s shots are up-to-date, as well as any important health information rescuers may need to know.
Dog microchip implants can provide this kind of information, but that won’t help the average person who finds your pet — some won’t even know that dogs are often microchipped.
And even if your dog is found by someone savvy enough to know that some dogs have a microchip implanted under their skin, they’ll still need a vet or shelter’s help to read the chip.
But dog ID tags can provide anyone who finds your dog with vital information like your phone number, email address, social media handle, or street address without the need for special equipment.
Even if your dog doesn’t wear a collar or harness on a regular basis, it’s always a good idea to have at least one properly tagged collar to use whenever you head out for a walk or travel to an unfamiliar environment.
What Information Do You Put on a Dog ID Tag?
Dog tags have pretty limited real estate, so make sure you’re deliberate when choosing what information to put on your pet ID tag.
Here are a couple of things we’d suggest you include:
Your contact information is undoubtedly the most important piece of info to include on your pet’s ID tag. This will help the person who finds your pooch get him back home to you.
Your home address can be helpful to include if you have the room on the tag to do so. Phone numbers are also great, but they may change over time, so try to include some other way potential rescuers can track you down.
So, in addition to a phone number or address, we recommend including your email address or a long-term social media handle to your dog’s tag.
Your Dog’s Name
Make sure you put your dog’s name on the tag to ensure that he is properly identified if he ends up far away from home.
This will aid in the reunification process and let the people who find him know what to call him. This may be reassuring for your potentially frightened pooch.
You’ll want to make sure that anyone who finds your dog knows that his shots are up-to-date. This will not only let them handle or interact with him without worrying about rabies or other diseases, it may help you avoid fines and other penalties.
It’ll also help ensure that your pet is properly cared for if he is taken to an animal hospital or shelter.
In many places, you should receive an updated tag along with a vaccination certificate whenever your dog goes in for vaccines. Try to put these tags on your dog’s collar as soon as you get them so you don’t forget or misplace the tiny tag.
However, these tags rarely hold up to a lot of wear and tear, so you’ll still want to include your dog’s vaccination information on his long-term ID tag too.
If you have enough space, be sure to put your veterinarian’s contact information on the tag.
This will give the person or shelter who finds your dog another potential avenue by which they can find you. And, if nothing else, your vet will be able to let the rescuers know about any relevant health issues that must be considered.
You’ll want to update this tag if you change practices, but luckily, most vets keep contact information for both past and present clients, so your dog has a likely chance of being found even if the vet tag isn’t up to date.
Other Important Information
There are some other things you may want to include on your dog’s tag, but these will vary based on your circumstances.
You can, for example, have “microchipped” engraved on your dog’s ID tag to further assist in the identification process. Moreover, it may be worth your time to include important character traits on the tag too. So, if you have a nervous or anxious dog, or your dog is especially friendly, indicate such on the tag. This will help ensure he’s treated well while waiting to be reunited with his person.
DIY Pet ID Tags: Making Your Own Dog Tags
Making your own DIY Dog Tags can be a labor of love that will help keep your pup safe and allow you to make a custom-crafted set of ID tags for your pooch.
Check out the plans below, which come courtesy of Youtuber Tori Mistick. They demonstrate how to create an adorable and affordable set of dog tags at home.
The process basically involves stamping the letters into the metal tag with a hammer and the outlining the engraving with a Sharpie.
Creating DIY dog tags from home can be one of the best ways to save money if your dog has multiple collars. You won’t have to move over your dog’s tags every time he wears something different, plus each tag will be personalized with an extra touch of love.
Dog ID tags are one of the most essential pieces of pup safety gear, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be fun! The right ID tag for your dog will serve as a unique extension of his personality while still keeping him safe in case he gets lost.
Have you had any luck with these dog ID tags? Do you have any other important safety tips to share? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!