It’s important to be extra vigilant when stepping out on a stroll with Spot after dark. You’ll need to keep your furry friend visible so that he can stay safe while enjoying his final potty break before bed.
There are a couple of different ways to help make your pup more visible at night, such as light-up LED dog collars. But you can also opt for a glow-in-the-dark ID tag.
Not only do glow-in-the-dark tags help motorists see your dog, but they can also keep your pooch visible while he’s playing in the backyard or laying around inside when the lights are out.
There are a lot of great dog ID tags out there with all kinds of neat designs, but if you spend a lot of time with your canine outside in the evening, it doesn’t get much better than glow-in-the-dark dog tags!
We’ll share some of the best glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags and provide some general after-dark safety tips below.
Best Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tags: Quick Picks
- #1 Silidog Tag [Best All Around Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tag]: This sturdy silicone dog tag is bright, durable, and silent, making it a favorite amongst pooch parents.
- #2 GLO-X Tag [Most Visible Glow-in-the-Dark Dog Tag]: You’ll still need an identification tag with this standalone glow-in-the-dark tag, but this one will help your canine companion stay super visible at night.
- #3 Io Tag [Most Affordable Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tag]: This glow-in-the-dark ID tag gets the job done at an affordable price with a super cute design.
Why Use Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tags?
Are you unsure if a glow-in-the-dark dog ID tag is a good fit for Fido? Here are a couple of reasons why owners rely on these tags to keep their furry friends secure.
- They provide nighttime walk safety. The biggest reason to use a glow-in-the-dark ID tag is that it’ll keep your dog visible to motorists and other pedestrians during walks.
- They keep your dog visible while spending time outside. It can be difficult to keep track of your dog at night, especially if he has a darker coat color. Glow-in-the-dark ID tags make it easier to see your dog while he’s playing out in the backyard or roaming around unlit dog parks.
- They help you avoid tripping over your pooch en route to your midnight snack. We all have pooch parental guilt from interrupting our dog’s slumber by tripping over her on the way to the bathroom or kitchen in the middle of the night. Glow-in-the-dark ID tags make your dog more visible indoors too so that you won’t unintentionally interrupt your canine’s circadian rhythm.
Given these benefits — and the fact that they are pretty affordable — it just makes sense to put a glow-in-the-dark dog tag on your pet, whether he wears a super-comfy dog collar or a no-pull harness.
(Incidentally, check out our article about choosing between a harness vs a collar if you’re trying to figure out the best option for your pooch.)
How Do Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tags Work?
Like other glow-in-the-dark items, glow-in-the-dark ID tags work because they contain materials called phosphors. A phosphor is a substance that can radiate light after it has stored the energy from the sun or another bright light source.
This is why it’s important to keep your dog’s glow-in-the-dark ID tags on at all hours — if not exposed to bright light, the tags won’t have enough energy to radiate light once it gets dark.
The 5 Best Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tags
Without further ado, here are five of our favorite glow-in-the-dark dog ID tag options. With different shapes, colors, and customization options available, there are plenty of pawtastic picks for your pooch.
1. SiliDog Tags
About: This Shark Tank favorite is the ultimate dog tag with a glow-in-the-dark finish and durable silicone design. Best of all, Silidog tags are silent, so Spot won’t sound like a jingle bell while out on a walk.
Silicone dog tags that are available in your choice of several glow-in-the-dark colors.
- Silicone tag is super durable
- Glow-in-the-dark tag comes in 10 different color options
- Customize with your dog’s name and 1 line of text
- Dog tag doesn’t jingle
- 5 different shape options
- Owners were impressed with this dog tag’s silent nature and appreciated the glow-in-the-dark design.
- These tags are super easy to read and scratch-free, so they are ideal for active furry friends.
- All colors and shapes of the dog tags seem to work well in the dark, according to pooch parents.
- While these tags do provide a number of additional features, they are more expensive than most other tags.
- Some dogs found the silicone material irresistible, leading to some canine chompin’ time.
2. GLO-X Tags
About: GLO-X tags are incredibly bright making it easy to keep track of your furry friend in the darkness. While these tags can’t be customized with your canine companion’s name and info, they can be added to your dog’s collar for some extra security and visibility.
- Sold as a bundle — you’ll get a large and small tag with your purchase
- Glow tags are designed to charge quickly under artificial or natural light
- Small size can be used for cats as well
- Included stainless steel rings
- Designed to glow for multiple hours to keep Spot safe
- Owners were impressed with how bright these tags were, making them great visibility tools.
- The tags doubled as a silencer when positioned between existing metal tags.
- The large and small tag bundle was perfect for pooch parents with a large and small dog.
- The tag isn’t designed to be customized with your dog’s information, so you’ll need to have a separate dog tag for that purpose.
- Some owners found that these tags didn’t quite glow for the full 12 hours. This would probably only be an issue if you go on pre-dawn walks, but it’s worth mentioning.
3. Io Tags
About: Io Tags offers this affordable and adorable dog tag with a glow-in-the-dark silencer to prevent your pooch’s tag from clanging and jangling all around the house. The pawprint dog tag can be customized with your dog’s name and a phone number, and comes in eight different colors to match Spot’s sense of style.
- Glow-in-the-dark silencer adds visibility and keeps your dog’s tag quiet
- Stainless steel tag can be customized with your dog’s information
- Super affordable price point
- Pawprint glitter design is super cute
- Silencer can be purchased separately if you already have a tag
- Owners loved how affordable these tags were. Many pooch parents opted to get more than one to make sure all of Fido’s collars were equipped with identification.
- The tags are doggone adorable, and the small size makes them work for cats as well.
- The glow-in-the-dark silencer was perfect for keeping pets visible at night and reducing noise while they moved about the house.
- Some owners noted that the labelling wore off over time, making it more difficult to read.
- While bright enough to work, they aren’t the brightest tags in the world.
4. GoTags Silencer
About: If your furry friend already has an awesome ID tag and simply needs a silencer, then this glow-in-the-dark option from GoTags is a great pick. The silencer comes in bone, heart, or round shapes to fit different tag shapes, and it can help provide visibility and protect the engraving of your tag.
Glow-in-the-dark silencers you can quickly slip on to your dog’s current ID tag.
- Bone-shaped silencer fits bone tags measuring 1.1 by 1.6 inches
- Glow-in-the-dark silencer adds nighttime visibility
- Silencer keeps things quiet and can protect a tag’s engraving
- Can be purchased in packs of 1, 2, or 3
- Choose between a bone, heart, or round shape
- Owners were impressed with how bright these affordable silencers were.
- Despite being designed to fit only with “GoTag” brand dog tags, many owners were able to fit these silencers on other tags.
- The durable tag silencer successfully prevented scratching metal dog tags and noise, much to the delight of pet parents.
- This is just a silencer for a dog tag, so you’ll still need an actual tag to identify your pooch.
- If you don’t have a “GoTag” brand tag, you’ll need to be pretty precise with your measurements to make sure these fit ahead of time.
5. GoTags Rectangle Tag
About: This personalized tag bundle from GoTags includes a customized dog tag and a glow-in-the-dark silencer. Choose between bone, heart, round, and rectangle shape tags for your canine companion.
GoTags Rectangle Tag
A customized dog ID tag and glow-in-the-dark silencer kit to keep your pooch safe.
- Sturdy aluminium tags are lightweight and customized with your dog’s name and your phone number
- Glow-in-the-dark silencer cuts back on noise and protects the information on the dog tag
- Choose between 9 different color options and a bone, heart, round, or rectangle shape
- Two-sided engraving option for multiple lines of text
- Rubber silencer is super sturdy making it great for active pups
- Owners were super impressed with the quality of these tags for the affordable price.
- The glow-in-the-dark silencer was super bright, making it easy for owners to keep track of their furry friends at night.
- Pet parents loved that the tag bundle comes in a variety of shapes and colors to fit the style of their furry friends.
- The aluminum tag can scratch easily, which could interfere with readability over time.
- Some owners found that the silencers sometimes slipped off the dog tag, so you may need to readjust from time to time.
Glow-in-the-Dark Dog ID Tag FAQs
Glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags may work better for some pooches than others. Here are a couple of glow-in-the-dark ID tags common questions and answers to help you make the right buying decision.
Are glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags safe?
Glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags are safe. They glow utilizing phosphors that utilize light energy to make the tags glow in dark. Just be sure your furry friend doesn’t chew on them, as this could cause problems whether they glow-in-the-dark or not.
How far away can you see a glow-in-the-dark dog ID tag?
The distance depends greatly on the size and brightness of the dog ID tag. For that matter, different people can see better in the dark than others.
ID tags vary in their visibility distance, but some claim to be visible from 350 yards away. Honestly, we’re a bit skeptical of such claims (that’s three football fields and change!), but it is clear that most high-quality glow-in-the-dark tags are visible from a reasonable distance.
Are glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags better than LED tags or collars?
Glow-in-the-dark tags may make a more convenient solution for some owners since they don’t require batteries than LED tags or collars. That said, LED tags are often a brighter, more reliable solution. It all depends on what your priorities are.
How long do glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags last?
It’s tricky to say exactly how long glow-in-the-dark dog IDs will last, but some of the best glow-in-the-dark dyes and paints claim to work for up to 10 years. That being said, some users report that the tags start to dim over time, so you might need to replace your set down the line.
Do glow-in-the-dark ID tags need batteries?
Glow-in-the-dark ID tags do not rely on batteries to glow, so you won’t need batteries to use them. Instead, the tags use phosphors to take in light energy during the day, allowing the tags to glow in the darkness.
Feeling Crafty? Make a DIY Glow-in-the-Dark Dog Tag Yourself!
We’ll admit that glow-in-the-dark dog tags aren’t the easiest DIY project, and you’re unlikely to save any money doing so, given the cost of the necessary supplies.
But if this sounds like a project you’d like to try, check out this nifty instructional video below!
For many furry friends, glow-in-the-dark dog ID tags can make amazing safety tools that look pretty cool, too. These tags come in a variety of styles and serve as an easy way to keep your canine companion more safe while enjoying the outdoors.
Does your dog enjoy a nighttime stroll? How do you keep your hound safe and sound? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!