LED light up dog collars can make romping around at night safe as well as fun!
Whether you’re out on a family summer camping trip, or just taking a quick night-time stroll around the neighborhood, light up collars can help keep your canine safe and visible even in darkness.
Best LED Light-Up Dog Collars: Quick Picks
- Illumiseen LED Dog Collar [Best Overall LED Light Up Dog Collar]: A weatherproof, highly visible nylon LED collar that’s rechargeable via USB cable and lasts for up to 5 hours at a time.
- BSEEN LED Dog Collar [Most Visible LED Light Up Collar]: Visible from more than 1,600 feet away, this easy-to-use, rechargeable LED collar has three different glow modes to choose from.
- NiteHowl LED Collar [Most Affordable LED Light Up Dog Collar]: Affordable yet functional, this LED dog collar will keep your pooch lit up and visible without draining your bank account.
Why LED Dog Collars Rock
Reflective collars can help make your pooch more visible at night, but collars that light up using LEDs are; much better. A few of the reasons LED light up dog collars are so great include:
They make it easier to keep track of your pooch at night. LED dog collars are fantastic for keeping tabs on your dog at night. While you may not need to see your pooch glowing around in your backyard, they’re great for many outdoor situations, such as impromptu trips to the beach at night or camping in the woods. Instead of fretting over where Fido ran off to, you can keep an eye on his glowing, wiggly butt as he runs around.
They help make your dog visible to motorists. At night it’ll be pretty tough for motorists to see dogs darting out in the middle of the streets. LED light up collars make it easy for drivers to see your pooch and can go a long way to preventing accidents.
They’ll help YOU see at night. LED collars are also handy for illuminating a dark path while you walk with your pooch. Rather than holding onto a flashlight, your dog’s collar can glow to show bumps in the sidewalk or roots in the woods, helping to reduce tripping or falling.
Light up collars make it easier to pick up poop at night. Lastly, trying to hold on to your dog’s leash and your phone (with flashlight mode enabled), all while fumbling with a dog poop bag isn’t any fun. Your dog’s collar can shed enough light to give you a spare hand and make picking up poop that much easier.
The Best LED Dog Collars for Keeping Your Canine Visible!
There are scads of LED dog collars on the market, but we’ve tried to help you separate the best from all the rest below. Check ’em out and find the one that’ll work best for you and your pooch!
1. Illumiseen LED Dog Collar
About: Our favorite LED dog collar on the market, Illumiseen’s LED collar comes with all of the features pet parents want to keep their furballs safe. These LED collars offer about 1,000 feet of visibility and have a nylon fabric design that most dogs will find comfortable. Additionally, these collars are weatherproof, so they’ll work for those rainy night walks.
- LED collar in bright, neon colors
- USB rechargeable design
- Provide 5 hours of battery life on a single charge
- Weatherproof design
- Nylon fabric collar
- Owners were very impressed with this collar’s visibility
- Collar comes at a great price for its quality
- Easy to charge, and owners report impressive battery life
- Some owners found that the sizing can run a bit large
- A couple of pet parents had trouble with this collar’s on/off switch
2. Noxgear Lighthound Harness
About: Prefer a harness to a collar? This one from Noxgear may be just the ticket! It is designed to provide your pooch with extra visibility while also keeping him secure when setting out for a stroll. This light up harness has an impressive battery life and an adjustable design making it great for everyday walks, longer adventures, and anywhere in between!
- Lightweight, weatherproof harness
- Adjustable design
- Attached light pack sits on the top of the harness
- 4 different light modes
- USB rechargeable; up to 12 hours of use at a time
- Pet parents were impressed by the brightness of this harness and felt safe walking with their pups at night
- Adjustable harness fits most dogs well
- Harness is easy to turn on/off and charge for regular use
- This is a thinner harness without a lot of added support, so it might not be the best pick for intense pullers
- The light pack is pretty bulky
3. Nite IZE Disc-O Tech Collar Light
About: If you want to add extra visibility to your pet’s regular dog collar or harness, check out the Nite IZE Disc-O Tech Collar Light. This light up dog tag attaches to your dog’s collar or harness with a stainless steel clip and provides extra visibility with flashing or standard glow modes.
- Clip-on LED light tag works with all types of collars
- Displays several colors and 2 different glow modes
- USB rechargeable battery
- Easy to turn on or off
- Weather-resistant design
- This simple collar light is easy for owners to use and quickly turn on/off
- Provides you with myriad light-up options
- Works with whatever collar or harness you and your dog prefer
- Some pet parents reported that this collar light struggled to hold a full charge
- The back cover is a little tricky to take off and put back on
4. ILLUMISEEN LED Light Up Dog Leash
About: Are you searching for a solution to keep you and your dog safe while walking around in the dark? Consider this light up dog leash from ILLUMISEEN. This standard dog leash has built-in LED lights with several glow modes to keep you and your walking buddy safe during nightime walks, as it can be seen from 1050 feet away.
- Light-up nylon leash
- Available in 4- and 6-foot lengths
- 3 glow modes
- USB rechargeable
- 1050 feet of visibility
- Leash provides plenty of visibility for both dogs and dog walkers
- Comfortable and durable enough for everyday use
- Flashing modes added extra security in high-traffic areas
- A couple of owners wished this leash had more padding
- While great for walks, an illuminated leash won’t improve visibility during off-leash time in the backyard
5. NiteHowl LED Collar
About: If you want to find a LED light up collar that provides your pooch with extra visibility without breaking the bank, this collar from NiteHowl is a great option. This collar might not have all the bells and whistles that some others do, but it gets the job done without busting your budget. Additionally, this collar is thin enough to be used in conjunction with another collar for walks.
- Available in two versions, with your choice of replaceable or rechargeable batteries
- USB rechargeable batteries work for up to 60 hours
- Water-resistant design
- 2 glow modes
- Adjustable fit
- Affordable price point
- Impressive battery life
- Owners were pleased with the collar’s visibility
- Some owners found this collar challenging to achieve a good fit
- A few owners were disappointed that the replaceable battery version requires frequent battery changes
6. Nite IZE SpotLit LED Collar Light
About: Are you going camping or on an outdoor excursion with your furry friend? Want a light you can attach to your dog’s existing collar or harness? It may make sense to opt for this affordable LED collar light from Nite IZE. This collar light has a single on/off button and provides visibility and a replacement battery for occasional use.
- Simple push button light
- Metal clip attaches to any collar
- Two glow modes
- Comes with replacement batteries
- Owners found this simple design effective and easy to attach to regular collars
- Stainless steel clip holds up well
- This tag isn’t USB rechargeable
- Collar tags don’t provide quite as much visibility as LED collars do
7. BSEEN LED Dog Collar
About: If you need a collar that really takes your dog’s nighttime visibility to another level, you’ll want to check out the BSEEN LED collar. This collar provides impressive visibility from 1640 feet away and has a cuttable design, which allows you to achieve a custom fit for your furry friend’s neck.
- 6-hour battery life
- Three glow modes with 1640 feet of visibility
- On/off switch
- Rechargeable USB port
- Adjustable design – just cut it to the proper length for your pup
- This is the most visible collar we’ve found
- Owners didn’t have to charge this collar often with the impressive 6-hour battery life
- This collar held up well through all weather conditions
- It’s not quite as durable as pet parents would like Light
- Some pups were able to slip free from the collar (it’s not great for escape artists)
8. Blazin LED Light Up Dog Collar
About: Do you and your furball like to go on extended walks or hikes? Consider grabbing the Blazin LED Collar! With an impressive battery run time of 8 hours, this collar – which provides up to 1000 feet of visibility – is perfect for longer outings or more frequent use.
- Collar made from nylon fabric
- Individual LED bulbs are placed across the full length of the collar
- Water-resistant design
- Rechargeable LED collar with adjustable strap
- 3 lighting modes
- Provides up to 1000 feet of visibility
- Owners appreciated the reliability of these collars and found them flexible enough for playing pups
- LED collar lasts up to 8 hours, which is considerably longer than similar collars
- There were very few critical reviews, but some owners found that the fabric’s color faded over time
- Some owners found the on/off switch somewhat tricky to use
9. Weewooday LED Light Collar
About: Do you have more than one furry friend at home? If so, it might make sense to purchase an LED collar multipack like this selection from Weewooday. This pack includes five rechargeable LED light collars which are each a different color to make it easy to tell who is who from a distance.
- 5-pack of differently colored LED collars
- Adjustable sizing, just cut to fit your dog’s neck
- 3 glow modes
- Rechargeable design
- 3 hours of glow time on a full charge
- Great value for the price
- Pet parents remarked that these collars charge quickly
- Multicolored multipack is a great choice for homes with more than one pup
- Some pet parents found that their dogs could accidentally turn off their collars by playing
- These collars weren’t large enough for some large dogs
Things to Consider in an LED Dog Collar
Before you purchase an LED dog collar, there are a few different features you may want to consider when shopping:
Style and Design. LED dog collars come in a few different styles – some collar have LED strips that surround the entire collar, while other units have LED lights only on certain sections of the collar. Having a 360 light design may or may not be important to you.
Durability and Quality. LED dog collars can range in terms of quality. You’ll likely want a durable, high-quality collar that will be able to last past just a few walks. Also keep in mind that whenever you buy something with electrical components, it’s better to spend a bit extra, as cheaper units tend to have more electrical failures and won’t last as long.
Brightness. All the units we cover in this article are considered appropriately bright. If you shop elsewhere, make sure to test out the collar’s brightness to make sure it’s adequate – a dull light up collar isn’t much fun or very useful.
Battery. Most of the LED glow dog collars listed here use a USB re-chargable battery, but some use coin batteries as well. Re-chargable batteries are convienent and environmentally friendly, but coin batteries can often hold a charge much londer.
Waterproof. If you live in an area where the climate is frequently wet and it rains often, make sure to get an LED dog collar that is waterproof. Few units will be completely waterproof to the point where they’ll withstand being submerged in water, but many are at least water resistant enough to hold up in light rain.
Colors. LED light up dog collars often come in several colors for you to choose from, so pick a shade that will match your canine!
Adjusting and Resizing. LED dog collars can be adjusted a few different ways. Some can be resized by sliding the resizing buckle (same as traditional collars). Other units require the owner to cut a piece of LED cord to an appropriate neck length. If you plan on using the same collar on multiple dogs, you may want to seek out an adjustable option.
Have you ever used an LED dog collar? What’s your favorite reason for using one? Do you prefer to use a light up tag with regular collars instead? Have you used one that displays a particularly bright light? Share your experiences in the comments below!