Best Dog Beds For Labs: Quick Picks
- Big Barker [Best For Large Labs]. This high-end, premium quality bed is the best in the biz for large and giant dogs. With 7″ of quality memory and support foam, it provides relief for aching doggie joints like no other bed.
- Brindle Waterproof Memory Foam Bed [Best Value] The Brindle bed boasts 2″ of memory foam plus 2″ of support foam, proving comfort and joint relief. The soft velour cover is easy to remove and throw in the wash, and this bed’s stylish design allows it to fit beautifully in any home.
- Kuranda [Best For Chewers] This mesh elevated dog bed provides support while keeping your dog off the ground, relieving their joints. The sturdy mesh and PVC frame make this bed super durable, able to withstand your lab’s chompers. It’s also easy to clean, making it a great bed for indoors or outdoors.
- Majestic Pet Suede Bagel Bed [Best For Dogs That Curl Up]. This bed offers a deep, round bagel shape that’s ultra-cozy and perfect for pups that like to curl up into balls when they sleep. The thick, over-stuffed bolsters function as a great headrest too!
Many dogs love cuddling up in a dog bed of their very own – and of course you want to make sure your canine companion has a dog bed he or she loves!
However, different dogs have different needs. As bigger dogs, labs need a dog bed with a good amount of support and cushioning to support their joints and prevent them from getting sores.
Today we’re going to talk about what factors to look for when picking out a dog bed for labradors, as well as reviewing some of our top picks for the best dog beds for labs.
Best Dog Beds For Labs: What to Look For
The best dog beds for labs should include some or all of these qualities.
- Quality. Naturally you’ll want a dog bed for your lab that is of high-quality and made of good materials.
- Durability. Some labs are known for being big chewers! If your lab is a chomper, you’ll want to make sure that you have a tough, durable dog bed that can withstand some labrador love.
- Large Size. Labs are not small dogs, so it’s important to get a fairly large sized dog bed (even if your lab is just a puppy for now). Get a dog bed that will last your large labrador dog many years!
- Orthopedic Memory Foam. Orthopedic memory foam isn’t a must for lab dog beds, but it’s a nice bonus to consider. As your dog gets older, he’ll be putting more stress on his joints and bones. An orthopedic dog bed will ease some of that stress. This will be especially important for senior dogs, as they need even more cushioning and support.
- Eco-Friendly. Many dogs have allergies to certain chemicals, so it’s best to find a dog bed that uses eco-friendly filling.
- Smell. Some dog beds smell (this is often a result of the chemicals used to make the dog bed). Be sure to read buyer reviews on dog beds and make sure that the dog bed doesn’t smell funky – your lab won’t be too thrilled about sleeping on a stinky bed!
- Removable Cover and/or Waterproof. Having a removable cover for your dog bed is another bonus – this allows you to easily clean your dog bed by just tossing the liner in the washer. Removable covers are great for labs, who are obsessed with swimming and love rolling in muck! If your dog is especially aquatic-prone, consider getting a dog bed with a waterproof liner, with can prevent the inner material of your dog bed from getting wet or moldy.
- Decor. It may not be the first thing you think about, but you’ll also want to find a dog bed for your lab that fits in with the style and look of your home. Your lab’s dog bed will likely be in a prominent area of your home where the family hangs out. It’s a piece of functional furniture, just like a couch, so think about what look and design will fit best in your house (you should like the bed too – not just your dog)!
Best Dog Beds for Labradors
Without further ado, here’s our list of the best dog beds for labs!
- Extra Support for Large Dogs. This dog bed prides itself on extreme comfort and support for large canines, such as labs.
- Maximum Amount of Orthopedic Foam. The Big Barker used 7 inches of high-quality comfort and support foam, making it highly orthopedic.
- 10 Year Guarantee. Comes with guarantee that bed will retain 90% of its shape for 10 years, or money back.
- Made in the USA. Handcrafted skilled craftsmen in the USA.
- Easy to Clean. 100% microfiber cover is removable and can easily be thrown into the washing machine for cleaning.
- 3 Sizes and Colors. Available in a large, extra-large, and giant XXL size. Also available in three colors – Khaki, Burgundy, and Chocolate.
- Owners Adore It. The Big Barker dog bed continues to receive very high praise from owners – across many consumer dog sites, the Big Barker is the most popular, most highly-rated dog bed.
This dog bed is of the highest quality, boasting extreme support and comfort for older dogs and large dogs who have aching joints. This is also the only dog bed with a “giant” XXL size that is suitable for giant breeds. The 10-year warranty is another huge advantage, letting owners rest assured that their dog bed will retain its value.
The only disadvantage to the Big Barker is that it is at a higher price point than most other dog beds (although as others have noted, you’ll never have to buy another dog bed for your lab, so you may be saving money in the long run).
Want to learn more about the Big Barker? Read our full Big Barker review here!
Kuranda Chewproof Bed
- Durable PVC Frame. This bed’s tough and durable PVC frame can support dogs up to 125lbs. If your dog is bigger, you can also try the Kuranda Aluminum dog bed, which holds dogs up to 250 lbs.
- Raised Bed. The orthopedic elevated dog bed design helps keep your lab cool, comfortable, and dry.
- Popular in Animal Shelters. It’s worth noting that Kuranda is a very popular brand with dog shelters and has been used in kennels worldwide for over 10 years, so they have a great track record.
- Easy to Clean. The UV resistant finish on the frame and the mesh canvas-like material of this bed makes it a breeze to clean.
- Cordura Material. The cordura material of the bed is canvas-like, abrasion-resistant, and durable. It also provides traction when your lab gets on and off the bed, preventing them from slipping.
- 1 Year Warranty. Comes with a year warranty, with Kuranda fans raving about their customer service, as they make good on their chewer warranty.
- Chewproof. The Kuranda bed is specifically designed as a chew-proof dog bed, made to withstand dogs who tend to chomp on their beds.
- Colors. Available in four colors, including forest green, burgundy, khaki, and smoke.
- Sizes. Comes in several sizes, from small (30×20 inches) to XXL (50×36 inches).
Owners are very impressed with this dog bed’s durability and how it can withstand even the toughest lab chewers! Another advantage is that some versions of the Kuranda dog bed are also suitable for outdoor use (the Walnut color bed shown here is only for indoor, but the Almond color or the aluminum dog beds are great for outdoors).
Some owners have had trouble getting the right size bed for their dog. One buyers note that they purchased an XL for their 95lb Rottweiler and found it to be too small. Another aspect to consider is that this dog bed is, in the opinion of some, not very attractive compared to a classic soft dog bed.
Brindle Memory Foam
- 4 Inches of Foam. This bed has 2 inches of comfort memory foam + 2 inches of support foam.
- Removable Cover. Soft velour fabric cover can be zipped on and off for easy, machine washable cleaning.
- Waterproof. The Brindle dog bed uses a 100% waterproof encasement cover in order to protect against accidents, fluids, dirt, and hair.
- Hypoallergenic. Naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites.
- Warranty. Comes with 3-year warranty.
- Various Sizes. Comes in three sizes – small, medium, large (we’d recommend the large size for labs).
One major advantage of this Brindle dog bed is that it can easily fit into certain sized crates – something most of the other dog beds on this list cannot do. It also provides solid quality and orthopedic memory foam at a really great price.
Some owners complain of a strong, chemical odor, but this seems to fade after some time. This also is not the best dog bed if your lab is a chewer or a digger since the bed is made of foam. A few owners have also had trouble having the warranty honored.
Happy Hounds Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Removable Cover. Zippered removable cover can easily be washed.
- Reversible Design. Reversible material, allowing you to choose between water-resistant micro fiber or sherpa material.
- Made in the USA. This dog bed is made in the USA.
This dog bed provides great support and durability, while staying extremely affordable at the lower price point than many other dog beds. The Happy Hounds bed is also very lightweight, making it easy to move and manage.
Owners note that this dog bed isn’t the highest quality (which isn’t a huge surprise considering its price). Some reviewers complain of broken zippers and the lack of warranty.
Majestic Pet Suede Bagel Bed
- Size. This rounded, bagel style dog bed comes in several sizes, from 24-inches for small dogs to 52-inches for larger dogs. It’s available in chocolate color.
- Durable and Waterproof. This bed is heavy-duty and waterproof, made with 300/600 Denier. The bolster (rounded edge) and cushion are made with a durable microsuede material.
- Comfort. This bed is stuffed with a premium high lift polyester fiber fill.
- Washable. This bed can be washed in an oversized washing machine on gentle cycle (but should be air-dried).
Owners note that this bed is super soft and puffy, plus it’s a dog bed that’s made in the USA. The side edges are especially nice for dogs who prefer feeling contained and like leaning against edges.
Some owners seem to have a difficult time locating the zippers which allow the inner cushions to be removed (there are two separate zippers used to remove the two different inner pieces). Once the cushions are removed however, the cover should be able to be easily cleaned.
Do you have any best dog beds for labs you want to recommend? Add your favorites in the comments below!