Ah, the French bulldog – a breed known for bat-like ears and a snore that could rival any grandpa’s! For a dog that’s small in size but with a personality as big as the Eiffel Tower, you’d want nothing but the crème de la crème when it comes to his food.
We understand your love for this little wagger,’ and that’s why we’re here to help you navigate the vast sea of kibbles and cans to find the perfect meal for your larger-than-life (at least in the personality department) French bulldog.
Let’s dig into the best dog food for French bulldogs and discuss ways to find the right match for your Rover.
Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs: Quick Picks
Choosing a Dog Food for French Bulldogs: Breed Needs & Health
Before we share our food recommendations, it’s important to understand the specific dietary needs and common health problems of the French bulldog.
This means looking for a food that checks the following boxes:
- Small Kibble: Most small-sized dogs — including your floof-tastic Frenchie — will benefit from small-sized kibble, as it’s easier to eat.
- Reasonable Calorie Content: French bulldogs are prone to obesity, so it’s important that you select a food that has a reasonable number of calories. It’s also important to make sure you measure your Frenchie’s food carefully and provide him with plenty of exercise.
- Free of Stomach-Churning Triggers: Frenchies can sometimes have sensitive stomachs, so you’ll want to avoid foods with ingredients that upset your pup’s tummy. Also, strive to keep your pooch’s diet consistent, and avoid switching foods unnecessarily. If your Frenchie’s stomach is particularly delicate, you may want to consider an LID or sensitive-stomach formula.
- Free of Allergic Triggers: Frenchies – like most other dogs – can be allergic to certain ingredients like chicken, beef, or dairy products. Talk to your vet about switching to a hypoallergenic or LID dog food if your pup seems to have perpetually itchy skin or chronic ear infections.
- Fortified with Joint-Supporting Supplements: Due to their unique skeletal structure (especially as it relates to their hips), French bulldogs often suffer from hip dysplasia and other types of joint problems. But you can often help ease the associated pain by picking a food with glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Frenchies often suffer from skin and coat problems, but you can often help mitigate these by providing your pupperino with a diet rich in inflammation-fighting omega-3 fatty acids. Some of the best sources of omega-3s for dogs include cold-water fish and oils derived from them.
- Minimal Gas-Causing Ingredients: The French bulldog breed is known for being quite gassy. Certain ingredients – including legumes and fiber-rich vegetables, among others – can exacerbate this, so consider avoiding them.
11 Best Dog Foods for French Bulldogs: Bow Wow!
Now that you know some of the most important things to consider when picking a food for your French bulldog, we can move on to some of our specific recommendations. Just remember that not all Frenchies are created equal – pick the one that best suits your specific pet.
1. Nom Nom [Best Overall Dog Food for French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Frenchie parents seeking the absolute best quality food available — regardless of cost.
About: Nom Nom is raising the bar in the canine cuisine world. The company specializes in fresh food recipes with a significant difference — everything is sourced from and lovingly cooked in the USA.
For pet parents, this translates to a brand you can trust and for our furry pals, it means a delectable dish they’ll eagerly gobble down.
What truly makes Nom Nom stand out against other dog food brands is its commitment to a personalized pet diet. Recognizing that every dog is unique, the brand crafts meals with your pet’s breed, age, and activity level in mind.
And while we’re on the topic of responsible brands, let’s not forget Nom Nom’s nod to sustainability – their foods are sustainably sourced and come in fully recyclable packaging.
First Five Ingredients: Turkey, Butternut Squash, Turkey Livers, Oats, & Lentils
- Staffed With Canine Nutrition Pros: With a board-certified veterinary nutritionist at the helm of recipe crafting, you’re assured that your dog’s health is the primary focus. This isn’t just dog food – it’s nutritional science in a bowl.
- US-Quality: As a pet parent, it’s comforting to know that Nom Nom prioritizes high-quality, U.S.-sourced ingredients. Safety and quality – two words we love hearing in the same sentence as dog food.
- Gentle Cooking For the Win: Gentle cooking processes help to keep your dog’s food tasty, and it also helps ensure a texture your pup will love.
- Protein is #1: A whole protein source is always the star of the show in each fresh food recipe to ensure your fun little Frenchie is getting the energy and balanced nutrition he needs to jump, fetch, and wag that tail all day long.
- Personalized for Pups: From food allergies to unique health quirks, Nom Nom ensures your French Bulldog gets a meal that’s as unique as he is.
Turkey, butternut squash, turkey livers, oats, lentils...,
spinach, blueberries, kale, tricalcium phosphate, salt, salmon oil, taurine, zinc gluconate, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulphate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine hydrochloride (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), potassium iodide
- All ingredients are sourced within the USA and crafted in American kitchens
- There’s no need for a subscription; you can try Nom Nom without any strings attached
- You can add an optional probiotic supplement to boost digestion
- All this freshness comes with a slightly steeper price tag than your average dry dog food
- While prepared in U.S. kitchens, a slight hiccup is that they’re not USDA certified
2. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed [Best Dry Dog Food for French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners of Frenchies wanting the convenience of kibble, as well as top-notch ingredients, like antioxidant-rich produce and belly-friendly probiotics.
About: For those petite paw-pals of ours, big flavors and premium nutrition are just as essential as for their larger counterparts. Enter Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Adult – a crunchy kibble dog food crafted to match the tiny bites of our smaller fur babies, like French bulldogs.
This dry dog food not only ensures cleaner teeth but is also an energy powerhouse with wholesome grains like rice, oatmeal, and barley. The prebiotics and probiotics duo aids in healthy digestion, while omega fatty acids promise a glossy coat and itch-free skin.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, & Barley
- Protein-Packed Goodness: Deboned meat headlines the ingredient list, closely followed by a specific meat meal, ensuring your tiny furball’s muscles remain strong and spry with high-quality protein sources.
- LifeSource Bits Magic: Beyond the usual kibble, the dog food contains Blue’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – cold-pressed nuggets bursting with essential vitamins and antioxidants that bolster immunity.
- Meaty Choices: This recipe is available in two pup-approved flavors. Poultry-loving dogs can enjoy Chicken and Brown Rice, while others may prefer Lamb and Brown Rice.
- Joint-Care Galore: Every dog food bite packs in glucosamine, ensuring those teeny-tiny joints stay spry and spunky.
- All-American Goodness: Crafted in the USA, Blue Buffalo champions quality by sourcing top-notch, globally-inspired ingredients.
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Barley...,
Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Pea Starch, Dried Tomato Pomace, Peas, Pea Protein, Dried Egg Product, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Direct Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Dried Chicory Root, Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary
- Those mini kibble pieces are a dream come true for small munchers
- Wallet-friendly without compromising on quality? Yes, please!
- Probiotics help ensure a settled and smooth digestive journey
- For those with meat sensitivities, an exotic protein variant would be a welcome addition
- While bursting with nutrition, some finicky furballs might avoid the LifeSource Bits
3. Merrick Kitchen Comforts [Best Canned Dog Food for French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pawrents of pickier Frenchies or doggos with dental concerns requiring soft food.
About: Designed for all breeds but perfect for French bulldogs, Merrick Kitchen Delights is a grain-inclusive wet dog food that features real deboned meat as the top ingredient. The stew-like texture, loaded with meaty chunks and veggies floating in a gorgeous broth, makes this food a hydration-booster and a sure-fire taste winner.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Beef, Beef Broth, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, & Brown Rice
- Steers Clear of Synthetic Stuff: Merrick Kitchen Delights recipes are devoid of artificial flavors, colorings, and keeping agents.
- Veggie-Packed: With a hearty helping of veggies, such as carrots, green beans, and sweet potatoes, these foods are full of vitamins, fiber, palate-pleasing flavors, and vibrant colors.
- Homestyle Cooking Inspiration: With a note taken from human favorite dishes like casserole, this recipe dazzles your doggo with an intriguing texture and taste.
- Safety-First Production: Merrick dog foods are manufactured at a Safe Quality Food (SQF) level 3 certified establishment.
- Born in the USA: Merrick’s dog food is crafted in Hereford, Texas, using local and internationally procured ingredients.
Deboned Beef, Beef Broth, Vegetable Broth, Natural Flavor, Brown Rice...,
Beef Liver, Dried Egg Product, Spinach, Potato Protein, Potatoes, Flaxseed Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Cumin, Cinnamon, Gum Ghatti, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate), Magnesium Sulfate, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Sodium Selenite)
- Pups love the taste of this food
- Includes visible chunks of high-quality meat and vegetables
- Grain-inclusive recipes are rare in the canned food category
- The broth-soaked stew also makes a perfect kibble topper
- May be more expensive than other wet dog food options
- Some dog owners may not be fans of potatoes and legumes in their pup’s food
4. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Puppy [Best Dog Food for French Bulldog Puppies]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Parents of Frenchie puppies in need of food geared toward growth with brain-friendly fats.
About: Specifically configured to cater to the tiniest of tails, Wellness Complete Health Small Breed is a buffet of top-tier proteins and grains, offering the vim and vigor your young yapper needs. The bonus of all-natural DHA resources help brain and eye development, while the included spinach and berries provide a boost of immunity-building antioxidants. And with kibble pieces that are perfectly sized for pocket-sized pooches, it’s tail-waggingly terrific.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, & Ground Brown Rice
- First-Class Meats: Wellness leads with deboned turkey, a prime protein, as the first ingredient in this meal designed for your four-legged friend.
- Protein Fiesta: With turkey, chicken, and fish in the mix, even discerning pups won’t turn up their noses. These proteins also contribute to keeping muscles in peak condition.
- Heart-Healthy Taurine: The addition of taurine plays an essential role in promoting canine cardiac health.
- Digestion-Assured: A balanced brew of included probiotics keeps puppy digestion running smoothly.
- American-Made: Wellness crafts its dog food domestically, utilizing ingredients from globally trusted suppliers.
Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice...,
Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oats, Tomato Pomace, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Ground Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract
- Made with small-breed puppies in mind, the kibble size is perfect for tiny tots
- Contains natural DHA sources to aid brain and eye development
- Pups find the flavor wag-tastic!
- At the higher end of the kibble price range
- Could benefit from additional protein options for dogs with sensitivities
5. Wellness Complete Health Small Breed Senior [Best Dog Food for Senior French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Owners of senior Frenchies requiring extra system support, like glucosamine for healthy joints and antioxidants for an immune boost.
About: Your old-timer deserves a tip-top food, and that’s exactly what Wellness Complete Small Breed Senior brings to the table.
Think of this grain-inclusive delight as a culinary ode to your aging pupper. Those dainty triangular kibbles? Perfect for senior jaws. The rich poultry blend? A ticket to muscle strength and vitality. And the bonus of joint-nourishing ingredients? Your senior French bulldog might just get an extra spring in his step!
With the thoughtful touch of veterinarians and nutritionists, this kibble isn’t just food – it’s senior-centric nourishment.
First Five Ingredients: Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Peas, & Rice
- Meaty Majesty: With real meat reigning supreme as the #1 ingredient, this formula ensures that protein isn’t just a buzzword, but a promise.
- Boosting Immunity: A punchy dose of antioxidants keeps senior immune systems on their toes, fending off potential ailments typical in your Frenchie’s golden years.
- Energize & Satisfy: Quality grains, including brown rice and oats, ensure your old-timer is both fueled up and feels full.
- Nature’s Bounty: It’s a veggie and fruit fest, with peas, carrots, and spinach leading the parade, ensuring your French bulldog gets an array of natural nutrients and fibrous goodness.
- Patriotic Produce: Crafted with care in the USA, this French Bulldog dry food combines globally sourced ingredients with trust at its core.
Deboned Turkey, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Peas, Rice...,
Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- Includes joint-supporting ingredients to keep your mutt mobile
- Full of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids to combat inflammation and promote coat health
- Probiotics means a smoother digestive journey for your Frenchie
- While poultry is fine for many, alternatives would be welcome for Frenchies sensitive to chicken
- Premium kibbles bear premium price tags
6. Diamond Naturals Small Breed Chicken & Rice [Best Budget-Friendly Dog Food for French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Frenchie owners look for premium eats sprinkled with extras like omega-3s without a premium price tag.
About: Making it easy on your budget while pouring on the premium for your small-sized sidekick, Diamond Naturals Small Breed Kibble is brimming with the basics — meats and grains. Not leaving out gut health, they also throw prebiotics and probiotics into the mix. And for that supermodel level shiny fur? Balanced omega-3 fatty acids work their magic on your doggo’s skin and coat.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Ground White Rice, & Grain Sorghum
- Protein Takeover: Meat sits proudly as numero uno in the ingredient mix, offering chicken or lamb as the lead act in two delicious recipe options.
- Power-Packed Produce: A cocktail of fruits and veggies deliver essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber, promoting digestion at its best!
- Pint-Sized Pellets: The kibble size has been downsized, making it a breeze for your little wagger to crunch through.
- Nutritionally Rounded: Adhering to the AAFCO nutrient profile for adult maintenance, each bowlful promises to be a nutritious feast.
- American-Based: Diamond Naturals create their magic in the US, monitoring their worldwide-sourced ingredients with strict safety precautions.
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Ground White Rice, Grain Sorghum...,
Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, L-Carnitine, Kale, Chia Seed, Pumpkin, Blueberries, Oranges, Quinoa, Dried Kelp, Coconut, Spinach, Carrots, Papaya, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Beta Carotene, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid
- The quality and extras come at an affordable price
- This blend is generous with the fruit and veggie goodness.
- Several proud pet parents have noticed more lustrous coats after making the switch
- A small percentage of dogs don’t seem to like the taste
- It could do with more protein alternatives for dogs with chicken or lamb sensitivities
7. Natural Balance LID [Best Dog Food for Allergy-Prone French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of French bulldogs plagued with food sensitivities or allergies.
About: For those paw-parents pulling their hair out over their dog’s food sensitivities, breathe a sigh of relief! Natural Balance LID (Limited Ingredient Diet) comes to the rescue.
With a “less is more” philosophy, this food features a concise list of ingredients with your choice of protein taking the center stage. Paired with nutritious grains like brown rice, this formula promises not just a satisfied French bulldog tummy but also a bounding heart, all thanks to the added taurine.
First Five Ingredients: Duck, Duck Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, & Rice Bran
- No Unwanted Extras: This food stays true to its limited-ingredient promise, waving goodbye to gluten, soy, artificial additives, colorings, and flavorings.
- Protein Playground: Dive into an array of protein choices ranging from the regulars like beef and chicken to the unique offerings of duck and salmon.
- Omega Glow-Up: The rich omega-3 content ensures your furry friend not only feels fabulous but also sports a healthy coat that’s the envy of the neighborhood.
- Safety Above All: Natural Balance leaves no stone unturned. Each batch undergoes rigorous tests during its journey from ingredients to the final kibble, ensuring your Frenchie’s meal is magnifique.
- Stars, Stripes, and Kibble: Proudly made in the USA, this dog food combines global ingredients handpicked from reliable sources.
Duck, Duck Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran...,
Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Dl-methionine, Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Citric Acid (Used As A Preservative), Lactic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract
- Available in grain-free and grain-inclusive varieties
- Single proteins and a short ingredient list makes it ideal for Frenchies with food allergies
- Most pups appear to love the taste
- It’s a shame there are no joint supplements or gut-friendly probiotics, but most LID recipes leave these out
- Like many other LID recipes, these foods are a bit pricey
8. Nutro ULTRA Weight Management [Best Dog Food for Overweight French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents with full-figured Frenchies needing to drop pounds or for those with woofers who struggle to maintain their weight.
About: Nutro ULTRA Weight Management Dog Food, with its trio of proteins – salmon, lamb, and chicken – stands as a stellar option for dogs in need of a slight weight reduction. Despite its lower-calorie content, it doesn’t skimp on flavor or essential nutrients, ensuring your pet gets all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Additionally, the added omega fatty acids help with promoting healthy skin and coats, while the glucosamine and chondroitin promise solid joint support.
First Five Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, & Rice Bran
- Chicken With #1 & #2 Spot: Real chicken is the first ingredient listed, followed right along by chicken meal at the #2 spot, promising a hefty dose of protein.
- Wholesome Grains: This grain-inclusive formula, complete with rice and oatmeal, promises sustained energy and satiety for your four-legged friend.
- Commitment to Non-GMO: This Nutro recipe leaves out GMO ingredients, which makes many pet parents feel better.
- Nutrient-Dense Produce: This formula includes a beneficial mix of dried spinach, dried blueberries, and dried apples, ensuring your dog gets both flavor and health benefits.
- Quality Assurance: Produced in the USA, this dog food adheres to high standards of quality and safety.
Chicken, Chicken Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate)...,
Whole Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran, Whole Grain Oatmeal, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Whole Chia Seed, Dried Coconut, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Kale, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Blueberries, Dried Apples, Dried Carrots, Zinc Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Selenium Yeast, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.
- Diverse protein blend promotes lean muscle health in this healthy weight formula
- Enriched with superfoods known to optimize the canine immune system
- Tasty, despite having fewer calories than many other options
- Some pet parents found these small kibble pieces too small
- Multi-protein foods aren’t great for dogs with food sensitivities or allergies
9. Wellness CORE [Best Grain-Free Dog Food for French Bulldogs]
WHO’S THIS FOOD BEST FOR?
Pet parents of Frenchies with vet-diagnosed grain allergies seeking grain-free eats featuring alternative carbohydrate sources.
About: Wellness CORE is a grain-free food that’s all about the meat, meat, and (you guessed it) more meat! And while most dogs can digest cooked grains perfectly well, others have issues processing things like wheat or rice. Fortunately, this kibble is a haven for dogs who find grains to be their tummies’ arch-nemesis.
Not only does it offer fiber-rich carb alternatives for maintaining energy, but its high protein content can also serve as a worthy ally if your Frenchie needs to bulk up a bit.
First Five Ingredients: Lamb, Lamb Meal, Pea Protein, Peas, & Lentils
- Nurturing Those Joints. Every serving comes with glucosamine and chondroitin, ensuring your canine’s joints get the tender love and care they deserve.
- Boost of Omega Awesomeness. With the power of omega-3 fatty acids, expect a lustrous coat and a well-hydrated skin to show off at the next doggy park visit.
- Taurine Too. The formula is enriched with taurine, crucial for keeping that adorable heart thumping with joy and vigor.
- Veggie Delight. Contains an inviting mix of fresh vegetables and fruits – think carrots, peas, and broccoli, packed with vitamins your Frenchie thrives on.
- Made in the USA. While Wellness CORE scours the globe for ingredients, the magic all comes together right here in the USA.
Lamb, Lamb Meal (source of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate), Pea Protein...,
Peas, Lentils, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Natural Lamb Flavor, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Kale, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product
- Designed for those pooches who have an official “no-grains” memo from the vet
- Protein-rich profile is fantastic for building muscle and fueling four-footed bodies
- Added probiotics work wonders in ensuring that your dog’s tummy stays happy and rumble-free
- Some pet parents have reservations about peas due to concerns linked with DCM
- A few dogs might find this formula a tad too rich for their systems
Guidelines for Choosing a Dog Food (For Any Breed)
Most contemporary dog foods available today are of commendable quality, but that isn’t true for them all! Keep these key criteria in mind when shopping for any reputable, well-regarded dog food:
- Ensure It Adheres to AAFCO Standards for Your Dog’s Life Stage: The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) provides vital guidelines for dog foods. Picking a product that aligns with these guidelines for your dog’s specific life stage guarantees he will receive the essential nutrients he needs to thrive.
- Consult Your Veterinarian: Before settling on a dog food, consult with your veterinarian. Your vet’s expertise can guide you through the complexities of food labels, and he or she will have some good advice that takes into account your breed’s individual medical history.
- Account for Specific Health Concerns: On top of common health issues of your dog’s breed, your individual dog may have his own quirks and requirements. If your dog has a particular health concern, seek out foods designed to address that issue.
Follow these guidelines, and you’ll be guaranteed to end up with a good food for your French. However, to elevate your choice of food from good to exceptional, consider the following:
- Check for a Canine Nutritionist: If the brand employs a canine nutritionist, it shows their commitment to balanced and nutritious dog food.
- Pay Attention to Origin: If the product is manufactured in a Western country, it is likely subjected to stricter quality controls.
- Prioritize Protein: A good sign is when the first ingredient listed is a whole protein, indicating a rich protein content. Even better is when the second ingredient listed is a protein too!
Transparency in Meat Sources: Clarity in meat meal identification and by-products is an indication of the brand’s transparency – don’t settle for mystery “meat meal”. Instead, opt for properly identified meals, such as “beef meal” or “chicken meal.”
Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs: FAQ
Still have questions about picking a good food for your Frenchie? We can help! We’ve retrieved some of the most common questions owners have below!
What type of diet is ideal for French bulldogs?
French bulldogs need a balanced diet rich in proteins, carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, and vitamins. Ideally, protein should be the first ingredient in your pet’s food, coming from high-quality animal sources such as chicken, beef, pork, or lamb.
Since these petite little guys are prone to obesity, avoid overly fatty diets and consider switching to a weight management food if you see your pup packing on extra weight.
How often should I feed my French bulldog?
Generally, adult French bulldogs should be fed twice a day. Puppies need to be fed more frequently – around three to four times a day.
Do French bulldogs have specific dietary needs?
French bulldogs can be prone to obesity, so they need a diet low in fat but high in lean protein. They also have a short respiratory tract, so kibbles should be small and easily chewable.
My French bulldog is a fussy eater. What should I do?
Experiment with different types of healthy foods to determine what your Frenchie enjoys most. You can try mixing wet food, or flavorful dog food toppers like cottage cheese or applesauce in with dry kibble to make it more appealing.
However, remember to keep changes in diet gradual to avoid upsetting your pet’s stomach. As always, it’s best to consult with your vet about your dog’s specific dietary needs if you’re seeing ongoing issues.
Should French bulldogs eat grain-inclusive or grain-free food?
Most French bulldogs will thrive on grain-inclusive diets – especially if they are with healthy whole grains like sorghum, and brown rice, as these grains provide necessary nutrients and fiber.
However, some French bulldogs might have allergies or intolerance to certain grains and therefore may require a grain-free diet. It really depends on how your pup handles grains – but most handle them just fine.
We hope this article has been a helpful guide in the quest for your canine’s culinary contentment. Every Frenchie has his own gourmet preferences, so what’s been a hit with your little fur-connoisseur?
Drop a comment below and let us know what you’d consider the best dog food for French bulldogs can’t resist. We’d love to hear from you!