As paw parents, we all want to spoil our fur kids with the latest and greatest goodies and gizmos. Well, companies have listened, and they’ve rolled out some must-have mutt gear, from everyday care accessories to amazing tech tools.
Many of these devices and doodads have the potential to completely change the way you and your pooch do things! So, grab a cup of coffee, kick back, and check ‘em out with us below!
In a hurry? Check out a few of our favorite dog gadgets in our quick picks!
Best Gadgets For Dogs: Quick Picks
- #1 Varram Fitness Robot [Best Interactive Dog Toy] — Need a gadget that’ll not only keep your pooch occupied, but also provide physical and mental stimulation? It’s really hard to beat a robot that interacts with your dog and dispenses treats to keep his interest!
- #2 PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog and Cat Feeder [Best Feeding Gadget for Dogs] — Some gadgets are helpful for dogs, but others — like this automatic feeder — are helpful for owners. This automatic feeder will make it easy to keep Fido fed, even when you aren’t home to measure out his kibble.
- #3 Petcube Bites 2 [Best Dog-Care Gadget] — This feature-packed pet camera makes it easy to keep an eye on your pooch, tell him he’s a good boy, and give him a few treats from afar using nothing more than your cell phone.
- #4 PetSafe Clik-R [Best Budget-Priced Gadget] — Whether you need a helpful training tool for your pooch or you’re looking for an affordable gift for a friend, the PetSafe Clik-R is a great choice that costs less than five bucks.
- #5: Waggle RV Temperature Monitor [Best for RV-ers] Lightweight temperature-monitoing device that alerts you when temps have gotten too cold or too hot in your car or RV for your pet! Plus, get 40% off with code K9OFMINE40
The Best Dog Gadgets: Different Categories for Different Applications
The term “gadget” means different things to different people. For many, it’s some sort of electronic or computerized item, but for others, it’s any tool that makes things easier, regardless of how simple it is.
With that in mind, we’re grouping the best dog gadgets into the following categories:
- Interactive Toys: Items in this group are designed to engage your doggo in back-and-forth play. Whether they stimulate your pup mentally or physically, they’re sure to keep him entertained.
- Food and Water Dishes: Automatic feeders are game-changers if you’re running late at work. Just set ‘em and forget ‘em. In this same category you’ll find water fountains that provide a continuous stream of fresh, cool water and help encourage poor drinkers to remain hydrated.
- Canine Care: This covers things that help with the everyday life of your doggo, like heated beds, cooling vests, and the like. If it improves life for your pooch around the house or at the dog park, you’ll find it here.
- Safety Tools: Keeping your pooch safe and secure is the main goal of gadgets in this category. You’ll find GPS tracking collars, car seats, and more among them.
- Grooming: From quick-dry devices to wonder brushes, grooming gadgets can be a huge help in tackling coat maintenance. Another hot pick here is the nail grinder, which can replace the dreaded nail clipper if it scares you or your doggo.
- Training Tools: These items are designed to make training easier, whether it’s a clicker or a treat-containing pouch. You’ll also find things like extra-long leads in this category, which help to teach long-distance recall and other skills.
Not only can these make your day-to-day life with your doggo easier, but they also make some epic gifts for dog lovers. You can check out our picks for each category below!
Interactive Toy Gadgets
Need to keep your mischievous mastiff busy? Does your playful pittie need more playtime than you can offer? An interactive toy may be just what you need!
1. Varram Fitness Robot
About: The Varram Fitness Robot gets your dog to move and groove using a series of games that aren’t only fun but tasty too, thanks to a built-in treat dispenser. Rather than staying stationary, the robot zooms about, encouraging your pup to chase and play.
- Comes with 16 different play modes to keep your pup from getting bored
- Made with an easy-to-clean and strong poly-carbonate material
- Water resistant (droolers rejoice!)
- Will work for up to 4 hours continuously on a single charge
The Varram Fitness Robot seems to keep most canines interested, and it’s likely one of the best interactive dog toys available. It’s an exceptionally convenient device too — using the robot’s phone app, you can schedule interaction on the go. This is an excellent pick if you’re trying to increase your dog’s daily exercise, too.
This unit costs a lot of cookies, but you do get a lot for your dog-entertainment dollar. A longer battery life would also be nice, and some large doggos might actually pick up the device, which defeats the purpose.
2. GoDogGo Ball Launcher
About: The GoDogGo Ball Launcher puts your four-footer to work chasing balls indoors or out. Best of all — you don’t have to reload it or lift a finger! Your pup simply drops the balls in the open top loader for endless fun.
- Choose from one of the three time settings and three distance settings for customizable launch timing and distance
- Safety arc feature launches balls in an arc pattern that keeps dogs out of the direct line of fire
- Powered by an AC adapter or batteries
- Large hopper makes for easy reloading
- Compatible with most standard tennis balls
This is the perfect device for dogs that love endless games of fetch, or those that need daily, vigorous exercise. Not only does it keep your pooch occupied, but you don’t have to worry about touching slobbery balls, which is always a plus.
The firing sound of the device might frighten some dogs. Not every pup will figure out the top loader, either, but with some treats and patience, most should get the idea.
3. CleverPet Console
Interactive dog puzzle console
About: The CleverPet Console is the answer to your super smart dog’s boredom. Harnessing the power of puzzles and positive reinforcement, it gives your doggo a job and tasty rewards along the way.
- Step-by-step process teaches your dog to use the device for you
- Difficulty rises as your dog learns each level, keeping him challenged (it also lowers the difficulty level if he starts to struggle)
- An excellent choice for dogs who need a mental outlet in addition to daily walks
- Comes with Clever Pet’s 30-Day Engagement Guarantee
The best part of the CleverPet console is that it’s all guided by your dog. You just load the treats and enjoy the show, which makes it more appropriate for busy owners, who don’t have the time to train their pup to use a complicated toy. It’s suitable for all ages too, giving pups and older dogs alike a chance to flex their mental chops.
Like many other top-notch interactive toys, this console has a serious price tag, which can cut into your treat budget. You may also need to use some seriously high-value treats at first to get your dog interested if he’s skittish.
4. Pet Qwerks Babble Ball
Pet Qwerks Babble Ball
Motion-activated dog toy
About: Keep your pup on his toes with Pet Qwerks’ Babble Ball. One of the simpler, more affordable interactive dog toy options, this ball produces fun, upbeat phrases and sounds to catch your dog’s attention and stimulate him to roll and play with it.
- Motion-activated and equipped with self-shutoff when not in use
- Makes more than 20 unique sounds to keep your dog guessing
- Made with a thick, durable plastic
- Battery operated
Available in small, medium, and large size options.
The toy is incredibly engaging with its motion-activated nature and assortment of sounds. The hard plastic is very durable, too, giving it some defense against rough play. Also, given its extremely affordable price tag, this is a great choice for owners who want to dip their toe in the interactive-dog-toy waters without spending a fortune.
The hard plastic can off-putting to some pups who’d prefer something more flexible for chewing and chucking. It also doesn’t bounce, which is kind of a bummer. Dogs that spook easily may dislike all the noises too.
Food and Water Gadgets
Do you have a chow-time challenge you need to address? Want to figure out a way to make it easier to keep your canine fed and watered? Check out these food and water gadgets that’ll make life easier!
1. PetSafe Smart Feed Automatic Dog Feeder
About: PetSafe Smart Feed takes the stress out of feeding, delivering measured amounts to your pup up to 12 times a day. This makes it easy to keep your dog fed on a consistent schedule, no matter how busy your days are.
- Holds about 24(!) cups of kibble
- Alexa enabled, so you can use your Amazon Echo to feed your dog from anywhere in your home
- Controllable via your smartphone
- Slow-feed option dispenses food gradually over 15 minutes
- Can be used with 3-D printed splitter (sold separately) to feed two pets at once
Programmable feeding times and Alexa-compatibility are major perks if you’re often rushing home to feed your pup (like me!) This function also works great if your doggo needs to stick to a diet, as it always delivers the same amount, preventing anyone from “accidentally” overeating. Additionally, we love the slow-feeding mode, which may help prevent bloat.
While most owners who tried this feeder were happy with the way it performed, several expressed frustration with the associated app. A few owners also complained of Wifi connection issues.
2. Hyper Pet IQ Treat Mat
About: Hyper Pet’s IQ Treat Mat gives your pooch a tasty mission and keeps him busy. Slather with your pooch’s favorite treat, whether it’s peanut butter, pumpkin, or wet food, and watch him enjoy. This is also a great tool for slowing down your pooch at chow time, which can help prevent barfing and bloat.
- Textured surface entertains your dog with tasty nooks and crannies to lick
- Dishwasher safe (top-shelf only)
- Made in the USA
- Comes with a 90 day warranty
Options: Offered in small/medium and large size options, you can pick from three colors: orange, green, and gray.
This is a great option for anxious dogs and puppies, as it keeps them occupied for an extended period. Offering this with a radio on during a storm, for instance, can be super helpful for a storm-shy dog. If you freeze the mat before offering, it keeps the fun going for even longer.
A non-slip bottom would be helpful since the mat slides all over. This isn’t the best pick for chew-happy canines either, since powerful chompers can make quick work of the material.
Check out our Lickimat video to learn six reasons we love them!
3. H2O4K9 Dog Water Bottle
H2O4K9 Dog Water Bottle
Stainless-steel travel bottle for dogs
About: No matter where your canine-accompanied adventures take you, it’s important that you always have some water for your woofer. The H2O4K9 Dog Water Bottle is the perfect option, as it makes it easy to keep your dog hydrated on the go. Its sleek design unscrews to reveal a convenient water trough lid for your pup.
- Self-insulating silicone outer shell
- Water bottle is made of durable stainless steel
- Lid is made with food-safe, BPA-free plastic
- Trough-like design lets you offer water very conveniently
Options: Available in three colors: black, blue, and yellow.
This is a hiking dog’s best friend since it does its job in one convenient unit. The sleeve is easy to grip, and the shape of the lid lets you pour leftover water back into the bottle between break stops, so you don’t have to waste a drop.
The bottle could use some more insulation to keep it cool, but we’re guessing most canines won’t mind too much. The lid can also be difficult to tighten and seal, leading to leaking if you’re not careful.
4. Outward Hound Slow Feeder
Outward Hound Slow Feeder
Safe and simple way to slow chow time
About: Outward Hound’s Slow Feeder prevents your food-crazy Fido from downing his food too quickly, reducing his risk of tummy upset, vomiting, and bloat. And for maximum convenience, this dinner bowl is dishwasher safe, just pop it on the top shelf to keep it fresh between feedings.
- Deep grooves prevent your pup from scarfing down too much food at once
- Works well with wet or dry diets
- Non-slip base prevents it from sliding around the floor while your dog eats
- Made with food-safe ABS plastic
Options: Offered in four colors: turquoise, purple, orange, and blue. The large size option handles up for 4 cups of kibble, while the medium can hold up to 2 cups.
This gadget really lives up to its “slow feeder” and slows your pup’s food gobbling down with its deep, varied grooves. But this design not only makes mealtime safer, it also encourages your dog’s natural foraging instincts, making meal time fun.
Some dogs may outsmart the device by flipping or slamming it to get all the food at once. The design also might be less effective with small dogs who can fit their muzzles between the grooves. But you can eliminate this by spreading kibble out to slow them down.
General Canine Care Gadgets
Your dog’s day-to-day care can be time-consuming and — even though we love our pooches — a bit of a chore. Don’t worry! Check out these dog-care gadgets that’ll make life easier on you both!
1. Petcube Bites 2
About: Petcube Bites 2 interactive pet camera is a great tool for keeping tabs on your canine, as it lets you check in with your pooch from afar using its 2-way pet chat.
Not only that, but you can reward your handsome hound with a tasty treat using its innovative treat dispenser and see what he’s up to via the included smart sound features and motion alerts.
Read our full review of the Petcube Bites 2 for more info!
- 1080p video camera features a wide-angle lens
- Check in from any computer or iOS/Android phone using the app
- Comes with a built-in Alexa assistant for added control and convenience
- Can be mounted on a wall or set atop a table
- Holds up to 1.5 pounds of treats
Petcube Bites 2 is an awesome tool for owners who must leave their dog at home for long periods. Not only will it help you keep tabs on your terrier and make sure he’s OK, it’ll help soothe your pooch via periodic check-ins too. Installation is relatively straightforward, along with the app.
There weren’t many complaints about this interactive camera, but a small percentage of owners experienced video lag issues. A few also reported that because of the camera’s location, you’ll have to set it up near the edge of a table (if not mounting it on a wall). This makes it easy for your pet to topple.
2. WIGZI Dual Leash
WIGZI Dual Leash
Swivel-style dual leash for walking two dogs
About: Many owners eventually decide they’d prefer a pair of pooches — but that can seriously complicate your daily walks. Fortunately, the WIGZI’s Reflective Dual Leash lets you walk both of your doggos safely, as it features two leashes that attach to a single handle. And because this leash is highly reflective, it’ll even work for after-dark adventures.
- Each pup has 10 feet of potential slack
- Full control of each dog independently on the leash handle
- Color-coded so you know which dog you’re controlling
- 360-degree swivel design prevents dogs from tangling if they cross paths
The swivel function is a win for double doggo walks, as it allows them to wander comfortably without jerking one another or you. The lightweight leash design is ideal for small dogs who are easily bogged down by hardware, too.
Retractable leashes have their share of problems, including a lack of overall control and the risk of leash burns. This leash also has a weight limit of 50 pounds on each leash, so it won’t work with big ‘ol pups.
Anxiety-busting dog wrap garment
About: The Thundershirt is a great option for anxiety-ridden Rovers, as it provides a comforting hug to your pooch thanks to its snug fit. You could say that it works in roughly the same way that swaddling blankets do for babies. It’s also a flexible tool that is perfect for daily anxiety sufferers or those with specific triggers, such as thunderstorms. .
- Comfortable, breathable fabric construction
- Same concept as swaddling an infant
- Machine washable
- Manufacturer claims an 80-percent effective rate
Options: Offered in seven sizes, ranging from XX-small to XX-large.
Owners with dogs suffering from day-to-day anxiety saw a positive change, as did those whose pups have situation-based fears (such as storms or fireworks). The money-back guarantee is also a huge bonus, especially since not every anxiety solution works with every dog.
As with all anxiety remedies, this isn’t a sure-fix for every dog. However, it remains a low-risk, high-reward option you may want to try. Also, while it seems to hold up great for most dogs, some owners feel that the material is too thin too and rips easily.
4. SureFlap Pet Door
SureFlap Pet Door
Selective entry pet door for dogs
About: Going for a walk every time your terrier needs to tinkle can get old fast, but you can give your pooch the power to head outside on his own with SureFlap’s Pet Door. It allows your small dog to go in and out as he pleases, and unlike old-school dog doors, the SureFlap features a selective entry system that prevents unwelcomed fur friends from sneaking in (as well as unauthorized exits by your own pup).
- Programmable lock settings allow you to select when your dog has free access to the outdoors
- Operates by reading your dog’s microchip or programmable collar tags (sold separately)
- Can be installed in doors, walls, or windows
- Battery-powered by four “C” batteries
Options: Comes in two color options: white and brown.
Convenience is king here because let’s face it: Sometimes it’s rough to roll out of bed in the morning. But this automated pet door lets you hit the snooze button while still letting your pooch answer nature’s call. Paired with a programmable feeder, it’s a dog parent’s dream (and dream gift!) It’s compatible with a wide-range of pet microchips too, so that’s a huge upside.
This model in particular is for small dogs or cats only, which is a bummer for big dog owners. Some pup parents have also found that the locking mechanism is easy for some fur invaders to figure out, like racoons.
Dog Safety Gadgets
One thing is for sure: From cars to dog-nappers to dangerous street snacks, the world is a dangerous place for dogs. So, as a loving pet owner, one of your most important responsibilities is keeping your canine safe and sound.
Fortunately, there are a few gadgets that’ll help protect your dog from these kinds of dangers.
1. PetFon GPS Tracker
About: Few things are as frightening as the feelings you’ll get when you can’t find Fido. Don’t worry — PetFon’s GPS Tracker helps you track down your doggo in case he goes astray. Simply attach this tracker to his collar and you have a link to him at all times through your smartphone.
- Range varies from 0.65 miles in urban areas to 3.5 miles in open spaces
- Allows you to set a safe area for your pet to roam, and if he leaves the area, you get an instant alert
- You can set customized voice commands to communicate with your dog from afar
- The tracker is rainproof but not swimproof
This dog GPS tracker provides obvious safety value, but it’s also helpful for day-to-day monitoring and management. The ability to add prerecorded voice commands is a huge perk, especially if your pup tests your set boundary when you’re not around. He’ll still get a warning from you, even if you aren’t actually there! The lack of a monthly fee is another win.
Price is a bit up there, but the peace of mind might be worth it, especially if you live on a large piece of property or if your dog is an escape artist. We wish the range was a little wider, too.
2. Kurgo Seatbelt Tether
Kurgo Seatbelt Tether
Seatbelt tether for safer car rides
Fortunately, there are some more budget-friendly options, like Kurgo’s Seatbelt Tether. It is designed to keep your pooch in place, allowing you to travel safely without the risk of a wandering woofer. It has enough slack for your fur kid to sit or lay comfortably while preventing him from going airborne in case of a sudden stop.
- Once your pup’s harness is attached, just buckle into the seatbelt, and you’re ready to ride
- Compatible with all dog breeds and sizes
- Includes tether only
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee against manufacturer defects when purchased from an authorized Kurgo distributor
Options: Available in five styles: tether, zipline, bungee tether, carabiner clip, and swivel clip.
Keeping your canine safer during car travel is always important, and the Kurgo Seatbelt Tether makes this easy. Also, thanks to it’s straightforward design it is easy to use and can be effortlessly taken vehicle to vehicle as needed. The number of design options are another perk, allowing you to pick what works best for you and your dog.
There were a few reports of the carabiner snapping, so we’d urge owners to select one of the other versions. The material also isn’t tough enough to stand up to leash chewers if your dog gets chompy. Also, you should note that it is not compatible with Volvo vehicles or Ford trucks.
3. RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler
About: Need a way to keep your canine comfy in sweltering weather? The RUFFWEAR Swamp Cooler Cooling Vest is a great option. Designed to keep your canine cooler via evaporative cooling (kinda like sweating), this cooling vest allows him to join in the fun of hiking, boating, and more.
It features three cooling layers: an outer to reflect the sun, middle to absorb and store water, and a thin mesh lining to keep your doggo dry.
- Offers UPF 50+ protection (a measure of the vest’s ultraviolet protection factor)
- Includes a reflective trim for added visibility
- Can be worn over most harnesses
- Machine washable
Options: Offered in six sizes, ranging from xx-small to x-large.
The vest is lightweight and flexible, never impeding your doggo’s desire to explore thanks to its lack of sleeves and sleek design. It keeps pups surprisingly cool, too, allowing for comfortable outdoor play time, even when it gets a little spicy.
Some pup parents found the clips hard to fasten based on their location on the vest. A few noted that the water reserves dried out faster than they would’ve liked, too.
We put the Swamp Cooler through its paces to see if it would work in high-humidity environments.
How did it perform? You’ll have to watch the video to find out!
4. Waggle Pet Temperature Monitor for RVs and Cars
Waggle Pet Monitor
Temperature monitoring device for RV-ers to alert you when temps are too high!
About: Designed specifically for pet-loving road warriors, the Waggle RV Temperature Monitor is a digital device that monitors the temperature of your car or RV and will alert you when temperatures are getting unsafe for your furry companions.
The device syncs to the Waggle app, where you can fine-tune the Waggle settings to choose whether you’ll be alerted via email or phone text (or both), the point outside a set temperature range where you’ll want to be alerted, notifications about power outages, etc.
For any individual or family who regularly travels with their pets, Waggle is a must for keeping pets safe and ensuring any road trip stays stress-free.
- Includes custom options for notification alerts and where the alerts will be sent
- Allows you to choose temperature alert range, humidity range, low battery alerts, and more
- Sleek, lightweight device that’s easy to set up and use
- App includes built-in RV networking features and a Vet Chat (for added fee)
- Get 40% off Waggle devices with code K9OFMINE40
Options: Waggle Lite, which we dug into in a full hands-on Waggle review there’s also the Waggle 4G – a premium version that includes an LCD screen and GPS tracking.
A must-have device for RV-ers or anyone who frequently travels across the country with their dog and wants to rest easy knowing they’ll always be safe in any vehicle.
The device itself is a bit pricey ($200 – $300 depending on the model), and requires a monthly fee on top of that to utilize Verizon’s 4G towers.
4. Waggle Car & RV Temperature Monitor
Blazin’ Safety LED Collar
Rechargeable LED safety collar for nightime walks
About: It’s often necessary to walk your dog after dark, but that creates some obvious safety issues. So, protect your pupper in low-light conditions with the Blazin’ Safety LED Collar.
Better than simple reflective collars, this collar features lights that are visible up to 350 yards away. This will help ensure motorists can see you and your pooch from a distance
- Bulbs are small and low profile rather than bulky, never impeding comfort
- Has three settings: on, blink, and strobe
- Holds a charge for up to 8 hours
- Each collar is ⅝-inch thick
Options: Available in four sizes, ranging from x-small to large, and nine colors.
This is a must-have for walks in the dark, especially for those early morning potty breaks when drivers are flying through the neighborhood to get to work on time. The high-visibility is also great for keeping your pooch visible during hunting season, if you live near an area where this is common.
Some owners found that their pups inadvertently pressed the button to switch it on, off, or change settings while playing or itching. Others felt it was a bit heavy for smaller dogs to wear.
Dog Grooming Gadgets
Not all dogs have elaborate grooming requirements, but you’ll still need to do a few basic things like bathe and brush your pup from time to time — no matter what breed you have. For that matter, all dogs need their nails maintained on a consistent basis.
Once again, technology comes to the rescue! Check out some of our favorite dog-grooming gadgets below.
1. Bissell Barkbath
About: The Bissell Barkbath is a two-in-one wonder tool, doubling as a portable dog washer and an upholstery cleaner. It works by jetting the water and shampoo to the skin (or your couch) and then gently sucking away the dirty water.
This results in clean canines and furniture, and eliminates the mess baths sometimes create.
- Per the manufacturer, the Barkbath can clean an 80-pound dog with a mere 68 ounces of water, which is a lot less than a standard tub or hose extravaganza
- Comes with three adjustable spray nozzles
- Sound is the equivalent of using a standard vacuum
- Every Bissell purchase benefits the Bissell Pet Foundation, a charity that helps out homeless pets
Using this is a lot easier than fussing with the bathtub and comes in handy during colder months, when it’s too chilly to wash your canine outdoors. This works on a wide range of breeds, though the manufacturer recommends using it on dogs above 15 pounds based on the nozzle size.
Not every dog will tolerate a grooming session with one of these based on the sound and resemblance to a vacuum. The included sound-dampening matt and long hose can help with the volume, however.
2. Dyson Grooming Attachment
About: Super-shedders can drive even the most patient pooch owners crazy. But the Dyson Groom Tool makes it easy to conquer shedding season by taking on fur tumbleweeds at the source — your dog.
Just slide it on your vacuum hose, brush along your pooch, remove their hair, and forget about the mess!
- Adjustable bristle length, allowing you to cater to each pup (great in multi-pet houses!)
- Designed for medium to long-haired dog breeds
- Angled bristles allow for a more comfortable, thorough groom
- Comes with three modes: groom, self-clean, and self-store
The attachment does an excellent job at containing the mess of grooming by suctioning in loose hair rather than letting it float off. This tool also cuts down on shedded hair around the home, too, when used regularly.
This is only compatible with Dyson vacuums, which unfortunately means it won’t work for a lot of fur families, even if you already have a vacuum designed for combating pet hair. Pricing is also on the high side, and many dogs dislike vacuums enough that this might be impossible for them to use without stressing them out.
3. Petural Nail Grinder
About: Regular nail maintenance is imperative for your pooch’s health, but — as you may already know — many dogs hate having their nails clipped. If that sounds like your dog, you may want to try the Petural Nail Grinder.
It not only makes nail maintenance easier, it makes it less stressful too, by eliminating the risk of accidentally snipping your dog’s nail quick. Its diamond bit grinder is reusable and long lasting, gently powering through nails with ease.
- Quiet motor for a more relaxing experience
- Features 2 speeds and 3 port sizes for small, medium, and large dogs
- Rechargeable battery life of 6 hours and can be charged in any USB port
- Cord-free making it easy to use wherever you need to
If you’re inexperienced or nervous about nail trimming with traditional clippers, this is an excellent choice for safely keeping your pup’s nails in tip-top shape. It also works marvelously for dogs who become nervous when you pull out the clippers. The pricing is a win, too, along with the long-term savings if you head to the groomer for frequent nail trims.
Not every dog will tolerate a nail grinder, regardless of how quiet it may be. The sizing may be a bit bulky for use on toy breeds, like Chihuahuas, and you may need to trim your dog’s foot hair ahead of time to avoid a painful snag.
Want to see the Petural Grinder in action? Check out our nail-grinding tutorial (featuring the Petural Grinder) below!
4. Aquapaw Pet Bathing Tool
Aquapaw Pet Bathing Tool
Easy-to use sprayer-scrubber combo
About: There’s a lot going on during bath time, and it can be tricky to complete the task with only two hands. But the Aquapaw Pet Bathing Tool makes bath time more pleasant for you and your pup by replacing the big scary house with a fun and easy-to-use, palm-sized sprayer that attaches to your hand.
Designed as a scrubber and sprayer in one, it cuts down on washing time and lets you get back to the fun lickety split.
- One-size-fits-all design works on either hand
- Included strap is adjustable and keeps the device in place to prevent a flyaway sprayer
- Can attach to outdoor hoses or indoor showers
- Easy to turn on and off, without having to touch the tap
The click on/off design makes one-handed washing possible, allowing you to focus on giving your pooch his well-earned rubs (or preventing him from bolting from the tub!) The textured rubber teeth also help you give your dog an even deep clean from head to tail that feels as good as it works.
This isn’t the best pick for long-haired dogs, since the teeth of it aren’t long enough to reach the skin to massage. Some found the plastic construction less than durable, too.
Dog Training Gadgets
Training your dog is an on-going, life-long process. So, even if your dog already knows how to “Sit” and “Stay” (or even more complicated tasks), you’ll want to continue to practice his skills and obedience over time.
Fortunately, there are a number of cool gadgets that make training easier.
1. AUDWUD Silicone Dog Treat Pouch
About: Treats are vital for positive, reward-based training sessions — the problem is, it can be tricky to keep them handy without making a mess. But the AUDWUD’s Silicone Treat Pouch is a small, low-profile treat pouch that makes this a breeze! Designed to stow the goods without getting in your way, this 4-inch-by-5-inch pouch holds a respectable amount of treats and keeps them at the ready.
- Made with BPA-free silicone that safe for use around pup food
- Clips onto belts, buckles, or lanyards for hands-free use
- Magnetic closure allows for one-handed use
- Dishwasher safe for effortless cleaning
Options: Offered in six colors, including neutrals like gray, and bright hues, like yellow.
Keeping this treat pouch clean is a breeze. The silicone surface wipes clean easily, preventing the dreaded putrid pouch if you use smelly treats during training (which you definitely should). The easy access the pouch provides is another perk, since the last thing you want to be doing mid-training is fumbling with a pouch.
Some owners found that the pouch was a little too flimsy for their liking, as it folds and contorts easily. This makes it a bit frustrating when you bend over with the pouch attached to a waist clip, as treats can fall out.
Want to see the AUDWUD Treat Pouch (and three other good ones) in action? Check out our hands-on review below!
2. PetSafe Clik-R
About: One of the coolest things about training your dog is that it doesn’t usually cost a lot of money to do so. You really only need some treats and a good clicker. And many of these audible reinforcers — like PetSafe’s Clik-R Clicker — are amazingly affordable.
This specific clicker is nice for clicker training because it features a finger strap for convenience and a plastic housing, which is easy to clean.
- Large button design for easy use
- Can be used to aid in the training of dogs, as well as other animals
- Added hoop allows you to attach to a lanyard or belt hook
- Recommended for dogs and puppies 8 weeks old and above
The shape fits well in the hand, and the added finger straps give you a secure hold, even on the move. This is a very helpful feature that many other clickers fail to provide. The clicker’s reasonable volume level also gets a paw’s up from pups who dislike loud sounds, too.
Some pup parents found it a little harder to click than other clickers, but this varies by your preference. Others noted that the click isn’t as loud as they’d like, so it’s probably best suited for use in relatively quiet and chill settings.
3. Hi Kiss Recall Lead
About: Gadgets don’t necessarily have to be complicated to be helpful. For example, this gadget — the Hi Kiss Recall Training Lead — is little more than a really long lead.
However, this tool is an invaluable tool that gives you peace of mind while teaching your pup the basics or honing his listening skills while outdoors. The bright color options make ideal for high-visibility, even in low-light conditions.
- Made with ¾ inch-thick nylon
- Works well with most dog breeds (though it may be heavy for tiny doggos)
- Swivel clasp helps prevent the least from twisting
- The material floats, allowing for awesome water adventures
Options: The lead is available in 8 colors and 5 lengths, ranging from 15 to 100 feet.
This leash is surprisingly light, given its length, which means it is great for handling in the field, especially if you plan on using it during a jog with your pup. And while the leash is thin, it’s also surprisingly strong and capable of withstanding most medium to large breeds.
If your pooch is a leash chewer, this isn’t the best option and serious chompers will work their way through it quickly. Also, there can be a bit of a learning curve for owners first trying to use a really long lead, as it can be a bit cumbersome and get caught up under your dog’s paws.
Does your four-footer have any of these awesome dog gadgets? Does he own another one that’s a wow? Let us know in the comments!