Is your canine one of a kind? Is your fur-baby happy to stand out from the crowd? If so, a hipster dog name is probably a perfect match for your pooch.
In general, a “hipster” is someone who has an affinity for counter-culture, independent thinking, and the arts. Hipsters aren’t afraid to stray away from the pack and embrace alternative forms and flavors of expression.
Below, we’ll share some of our favorite hipster dog names to highlight your distinct doggo’s demeanor.
Male Hipster Dog Names
If your best buddy likes to do things his own way, one of these male hipster dog names is perfect for your pooch.
Female Hipster Dog Names
Does your spirited sweetheart march to the beat of her own drummer? Here are some female hipster dog names to encapsulate her spirit.
Gender Neutral Hipster Dog Names
Whether your pooch is a boy or girl, there’s no doubting that your dog is distinct. Check out these gender neutral cool dog names to consider.
Funny Hipster Dog Names
Is your hipster hound a bit of a goofball? If so, you’ll certainly want to check out some of these funny hipster dog names.
Ironic Hipster Dog Names
Sometimes, a hipster trope becomes a trend, thereby making the originally “alternative” or hipster idea ironically mainstream. Here are some ironic dog names inspired by popular hipster trends.
- Avocado (Avo for short)
“Hipster” Dog Breeds: All-Original Four-Footers
While there aren’t necessarily any specific dog breeds that align with hipster culture since it’s constantly evolving, we thought we would share with you a few lesser known dog breeds. While these dogs might not be in the limelight like Labradors, they certainly deserve some consideration.
- Cesky Terrier — These small terriers are the national dog of the Czech Republic make amazing family dogs. You’ll find that the Cesky Terrier serves as a great watchdog who’s endlessly devoted to his loved ones.
- Norwegian Lundehund — These energetic sweethearts are the ultimate underdogs, as they were the least popular breed according to the AKC in 2020. Norwegian Lundehunds are clever canines that have a variety of fascinating features including six toes on each foot.
- Chinook — These rare all-purpose sled dogs make smart, friendly four-footers that love spending time with their families. The Chinook is New Hampshire’s official state dog and is known for his patient, versatile nature.
- Affenpinscher — These seriously scruffy dogs have a distinct look that pairs well with their famously funny personalities. Don’t be fooled by the small size, these dogs have plenty of gusto.
- Löwchen — Lowchen dogs make affectionate, playful canine companions that love to spend time with their families. These positive pups are known for their distinct lion-like hair style.
- Curly-Coated Retriever — Curly-Coated retrievers are versatile athletes, always up for the next adventure alongside their human BFF. These smart, confident dogs make amazing furry friends so long as you can provide them with enough exercise to keep them occupied.
Consider Adopting Your Hipster Sidekick
Of course, the ultimate hipster dog is probably a multi-breed mutt from a local shelter.
So, don’t forget to consider adopting a rescue instead of buying a pooch. This not only means you’ll be helping a cute little canine by giving him a forever home, but you’ll be setting yourself up with a true one-of-a-kind floof as well!
Just be sure that any soon-to-be-yours rescue pupper has a personality that meshes with yours.
It’s also a good idea to try to get a basic idea of the pup’s genetic background. It isn’t always easy (or possible, short of a DNA test) to do so, but the more info you have on your potential adopted pooch, the better.
Adoption certainly isn’t right for all people in all circumstances, but it’s always a good option to consider.
Selecting a hipster dog name can be a great way to capture your dog’s distinct personality. Hopefully, one of these names encapsulates your dog’s unique traits and spirit.
How does your dog differ from the pack? Have you already decided on a great name for your pooch? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!