There’s just no getting around it: It’s incredibly challenging to say goodbye to a beloved pet.
But some pet parents have found that a pet memorial stone can help with the healing process. These stones serve as both a memorial of your pet’s life and a reminder of the days you spent together.
Below, we’ll outline a couple of things you want to consider when trying to pick a pet memorial stone and share a few of our favorite options on the market.
Quick Picks: Best Pet Memorial Stones
- You Left Paw Prints On Our Hearts Memorial Stone [Best Overall Memorial Stone]: This black granite stone looks great, comes at an affordable price, and includes several customizable features.
- Custom Mosaic Memorial Stone [Most Decorative Memorial Stone]: While this stone features a higher price point than some others, it’s a truly beautiful, stand-out piece to honor your furry friend.
- Paw Prints Remembered Stone [Most Affordable Memorial Stone]: This memorial stone comes at an budget-friendly price and has a photo frame to feature your angel.
What Is a Pet Memorial Stone? What Should You Look for When Picking One?
A pet memorial stone is simply a real stone (or cast stone) that honors your pet’s life. They typically feature information about your pet (such as his name and the dates of his life) and perhaps a photograph or touching message.
Among other things, a pet memorial stone or memorial plaque can serve as a loving tribute to a dog (or cat) who has passed on. When choosing a pet memorial stone, you have a number of different factors to consider:
Shape. Most pet memorial stones feature a stone with engraving, but some stones are crafted into specific shapes, like a heart or a paw print.
Portrait or Image. Consider if you want a basic portrait of your pet on your memorial stone. Alternatively, some choose to use a more generic dog or cat silhouette or a paw print image.
Wording. You can choose to display your pet’s years or a touching sentiment, or you may simply put your pet’s name and nothing else.
Customization. Cost will vary depending on the level of customization you’re looking for. Naturally, pet memorial stones with custom portraits or wording will cost more than general pet memorial stones. The customization process also means you’ll have to wait a little longer to receive the finished product.
Location. You will want to make sure that you get a stone that lends itself to being displayed in the space you have for it. If you want your memorial stone mounted on a wall inside, for example, look for a lightweight piece that has a keyhole in the back. On the other hand, if you plan to place it in your garden, look for a heftier stone that can withstand all types of weather.
The 11 Best Pet Memorial Stones: Commemorating Your Canine’s Life
Now that you know what to look for, you can check out 11 or our favorite pet memorial stones on the market!
1. You Left Paw Prints on Our Hearts Pet Memorial Stones
About: These Black Granite Memorial Stones from RocksOnly are engraved with your pet’s name, and the sweet statement, “You left paw prints on our hearts.” However, this memorial plaque can also be customized with a saying of your choice.
The black stones are adorned with two paw prints and are designed for both indoor and outdoor use. These memorial stones are made in the USA.
- Personalized memorial stone
- Made in the USA
- 12” by 6”
- Weighs 3.4 pounds
- Acceptable for indoor or outdoor use
- Pet parents appreciated this stone’s ample customization options
- Engraved stone is designed to last over time
- Great as a garden stone or grave marker
- Some found the low contrast design difficult to read
- A few pet parents found the stone thinner than they expected
2. Custom Mosaic Dog Portrait Memorial Stone
Custom Mosaic Dog Portrait Memorial Stone
A gorgeous handmade memorial stone with a built-in stained glass portrait.
About: This Custom Mosaic Pet Memorial Stone is a pricey but unique keepsake of your pet. After you provide a photo of your beloved pup, the artist creates a customized mosaic portrait made from pieces of colored glass.
The base stone is a river rock, hand-selected by the artist from nature. The glass pieces are surrounded by decorative ball-chain and mounted to the stone using weather-proof grout.
This memorial stone can be kept outdoors, although the artist recommends bringing it inside during colder months so as not to crack the glass.
- Most stones are somewhere between 9” and 12” long
- Stunning art piece made from your pet’s photo
- Made from real rocks
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use, though the stained glass will last longer indoors
- Can be embedded with multiple pictures and you dog’s name
- A truly gorgeous memorial befitting your pet
- Owners found the artist very responsive and easy-to-work-with
- Pieces were received in a timely manner and well-packaged
- This is a pretty expensive memorial stone
- Customization takes more time than premade stones
3. Paw Prints Remembered Stone
Paw Prints Remembered Stone
Pawprint-shaped stone with built-in photo frame.
About: The Paw Prints Rembemered Stone is an affordable option for owners on a budget and comes in a unique paw print shape. This thoughtful stone has a built-in protected photo frame so that you can commemorate your one-of-a-kind canine.
Inscription reads, “Missing your unconditional love and playful paws, we are now apart. Gone from our lives, but never from our heart.”
- Built-in 2” X 3” photo frame
- Measures 8.25″ X 8.5″ Wide
- Weighs about 2 pounds
- Paw print shape
- Made out of weatherproof resin
- We think the built-in photo frame is a nice feature
- The paw print shape suits the purpose well
- It’s both affordable and attractive
- Photos may fade over time if left in the sun
- Some pet parents found the inscription difficult to read
4. Design Toscano Dog Angel Pet Grave Marker Statue
About: This moderately priced Dog Angel Grave Marker by Design Toscano is a small statue of a winged dog (like a “dog angel”), curled up and sleeping peacefully.
Hand-cast from crushed stone and resin, and then coated with a UV-resistant finish, this memorial stone is built to stand up to the elements for many years.
- 10” x 5.5” at the base
- For indoor or outdoor use
- UV-ray resistant finish
- Weighs about 2 pounds
- Owners were impressed by this statue’s ability to withstand all kinds of weather
- It’s a relatively unique memorial statue
- It’s relatively small, making it easy to fit in tight spaces
- This grave marker cannot be customized
- Some may find the statue too small
5. Personalized Pet Memorial Stepping Stone
About: This attractive pet memorial stone is designed to be placed in your garden as a stepping stone.
It comes in a delicate sand color with a mocha-colored insert in the shape of a dog bone, making this stone an elegant yet subtle addition to your garden or home. Inside the dog bone, you can add your dog’s name and the dates of his life.
Above and below the dog bone there is an inscription which reads, “Forever Missed / Forever in Our Hearts” (a lovely sentiment, although it cannot be altered).
- Customizable inscription
- Made from concreteWeighs about 10 pounds
- This is one of the most durable stones available
- High quality stone at an affordable price
- Excellent customer service and customization features
- Some pet parents wish they could have removed the etched inscription
- A couple of owners found the light font difficult to read
6. Evergreen Dog Paw Print Garden Stone
About: This attractive memorial stone from Evergreen uses a natural rock design with two paw prints engraved into it.
Below the paw prints is a sentiment etched in cursive which reads,”If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.”
This stone has been treated to withstand all types of weather. Although this is advertised as a “garden stone,” there is also a hole in the back so that it can be mounted vertically, if desired.
- Made of a synthetic material called polystone
- Weighs 2 pounds
- Measures 12” by 3”
- Can be displayed on the ground or mounted vertically
- Treated for outdoor use
- Owners found the stone was heavy enough to stay put once placed
- Beautiful design that offers a touching sentiment
- Sturdy weather-treated stone material is perfect for outdoor use
- No customization features offered
- Some pet parents reported that the stone they received appears darker than the one advertised
7. Carson Beaded Pet Memorial Stone
About:This heart-shaped memorial stone from Cason features a unique paw print with inset accent stones.
The pawprint takes up the upper right-hand side of the heart, while the rest of the heart is covered by an etched inscription which reads, “No longer by my side… but forever in my Heart.”
This stone is made of resin, but it’s designed to look like sandstone. It also features ahole in the back, so it can be hung or placed in the garden.
- Weighs about 3 pounds
- 9.25” by 1”
- Sandstone-like appearance
- Unique heart shape
- Mounting hole is included for vertical mounting
- Can be mounted vertically or placed in the garden
- The beads add a little sparkle
- Built to withstand intense weather conditions
- The stone cannot be customized
- Some pet parents founds that the stone was darker than expected
8. Granite Dog Memorial Stone
Granite Dog Memorial Stone
A sleek and affordable granite stone featuring laser-engraved text and images.
About: If you are looking for a sleek, modern-looking memorial option that is also affordable, this granite dog memorial stone from an Etsy artist could be perfect for you.
This memorial is square in shape and It’s made of a shiny, black granite with white engraving. The stone features your pup’s name in large letters along the top, decorative paw prints in the center, and a dog bone along the bottom with your dog’s dates inside. It is suitable for indoor or outdoor use.
- 6” by 6”
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Features laser-engraved text and graphics
- Can be customized with a photo of your pet
- The stone includes your pet’s name, the dates of his life, and two paw prints
- Customized design ships quickly – typically within 2 to 5 days
- Simple, easy-to-read design
- Sturdy stones are built to last
- Very few complaints from owners
- Laser-engraved text may fade over time
9. Granite Memorial Stone with Photo
Granite Memorial Stone with Photo
An elegant, granite memorial stone with an included photo of your pet.
The polished black granite stone is circular. It can be customized with your dog’s name, the dates of his life, an inscription, and/or a photo laser-etched in white.
The artist will work with you individually via Etsy messenger to determine which photo will look best etched onto the granite and to find a design that you are happy with.
- 6” diameter
- Laser-engraved with custom photo
- Customizable name, life dates, and a touching saying
- Proof of design is sent before creation
- Polished black granite
- Owners loved the way the artist crafted the engraved picture and appreciated the customizable design
- The proof of concept email sent by the seller helps ensure the design is exactly what the owner is looking for
- Affordable price point considering the customization features
- Since the stone is only a quarter of an inch thick, it is fairly fragile
- Laser etching can wear over time if it isn’t cared for properly
10. Engraved Granite Pet Marker
Engraved Granite Pet Marker
A made-to-order granite grave marker for pets who’ve passed away.
About: If you like the idea of engraved granite, but want a pretty substantial memorial stone, this engraved granite pet marker from Etsy is an excellent (although somewhat pricey) option.
This polished black granite block resembles a grave marker, rather than just a simple stone. The marker can be customized with a photo and any text of your choice, and the artist will work with you by showing you a design proof for your approval.
- 4” by 8”
- Sturdy granite construction
- Engraved with photo, name, date, and quote
- Natural stone
- White-colored text
- You get to approve the proof before it is finalized
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- One of the few upright pet grave markers available
- It’s a pretty expensive memorial stone
- Made to order stones require more time for processing
11. RocksOnly If Love Could Have Saved You
About: RocksOnly offers this sturdy memorial stone made out of cast concrete in the USA. This stone will stay put with its hefty build and has a touching engraved message, “If only love could have saved you, you would’ve lived forever.”
The engraved stone sits upright making it an effective memorial marker to add to a garden or backyard.
- Cast concrete material
- 6” by 8.5”
- Made in the USA
- Upright design
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- This is one of the few upright memorial stone designs
- Pet parents appreciated the sturdiness of this stone
- Shipped in a gift box to share with loved ones
- No customization features
- Some pet parents found the rock much lighter than the advertised photo
Pet Memorial Stone FAQ: Your Pet Memorial Questions Answered
Still have questions about pet memorial stones and the best way to honor your dog? We’ll try to answer some of the most common questions below!
How Do You Make a Memorial Stone for a Pet?
You can use a pet memorial stone kit like this one to craft a touching outdoor garden stone for your past pet. Some memorial stones can be customized and ordered to commemorate your one-of-a-kind canine if you aren’t much of a DIYer.
What Are Pet Stones?
Pet stones are thoughtful outdoor ornaments made out of stone designed to memorialize your past pet. Some pet stones can be customized, while others are sent out with a thoughtful message.
What Can I Put On a Pet Memorial?
Pet memorials can be placed outside in a garden or used as a thoughtful grave headstone. Some pet parents may opt to mount a pet memorial stones inside. You can put just about anything near your pet memorial! Flowers or some of your dog’s favorite toys are great choices.
What Are Dog Memorial Stones Made Of?
Dog memorial stones are made out of a variety of materials. Some of the most common materials include stone, polystone (a type of synthetic stone), and reisin.
We hope you’ve found a fitting tribute for your pet from this list of recommended pet memorial stones. You may also want to look at some of the best dog caskets around in you still need to bury your beloved pet.
Dealing with the loss of a pet is difficult. Yet, I know from personal experience, having a well-located memorial stone or memorial plaque can often help with the grieving process. We hope that this article is of some comfort or assistance to you.
If you have bought a pet memorial stone, let us know about it. Did it help you cope with your loss? What kind of pet memorial stone did you buy and why? How do you have it displayed now? We want to hear about your experiences. Also, feel free to share your memories of passed pets or other ways you choose to remember your pets in the comments below.