People need dessert, dogs need treats. It’s a simple fact of life!
In fact, dogs need treats more than humans need dessert, because treats for dogs can serve as a training incentive, a nutritional bonus, and a sign of your love and appreciation.
No doubt your doggo has some strong opinions when it comes to treats, but you’ll want to steer him towards healthy, high-quality options. Usually, a surefire way to ensure safety and quality is to look for treats sourced from and made in the United States.
Across the globe, countries have varying standards for safety and quality when it comes to pet treats. Some treats sold in your local pet store come from places where the standard is quite low, and by giving your pup these treats you can unknowingly put him at risk for a host of health issues.
At the very least, your pup is not reaping the benefits of the healthy and wholesome options out there. But when you feed your pooch snacks sourced exclusively from the US, you can rest assured that he’s getting ingredients manufactured to a high industry standard.
Your dog deserves the best, so consider American-made treats next time you’re shopping for snacks!
We’ll explain the benefits of US-made treats and identify five of the best ones available below. But, if you’re in a hurry, just check out our quick picks!
Quick Picks: Our Three Favorite US-Made Dog Treats
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats — Grain-free treats from one of the leading dog food manufacturers, these bite-sized morsels are available in a variety of flavors to suit your pup’s palate.
- Nudges Steak Grillers — Made with real steak, these tasty treats are easy to tear into small pieces, and they’re made without any animal by-products.
- Blue Buffalo Health Bars — These crunchy treats are made without corn or wheat, and they’re packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
5 Best USA Made Treats for Dogs
There are a ton of great treats on the market, but the following five US-made options are easily among the best choices for most doggos.
1. Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Dog Treats
About: Buffalo-based treat maker Milk-Bone has been cooking up beloved dog treats for years. Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Dog Treats are a softer version of the classic Milk-Bone snacks, and they’re packed with vitamins and a flavor your pooch will love!
- Contains (1) 25-ounce containers of Milk-Bone Soft and Chewy Beef and Filet Mignon Recipe With Chuck...
- Soft and chewy dog treats made with real chuck roast
- Fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals
- Great for dogs of all sizes
Features: Milk-Bone Soft & Chewy Dog Treats boast twelve different vitamins to promote several aspects of pooch health. And they’re made with real, delicious proteins, such as beef and chicken.
Beef, Chicken, Soy Grits, Sugar, Corn Starch...,
Filet Mignon, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Rice Flour, Propylene Glycol, Natural Smoke Flavor, Guar Gum, Lactic Acid, Garlic Powder, Potassium Sorbate (Used as a Preservative), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Red 40, Sodium Nitrite (for Color Retention), Yellow 5, BHA (Used as a Preservative), Blue 2.
Options: Sold in 25-ounce containers or in smaller pouches, with your choice of filet mignon or chicken flavors.
These treats are super soft so they can be broken up into smaller pieces easily, making them perfect for training or snacking. Dogs reportedly love the flavor, especially the filet mignon.
Past purchasers complain of the strong stink from these treats. These treats are also pretty rich, which sometimes doesn’t sit well with all canine stomachs.
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats
About: The popular pet food manufacturer also makes a variety of pet treats! Blue Buffalo Wilderness Trail Treats are delightful bite-sized snacks, offered in a variety of flavors.
- PACKED WITH REAL DUCK: BLUE Wilderness Trail Treats start with real duck as the first ingredient,...
- CRUNCHY DOG TREATS: These dog biscuits are made with an irresistible crunch to satisfy their wild...
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: Made with omega 3 & 6 fatty acids plus antioxidants, these grain free dog...
- NATURAL DOG TREATS: Featuring only wholesome ingredients you’ll love feeding, Wilderness dog...
Features: These grain-free delights are made without by-products. And, like all Blue Buffalo products, they’re made in the USA from healthy, nutritious ingredients.
Duck, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids)...,
Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Salt, Calcium Carbonate
Options: Sold in 8-, 10-, and 24-ounce packages, these tasty treats are offered in Salmon & Venison, Duck, Salmon, Turkey, or a Variety Pack of flavors.
These little crunchy delights are a favorite among pups. These treats are high in protein and low in sugar, which makes them a great option for diabetic dogs (as well as normal, healthy puppers).
The actual size of the treats is quite small, which sometimes makes it difficult for bigger dogs to fully chew and swallow. Additionally, owners report that sometimes these treats are broken into crumbs upon arrival.
3. Blue Buffalo Health Bars
About: The second appearance of Blue Buffalo on our list, Blue Buffalo Health Bars are another great American-made snack with even more flavors and options.
- MADE WITH REAL BACON: Blue Health Bars dog treats prove that a healthy treat can be tasty too. With...
- CRUNCHY DOG TREATS: For dogs that prefer a crunch these dog biscuits are oven baked for a texture...
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: These dog treats contain omega 3 fatty acids and important antioxidants to...
- HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Made with only the finest natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and...
Features: These crunchy delights are packed with immune-health supporting vitamins, and they leave out the corn and wheat by-products.
Oatmeal, Oat Flour, Barley, Rye, Chicken Meal...,
Bacon, Dried Egg Product, Cheese Powder, Flaxseed (Source Of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Carrots, Canola Oil, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source Of Vitamin C), Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Oil Of Rosemary, Vitamin E Supplement.
Options: There’s a wide variety of flavors that are sure to satisfy your pup’s taste buds, including Apple & Yogurt, Bacon Egg & Cheese, Banana & Yogurt, Pumpkin & Cinnamon, and more.
The larger size of the biscuit is perfect for big dogs to snack on. The larger size also makes them a great pre-walk snack to provide the necessary energy boost some pooches need.
These treats tend to be a bit on the harder side, making it difficult for some pups to crunch through. Additionally, unlike many of the other treats on our list, meat is not the first ingredient listed.
4. Chews Premium Grillers Made with Real Chicken
About: Complete with real grill marks, Chews Premium Grillers Made With Real Chicken is an all-natural meaty delight that your dog will devour!
- NEW TO BLUE: True Chews are now part of the Blue Buffalo family; Same great taste and healthy...
- REAL CHICKEN FIRST: made with delicious real chicken as the first ingredient for irresistible,...
- TAIL-WAGGING TEXTURE: These deliciously charred treats have a grilled, meaty texture dogs adore
- ONLY WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: True Chews treats are formulated with only the finest natural...
Features: These tasty morsels are made with chicken from the US, without additions of corn, wheat, or soy. They’re also made without any artificial flavors or preservatives.
Chicken, Ground Rice, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Cane Syrup, Natural Flavors...,
Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Natural Smoke Flavor, Colored With Paprika.
These treats are extra soft, so they’re a perfect option for pups with dental issues or missing teeth. Additionally, they’re made from American-sourced chicken without many extra additives.
These treats can be a bit on the messy side due to their soft and squishy texture.
5. Nudges Steak Grillers
About: Nudges Steak Grillers are steak-flavored delights, made with American beef, in US-based kitchens.
- NEW TO BLUE: Nudges are now part of the Blue Buffalo family; Same great taste and healthy...
- REAL STEAK FIRST: Nudges Grillers are made with delicious real steak as the first ingredient for an...
- TAIL-WAGGING TEXTURE: Dogs will dig the tender and deliciously charred texture of these healthy dog...
- MADE IN THE USA: Nudges are USA-made with the world’s finest ingredients
Features: These steak treats are made without extra flavors or preservatives, boasting all-natural ingredients. They don’t contain any animal byproducts, and they’re quite easy to tear into smaller pieces if necessary.
Beef (includes steak), chicken, ground rice, vegetable glycerin, sugar...,
natural flavors, salt, distilled vinegar, natural smoke flavor, colored with paprika and caramel.
Options: These treats are sold in quantities of 3-, 10-, 16-, and 36-ounce, bags, with the option of chicken or beef flavors.
The soft texture of these treats and the tantalizing taste makes them perfect for a training aid. Most pups seemed to love the flavor too.
Some owners report that these treats didn’t sit too well with their pups’ stomachs. As with any treat, you’ll want to watch your pooch closely after giving him a snack or two for any changes in behavior.
Does Your Dog Even Need Treats?
Treats for your pup are as important as healthy snacks are to you. Daily meals and feeding habits are of course vital to general health, but the right treats can enhance your pup’s physical condition, mood, and mind.
Here are the main reasons why treats are a must:
- Training — A tasty treat is the perfect incentive for teaching your pup to sit, stay, and more! Treats are vital to piquing the interest of your pooch and keeping him focused on learning to perform tricks.
- Distractions —Dreaded trips to the vet and similar frightening situations for your pooch can be made a little less scary by scrumptious snacks. Distractions for dogs can also be useful when meeting new friends (human or canine), going exciting places, and more, to keep your pup’s attention on you, his handler.
- Quality of Life — Treats aren’t called treats for nothing! Just like you enjoy a snack or dessert from time to time, your pup surely enjoys the dog-friendly delicacies he’s given. Variety is the spice of life for dogs too!
- Supplemental Calories — Just like humans need extra calories before and during exercise, pups may need some extra energy for long and strenuous walks. Healthy treats with the right ingredients can give your pooch the boost he needs, when he needs it.
Picking Treats for Your Pooch: Factors to Consider
Not all dog treats are alike, so don’t just pick the first one you see on the shelf with a cute pup on the packaging. Do your research on ingredients, the manufacturer, and the reviews, and select the best treat based on your pooch’s needs.
Here are a few factors to consider when you pick out the perfect treat for your doggo:
- Specific Health Concerns — Does your dog have any dietary restrictions? If so, this should be the forefront of your treat-choosing criteria. While your pup’s daily diet is a pretty good indicator of what treat ingredients will sit well in his stomach, it’s best to watch him closely after starting him on new treats for any negative reactions.
- Calories — Some dogs need treats to gain weight. Others, more commonly, need to lose a pound or two. Thankfully, there are treats out there to fit most any caloric needs. If your dog is on the husky side (and isn’t a husky), be sure and choose treats accordingly.
- Pooch Preferences — Consider your dog’s regular meals and preferred flavors when selecting a treat. From pork to beef to seafood, dog treats come in every flavor imaginable, just like dog food.
- Ingredients — When it comes to selecting the right treat for your pup, a healthy composition is key. Typically, the fewer ingredients, the better. To get a good idea of what your pooch is eating, read the first few ingredients on the list, and look for meat to be a primary ingredient.
Why Are US-Made Treats the Best?
To be fair, a lot of countries across the globe produce high-quality pet treats. For instance, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and much of Western Europe offer several great options for pet treats.
However, USA-made treats offer a host of benefits that few international options can match:
- Safety — Treats made in America must meet standards and expectations when being marketed and sold in the US. While treats from other countries are similarly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, most of the time it only steps in after problems have been reported. It’s best to buy USA-made treats, since you can rest assured that the ingredients sourced stateside are safer.
- Quality — Simply put, treats made in America are typically a higher quality product than those made elsewhere. While ingredients and quality vary by brand, American-made treats are more likely to have fewer low-quality ingredients and more naturally-fed animal products.
- Ease of Shipping — Obviously, American customers will have an easier time with shipping from companies based in the US. Additionally, you can count on the freshness of the treats you’re receiving since they aren’t traveling too far geographically.
Treats are an essential part of good pet ownership. Picking the right treat starts with picking the right brand, and American-sourced treats tend to set the standard for quality and convenience.
Which USA-made dog treats does your pooch enjoy? Let us know in the comments below!
Want more good ol’ made in the USA pet items? Check out our articles on: