Grabbing grub for yourself is easy nowadays with so many apps offering delivery service from your favorite restaurants, but did you know that you can do this same trick for your pup?
No, we’re not talking about ordering Max a meat-lovers pizza (though most dogs wouldn’t complain) — we’re talking about same-day dog food delivery.
So why would you need something like this? Well, we’ve all been there — you’re stuck at home and suddenly find the dog food bin empty and your pooch planning a mutiny.
Same-day dog food delivery solves that problem perfectly!
We’ll take a bite out of same-day dog food delivery service below, and identify a few of the best options for your pooch.
Best Same Day Dog Food Delivery
- Instacart [Best Option Overall] Available in many major cities nation-wide, Instacart provides groceries delivered ASAP. Get your dog’s food (as well as your own groceries) delivered to your door for a flat rate (usually between $8 – $15 depending on how quickly you want the goods delivered). Plus, if you spend a certain amount on certain promoted brands, you can get delivery for free!
- Fresh Direct [Best for Frequent Deliveries] While they offer a limited selection of dog food, delivery fees are reasonable and there are always different coupons and deals available. You can also sign up to pay a monthly flat fee and get all deliveries for free.
- Pet Food Express [Best for California Residents] This pet food delivery program operates in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Sacramento. Deliveries over $30 are free, and for cheaper orders you can pay a flat rate of just $4.99
- Chewy [Best Next-Day Option] Chewy offers an enormous variety of dog food brands. While they don’t offer same-day delivery, their 1-2 delivery comes awfully close. Plus, you can get 30% off your first autoship order!
Same-Day Dog Food Delivery Options
There are several same-day dog food delivery services available today, making filling your dog’s dish easier than ever. People continue to strive toward convenience, and retailers are answering the call for same-day delivery pet supplies.
Some of the best same-day dog food delivery options include:
1. Instacart (Numerous Retailers)
About: Forgot your pooch’s food? Instacart has you covered. This innovative on-demand grocery service provides same-day delivery from various retailers, including Petco, Sam’s Club, and more.
- Available via a website and an app, Instacart is an easy-to-use service that allows you to order from popular retailers, potentially allowing you to save extra time by ordering your dog food plus your own groceries at the same time
- You can have dog food delivered in as little as one hour
- There are many Instacart-exclusive deals that can save you dough for the important things (like treats)
- Pricing varies by delivery time request and the total amount you spend (usually around $7-9 for 5-hour delivery to $12-$15 for one-hour delivery)
There is both a website and an app, making it easy for ordering on the go if you suddenly realize you forgot your pup’s food. The delivery window is short, too, saving the day if you’re standing there at feeding time with an empty bowl and a hungry dog.
While convenient, the store options can be limited, which may be a problem for picky or allergy-prone puppers. Additionally, the slight markup at certain stores may squeeze your wallet. Instacart also isn’t available in all areas, which can be a drag, too.
About: Petsmart has tails going a mile a minute with its same-day scheduled deliveries. There’s no need to worry about hauling a heavy bag across a store — just select what you need from the comfort of home and have it delivered in a few hours.
- For Petsmart scheduled deliveries, all you need to do sign into their site and select the option at checkout, with deliveries available up to two days in the future
- Same-day delivery costs are low, and you can lessen prices overall by signing up for the auto-shop option that provides a 5% discount
- You can access same-day delivery via the website and the app
Since it’s Petsmart, you have a wide variety of dietary options for your pooch, so most popular brands and recipes should be available. It’s also nifty to be able to grab anything else your pup might need. What dog isn’t gaga for a dog treats delivery?
Not all areas offer same-day deliveries, so you may have to schedule a day or two out depending on your region. If you live in an especially rural area, you’ll likely have to stick to standard shipping, which not only takes longer but typically costs more.
3. Fresh Direct
About: Getting your pup’s grub straight to your door is easy with Fresh Direct. Log on, select your pup’s products, and poof — they’re delivered in your chosen time window.
- Available as both a website and as an app, you can take Fresh Direct on the go to order your dog’s food in a flash
- Order minimums vary by location and the delivery service fee starts at $5.99
- Frequent orderers can sign up and save with DeliveryPass for unlimited free deliveries for a set fee
Fresh Direct is affordable and easy to use if your household is too busy to head out to the store. They also offer special deals like coupons on products that save you money. Several big-name brands are available, too.
Compared to other options, the selection is limited, which can make ordering for dogs with food sensitivities or specific dietary needs difficult. Service areas are also quite limited and sometimes seasonal.
4. Pet Pro Services
About: Free up time with Pet Pro Services and have your pup’s food delivered right to your door.
Offering same-day service as well as scheduled deliveries, you can scoop up your dog’s supplies from home and let someone else do the shopping and heavy lifting.
- Pet Pro pet food delivery service is available in all 50 states
- Cost varies by location, and additional fees may apply if you schedule delivery in a gated community or apartment and access isn’t provided
- For orders placed before noon, same-day delivery is available
- Special ordering is available if the item you need isn’t in stock locally
Payment and ordering options are plentiful. Availability is widespread, too, though same-day service can be limited. The ability to special-order products is nifty as well.
The ordering process is a little clunkier than other options. While the website, fax (if you’re feeling nostalgic), and phone ordering options are great, an app option would be nice too. You can’t browse selections without inputting information either, which isn’t everyone’s favorite.
5. Pet Food Express
About: Pet Food Express is a California-based retailer that offers high-quality dog products via home delivery service. Log on, order, and you’re good to go. While you’re at it, input WELCOME20 for 20% off your first order.
- There is no delivery fee for orders over $30, and orders under the threshold are charged just $4.99
- Available in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Sacramento areas
- Same-day delivery service is available seven days a week except for major holidays with a 2:00 PM order cutoff time
The low threshold for free delivery is a win, as is the variety of high-quality pup grub, including freeze-dried and raw. The ability to schedule a delivery window is nice, too.
In addition to the limited service area, the 2:00 PM cutoff time for same-day service won’t save you in a pinch. Also, the high-end food options aren’t for every pup or budget.
6. Pet People
About: Pet People is an Ohio-based pet food delivery service that offers same-day distribution within four cities: Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and Dayton. Hop on the website, make your selections, and tada — your doggo has dinner on the way.
- Same-day service is available seven days a week between 2:00 and 7:00 PM except for major holidays as long as they are ordered before 5:00 PM
- Same-day service is free for orders over $75; otherwise a $5.00 delivery fee applies
- Many products are available for delivery, though frozen dog food is not
The delivery fee is minimal, and the available dog products are high-quality and diverse, making finding your pup’s usual pick a breeze.
Unfortunately, the service coverage area is extremely limited to only certain areas of Ohio. The products are also more on the high-end side, so if you feed big-brand kibble, you may not find it available.
7. Hollywood Feed
About: Grabbing your dog’s food is a breeze with Hollywood Feed, an easy-to-use website that eliminates the need to leave the house. Pick your pup’s favorite food from their site, and within an hour, Hollywood Feed delivers it to your door.
- Orders are delivered in one hour or less, with those ordered before 5:30 PM delivered same-day
- Pick from a wide array of food options, including dry, wet, freeze-dried, and more
- Same-day service is available seven days a week, except for some holidays, in areas in five states: Indiana, Mississippi, Ohio, Tennessee, and Texas
- A $5.95 delivery fee applies to orders under $75, while those over are delivered for free
Most food and dog supplies are available for same-day delivery, which is noted at checkout. The product availability is impressive, too, extending beyond the typical dry and canned food options of some other services. The price is also a winner, along with the Frequent Feeder rewards program that counts each purchase toward earning a free item over time.
The delivery range is limited to a few cities within five midwestern states, which leaves the rest of us in a Hollywood Feed drought. An app would be a nice option, too, if we had to be picky.
Next-Day Dog Food Delivery Options
Other services might not be able to make the same-day window, but they’re just as worthy of keeping in mind. These include:
About: The next time you order something on Amazon, check out their dog food options. That’s right; Amazon also carries a wide array of dog food for next-day delivery, including formulas for food-sensitive pooches and puppies, too.
- Amazon orders can be placed from your phone or computer, making ordering a breeze if you’re out and about
- Most items can be delivered seven days a week
- Delivery information is clearly listed beneath each product, allowing you to see at a glance if the item you need will make it to your home when you need it
- You can save money with Subscribe & Save, a subscription service that takes 40% off your first order and 5% off subsequent orders
Amazon’s options are seemingly endless, making finding your doggo’s food easy. Prices are hard to beat, too, especially with the Subscribe & Save option. Same-day service is also available for some, and shipping may be free if you’re a Prime member.
Like all delivery services, coverage can be a challenge. While most can access same-day or next-day delivery, if you live in an especially rural area, you may not. Shipping costs can be a concern if you’re not a Prime member.
About: Chewy makes shopping for your dog’s dinner easier with a multitude of brands to choose from, including allergy-friendly and veterinary-diet options. Their online pet pharmacy is also available for refilling your pup’s prescriptions without leaving the house.
- Most orders are received within one to two days of shipment
- Orders over $49 ship for free, while those below ship for a flat fee of $4.95
- Save money for treats and other fun things with Chewy’s auto-ship option, which lets you set up ongoing deliveries for a 5-10% discount
Chewy is convenient, and they always have pet-care pros on hand to help with any questions you may have. The dog food selection is hard to beat, and their return policy is legendary, too, if you run into any food snafus with your pooch.
Not all customers can access the one to two-day delivery window, unfortunately. While pricing is typically less than other distributors, some customers have had issues applying discounts in the past, though reaching out to customer service with any complaints seems to rectify them quickly.
Feeding Your Dog in a Pinch: Emergency Rations
If you’re in a real bind, there are things you can feed your pet if you run out of food.
While these aren’t ideal for long-term nutrition, feeding your pup a homemade recipe can keep his tummy full and his tail wagging before you get to the store.
Basically, you’re looking for a pup-friendly protein to combine with a dog-safe carbohydrate.
The easiest recipes include:
- Boiled chicken and rice: An age-old recipe for settling upset tummies, this belly-filling dish combines 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts boiled to 165°F and 1 cup of prepared rice. Just shred the chicken, add to the cooked rice, and portion out a meal for your dog.
- Boiled beef and rice: Another tummy soother, all you have to do is boil half of a pound of hamburger meat in four cups of water with a half cup of rice. Boil until the beef reaches 160°F and strain off the excess water to serve.
Your dog’s favorite aspect of a homemade meal will, of course, be the protein. Whichever dog-friendly meat protein you choose, you’ll want to cook all raw meat thoroughly to avoid tummy upset. The best cooking options are to boil or bake bone-free products without heavy-handed oils and salts that can sicken your dog.
Pooch-safe protein options include:
- Salmon (just make sure it is completely cooked)
Carbs are the second half of the equation and bulk up your pup’s meal to leave them satisfied. There are a number of dog-friendly grains you can include, with rice often being the most popular. For grain-free options, look for hearty root vegetables. You may add a small amount of vegetable or olive oil for flavoring but use sparingly.
Some delicious doggo-friendly carbs are:
- Rice (brown is best, but white rice is okay)
- Pasta (whole-wheat is preferable)
- Potatoes (boiled or baked)
- Sweet potatoes (boiled or baked)
Other Dog-Safe Options
You can spice up your dog’s homemade meal with other things in the kitchen like fruits and veggies as well. While there are plenty of toxic ingredients to avoid, there are just as many tasty ones to try out, like:
- Green beans
- Apples (with seeds and cores removed)
- Watermelon (remove the seeds and rind)
- Spinach (in moderation)
- Broccoli (may make some pups gassy)
Have you tried any of these same-day food delivery services? How about any we missed? Let us know in the comments below!