Over the last few years, fresh dog food has become more and more mainstream. Because of this, new fresh dog food companies are popping up every day, making it difficult to choose between them.
To help you on your quest to feed your pooch fresh, healthy food, we reviewed Nom Nom’s dog food subscription service.
Below, we’ll explain what I thought about it, what my dog thought about it, and some of the most important info you’ll need to know to make the best choice for your pupper.
Nom Nom Dog Food: Quick Facts
- Nom Nom is a fresh dog food manufacturer, who ships fresh dog food directly to your home. You can order meals as you go or sign up for a recurring subscription.
- You can select between several Nom Nom recipes, and Nom Nom will customize them for you based on your dog’s nutritional needs and any health problems he has.
- Like most other fresh dog foods, Nom Nom meals are pretty pricey, but many owners are happy to pay a premium price for such a high-quality food.
Significant Benefits of Nom Nom
Nom Nom is very similar to other fresh dog food brands. They deliver pre-portioned packs of fresh dog food to your door at regular intervals.
This food is carefully designed to fit your specific dog’s needs using the information you fill out when signing up.
Our favorite benefits include:
- Formulated for your pet. When you make an account on Nom Nom’s website, you answer a series of questions about your pooch, including his breed, age, and activity level. Then, Nom Nom uses this information to create a specialized plan for your pooch. You receive pre-portioned bags according to your answers to these questions.
- Created by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Unlike many dog foods, Nom Nom’s recipes are created by a board-certified veterinary nutritionist. Because of this, you can rest assured that their food meets all your pet’s nutritional needs.
- Restaurant quality ingredients. Not only does Nom Nom use human-grade ingredients, but all the ingredients in their food are also restaurant-grade. This means all the proteins and vegetables in their formulas are classified as USDA Grade A.
- US-Grown Ingredients. All of the ingredients in Nom Nom’s foods are grown by trusted U.S. farmers.
- Sustainably sourced. We particularly loved that their foods are sustainably sourced and that they strive to ensure zero food waste in their facilities.
- Gently cooked. They cook their recipes very meticulously without high-temperature vats and extrusions. They follow the FDA recommended temperatures and make all their food in small batches. In the end, this ensures that the food is as tasty, nutritious, and balanced as possible.
How Nom Nom Works
To get started with Nom Nom, you’ll need to create a profile. While creating this profile, you’ll fill out a bunch of information about your pooch.
Nom Nom Profile Creation
First, you’ll be asked whether you have a dog or a cat (yes, they make cat food too). You start by entering the information for one of your pets, though you can add more later if you live in a multi-pet household.
They start with basic questions, such as your dog’s name, sex, and breed. Then, they ask questions necessary to personalize your pet’s dog food. This includes your four-footer’s current weight.
They have the overall ideal weight for each breed and sex in their database already. Using this information alongside your dog’s current weight, they can specifically portion your pet’s food and caloric intake.
Just to double-check your dog’s weight, Nom Nom also asks questions about your dog’s body condition. Each option is carefully explained, making it pretty easy to pick the correct one for your canine.
Nom Nom also asks if your dog has any particular allergies or health conditions.
My pooch is an extremely picky eater and has a minor intolerance to chicken. Based on these recommendations, they suggested the Beef Mash or Pork Potluck recipes for my husky.
No matter what they recommend, though, you can choose whatever formula you want. They also have an array of other products (which they, of course, offer you during your checkout process). We tried some of their treats on top of two weeks of full portions of the Beef Mash formula.
Finally, you enter your information, including your shipping address and billing information.
Nom Nom’s Recipes for Dogs: Beef Mash, Chicken Cuisine, Pork Potluck, Turkey Fare
Nom Nom offers four basic recipes for dogs:
- Beef Mash
- Chicken Cuisine
- Pork Potluck
- Turkey Fare
All information about Nom Nom’s recipes are available on their website. You can view each recipe’s ingredients and nutritional information without creating a profile.
But, to make things easier on you, here are the ingredients for their Beef Mash recipe:
The vast majority of their recipes include meat, some produce, and some added vitamins and minerals. All of them are nutritionally-complete and designed for all life stages.
The recipe you choose is mostly a matter of your personal preference. Of course, if your dog is allergic to something, you should choose a recipe that doesn’t include that ingredient.
How Much Does Nom Nom Cost?
There’s no sugar-coating it: Nom Nom is significantly more expensive than your standard kibble.
But the ultimate cost depends mostly on how large your dog is and how much food they need to eat. All pricing is personalized, so you’ll need to create a profile to find out exactly how much it’ll cost for your dog.
For my 60-pound Husky, it was over $60 a week. But Nom Nom reports owners spend around $35 a week on average.
This is not an inexpensive dog food.
Pros and Cons of Nom Nom
Here are some points you should consider when you’re thinking about making the switch to Nom Nom:
My Experience with Nom Nom
I received two weeks of Nom Nom to try, along with some treats. However, we only ended up using it for about a week. Here are a few things I discovered:
What We Loved:
- Atlas acted like it was the best thing he ever smelled. When we first received the package, my husband and I cracked it open in the kitchen. Atlas, who had been sleeping in the living room, somehow smelled the food through the plastic packaging and came to investigate. We had to move the box to the counter to keep him away from the dry ice.
- It comes with dry ice! This was by far my daughter’s favorite part of the whole experience (and probably my husband’s too). They send the food in a box with dry ice to keep it fresh. My husband and daughter spent a good hour watching it steam in a bucket of water outside. (Of course, pay attention to the warnings on the box about dry ice!).
- It’s personalized. Atlas is a bit fat – I’m not gonna lie. I liked that Nom Nom formulated his portions to help him lose weight. This took a lot of weight (and math) off of my shoulders.
A photo of Atlas, for your viewing pleasure:
However, we didn’t end up sticking with Nom Nom for one major reason – Atlas grew tired of it.
He loved it for the first few days and repeatedly asked for more. But then he slowly started eating less and less.
By the end of the first week, he had stopped eating it altogether. After a day of him barely touching his food, I offered some of his old food, and he ate it right up.
He is a rather picky dog, so I wasn’t particularly surprised. However, I had heard many good things about fresh dog food and picky dogs. I was a bit disappointed that he didn’t love this new dog food.
This is a sponsored placement, in which an advertiser pays a fee to be featured in this article. Learn more
Ready to Take the Nom Nom Plunge?
Just click on the link below to learn more about Nom Nom and schedule your first food delivery!
Nom Nom Food Review: Bottom Line
Will I continue Nom Nom? Not right now.
Maybe I should have tried harder to make my husky enjoy the food by adding tasty toppers. However, it was already quite expensive. For the price, I didn’t want to have to add other ingredients to the food just to make my dog eat it.
You may find that Nom Nom is the perfect pick for your pooch, but at this time, I don’t plan on continuing my subscription.
Nom Nom Pro Tip: Consider Half Portions
If you’d like to try Nom Nom, but the price is holding you back, consider ordering half portions and using them as toppers.
You’ll save a little more than 40% by doing so, yet your dog will still enjoy the benefits (and delicious taste) of fresh food. This may be an especially good idea for dogs who’re picky eaters. Simply add about half as much kibble as you normally would to your pooch’s bowl and top it with a half portion of Nom Nom.
For bonus points, heat up the Nom Nom topper in the microwave (just be sure it isn’t too hot for your canine).
Who Should Buy Nom Nom?
Nom Nom is a great fresh food for nearly any dog. However, it may be particularly suitable for:
- Those with health problems. There is a chance that Nom Nom may help with specific health problems, including food allergies. If your canine seems to be allergic to many of the ingredients in traditional dog food, Nom Nom’s simple ingredient list may be helpful.
- Those who spend lots of time at home. This stuff isn’t very portable, so it isn’t the right choice for those who travel. However, if you’re at home most of the time, you probably won’t notice this problem.
- Picky eaters. Many people swear on fresh dog food for picky eaters. Of course, my picky eater wouldn’t eat it after the novelty wore off. It isn’t going to work for all dogs. Still, I’m pretty confident that this food stands more of a chance with your picky eater than your average kibble.
- Those who hate shopping. I’ll admit it – one of the biggest reasons I was interested in this subscription service is because I despise shopping. Getting my dog’s food delivered to my door just made way more sense. If you’re like me, not dragging a 30-pound bag of dog food through the store is a huge plus.
Should You Try Nom Nom?
If the price doesn’t scare you away, Nom Nom is a great option to try. While my dog didn’t love it after the first few days, there is still a good chance your dog will!
Many other reviews rave about their sick dog making a complete 180 after trying a fresh dog food, so you may want to consider investigating further in hopes of helping your pet feel better.
Nom Nom regularly offers discounts on your first order. You can likely try it for far cheaper than the usual price.
Have you ordered Nom Nom for your dog? How did it go? Did you pooch slurp it up in super-fast fashion? Did it help address his food allergies? Did he prefer one recipe to the others?
Let us know in the comments below!