Are you on the road for the holidays?
Take a look at this great travel infographic put together by Orvis! These supplies are must-have essentials for any long trip in the car with your pooch.
To grandmother’s house we go! Is your dog prepped with the right gear for his trip? Make sure not to forget:
- Essentials. Leashes, medications, and food and water bowls are regular items your dog needs that you certainly don’t want to leave behind! If you’ll be on the road for a while, you may want to consider a that is specifically designed for travel, or a portable dog water bottle for quick, easy drinking. For hot weather driving, also make sure to check out our guide on how to keep your dog cool in the car!
- Health Certificate. Good to have on hand in case of an emergency. A health certificate can be issued by your vet before traveling.
- Canine Restraint System. There are several tools on the market designed for safer dog car travel, from doggy seat belts and booster seats to dog car crates. Some systems can actually protect your pup in the event of a car accident, while others are only suitable to stop your dog from distracting you on the road. Certain dog-oritened cars have separated rear holds in the cargo area to keep your dog safe and sectioned-off.
- Rear Seat Protection. Having a dog in the back of your car for a 6 hour road trip can be…furry, to say the least. Especially if your dog is a shedder! Getting some seat protection is important if you don’t want to spend your holidays vacuuming up dog hair!
- Clean Up Supplies. Trash bags, paper towels, and disinfecting wipes are all around good things to have in your car on a canine road trip.
- Bed, Blanket, and Toys. Having a comfy bed, doggie blanket, and favorite toys is also important for once you arrive at your destination. You may also want to consider a portable, soft-sided dog crate to bring to your final destination so that your dog has a private hangout spot to function as a home away from home.
What are your must-have supplied before a dog road trip? Share your advice in the comments!