Best Holistic Dog Food For Dogs: Quick Picks
- Earthborn Holistic Venture Rabbit Meal & Pumpkin [Best Overall] Healthy grain-free recipe that’s made in the USA and uses ethically-sourced rabbit. Contains no GMOs and no gluten, chicken, peas, lentils, and no fillers, by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- Holistic Select Natural [Best For Digestion Issues]! Grain-inclusive holistic recipe with a single animal protein source (lamb). Contains unique digestion aids including active probiotics and digestive enzymes.
- Halo Holistic Beef Stew [Best Wet Food]. Heaty beef-based USA-made wet food that contains no soy, wheat, corn, hormones, chicken, antibiotics, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
For the most part, we like to watch what we put into our mouths. We do this because we want to stay healthy. So, it would make sense that we would want to watch what we feed our dogs as well, right?
With this concept in mind, we’d like to take some time to discuss holistic dog food.
What is Holistic Dog Food?
Think back to the days of grade school health class. Remember when your health teacher taught you about the food pyramid and the importance of maintaining a healthy balanced diet?
Well, holistic dog food is specifically designed to make sure your dog receives a proper, balanced diet. This special blend of food not only provides nutrition, but also supports overall well-being. Holistic dog food is food designed to work naturally with a dog’s body and internal system.
Holistic dog food brands use high-quality ingredients, rather than fillers or by-products. With holistic dog food, ingredients are chosen purposely to serve a specific function. For example, an ingredient may be chosen because your dog has a hard time digesting his or her food.
These holistic dog food brands add nutrition while avoiding unnecessary chemicals and additives common in other dog foods.
The result? Many owners report that holistic dog food, while more expensive, boasts numerous canine benefits, including more energy, shinier coats, and better overall health.
However, to say that holistic dog food is good for all dogs is inaccurate. Some dogs might need holistic food because they may have problems with digestion, allergies, or certain health conditions. Dogs get sick just like we do. If you think your dog may benefit from a holistic dog food diet, then read on to learn about some different brands.
It would also be a good idea to ask your vet about the food and do some additional research of your own.
Also, give it time! At first, it may seem like the food is going right through your dog, do not panic. It takes a bit for their bodies to adjust to the new diet. Give it a little time before you decide to switch; about three weeks.
Best Holistic Dog Food Brands
We’ve found the brands below to be the best holistic dog foods, determined through research and consumer reviews. Try these holistic dog foods for your canine!
1. Holistic Select Natural Dry Dog Food
Healthy, digestion-focused recipe
Grain-inclusive, single animal protein formula that includes protease to help break down proteins, cellulose, and alpha-amylase to aid in breaking down starches.
This recipe is grain-inclusive, relying on oatmeal, rice, and oats as the core carbohydrates. It also contains pumpkin and papaya for additional fiber to aid in digestion.
This food claims to “supports the absorption and utilization of vital nutrients throughout your dog’s entire body” to keep your dog looking and feeling tip-top.
This holistic dog food features Omega 3 fatty acids to support healthy skin and coat, as well as quality single protein source to help build and maintain lean muscle mass.
This holistic dog food is available in several varieties, including:
- Small and Mini Breed Puppy Recipe
- Small and Mini Breed Recipe
- Grain Free Anchovy and Salmon Recipe
- Grain Free Turkey Recipe
- Weight Management Recipe
- And many more!
This holistic dog food contains no meat by-products, wheat, corn, soy or artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
High prices for bigger bags
- Dogs with digestive problems
- Dogs who have problems with their coats
- Dogs with food allergies
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and breeds/mixed breeds
Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Peas, Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)...,
Oats, Dried Molasses Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Apples, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Papayas, Taurine, Blueberries, Pomegranates, Vitamin E Supplement, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate , Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ground Cinnamon, Ground Fennel, Ground Peppermint, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus thermophilus Fermentation Product, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.
2. Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Dog Food
Ultra high protein recipe with a variety of animal sources
This grain and gluten-free dog food features turkey meal, chicken meal and whitefish meal as the primary proteins, along with omega fatty acids and L-carnitine to support lean muscle growth.
- High-Protein Diet. Turkey meal, chicken meal and whitefish meal provide high protein diet, clocking in at 42% protein (which is nearly unheard of)
- Grain and Gluten-Free. This holistic dog food is formulated without grain or gluten.
- Antioxidant Boost. Offers a hearty dose of antioxidants through peas, blueberries, cranberries, apples, carrots, and spinach.
- Includes Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Omega fatty acids are essential for protecting your dog’s skin and maintaining a healthy coat.
- Sizes. Comes in 5 lb / 14 lb / 28 lb bag.
This holistic dog food comes with a built in zipper keeps everything fresh and for easier food storage. There is also a bonus code on the back of the bag; when you enter it into the website a tree is planted.
Owners rave about this dog food, with stories of dogs gaining healthier, shinier coats and better stomach processing.
This brand of holistic dog food is pretty pricey. Some owners also report cases of gas in their canines.
- Dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Dogs with coat problems
- Dogs with joint problems
- Getting clean teeth
- Maintaining weight
- Dogs with GI issues
- Works best with smaller dogs
Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Dried Egg, Pea Starch...,
Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Whitefish Meal, Flaxeed, Natural Flavors, Pea Fiber, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Carrots, Spinach, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Aid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.
3. Earthborn Holistic Venture Rabbit & Pumpkin
Grain-free, limited-ingredient holistic dog food
USA-made rabbit-based food with no GMOs and no gluten, chicken, peas, lentils, and no fillers, by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- Limited Ingredient Diet for Better Digestion. This holistic dog food is a limited-ingredient diet (LID), avoiding ingredients that commonly cause digestive issues. That’s why this recipe is
- Rabbit-Based Recipe That’s Ethically Sourced. The rabbit meal in this recipe is sourced from rabbits born and raised in Brittany regions of France by responsible, multi-generational rabbit farmers who follow strict European regulations that ensure the rabbits are fed 100% vegetable diets and receive proper shelter. Rabbit is also high in selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B12 and vitamin B3.
- No Gluten, Chicken, or GMOs. This brand of holistic dog food contains no grain, gluten, peas, lentils, legumes, chicken, egg, potatoes, colors, fillers, by-products, artificial preservatives or GMO ingredients.
- Includes Taurine. Contains methionine and taurine to support a healthy heart. Despite being a grain-free recipe, this kibble contains no peas, lentils, legumes (which are suspected as potentially contributing to DCM in dogs in an FDA report)
- Responsible Packaging. Food is packaged in a resealable plant bag that’s made from up to 40% plant-based plastics.
- Made in the USA. This dog food is made in the United States.
Many owners are very impressed by the quality of this holistic dog good, and appreciate the lack of potentially problem-causing ingredients like peas, lentils, chicken, and GMOs.
Again, this dog food is by no means cheap. Not all owners may be able to afford this food.
- Dogs with coat problems
- Dogs with food allergies
- Dandruff prone dogs
- Good for weight management
- Good for getting rid of “hot spots”
- Good for digestive problems
Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supple-ment, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.
4. Halo Holistic Beef Stew (Canned)
Beef-based wet food that’s chicken and GMO-free
Holistic wet food that contains no soy, wheat, corn, hormones, antibiotics, chicken, and no artificial additives, flavors, or preservatives.
- High-quality proteins. Beef, beef broth, and beef liver are the first three ingredients. Includes real, whole-meat protein with no meat-meals or by-products.
- Made in the USA. Made in the USA and packed in BPA-free cans for safety.
- No Un-Necessary Additives or Unwanted Ingredients. No soy, wheat, corn, hormones, chicken, antibiotics, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- Available in Different Flavors. This wet holistic dog food is available in several flavors and protein variations, ensuring the perfect composition for your canine.
Owners adore this wet holistic dog food, and say that their dogs love the taste!
These packets aren’t too cheap.
Beef, Beef Broth, Beef Liver, Carrots, Pumpkin...,
Rolled Oats, Celery, Peas, Mustard Greens, Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Natural Flavor, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Xanthan Gum, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Dried Kelp.
- Picky eaters
- Dogs who prefer wet food over dry
Finding the Best Holistic Dog Food For Your Dog
That concludes our top picks for holistic dog foods. Don’t forget that you may need to try several different brands of dog food before finding the perfect fit for your dog.
All dogs react differently to different formulas of dog food, so don’t despair if one brand doesn’t work for your canine.
If your dog has a specific allergy, you may also want to consider seeking out dog food brands that avoid your dog’s specific allergen, along with hypoallergenic dog treats. For example, dogs who don’t process beef or chicken well might prefer a venison dog food.
Do you have any experiences with holistic dog foods or recommendations you’d like to share? Tell us your favorite holistic dog food brand in the comments below!