The smaller the dog, the bigger the personality—so be sure you select a name for your pint-sized pooch that can do his massive character justice.
If you’re the proud owner of a canine that’s small but mighty, then there’s no doubt that his size can hardly contain his personality. Here are some ideas if you want to highlight the height of that miniature but marvelous dog that you know and love.
Small Dog Names
Here are some of our favorite ideas for small dog names!
- Stuart Little
- Tinker Bell
Many of these short names also serve as great one-syllable dog names, making them super easy and convenient to use as you call to your dog!
Words for Small in Other Languages
- Bach (Welsh)
- Klein (German)
- Lille (Danish)
- Litlu (Icelandic)
- Petit (France)
- Piccolo (Italian)
- Stutt (Icelandic)
Big People and Characters for Small Dog Names
- Charlie Chaplin: An iconic silent film star, known for his masterful physical comedy and screen presence. Dolly Parton: Standing just five feet tall, she is one of the music industry’s most successful country artists.
- Danny DeVito: Less than 5 feet tall, he has starred in popular films such as Matilda and Get Shorty.
- Frodo Baggins: The main character of The Lord of the Rings, played by Elijah Wood in the popular film series.
- Napoleon Bonaparte: The famed French emperor, after whom the Napoleon Complex is named.
- Tom Thumb: Just over three feet, tall, he was a star of P.T. Barnum’s circus.
Looking for more dog name ideas? See our articles on:
March 9, 2020
I had an apricot teacup poodle (such a sweetie). He was so small he almost wasn’t there. So I called him Zero. He was the only animal I ever had that his name came to me immediately.
May 7, 2018
Thanks Meg! Enjoyed this list! It seems we picked a good name for our little Terrier/Maltese mix.
Her name is Daisy!