The Yorkshire terrier is known for many things, especially her playful personality!
But in order to keep your perky pooch feeling her best, it’s important to provide her with a high quality dog food, catered to her individual needs. To help, we’ve compiled some of the best food options available for Yorkies to support your fun-sized furry friend.
Below, we’ll explain what makes a good dog food for these one-of-a-kind pups, and share a couple of our favorite food options for your best buddy.
Best Dog Foods For Yorkies : Quick Picks
- #1 Nom Nom [Best Overall Food For Yorkies]: A fresh, human-grade option that’s custom-crafted for your specific doggo. Get 50% off your first order!
- #2 Diamond Naturals [Most Affordable Food For Yorkies]: A tasty, nutritious, and budget-friendly option for keeping your Yorkie well fed.
- #3 Merrick Lil Plates [Best Wet Food For Yorkies]: A delicious wet food that will work as a complete meal or a tempting kibble topper.
General Dog Food Considerations: What Makes A Good Dog Food?
When it comes to picking out a high quality dog food for any furry friend, there are a couple of key considerations to take into account. You’ll want to make sure that any potential meal for your pooch checks the following boxes:
- You’ll want to pick a new food with the guidance of your veterinarian.
- Your food of choice should address your dog’s unique health concerns.
- The food needs to meet AAFCO guidelines for your dog’s life stage.
You’ll want to consider these criteria mandatory, but there are some additional things to think about when picking a food for your Yorkie. Specifically, you’ll want to look for food that:
- Are made by a brand who has a dog nutritionist on staff.
- Dog food made in the USA or a Western country.
- Feature a whole protein at the top of the ingredients list.
- Contains things like antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies, and nutritious whole grains.
The 7 Best Dog Foods for Yorkies
Without further ado, here are 7 of the best dog foods for your tiny terrier. Just remember to run keep your vet in the loop and discuss any potential food changes with him or her.
1. Nom Nom
Premium, human-grade dog food that’s customized for your specific pet.
About: Your Yorkie is sure to reward you with plenty of puppy kisses if you hook her up with this high quality fresh food from Nom Nom. Made in the USA with ultra premium ingredients, this food has all of the hallmarks of quality pet parents could want.
- All Nom Nom foods are made in the USA from only US-sourced ingredients
- The food is gently cooked and processed to preserve nutrients
- Fresh food is shipped frozen to your doorstep and pre-portioned for you furry friend
- Each Nom Nom meal is customized for your specific dog
- Grain-inclusive recipes will help provide the lasting energy your dog needs
- Option to get 50% off your first Nom Nom order!
Ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach...,
dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, potassium chloride, salt, water sufficient for processing, fish oil, choline bitartrate, natural flavor, vinegar, iron amino acid chelate, taurine, zinc gluconate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese gluconate, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement.
- Most dogs love the taste of Nom Nom’s meals
- These foods are customized for your specific four-footer
- Some pet parents reported coat and skin improvements
- The use of U.S.-sourced ingredients provides peace of mind
- Fresh foods take up freezer space
- Serving fresh dinners is a little more time-consuming than traditional kibbles
- All fresh dog foods — including Nom Nom — are expensive
2. Wellness Toy Breed
Wellness Toy Breed
A premium kibble that’s specifically formulated for Yorkies and other toy breeds.
About: This premium kibble from Wellness is designed specifically for toy breeds with its small kibble size and antioxidant-rich recipe. Made in the USA with high-quality ingredients, this small breed kibble also provides your dog with omega-3s to keep her coat soft, silky, and looking its best.
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Made whole grains but no corn, wheat, or soy
- Small size kibble is perfect for little mouths
- Great source of antioxidants and omega 3s
- Fortified with probiotics to promote proper digestion
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Rice...,
Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Peas, Oats, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product.
- The kibble’s ultra small size makes it easy for Yorkies to eat
- We love the inclusion of probiotics in this recipe
- Owners were impressed by the quality of this food given its affordable price
- Not all dogs loved the taste
- Multi-protein kibbles aren’t ideal for dogs with food allergies
3. Merrick Lil’ Plates
Merrick Lil’ Plates
Tasty, pre-portioned wet foods that are designed for Yorkies and other small breeds.
About: If your Yorkie isn’t a big fan of dry food, it’s worth considering this nutritious wet food from Merrick. These grain-free pooch plates are made in the USA with whole duck and chicken, giving your furry friend a satisfying, tasty meal.
- Grain- and gluten-free food
- Includes fiber-rich vegetables and omega 3s
- Features whole chicken and duck
- These foods are made in the USA
- Small individually portioned wet food packets
Deboned Duck, Duck Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Deboned Chicken...,
Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Xanthan Gum.
- Most dogs loved the taste of these wet foods
- The pre-portioned containers were perfect for most pint-size pooches
- The soft wet food can also be used as a topper
- This food is grain free, which may present DCM concerns
- Multi-protein foods aren’t a great choice for dogs with food allergies
4. Diamond Naturals
An affordable small breed dog food that won’t break the bank.
About: Diamond Naturals offers an affordable lamb-based kibble as a budget friendly pick for Yorkie owners. This food isn’t the most appealing option on the list, but it’s still a fairly good food with whole meat and plenty of omega 3s.
- Small-sized kibbles are perfect for compact Yorkies
- Recipe includes probiotics to support digestion
- Lamb is a novel protein source that can be beneficial for dogs with allergies
- Made in the USA by a family-owned company
- Good source of omega 3s to promote a healthy coat
Lamb, lamb meal, ground white rice, cracked pearled barley, peas...,
chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried yeast, pea flour, dried beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, L-Carnitine, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
- The kibble size seems nearly ideal for Yorkies
- This food is full of fiber and probiotics to help assist with digestion
- Owners were impressed by the quality of this food for the price.
- A couple of dogs had tummy troubles after consuming this food
- Some owners found the smell of this food particularly strong
5. Blue Buffalo
US-made puppy kibble packed with protein, whole grains, and probiotics.
About: This puppy food from Blue Buffalo is easily one of the best options on the market for feeding your Yorkie youngin’. Made in the USA and optimized for healthy muscle growth, this food features tiny kibble pieces that are easy for your pint-sized puppy to eat.
- Small-sized kibble makes it a perfect dog food for small breed puppies
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Whole meat is the first ingredient
- Recipe includes satisfying whole grains like brown rice
- Features antioxidant- and vitamin-rich “LifeSource Bits”
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal...,
(source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Peas, Dried Egg Product, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Pea Protein, Fish Oil (source of ARA-Arachidonic Acid and DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Choline Chloride, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- The small-sized kibble is perfect for toy breeds like Yorkies
- Most dogs enjoyed the taste of this food
- We love the inclusion of probiotics and plenty of fiber to support proper digestion
- Some dogs experienced loose stools after eating this food
- Some dogs appear to pick around the LifeSource Bits
6. Blue Buffalo Senior
Blue Buffalo Senior
A US-made food designed specifically for older small-breed dogs.
About: Blue Buffalo makes another appearance in our top-seven picks with their Small Breed Senior recipe. Specifically crafted for small, older doggos like your aging Yorkie, this food contains premium proteins as well as antioxidant-rich “LifeSource Bits” to keep your golden oldie in her best form.
- Contains antioxidant-rich “LifeSource Bits”
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Fortified with probiotics to ensure proper digestion
- Whole grain recipe offers sustainable energy
- Designed specially for small-breed senior dogs
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal...,
Peas, Pea Starch, Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed (Source of Omega 3 And 6 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Fish Oil (Source of Dha-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Dl-Methionine, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Garlic, L-Carnitine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice For Color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Copper Sulfate, L-Lysine, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- This food is specifically designed for older small breed dogs (like Yorkies)
- Most furry friends liked the taste of this kibble — even picky eaters
- We always like seeing probiotics on an ingredient list
- Some dogs may eat around the “LifeSource Bits”
- A small number of dogs experienced digestive issues after making the switch
7. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient | Best Food For Yorkies With Food Allergies
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient
A limited-ingredient dog food that’s great for Yorkies with food allergies.
About: This limited ingredient dog food by Natural Balance is formulated with a relatively short list of ingredients to help owners avoid triggering their pet’s food allergies. It’s also made without grains, which can be helpful for those rare puppers with grain intolerances.
- Grain-free, limited ingredient dog food
- Great source of omega-3s
- Small breed sized kibble
- Recipe made with fiber-rich sweet potatoes
- Suitable for all life stages
Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)...,
Chicken, Dicalcium Phosphate Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Flaxseed, Salt, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Taurine, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
- This food appears gentle on dogs with a history of tummy troubles
- Dogs seemed to love this nutritious kibble
- Some owners noted a difference in their pet’s coat after switching to this food
- Some owners didn’t like the smell of this kibble
- While this is a limited ingredient food, it does contain chicken which is a common allergen amongst dogs
Specific Considerations for Feeding a Yorkie
While all dogs have broadly similar nutritional requirements, there are a few specific things you’ll want to consider when picking out a food for your Yorkshire terrier.
- Bigger isn’t better. Yorkies are small dogs, with small mouths. You’ll want to find a small kibble (or a fresh or wet food) to accommodate their size.
- Seek out calorie-dense dog foods with whole grains. Whole grains can offer more consistent energy levels to help your pooch feel his best. Calorie-rich foods may also be important and help prevent hypoglycemia for Yorkies, since small dogs burn calories quickly.
- Opt for moderate protein levels. While these small dogs can be surprisingly sporty, they don’t need super high protein levels to fuel their fun.
- Some Yorkies can have sensitive stomachs. Unfortunately, Yorkshire terriers can have somewhat sensitive stomachs, so it’s a good idea to seek out dog foods full of probiotics and fiber (you can also add standalone dog probiotic supplements to your pup’s food if need be).
- Omega 3s will help maintain that lustrous coat. Foods with omega 3s can help keep up the shine and softness of your best buddy’s coat.
There’s no doubt that our Yorkies deserve the absolute best. Hopefully, one of these high-quality dog foods will help fuel your furry friend for years to come.
Has your Yorkshire terrier tried any of these foods? What’s your favorite thing about being a Yorkie owner? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!