The Yorkshire terrier is known for many things, especially her playful personality!
But in order to keep your perky pooch feeling her best, it’s important to provide her with high-quality dog food catered to her individual needs. To help, we’ve compiled some of the best food options for Yorkies to support your fun-sized furry friend.
Below, we’ll explain what makes good grub for these one-of-a-kind pups and share our picks for the best dog food for Yorkies.
General Dog Food Considerations: What Makes A Good Dog Food?
When it comes to picking out high-quality dog food for any furry friend, there are a couple of key considerations to take into account. You’ll want to make sure that any potential meal for your Yorkshire terrier checks the following boxes:
- You’ll want to pick a new food with the guidance of your veterinarian.
- Your food of choice should address your dog’s unique health concerns.
- The food needs to meet AAFCO guidelines for your dog’s life stage.
You’ll want to consider these criteria mandatory, but there are some additional things to think about when picking food for your Yorkie. Specifically, you’ll want to look for food that:
- Are made by a brand that has a dog nutritionist on staff to ensure balanced nutrition.
- Dog food made in the USA or a Western country.
- Feature a whole protein at the top of the ingredients list.
- Contains things like antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies and nutritious whole grains.
The 13 Best Dog Food for Yorkies Picks
Without further ado, here are 13 of the best dog foods for Yorkshire terriers. Just remember to keep your vet in the loop and discuss any potential food changes with him or her, especially if your Yorkshire terrier has a sensitive stomach or a health condition.
1. Nom Nom
About: Your Yorkshire terrier is sure to reward you with plenty of puppy kisses if you hook her up with this high-quality fresh food from Nom Nom. Made in the USA with wholesome ingredients, this food has all of the hallmarks of quality pet parents could want, including a lack of artificial flavors, protein for building lean muscles, and fats for shiny coats.
- All Nom Nom foods are made in the USA from only US-sourced ingredients
- The food is gently cooked and processed to preserve essential nutrients
- Fresh food is shipped frozen to your doorstep and pre-portioned for your furry friend
- Each Nom Nom meal is customized for your specific dog to ensure healthy, balanced nutrition
- Grain-inclusive recipes will help provide the lasting energy your dog needs
- Option to get 50% off your first Nom Nom order!
Ground turkey, brown rice, eggs, carrots, spinach...,
dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, citric acid, potassium chloride, salt, water sufficient for processing, fish oil, choline bitartrate, natural flavor, vinegar, iron amino acid chelate, taurine, zinc gluconate, vitamin E supplement, copper gluconate, niacin (vitamin B3), manganese gluconate, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), selenium yeast, riboflavin (vitamin B2), cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), potassium iodide, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement.
- Most dogs love the taste of Nom Nom’s meals
- These foods are customized for your specific four-footer
- Some pet parents reported coat and skin improvements
- The use of U.S.-sourced ingredients provides peace of mind
- Fresh foods take up freezer space
- Serving fresh dinners is a little more time-consuming than traditional kibbles
- All fresh dog foods — including Nom Nom — are expensive
About: Just answer a quick questionnaire detailing your pup’s age, activity levels, physique, and more, and have fresh food customized to your Yorkshire terrier’s dietary needs delivered right to your door with Ollie. A subscription is required, but you can adjust it as needed to best suit your dog’s diet and budget.
- Veterinarians formulate all Ollie recipes
- Available in beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, and pork-based recipes
- Real meat is always the first ingredient
- Made in the USA in USDA kitchens with human-grade ingredients
Chicken, carrots, peas, rice, chicken liver,...,
potatoes, spinach, dicalcium phosphate, whole dried eggs, fish oil, blueberries, chia seeds, calcium carbonate, iodized salt, cod liver oil, zinc gluconate, rosemary, copper gluconate, choline bitartrate, vitamin E supplement, manganese gluconate, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- Customized to your Yorkie’s unique dietary needs, ensuring he maintains a healthy weight
- Taste is a win, making it a good match for finicky Fidos
- Ground-up texture works great for terrier’s with missing or weak teeth
- Unfortunately, such premium food comes at a higher price point
- Fresh nature requires refrigeration
3. Wellness Toy Breed
About: This premium kibble from Wellness is designed specifically for toy breeds with its small kibble size and antioxidant-rich recipe. Made in the USA with high-quality ingredients, this small breed kibble also provides your dog with omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and to keep her coat soft, silky, and looking its best, plus aid in eye health.
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Made whole grains but no corn, wheat, or soy
- Kibble size is perfect for little mouths plus crunchy to help clean teeth and combat dental disease
- Great source of glucosamine for joint health
- Fortified with probiotics to promote proper digestion
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Rice...,
Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Peas, Oats, Tomato Pomace, Ground Flaxseed, Tomatoes, Pea Fiber, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Apples, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract. This is a naturally preserved product.
- The kibble’s ultra-small size makes it easy for Yorkshire terriers to eat
- We love the inclusion of probiotics in this recipe
- Owners were impressed by the quality of this food, given its affordable price
- Not all dogs loved the taste
- Multi-protein kibbles aren’t ideal for dogs with food allergies
4. Merrick Lil’ Plates
About: f your Yorkshire terrier isn’t a big fan of dry food or suffering from missing teeth from dental disease, it’s worth considering this nutritious wet food from Merrick. These grain-free pooch plates are made in the USA with whole duck and chicken, giving your furry friend a satisfying, tasty meal.
- Grain- and gluten-free food
- Includes fiber-rich vegetables and omega 3s
- Features whole chicken and duck
- These foods are made in the USA
- Small, individually portioned wet food packets
Deboned Duck, Duck Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Deboned Chicken...,
Dried Egg Whites, Potato Starch, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Phosphate, Salt, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Xanthan Gum.
- Most dogs loved the taste of these wet foods
- The pre-portioned containers were perfect for most pint-size pooches
- The soft wet food can also be used as a topper
- This food is grain free, which may present DCM concerns
- Multi-protein foods aren’t a great choice for dogs with food allergies
5. Diamond Naturals
About: Diamond Naturals offers an affordable lamb-based kibble as a budget-friendly food for Yorkshire terrier owners. This food isn’t the most appealing option on the list, but it’s still a fairly good food with whole meat and plenty of omega-3s.
- Small-sized kibbles are perfect for tiny Yorkshire terriers
- Recipe includes probiotics to support digestion
- Lamb is a novel protein source that can be beneficial for dogs with allergies
- Made in the USA by a family-owned company
- Good source of omega 3s to promote a healthy coat
Lamb, lamb meal, ground white rice, cracked pearled barley, peas...,
chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried yeast, pea flour, dried beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, L-Carnitine, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
- The kibble size seems nearly ideal for Yorkies
- This food is full of fiber and probiotics to help assist with digestion
- Owners were impressed by the quality of this food for the price.
- A couple of dogs had tummy troubles after consuming this food
- Some owners found the smell of this food particularly strong
6. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Puppy
US-made puppy kibble packed with protein, whole grains, and probiotics.
About: This puppy food from Blue Buffalo is easily one of the best options on the market for feeding your Yorkshire terrier youngin’. Made in the USA and optimized for healthy muscle growth, this food features tiny kibble pieces that are easy for your pint-sized Yorkshire terrier to eat.
- Small-sized kibble makes it a perfect dog food for small-breed puppies
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Whole meat is the first ingredient
- Recipe includes satisfying whole grains like brown rice
- Features antioxidant- and vitamin-rich “LifeSource Bits”
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal...,
(source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Peas, Dried Egg Product, Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed (source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Natural Flavor, Pea Protein, Fish Oil (source of ARA-Arachidonic Acid and DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Choline Chloride, Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice for color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), L-Lysine, Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Taurine, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- The small-sized kibble is perfect for toy breeds like Yorkshire terriers
- Most dogs enjoyed the taste of this food
- We love the inclusion of probiotics and plenty of fiber to support proper digestion
- Some dogs experienced loose stools after eating this food
- Some dogs appear to pick around the LifeSource Bits
7. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Small Breed Senior
A US-made food designed specifically for older small-breed dogs.
About: Blue Buffalo makes another appearance in our top picks with Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Senior featuring glucosamine for joint health and good fats for healthy skin. Specifically crafted for small, older doggos like your aging Yorkie, this food contains high-quality proteins as well as antioxidant-rich “LifeSource Bits” to keep your golden oldie in her best form.
- Contains antioxidant-rich “LifeSource Bits”
- Made in the USA with globally sourced ingredients
- Fortified with probiotics to ensure proper digestion
- Whole grain recipe offers sustainable energy
- Designed specifically for small-breed senior dogs
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal...,
Peas, Pea Starch, Natural Flavor, Pea Fiber, Flaxseed (Source of Omega 3 And 6 Fatty Acids), Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Pea Protein, Fish Oil (Source of Dha-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Alfalfa Nutrient Concentrate, Dl-Methionine, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Garlic, L-Carnitine, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Vegetable Juice For Color, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Parsley, Turmeric, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Copper Sulfate, L-Lysine, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Chondroitin Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Sodium Selenite, Oil of Rosemary.
- This food is specifically designed for older small breed dogs (like Yorkies)
- Most furry friends liked the taste of this kibble — even picky eaters
- We always like seeing probiotics on an ingredient list
- Some dogs may eat around the “LifeSource Bits”
- A small number of dogs experienced digestive issues after making the switch
8. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Small Breed
About: This limited-ingredient dog food by Natural Balance is formulated with a relatively short list of ingredients to help owners avoid triggering their pet’s food and skin allergies. Each recipe has a single source of protein and lacks artificial flavors and colors.
- Great source of omega-3s for healthy skin and coat support
- Chicken, lamb, salmon, and duck recipes available, including grain-free options
- Small breed-sized kibble perfect for petite jaws
- Made in the USA
Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Brewers Rice, Rice Bran,...,
Brewers Dried Yeast, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Salt, Taurine, Dl-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate), Choline Chloride, Citric Acid (Preservative), Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Rosemary Extract
- This food appears gentle on dogs with a history of tummy troubles
- Limited ingredient list easy to scan for your dog’s allergens
- Some owners noted a difference in their pet’s coat after switching to this food
- Pickier pups may need enticing to give this food a try
- Lacks fruits and vegetables
9. A Pup Above
About: If your Yorkie’s selective about food, try A Pup Above, a fresh food blend of human-grade materials cooked sous-vide style with bone broth, resulting in great taste and a palate-pleasing texture. All veggies are non-GMO, and the single-protein recipes suit dogs with sensitive tummies.
- Real meat is always the primary ingredient
- All recipes meet the AAFCO nutrient profile for adult dogs
- Available in turkey, chicken, beef, and pork-based recipes
- All packaging is 100 percent recyclable
- Made in the USA at a USDA human food facility
Chicken, chicken liver, sweet potatoes, chicken bone broth, rice,...,
apples, spinach, kale, turmeric, thyme, parsley, minerals [dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, magnesium oxide, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite], vitamins [Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement
- Taste is a high point with most pups
- Hard to top the quality of human-grade food
- Every recipe has nutrient-rich organ meat
- Fresh food so it requires room in your refrigerator
- Pricier than other options
10. The Honest Kitchen
About: The Honest Kitchen‘s selection of dehydrated foods is perfect for feeding picky Yorkshire terriers and those with dental issues, as it has a savory flavor and a chew-friendly texture. Feeding it is easy: scoop your pup’s portion into her bowl, add warm water, wait as it rehydrates, and serve.
- Available in grain-free and grain-inclusive options, with high-quality proteins like turkey, chicken, beef, and fish
- Meets the AAFCO nutrient profile for adult maintenance
- Each 10-pound box makes about 40 pounds of food
- Made in the USA using human-grade ingredients
Dehydrated turkey, organic oats, dehydrated potatoes, flaxseed, dehydrated carrots,...,
dehydrated cabbage, dried apples, dehydrated honey, dried organic kelp, dried garlic, minerals [tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, iron amino acid chelate, potassium iodide, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite], taurine, vitamins [vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement]
- Flavor and texture work great with most dogs, including seniors with missing teeth
- Human-grade nature of ingredients offers unmatched quality
- Dehydrated food weighs less and takes up less space than big bags of kibble
- Preparation and cleanup are more time-consuming than other options
- More expensive than kibble, but feeding a petite Yorkshire terrier shouldn’t set you back too much
About: Support your Yorkie’s teeth with Purina Pro Plan DH Small Bites, a veterinary diet that’s accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council for helping control canine tartar. Each kibblet is shaped and textured to aid in cleaning teeth, while the size works great with small jaws.
- Real meat is the first ingredient, followed by protein-rich chicken meal
- Grain-inclusive recipe helps keep your Yorkshire terrier satisfied and running strong between meals
- Designed by veterinary experts to aid in dog dental health
- Made in the USA
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Ground Wheat,,...,
Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Animal Liver Flavor, Glycerin, Salt, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Calcium Carbonate, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Phosphoric Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Mono And Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, (Vitamin B-3), Potassium Sorbate (A Preservative), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Garlic Oil, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Calcium Iodate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin Vitamin B-7), Sodium Selenite
- Vet-designed to aid in dental health
- Has the VOHC seal of approval for controlling tartar
- Most doggos seem to like the taste
- Requires a prescription from your vet
- Contains some controversial ingredients for pet parents, like corn and corn gluten meal
12. Sundays Food for Dogs
About: Support your sniffer’s sensitive stomach with Sundays Food for Dogs, containing belly-boosting fiber from pumpkin and flaxseed and fats for coat health. Air-dried, this lightweight food’s easier to carry and store than bulky bags of kibble and more affordable than fresh dog food.
- Ships to your door for maximum convenience
- Available in beef, chicken, and turkey recipes
- Meets AAFCO nutrient profile for adult maintenance
- Made in the USA with human-grade ingredients and no synthetic additives
Chicken, Chicken Liver, Egg, Millet, Oat,...,
Pumpkin, Kale, Ground Bone, Fish Oil, Sea Salt, Flaxseed, Parsley, Turmeric, Chicory Root, Kelp, Mixed Tocopherols (Preservative), Ginger, Blueberries, Carrots, Apples, Tomatoes, Shiitake Mushrooms, Broccoli, Oranges, Cranberries, Spinach, Beets, Tart Cherries, Strawberries
- Fiber-rich, focused ingredient list suits dogs with food sensitivities
- More affordable and shelf stable than feeding fresh dog food but still made with premium ingredients
- Ships right to your door
- Pricier than feeding kibble
- Protein options are limited
13. Primal Freeze-Dried Nuggets
About: Primal Freeze-Dried Nuggets are a meat-rich meal you can rehydrate with warm water or broth, creating a delicious dinner your Yorkshire terrier will love. Featuring USDA fibrous organic fruits and vegetables for digestive health and humanely sourced, high-quality proteins, this freeze-dried food is crafted with care.
- Ground bone offers calcium for aiding in skeletal health
- Offered in chicken, beef, duck, pork, rabbit, venison, turkey and sardine, and lamb recipes
- Doesn’t contain lentils or legumes
- Made in the USA without corn, soy, wheat, gluten, and grain
Chicken (with ground bone), Chicken Livers, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Kale,...,
Organic Apples, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Organic Broccoli, Organic Blueberries, Organic Cranberries, Organic Parsley, Organic Rosemary Extract, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Montmorillonite Clay, Fish Oil, Organic Quinoa, Organic Coconut Oil, Vitamin E Supplement, Organic Ground Alfalfa, Dried Organic Kelp, Zinc Sulfate
- Freeze-dried food is more enticing to picky pups (which Yorkies notoriously are)
- Excellent mix of protein options
- Rich in healthy fats for nourishing your Yorkie’s skin and coat health
- Can be too rich for some dogs’ tummies
- More expensive than everyday kibble
Specific Considerations for Feeding a Yorkshire Terrier
While all dogs have broadly similar nutritional requirements, there are a few specific things you’ll want to consider when picking out food for your Yorkshire terrier.
- Bigger isn’t better. Yorkies are small dogs with small mouths. You’ll want to find a small kibble (or fresh or wet food) to accommodate their size.
- Seek out calorie-dense dog foods with whole grains. Whole grains can offer more consistent energy levels to help your Yorkshire terrier feel her best. Calorie-rich foods may also be important and help prevent hypoglycemia for Yorkies since small dogs burn calories quickly.
- Opt for moderate protein levels. While these small dogs can be surprisingly sporty with strong muscles, they don’t need super high protein levels to fuel their fun. Just be sure high-quality proteins are at the top of the ingredient list, meaning a whole meat rather than a meal or by-product. If feeding food with meat meals, make sure they’re labeled, like lamb meal.
- Some Yorkies can have sensitive stomachs. Unfortunately, Yorkshire terriers can have somewhat sensitive stomachs, so it’s a good idea to seek out dog foods full of probiotics and prebiotic fibers (you can also add standalone dog probiotic supplements to your pup’s food if need be). These can help keep an upset stomach at bay.
- Omega 3s will help maintain a healthy coat. Foods with omega-3s can help keep up the shine and softness of your best buddy’s coat. With such silky coats, fur health is essential with Yorkies from the inside out. These fatty acids also aid in eye health.
- Crunchy texture helps clean teeth. Like many small breed dogs, Yorkshire terriers are prone to dental issues. In conjunction with regularly brushing your barker’s teeth, feeding crunchy dry kibble can help clean away buildup and keep dental disease at bay.
- Allergies may be a concern. Allergies are among the common health issues seen in Yorkies. These can show as skin allergies like itchy patches or digestive reactions like vomiting. In addition to working with your vet, consider looking at a limited-ingredient food with focused high-quality ingredients to prevent allergic reactions.
Best Dog Food for Yorkies: FAQ
Still have questions about how to pick the best dog food for Yorkies from our list? Check out these commonly asked questions and their respective answers.
Do Yorkies need special food?
Yorkies have special diet needs compared to other dogs, like smaller kibblet sizes for easier eats, a focus on dental health, and higher calorie count per bite due to their tiny tummies. Luckily, most small-breed dog foods are designed to meet these special features and nutritional requirements. It’s also a good idea to look for food with omega-3s to support coat health.
Yorkshire terriers with a health condition may require special food as well. A working pup may need more protein to nourish lean muscles, too. In these cases, it’s best to go to your vet for recommendations.
Should Yorkies eat wet or dry food?
Ideally, Yorkies should eat dry dog food to help keep their teeth clean, as the breed’s prone to dental issues and benefits from the cleaning crunch of dry kibble. That said, your dog can still enjoy wet food brands like Merrick as long as you keep up with routine toothbrushing and dental cleanings. Also, ask your vet to ensure an all-wet diet is a good pick for your Yorkshire terrier and meets all necessary nutritional requirements.
How much should a Yorkie eat daily?
The proper feeding amount for Yorkies varies by doggo and dog food. A young, active Yorkshire terrier will burn more calories per day than an older, sedentary sniffer, for instance. Everything from life stages to activity level can affect caloric needs. Certain foods are also calorically dense, requiring less food at mealtime.
Refer to the feeding instructions on your pup’s food for a proper serving size. You can also ask your vet for advice if you’re worried your Yorkshire terrier is too thin or packing on pounds.
Is dry food good for Yorkies?
Dry dog food is a good pick for Yorkies; just be sure that its kibble pieces are small enough for your dog to eat. Dry dog food’s great for cleaning your pup’s teeth between brushings.
Features to look for in a Yorkshire terrier’s dry food are omega-3s for a healthy coat and skin, quality proteins for developing lean muscles, and a great taste, often boosted with chicken fat. Great dry dog food brands include Blue Buffalo, Royal Canin, and Wellness.
There’s no doubt that our Yorkies deserve the absolute best. Hopefully, one of these high-quality dog foods will help fuel your furry friend for years to come.
Has your Yorkshire terrier tried any of our picks for the best dog food for Yorkies? What’s your favorite thing about being a Yorkshire terrier owner? We’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!